[rec.music.gaffa] Idioglossia: the language of twins

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/02/90)

Really-From: gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor)

In article <7921@scolex.sco.COM> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Rumor has it that the Cocteau Twins often sing in Esperanto.
>Is this truth or fiction?  Anyone know anything about this?

In the middle of an interview with Harold Budd for my radio show, I
asked him about precisely this, since he's worked with Liz Fraser
before. He says that she does, indeed, sing in English. The lyrics
are quite often merely lists of words chosen for sound or the sound
they have when she alters the pronunciation.
--
history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/90)

Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

Gregory Taylor ends his post:

> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.

!!!!  Where is this from!!??!! It seems familiar, but maybe I've just seen a
it is a quote from a song I'd like to track it down...

On the subject of Liz Fraser's lyrics, KaTe's whispers in SiG, etc., I just
bought the Pylon compilation CD (containing most of their first and second
albums) and, lo and behold, it had lyrics.  I've been looking for the lyrics
to _Crazy_ for a long time, but, truth is, I was disappointed when I read
them.  Now I've got this sneaking fear that Liz Fraser is really writing
about ant farming, and REM's "Murmur" is about deficit spending.  As long
as we all *don't* agree on all of Ms. Bush's mysterious whispers, groans,
and shrieks, they'll continue to leave me pleasantly baffled.

This just popped into my head, so don't jump all over me, but I think one
of the problems I have with some of the songs on _TSW_ is the relative
directness of the lyrics.  I'm gonna have to get the lyrics before I give
examples, but certainly the lyrics that stick with me most strongly from
_TWS_ are from "Rocket's Tail" (sic);  the language and imagery is clear,
simple, concise, and utterly baffling.  These are the traits of, for example,
"Get Out of My House", "Hounds of Love", etc. etc. etc. that keep me
up late repeating sections of KaTe's albums and wading through this newsgroup...

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Go stick your head in a pig!"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/90)

Really-From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>

>Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

>Gregory Taylor ends his post:

>> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
>> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
>> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
>> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.
>
>!!!!  Where is this from!!??!! It seems familiar, but maybe I've just seen a
>it is a quote from a song I'd like to track it down...

Yup, it's from a song..._very_ easy to 'track down,' too.

The song is "The Dream Before," by Laurie Anderson, from her most recent
album, _Strange Angels_.

Go buy this album.

Jeff

"Strange angels -- singing just for me
 Old stories -- they're haungint me
 This is nothing
 Like I thought it would be."

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/09/90)

Really-From: dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank)

> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.

If you are going to quote someone, please give the artist credit! It's
only polite and can give a pointer to others if they want to find the
music you cite (in this case, finding Laurie Anderson would certainly
be to their benefit, IMHO).
              Peace,
                dNb

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/09/90)

Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

> Really-From: gtaylor@vme.heurikon.com (Gregory Taylor)
>

> In article <7921@scolex.sco.COM> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
> >Rumor has it that the Cocteau Twins often sing in Esperanto.
> >Is this truth or fiction?  Anyone know anything about this?
>
> In the middle of an interview with Harold Budd for my radio show, I
> asked him about precisely this, since he's worked with Liz Fraser
> before. He says that she does, indeed, sing in English. The lyrics
> are quite often merely lists of words chosen for sound or the sound
> they have when she alters the pronunciation.
> --
> history is an angel/being blown backwards into the future/ and the angel
> wants to go back and fix things/to repair the things that have been broken
> /but there is a storm blowing from paradise/and the storm keeps blowing
> the angel/backwards into the future/and this storm is called progress.

wow.  I was able to discern a few words from Cocteau songs, e.g. the titles
of the songs, but for the most part, they are sounds, I guess.
There was an article in a mag in response to someone's request for Cocteau
lyrics...but, they aren't available because they are just weird
pronunciations...
Anyway, I recognized the lyrics from "The Dream Before"...
Hello, fellow Laurie Anderson fan!  and Cocteau Twins!  and Kate Bush!
I've been trying to order "Home of the Brave" (video), but to no avail.
Have you heard "United States I-IV"??? It's expensive, but it's a must for
Laurie Anderson fans...

whatever...

"I -- I feel -- feel like -- I am -- in a burning building
 and I gotta go"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/14/90)

Really-From: wnoe@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Bill Noe)

In article <9010081849.AA02272@meshugge.media.mit.edu.noname> you write:

>If you are going to quote someone, please give the artist credit! It's
>only polite and can give a pointer to others if they want to find the
>music you cite (in this case, finding Laurie Anderson would certainly
>be to their benefit, IMHO).
>              Peace,
>                dNb

If you had read the post, you would have understood that the writer
did not know who the artist was.  No use wasting bandwidth at any
rate.  Use e-mail please.

...B

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/17/90)

Really-From: NEWSMGR@kontu.utu.fi