[rec.music.gaffa] A devine religious experience

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/13/90)

Really-From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>

Hi,
        Jem here. Ive been reading Love-hounds for about a year or so now,
never really been into KT (certainly no LoveHound), but its allways been
a good source of info on many things, and hell, the people are nice. Ive made
the odd contribution, but nothing KT relaTed.

        About two weeks ago, something very strange happened.

After a year of having no Hi-Fi, I moved all my gear onto the boat where I live,
and was listening to all sorts of stuff.
One evening I put on Fairport Conventions "In Real Time" and played it really
low. At the end of 'The Hiring Fair' a track which is soooo mellow, you can't
play anything after it unless its even more mellow, I looked for something
else to put on that would keep me in the same mood.

        At the back of the tape drawers I found a tape I'd forgotten I owned...

It said.....            Kate Bush...Lionheart.

Ok, thinks me. Lets see what these LoveHounds have been raving about.

Tape in.
Close drawer.
Play........
(Listening to tape)

        (OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENINGITISNTSUPPOSEDTOBELIKETHIS!)

...........End of tape.

Ill leave you to work out what happened while it was playing, I'm sure you
have all gone through the same, somewhat indescribeable experience.
Needless to say, the end of the tape finds me sitting perfectly still,
in a daze, sweating slightly (I kid you not).

That was two weeks or so ago. Now, having had no money to buy any more albums,
my copy of Lionheart has just about had it. I have been listening to it
CONSTANTLY since I heard it. We are talking 4 or 5 times an evening, playing,
turning over, playing again, and so on.
I managed to find a copy of The Whole Story video, brand new, on a market stall
for a fiver (borrowed the money straight away!).

My local record shop's going to love me when I get paid!!!

One of the nicest things (and the reason for this note) is that It probably
would never have happened if it were not for me reading this list. I really
picked up on it because I could recognise bits before Id even heard it. You
dont read a list like this for a year and not learn anything.
What I'm trying to say is THANKYOU LoveHounds for making me actually pick up
the tape and listen. You don't know how good it makes me feel.

Guess I'm too late for the Con. though :-(

Cuddles, kisses and general KaTeness,
                Jem.
                < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >
" When all the alley cats come out, I can hear music from Kashkas house..."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/14/90)

Really-From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)

In article <05B487C352FF201F98@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
>
>Hi,
>        Jem here. Ive been reading Love-hounds for about a year or so now,
>never really been into KT (certainly no LoveHound), but its allways been
>a good source of info on many things, and hell, the people are nice. Ive made
>        About two weeks ago, something very strange happened.
>

>        At the back of the tape drawers I found a tape I'd forgotten I owned...
>
>It said.....            Kate Bush...Lionheart.
>
>        (OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENINGITISNTSUPPOSEDTOBELIKETHIS!)
>
>...........End of tape.
>Ill leave you to work out what happened while it was playing, I'm sure you
>have all gone through the same, somewhat indescribeable experience.
>Needless to say, the end of the tape finds me sitting perfectly still,
>in a daze, sweating slightly (I kid you not).
>
>Guess I'm too late for the Con. though :-(
>Cuddles, kisses and general KaTeness,
>                Jem.
>                < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >
>" When all the alley cats come out, I can hear music from Kashkas house..."

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

You're right about it being indescribable. I felt that way the first time I
heard Kate. Pop tape in...press Play...the first few notes of Wuthering Heights
tickle my brain...Kate starts singing.....and....withing 30 seconds I knew
I'd begun a love affair that would last me the rest of my life! I had no
idea it would CHANGE my life the way it has. I wouldn't be where I am now,
I would never have met Chris, I would never have gotten a radio show, I
wouldn't "know" all you wonderful Love-Hounds, I wouldn't be going to
England in just a couple of days...on&on&on&on. I have Kate to thank for
my entire life-style. That's the honest truth.

She really i!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kate Bush Jem!!!!!!

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

Unbelieveable!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@world.std.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/15/90)

Really-From: loiselle@cs.umass.edu (Cindy, the Coaster Rider)

Jem shares her sprititual awakening upon listening to Lionheart with us....

>        About two weeks ago, something very strange happened.
>
> Tape in.
> Close drawer.
> Play........
> (Listening to tape)
>
>        (OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENINGITISNTSUPPOSEDTOBELIKETHIS!)
>
> ............End of tape.
>
> Ill leave you to work out what happened while it was playing, I'm sure you
> have all gone through the same, somewhat indescribeable experience.
> Needless to say, the end of the tape finds me sitting perfectly still,
> in a daze, sweating slightly (I kid you not).

Welcome, Jem!  My conversion to KaTedom was not that long ago and I think
many of us *do* know what you've been through.  For me, it was more like not
being able to breath quite properly after hearing  _The Dreaming_.

And all this from _Lionheart_!  She truly is!
(No flames, I love _Lionheart_, but the other albums can give me a much
stronger "KaTe reaction."  The goosebumps are rarer with this one.)

Ooooh, just wait 'til you hear the rest!!!!

> What I'm trying to say is THANKYOU LoveHounds for making me actually pick up
> the tape and listen. You don't know how good it makes me feel.

My conversion was also at least partly prompted by reading Love-Hounds (and
mostly prompted by a particular Love Hound's review of _The Sensual World_
in the local college paper, thanks Jon!)  So let me add my "thanks" to
Jem's.  It's nice to be reminded.

It's aways nice to hear another conversion story!

                                           Cindy