[rec.music.gaffa] Convention video question

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (11/21/90)

Somebody said that the video that they showed will never be sold.  Is that
something they said at the convention or a guess or what?  I (and I am sure
all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see it.

Michael

(T, if she comes to NY, do we have a date? M)

Michael Kaufman  | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
  kaufman        | on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter
   @eecs.nwu.edu | in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All these moments will

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/23/90)

Really-From: mas@bucsf.bu.edu (quite mad)

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) asks:

   Somebody said that the video that they showed will never be sold.  Is that
   something they said at the convention or a guess or what?  I (and I am sure
   all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see it.

I seem to remember that someone in the audience yelled out that the video
should be sold or made available or something like that.  I think it
was Dave (?) (the MC guy) who kind of rolled his eyes, looked at the
other Homeground people on the stage with I kind of "O my god,
wouldn't that be a task" look on his face, and said that it would
probably never happen.  I don't remember if he said why not, though.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/24/90)

Really-From: Chris Ridd <RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.uk>

quite mad (mas@bucsf.bu.edu) writes:
>kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) asks:
>
>   Somebody said that the video that they showed will never be sold.  Is that
>   something they said at the convention or a guess or what?  I (and I am sure
>   all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see it.
>
>I seem to remember that someone in the audience yelled out that the video
>should be sold or made available or something like that.  I think it
>was Dave (?) (the MC guy) who kind of rolled his eyes, looked at the
>other Homeground people on the stage with I kind of "O my god,
>wouldn't that be a task" look on his face, and said that it would
>probably never happen.  I don't remember if he said why not, though.

  I think it was something to do with getting the rights to include
film from all the different TV companies across Europe being VERY
difficult (ie. impossible) to arrange.  Alas.

  A huge hello to all the fine Love Hounds I met at the Convention!
In no particular order: Ed, Chris'n'Vickie, Larry, Phil, Rick, Greg,
Andy Marvick, Andy Semple, Evan, Jorn, and everyone else!  It was
great actually seeing you all and it made the day really special!  Hi
also to the rest of the Love Hounds 'B' team!  Shame we were only
second...

  A Love Hound asked who Alan Murphy and Gary Hurst were: Alan was a
guitarist who had played on *most* of Kate's albums, I think he was
also in a band called Go West, but I could be wrong.  He helped Kate
write 'Waking the Witch'.  Gary was one of the dancers in the Tour of
Life, and may have done some BVs on a few albums as well.  They both
died from AIDS last year.

   Chris

-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/25/90)

Really-From: Richard.Bollar@f110.n133.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Bollar)

 > kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) asks:
 >
 >    Somebody said that the video that they showed will never
 > be sold.  Is that
 >    something they said at the convention or a guess or what?
 > I (and I am sure
 >    all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see
 > it.
 >
 > I seem to remember that someone in the audience yelled out
 > that the video
 > should be sold or made available or something like that.  I
 > think it
 > was Dave (?) (the MC guy) who kind of rolled his eyes, looked
 > at the
 > other Homeground people on the stage with I kind of "O my
 > god,
 > wouldn't that be a task" look on his face, and said that it
 > would
 > probably never happen.  I don't remember if he said why not,
 > though.

(Sorry for the ugly quote)

The reason announced at the KonvenTion was "imagine how difficult the
international copyright clearances would be."

So, to me, this means that we'll never see an "official" version, but I'm
sure that we'll see an unofficial version available at some of the Record
Conventions within the year.  Further, the entire Kon was video taped, and I
wonder how long it'll be before we can get our hands on that!?

Cheers!

Rick Bollar

f110.n133.z1.fidonet.org!Richard.Bollar

Richard Bollar - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!110!Richard.Bollar
INTERNET: Richard.Bollar@f110.n133.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/25/90)

Really-From: Richard.Bollar@f110.n133.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Bollar)

 > Really-From: Chris Ridd
 > <RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.uk>
 >
 > quite mad (mas@bucsf.bu.edu) writes:

 > Hi also to the rest of the Love Hounds 'B' team!  Shame we were
 > only second...

Isn't that the truth!  I almost became QUITE depressed when I realized that
between all of the Love-Hounds teams, we had ALL the proper answers.  Seems
that we had the one answer that Love-Hounds "A" didn't get right.  (Then
again, I do recall their helping us with more than a few!

                        Rick Bollar

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/26/90)

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

In article <754.274FEB92@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG> you write:
>Really-From: Richard.Bollar@f110.n133.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Bollar)

>So, to me, this means that we'll never see an "official" version, but I'm
>sure that we'll see an unofficial version available at some of the Record
>Conventions within the year.  Further, the entire Kon was video taped, and I
>wonder how long it'll be before we can get our hands on that!?

Uh, I wouldn't count on this if I were you.  The Homeground people (Dave,
Peter, et al) have some absolutely incredible stuff that they simply will
not copy for anyone at all.  They explained that they are in the wonderful
situation where the Bush family actually trusts them, and they don't want
to do anything to destroy their trust.   You'll have to trust me when I
say that they have some things many love-hounds would kill for!  Yet none
of it has ever gotten out of their house.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/27/90)

Really-From: Richard.Bollar@f110.n133.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Richard Bollar)

 > Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

 > Uh, I wouldn't count on this if I were you.  The Homeground people (Dave,
 > Peter, et al) have some absolutely incredible stuff that they simply will
 > not copy for anyone at all.  They explained that they are in the
 > wonderful situation where the Bush family actually trusts them, and
 > they don't want to do anything to destroy their trust.   You'll have to
 > trust me when I say that they have some things many love-hounds would
 > kill for!  Yet none of it has ever gotten out of their house.

Well, waiting for it's not going to keep me awake at night.  What made me
think that it might become available is simply the fact that the project of
releasing this thing officially will be mainly insurmountable.  It might be
in the Bush family's interest to see it "leaked"

Yeah, I know....  Suffering from the conspiracy theory again!  Maybe if I
wish hard enough, it'll happen anyway.