[rec.music.gaffa] BucKeTs o' Stuff

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/18/90)

Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

Maybe rather than sit here watching each and every piece of news as
it arrives on our system hoping that one of our friends has been kind
enough to send a news flash about today's KonvenTion I'll sort
through the mail bag.

----

spt1@ukc.ac.uk (Stephen Thomas) writes:

> Actually, if you look carefully, the picture in the booklet is *not* the
> same photograph as _The Dreaming_ cover at all - at least, not in my
> booklet.  Compare the way her hair falls across her forehead and look
> at the direction her eyes are looking.  Just thought I'd mention that ...

You are, of course, correct.  These are different photos.  I nasty rap
on the proverbial knuckles for my inattentiveness.  In any case the
color photo is essential to do justice to Those Eyes.

---- (Still no word...)

gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert) writes:

> Richard Caldwell says
> > It's a shame that CDs are destroying album art.
>
> It's a shame that the record companies are destroying album art;  the CD
> format is admittedly much smaller, but there are still a lot of possibilities
> for interesting art.  Rykodisc's Bowie reissues are a good example of
[examples deleted]

While I agree that a lot more could be done with the format than is
currently the norm, this normally entails art that must be folded to
fit the standard CD case.  The resulting creases often detract as much
from the art as a smaller size would have.

---- (Still no word...)

Gary Hill <G.J.Hill@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> >Some do not have the entire collection on CD, some do not have the
> >original UK pressings, some have never even heard many of the B-sides,
>
> The records/CDs in the box set are not original UK pressings, the
> 1st  four albums have been on the mid-priced Fame record label for at
> least 4 years in the UK and these are the albums that are distributed
> with the box.

I'm not sure that this is correct.  I cannot locate any indication of
the Fame record label on my CDs.  They appear to be UK EMI pressings
except for _The Dreaming_ which appears to be the Nimbus pressing.  If
someone would care to indicate how one can check this for certain I
would be in their debt.  Perhaps I am confused on this issue.

> I considered buying the box until I saw the ridiculous
> price being charged (70# sterling for LPs). When you consider that the
> first four LPs are five pounds each and the last two around eight
> pounds, the three others (I understand there are three LPs for the TWW
> stuff?) then come in at 11 pounds each which is the going rate for a
> single CD!

If I have my exchange rates correct that certainly seems steep.  I
can't speak to the issue of UK pricing but the US price is roughly
appropriate for eight imported CDs.  The album price is about the
same as the CD price but this is more a symptom of the increasing
rarity of vinyl than any sort of scam on Kate's part.  In any case
buying the Anthology on LP as anything but a collector's item seems a
bit like buying expensive sculptures done in butter to me.

Another issue that was never made entirely clear was whether of not
the Anthology would be a limited edition.  If this is the case it has
a good deal of bearing on the pricing.

> I just hope that the record company do what hapeened with a recent
> Jethro Tull box set and release the new stuff separately. Or I'll wait
> a while for the price to halve like it did  with the Bruce Springsteen
> 5LP set.

And then we'll hear the squeals of those who bought the anthology to
get just the rarities and B sides.   Caveat Emptor.  Don't buy the set
unless you want exactly what it has to offer and are willing to pay
the price.

---- (Still no word...)

The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
writes of his Enlightenment:

> Ok, thinks me. Lets see what these LoveHounds have been raving about.
>         (OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISHAPPENINGITISNTSUPPOSEDTOBELIKETHIS!)
> Ill leave you to work out what happened while it was playing, I'm sure you
> have all gone through the same, somewhat indescribeable experience.
> Needless to say, the end of the tape finds me sitting perfectly still,
> in a daze, sweating slightly (I kid you not).

It's always a pleasure to read these accounts because it brings back
such clear memories of my own Enlightenment.  I'm sure many other
Love-Hounds feel the same way.

> I managed to find a copy of The Whole Story video, brand new, on a
> market stall for a fiver (borrowed the money straight away!).

And how pleased you must have been to find that Kate's divinity
encompasses the visual realm as well as the aural.

> What I'm trying to say is THANKYOU LoveHounds for making me actually pick up
> the tape and listen. You don't know how good it makes me feel.

You're welcome!

---- (Still no word...)

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/07/90)

Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

It's been quite a nice week for KT stuff here.  Not only did a friend
find a copy of _The Whole Story_ biography for us but our order arrived from
Burning Airlines with, well, bucKeTs o' stuff, including the _Visual
Documentary_.

----

Neil Calton notes:

> Just a small point about the box sets. Nobody has mentioned the fact that
> as the LPs are on 3 discs and the CDs on two, you get an extra photo of
> Kate on the sleeve of the third TWW LP.

You've convinced me.  I'll buy the LP set as well as the CDs just for
the larger booklet and the extra picture.  Of course then I'll have
to complain that I was ripped off...   Now if only my importer would
come the promised LP set. <sigh>

-----

David N. Blank writes:

> Someone predicted that she would be much speedier in her output,
> thanks a piano-driven style.  Here's an alternative reading:
>   Perhaps the B-sides will get put out a bit slowly.  Perhaps she
> will tour on her boxed set/b-sides release. Most other groups that put
> out sets seem to be doing this deal?  Whadd'ya think, Watson?

I would be surprised.  First of all it will be much too late to
promote the boxed set and the rumored B-sides only release was rumored
only as an American release.

I'm guessing that any tour will be pushed out far enough to accommodate
the release of a new album.  Soon after the tour I imagine that we'll
see at least a live video of it and possible a live album as well.
Why?   Because the Bush clan's irritation with bootlegs was evident in
Lisa's remarks at the convention and the only way to avert bootlegs is
to release an official version of your own.

-----

Chris of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago writes:

>   Those who are concerned can rest easy that someone close to Kate
> is aware that not everyone is happy with the Box Set, though I'm
> afraid I may have made a bit of an ass of myself in the process.

And I hope that if this news is passed along, it's passed along with a
word of advice that trying to please everyone will lead to nothing but
grey hair.

> [Discussion of why Kate wouldn't want her performance bootlegged]
>   Lisa replied that "Well, it's a violation of trust, isn't it?" I
> believe I looked very skeptical as she changed her tack and said,
> "Well it's really the loss of control."

Bingo.  How anyone could think that Kate could approve of people
making money by selling recordings of her that do not meet her
standards is beyond me.

>   This brought about the question of who controlled the box set,
> Kate or EMI. She said EMI, and I pointed out that EMI said the final
> decision had been Kate's. She didn't reply to that and I said that
> Andy and Derek had put together a very good set that had been rejected.

It's doubtful that EMI ever saw Andy and Derek's list before the Anthology
was carved in stone.  Their list also contained many items that would
have been difficult to secure rights to and others that obviously
would not have met Kate's standards without a great deal of work if at
all.

>   I believe I may have gotten a little frantic in telling her that the
> Box Set was a "God-Damn rip-off". Well, it was a very emotional day.

Ahem.  I've spoken about this before so I'll try not to belabor the
point.  The Anthology may not have been the collection of unavailable
recordings that some would have liked to have seen but that does not
make it a rip-off.  There is some question of highly variable pricing
but I doubt that Kate had any input on that.

>   I'm in the process of writing a nice little note of apology, as was
> suggested by David Cross. Our feelings are not stopping us from buying
> _two_ box sets, though.

<sigh> Why do I have trouble mustering sympathy when you buy two of
something and then complain that it's a rip-off?

> The Club newsletter was an enormous rip-off for
> American fans for a number of years (one year passed without a single
> newsletter).

Now this I can agree with.  A product was being sold that simply did
not exist for at least a year.  Where fans expected to renew their
memberships after this year of silence?

----

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris) writes:

> I'd rather an English Love-hound were to send Peter the printouts
> because he'd get them faster and wouldn't have to pay so much for
> overseas airmail rates. I've asked Neil Calton and if he can't then

How silly of me.  Sometimes these wondrous electronic devices cause
me to forget that there is a large body of water between here and The
Land of Our Lady and that the postal service charges a princely sum to
carry large bundles of printouts across it.  Well, it's the thought
that counts!