[rec.music.gaffa] Prisoners of Conscience

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/28/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

Kate will be presenting two programmes in the Prisoners of Conscience
series on Thursday 6th December on BBC-2 at 1955 and 0000. Both slots
are 5 minutes long. These programmes are designed to highlight innocent people
jailed for their beliefs and Kate will be telling the stories of two such
prisoners.
Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/29/90)

Really-From: ryan@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (Ryan McGuire)

>Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
>
>Kate will be presenting two programmes in the Prisoners of Conscience
>series on Thursday 6th December on BBC-2 at 1955 and 0000. Both slots
>are 5 minutes long. These programmes are designed to highlight innocent people
>jailed for their beliefs and Kate will be telling the stories of two such
>prisoners.

I know I should r>eply instead of f>ollowup, but I wanted anyone with
access to this show to see this.

TAPE IT IF YOU CAN.

I'm sure that some of us US Love Hounds would be interested in seeing it.
I would travel out there again but that last trip to London pretty well
drained my Visa :^).

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/10/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

Just for the record - the two people who Kate spoke on behalf of in the
Prisoners of Conscience spot last Thursday on BBC 2 were both South Koreans
imprisoned by their government for supposedly collaborating with the North.
Kate described their work, the reasons why they had been imprisoned and
their current condition (as far as it was known).

They were Hong Song-Dam a woodcut artist and Chang Ui-gyun a poet. Both had
been jailed under feeble contexts and tortured. I have no information as
to whether Kate chose these people herself from a list offered by
Amnesty International or whether she offered her services for whoever they
wanted to select.
Neil
--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/13/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

>From: Andrew B Marvick <abm4@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
>Thanks to all for the timely descriptions of the _Passing_Through_Air_ CD
>and (to Neil) for mention of Kate on _Prisoners_of_Conscience_. Neil,
>please let us know: did Kate actually appear on camera? If so, for
what proportion of total programme-time? What did the film look like?
>Was there any sign of who wrote the text that Kate read? Was there any
>music? Etc. Thanks.

Kate spoke directly to camera during both programmes which as I said earlier
were each only 5 minutes in duration. Kate was seated and seen in
either head and shoulder shots or from the waist up. Kate spoke for the
entire programme and there were intercuts of photos of the two men and their
families and, in the case of the artist, photos of some of his work.

Kate spoke in a very formal, pronounced style; almost certainly from
an autocue. The script gave quite detailed accounts of the two men,
their work, and their treatment by the state. I would say it was highly
unlikely that Kate wrote it. The programmes did not have any credits at
the end to indicate who had been involved in their making (someone within
Amnesty International almost certainly). There was no music during the
programmes but each one (there were 2 such programmes each day for a
fortnight) began and ended with a piece of music which sounded like a
Peter Gabriel tune (perhaps some other UK Lovehound knows what this was?)

Neil

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/14/90)

Really-From: E Welsh <evan@castle.ed.ac.uk>

In article <9012131030.AA08687@judas> Neil writes:
>Amnesty International almost certainly). There was no music during the
>programmes but each one (there were 2 such programmes each day for a
>fortnight) began and ended with a piece of music which sounded like a
>Peter Gabriel tune (perhaps some other UK Lovehound knows what this was?)

It sounded like Sting to me.

/  __               /\ evan@castle.ed.ac.uk   /\ I went...             \
\ |_     \    /     \/ rew@lfcs.ed.ac.uk      \/ I saw...              /
/ |__VAN  \/\/ELSH  /\ evan@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk/\ She sang...           \