[rec.music.gaffa] Report on failed mail

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 20-DEC-1990 13:05

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Subj:

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue)

To: ucsd!rec-music-gaffa
From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Kate Box Sey
Date: 20 Dec 90 09:16:03 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: thegrodd@tz.wimsey.bc.ca (The Grodd)
>
>The box set is available for a mere $90 Canadian if you're willing to trukck
>all the way out here to Vancouver.

Wow i figured out how to use the yank feature!  Is this at all stores in
Vancouver or just one? Whic  one?  Is $90 Canadain more than $90 american or
less.  Thanks
Ron "I still don't have the boxed set cause of the convention-visa card blues"
Hill

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Date: Thu Dec 20 01:16:03 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 20-DEC-1990 14:15

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Subj: Re : Variable Pricing

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)

Andy Gough stated:

>    Well, I know what he's going to say about the U.S. prices anyhow.  It is
>illegal under the anti-trust laws for a manufacturer to set the retail prices
>for its products.  So the retailer is free to set whatever price he can get
>away with.  Manufacturers try to get around this in various ways, the primary
>one being the printing of a "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" on the
>package.
>     So EMI has no control over the price in the U.S..  In other countries
>they probably do.

True, it is not possible or legal to control the price where it is not legal
to sell it.  I have been curious about CDs which come in different versions in
the US and elsewhere.  Importers rarely touch stuff which has precisely the
same song selection (parallel import restrictions) yet they deal with import
CDs of the same album if they have extra tracks on them compared to the US
release.  They flout the regulations then.  This would seem to apply to the
boxed set where the b-sides discs are not available in the US otherwise on CD.
If the situation is related to copyright of an artist rather than specific
songs I am not sure I understand why these importers have a double standard.
Any ideas?

>     You also say, "The only justification for such prices is because it is
>what the market will bare.  I personally believe that consumers deserve more
>respect."  I wonder what alternative to the free market system you are
>proposing?  If you were EMI, or an owner of a record store, what policy would
>you use to price the box set?  Would you sell them for $125 when you could
>sell just as many for $175?

I do not advocate a completely free market. And no I am not a Communist.
There has to be some regulation or we'd be choking on polluted air as we die
of poisoning from unregulated products.  I think there should be a balance
between the free market and regulation.  I am not going to suggest what that
balance would be.  Ideally if I were running a business I would strike a
balance between making a fair profit to maintain business and perhaps growth
but I would not try to rip off the customer.  It is likely I probably would
not stay in business long, I suppose.  I think adequate profit for the boxed
set should be approximately the same percentage that is made on other regular
import CDs.  Cost of a normal import is on average $16 to a store.  It sells
for around $20.  Thus 25% seems appropriate. At $125 cost I would charge
approx $155.  That is a lot cheaper than what most stores charge in the US.
Anything above that is excessve profit making IMHO. Extra shipping costs to
the store might add a little extra so perhaps $160 is also fair.  Still, this
is far less than the average US price.  I commend those who are being
competitive with this price.

I believe that establishing a good relationship with a clientele and expansion
of said by word of mouth due to fairness and good service is ideally how a
business should be run.

In the UK I am convinced that CD prices are artificially high due to excessive
profiteering by various links in the chain from manufacturer to customer.

This is my last post for a week.

I'll read my flack in a week or so :)

Happy holidays everyone and thank you for adding to my life this past year.

Here's to a fanTasTiK 1991!

Derek
derek@sunstroke.sdsu.edu

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 11:10:23 PST
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Re : Variable Pricing
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 20-DEC-1990 16:29

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subj: Subliminal Criminals

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@mit.edu>

The following is from an article in the September 4th Village Voice
entitled "Subliminal Criminals".  It is an article on the recent
trial of Judas Priest where they were being sued for allegedly putting
subliminal messages on their albums that caused the suicides of two
Reno teenagers:

	[...] a 32-year-old engineer/producer named Andrew Jackson
	(called to testify because he served as assistant engineer on
	the "Better By You" recording session 13 years ago) is asked
	if he knows any backmasked lyrics in the rock industry.

	"Yes, I do," he says with a Cockney accent so thick he has
	Judge Whitehead straining to understand him.  "I produced a
	band just last month that had a song with the lyric, 'And I
	need someone to lie on. / And I need someone to rely on.'
	Played in reverse that becomes 'Here's me, / Here I am. / What
	we have lost. / I am the messenger of love.'"  (The singer
	memorized the backward phrase, with all its reversals and
	sibilants and plosives, sang it on one track, and that track
	was used -- backward -- as a forward running vocal overdub.)

At a later part in the trial, one of the band members -- to help
defend against the claim of backward subliminal messages -- says that
he recently listened to one of his records backwards and noticed that
there are lots of phrases that sound forwards when played backwards,
even though this was not done intentionally.  It apparently just
happens this way naturally, and you could find such weird backward
nonsense phrases in any forward speech.  He plays a tape he has made
of some backwards excerpts from the album:

	A blast of heavy bass and Glenn Tipton's 32nd-note trill
	accompanies the fragment, "strategic force / they will not,"
	from "Invader."  Its reverse is the insane-sounding but
	entirely audible screech: "It's so fishy, personally I'll owe
	it."  When Halford plays, "They *won't* take our love away,"
	from the same song, the backward, "Hey look, Ma, my chair's
	*broken*," has the court room howling.  McKenna and Lynch are
	livid.

	After a week of suspending my own disbelief, I lost it
	completely when Halford plays his last discovery -- the lines
	"Stand by for Exciter. / Salvation is his task" -- which come
	out backward with an emphatic and high-pitched, "I-I-I as-sked
	her for a peppermint-t-t / I asked for her to *get* one."

To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Subliminal Criminals
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 15:59:50 EST
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 20-DEC-1990 23:09

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subj: Items from the _Billboard_ year-end issue

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

The _Billboard_ year-end issue (dated Dec. 22) just came out.  This
covers the music year from November 1989 to November 1990.  Kate
is mentioned several times.

First, Columbia has a two-page spread crowing about their success over
the year.  (They have a right to be proud; _Billboard_ says they were
the top pop label, with 60 charted albums.  That's almost double
the second place label, Atlantic.)  The ad says:

Years like this don't just happen.  They're built *one* success at a time.
Thanks to our artists for a year of wall to wall success.

About two dozen of their most successful albums are posted on a wall.
Yes, _The Sensual World_ is one of them!

Second, EMI Music Publishing also has a large ad.  Kate is included in a
long list of people who are thanked.

Third, "Love And Anger" is No. 9 on the list of Top Modern Rock Tracks of
the year.

Fourth, and most amazing of all (at least to those of us who became Kate
fans way before _Hounds Of Love_), Kate Bush is No. 18 on the list of
Top Female Pop Album Artists!  She's right between Barbra Streisand and
Belinda Carlisle.

Ed Suranyi             | "I couldn't hope to do it anywhere near as well
ed@das.llnl.gov        |  as Kate Bush because she is a Goddess."
(415) 447-3405         |                 -- Sinead O'Connor

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 20:13:34 PST
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Items from the _Billboard_ year-end issue
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 20-DEC-1990 23:13

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate Pic
Date: 21 Dec 90 03:36:07 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

I was just looking through a Amiga computer magazine (Amiga WOrld Jan 1991)
and in an add for SpectraColor paint program there is what appears to be a
drawing of Kate Bush.  Its a drawing very simular to the cover of the sensual
world album.  Below it says "Kate" by Cherl Austin.  Does anyone know where I
can get it , especially in its orginal Amiga IFF form?  The add says the photo
was created with the program.

To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Date: Thu Dec 20 19:36:08 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 00:29

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subj: (none)

----------------

Really-From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue)

To: ucsd!rec-music-gaffa

Date: 19 Dec 90 23:06:08 GMT
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 04:51

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subj: Re: This Woman's Words

----------------

Really-From: Martin Hanley <mph@praxis.co.uk>

In article <9012180411.AA08454@bunny.gte.com> you write:
>Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
>download and print your own booklets.  I will also be making available
>complete booklets (maybe with glossy covers) -- I see no need at this
>point for any reimbursement beyond that for postage.  Once I get an
>idea how much the booklets weigh, those who choose can send me a
>S.A.S.E. or something...

Would you be willing to send a booklet to England? I'm willing, of
course, to pay all costs. If you will do this, could you mail me
(I unfortunately don't get to read gaffa as often as I would like).

Thanks, for this and for your work on the booklet!

>I trust yalls December is being magic again...  o<|:-{)

And yours.

<martin (mph@praxis.co.uk)

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 09:41:06 GMT
To: Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subject: Re: This Woman's Words
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/24/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 08:02

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@kestrel.ukc.ac.uk
Subj:

----------------

Really-From: Stephen Thomas <spt1@ukc.ac.uk>

To: rec-music-gaffa@kestrel
From: spt1@ukc.ac.uk (Stephen Thomas)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Homeground odds'n'ends
Date: 21 Dec 90 12:18:42 GMT

The new Homeground, no. 40, popped through my door this morning.  It
contains some interesting stuff.

Of course, much is made of the fact that she is going to tour - they
say they have been waiting to print that headline ever since they started
the fanzine.  It seems that very few people knew beforehand - certainly
not the Homeground team, not even Steve Davis.  It seems that a new
album is set for Summer-Autumn '91, too.

Of course, there is much space given over to the Convention.  They run
a story of how it was organised, written by Dave, and Krys wrote another
article describes what went on behind the scenes.  Much to my surprise,
they also printed the article I posted to Love-Hounds (edited somewhat)
giving my impressions of the day.  I had sent a copy to them because I
thought they might be interested.  A strange feeling to be in print...

They also cover the mixed reception given to the boxed set, printing
some of the good reviews and some of the fan's grumblings.  They attempt
to set the record straight by giving the history of the set.  It seems
that originally EMI, at Homeground's request, had wanted to collect all
the B-sides and rarities (only) onto one volume, although they were
unsure of the format.  This project was shelved when TSW was released, but
revived to cover the interregnum between TSW and KBVII, projected for
third quarter '91.

Kate had a different idea though.  She saw here career as entering a
totally new phase, and wanted to round off her previous work more completely.
Hence the complete boxed set.

Homeground do reckon that the pricing is somewhat iffy, however.  The fact
that it is being sold, by retailers, as 8 full price albums, when 4 of
these albums are available at mid-price (in the UK, at least) cannot
be justified.  Apparently, EMI's response to this is "It's a fair cop".

The set is *not* a limited edition, and there were some 30000 units in the
first run, with more if demand is high enough.

Anyway, food for thought.  On 23rd I shall be going home for a couple
of weeks, and will have no net.access during that time.  I wish all
Love-Hounds a Merry Christmas and a Exciting New Year - well, hopefully
we *know* it going to be exciting :-).

Before I forget... Chris'n'Vickie, did you get my card?

Keep well,

Stephen

--
| "You've been having a nightmare.  | Stephen Thomas -------------------------|
|  And it's not over yet."          | Email: spt1@ukc.ac.uk; Smail: Computing |

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 12:18:44 +0000
To: rec-music-gaffa@kestrel.ukc.ac.uk
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 11:50

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subj: Re: Jig of Life poem.

----------------

Really-From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)

>Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
>
>Could someone please post or E-mail the little poem in "Jig of Life"?

Can't you see where memories are kept bright
Tripping on the water like a laughing girl?
Time in her eyes is spawning past life
Run on the ocean and the woman unfurls
Holding all the love that waits for you here.

Catch us now for a I am your future
A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land.
Come over here to where When lingers
Waiting in this empty world.
Waiting for Then when the life spray cools
For Now does ride in on the curl of a wave
And you will dance with me in the sunlit pools.

We are the going water and the gone
We are of water and the holy land of water
And all that's to come runs in
With the thrust on the strand.

---------------

Anybody know if KaTe wrote this part herself or if John Carder not only
recited, but also wrote it?

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 11:13:10 EST
To: Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Jig of Life poem.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 13:18

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subj: Re: Jig of Life poem.

----------------

Really-From: Peter Glen Berger <pb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
>

> >Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
> >
> >Could someone please post or E-mail the little poem in "Jig of Life"?
>
>  <most of poem deleted>
>
> We are the going water and the gone
> We are of water and the holy land of water
> And all that's to come runs in
> With the thrust on the strand.
>
> Anybody know if KaTe wrote this part herself or if John Carder not only
> recited, but also wrote it?
>
> Jeff

At least the last paragraph is derived from an anonymous Irish folk
song/poem.  I'll post it as soon as I remember to bring my Bartlett's
to work.  Vaguely, it's "Ich am of Irelonde and the Holy Lande of
Irelonde".

> --
> |Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
> |                                |  Laughing, loving,                     |
> |jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu          |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |

Pete Berger		       ||  ARPA:     peterb@cs.cmu.edu
Professional Student	       ||            Pete.Berger@andrew.cmu.edu
Univ. Pittsburgh School of Law ||  BITNET:   R746PB1P@CMCCVB
Attend this school, not CMU    ||  UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!pb1p
"Goldilocks is about property rights.  Little Red Riding Hood is a tale
 of seduction, rape, murder, and cannibalism."  -Bernard J. Hibbits

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 12:10:25 -0500 (EST)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 15:33

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subj: How is a "fair" price determined?

----------------

Really-From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>

>Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 11:10:23 PST
>From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
>Subject: Re : Variable Pricing
>
>Andy Gough stated:
>
>>     You also say, "The only justification for such prices is because it is
>>what the market will bare.  I personally believe that consumers deserve more
>>respect."  I wonder what alternative to the free market system you are
>>proposing?  If you were EMI, or an owner of a record store, what policy would
>>you use to price the box set?  Would you sell them for $125 when you could
>>sell just as many for $175?
>
>I do not advocate a completely free market. And no I am not a Communist.
>There has to be some regulation or we'd be choking on polluted air as we die
>of poisoning from unregulated products.

Well, yes, one doesn't want a completely free market, as it can lead to
undesirable things (externalities).  Child labor, for example.  But, we're
talking about a record store!  A simple merchant.  One wants a free market
in this case.

>  I think there should be a balance
>between the free market and regulation.  I am not going to suggest what that
>balance would be.

Fair enough.

>  Ideally if I were running a business I would strike a
>balance between making a fair profit to maintain business and perhaps growth
>but I would not try to rip off the customer.  It is likely I probably would
>not stay in business long, I suppose.

Ah, but what is a "fair" price?  As a buyer, one is going to want the lowest
price possible (free, of course).  As a seller, one is going to want to obtain
the highest possible price.  This is worked out by the buyers' demand curve
and the suppliers' supply curve--our old buddies supply and demand.

So I assert that whatever price paid by the buyer is, for that buyer, a
"fair" price.  Otherwise, why would he have bought it?  No, the buyer determined
that it was a fair exchange: his money for the product.  Any dissatisfaction
after the sale at paying too much is normal--everyone would like to pay as
little as possible, right?  BUT IT WAS BOUGHT!  Again, the buyer determined that
it was a fair exchange.

>  I think adequate profit for the boxed
>set should be approximately the same percentage that is made on other regular
>import CDs.  Cost of a normal import is on average $16 to a store.  It sells
>for around $20.  Thus 25% seems appropriate. At $125 cost I would charge
>approx $155.  That is a lot cheaper than what most stores charge in the US.
>Anything above that is excessve profit making IMHO. Extra shipping costs to
>the store might add a little extra so perhaps $160 is also fair.  Still, this
>is far less than the average US price.  I commend those who are being
>competitive with this price.

"Excessive profit"?  Profits are GOOD.  "Excessive" profits are even BETTER.
One should feel comfortable with PROFITS--they are essential to our economy.

>I believe that establishing a good relationship with a clientele and expansion
>of said by word of mouth due to fairness and good service is ideally how a
>business should be run.

Well, there is really no economic model for this.  This falls into marketing
and accounting.  Marketing in the sense that you would pass the benefits of a
price reduction (price promotion) to your customers in order to generate more
business.  Accounting in the sense that you could earn the same rate of return
on your investment by charging a lower price and turning over your inventory
faster.

>In the UK I am convinced that CD prices are artificially high due to excessive
>profiteering by various links in the chain from manufacturer to customer.

Sigh.

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 09:51 PST
Subject: How is a "fair" price determined?
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 16:17

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@hplabs.hpl.hp.com
Subj: Re: Werner Herzog and HOL

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

I believe the attribution to Werner Herzog is for the singing (Sorry, I
don't know the technical style) that makes _Hello Earth_ so distinctive -
the male voice parts are apparently from, or closely modelled on, part of
the soundtrack of _Nosferatu_, a Herzog film (Starred Klaus Kinski)

Duncan

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
To: rec-music-gaffa@hplabs.hpl.hp.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Werner Herzog and HOL
Date: 18 Dec 90 13:35:15 GMT
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 21-DEC-1990 16:41

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Subj: Re: Jig of Life poem.

----------------

Really-From: orion@wpi.wpi.edu (Kenneth G Descoteaux)

In article <3J2Hu2w163w@kk4fs.UUCP> you write:
>Really-From: kk4fs!s_fungus@crdgw1.ge.com (Slender Fungus)
>
>Could someone please post or E-mail the little poem in "Jig of Life"?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Slender Fungus

 I put this moment..............................................here.
 I put this moment.........................here.
 I put this moment--
                          "Over here!
           "Over here!
            Can't you see where memories are kept bright?
            Tripping on the water like a laughing girl.
            Time in her eyes is spawning past light,
            One when the ocean and the woman unfurled,
            Holding _all_the_love_ that waits for you here.
            Catch us now for I _am_ your future.
            A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land.
            Come over here to where When lingers,
            Waiting in this empty world,
            Waiting for Then, when the lifespray cools.
            For Now _does_ ride in on the curl of the wave,
            And you _will_ dance with me in the sunlit pools.
            We are of the going water and the gone.
            We are of water in the holy land of water
            And all that's to come runs in
            With the thrust on the strand."

***
Copied out of my .plan file  :^)
Enjoy!

-Ken

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 13:46:02 EST
To: Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 22-DEC-1990 00:36

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subj: LUSH!!!!!!!

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: Adams%J.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (jma@gnu.ai.mit.edu)

Hi there! anyone have any information about LUSH? I'd like to amass as much
information on them as possible (massively in lust with this one, maties...)
Email or respond.. thanks!

--John
jma@gnu.ai.mit.edu

-+-+-+-                                                                 -+-+-+-
John Adams                                       INTERNET -> jma@gnu.ai.mit.edu
508-588-8555                                            or jma@geech.ai.mit.edu
      "Strange Angels; Singing just for me; old stories haunting me...
       big changes are coming, here they come..."   - Laurie Anderson

-=-=-=-                                                                 -=-=-=-

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: LUSH!!!!!!!
Date: 22 Dec 90 05:33:34 GMT
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/25/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 22-DEC-1990 08:36

Date: 18 Dec 90 13:35:15 GMT
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/26/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 22-DEC-1990 11:56

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Subj: Kate biographies???

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)

This is my third attempt to post a msg here. I'm crossing my fingers. Please
tell me if you get this...

To start with - how old is Kate - 32? When is her birthday?

I was wondering if there were any good Kate biographies. I'm not sure if
I will read one...but I would like to know what's out there. If there are
any could you give a little review so that I'll know if it's the one
for me?

thanks,
mike

ps - what is the KaTe ettiquette? - with the K's and T's - why not B's too?
pps - Would the person (Vickie??) who met Bjork send me a msg - I'm a
confirmed cubehead - I've even got Bjork's '77 solo album - made when she was
12!!

Happy Holidays

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Kate biographies???
Date: 	Sat, 22 Dec 1990 12:44:12 -0400
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 23-DEC-1990 13:19

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 20 Dec 90 09:16:03 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Date: Thu Dec 20 01:16:03 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 10:19:47 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subject: Report on failed mail
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 23-DEC-1990 23:19

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 20:13:34 PST
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 20:20:23 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 23-DEC-1990 23:20

Date: Thu Dec 20 19:36:08 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 20:20:33 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 24-DEC-1990 00:37

Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue)

To: ucsd!rec-music-gaffa

Date: 19 Dec 90 23:06:08 GMT
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 90 21:36:05 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 24-DEC-1990 00:41

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hil}Il)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate Pics
Date: 24 Dec 90 05:16:06 GMT
Sender: root@crash.cts.com

OK I mean it this time!!!! This is the last listing or the crop of Kate
pictures.  If you want to back out, do so now.  If you have requested
pictures, send me the money!!  Here it is
Jorn Barger (PAID, thanks)
Michael Peskura (PAID,thanks)
Vickie N Chris (PAID)
Ray Russel (non-love hound)
Perttu Yli-Krekola
Steve Carter (PAID)
Paul Lu
Kimon Berlin
Vishal Markandey
Ray Saddler II
Ed Suranyi
Steve Fagg
Micheal Kaufman

To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Date: Sun Dec 23 21:16:07 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/27/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 24-DEC-1990 08:36

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 12:18:44 +0000
To: rec-music-gaffa@kestrel.ukc.ac.uk
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 05:15:55 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/28/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 24-DEC-1990 11:59

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Subj: Re: Jig of Life poem.

----------------

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 11:13:10 EST
To: Love-Hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 08:59:21 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/28/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 24-DEC-1990 13:28

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Subj: Re: Jig of Life poem.

----------------

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 12:10:25 -0500 (EST)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 90 10:29:11 PST
To: love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/30/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@wilkie.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 26-DEC-1990 11:45

From: DECWRL::"Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU"
To:   rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Subj: Re: yikes!

----------------
The following error message was returned whilst sending to
 address BUFFA::HALL

    %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening !AS as output
    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
    -SYSTEM-W-DIRALLOC, allocation failure on directory file

This is a soft error, but the retry period has expired.
No more attempts to send to this address will be made.

----------------
The text of your failed mail message follows:

Really-From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)

Her name is Bjork - with an umlaut(sp?) over the o. She started Bad Taste
with about 10 other people in the speing of '86. She has made a solo record
- '77, some stuff with the excellent band Tappi Tikarrass - '80-83?, 2
records with KUKL!!!!!! and 2 records with the Sugarcubes who are infinitely
better than any of the new bands - IMO. I don't see Bless getting the front
cover of EVERY british music mag...

I wonder if Kate listens to the the  Sugarcubes....she'd love Birthday.
Theal? I you must mean Theyr. They broke up in '82?

mike

% ====== Internet headers and postmarks (see DECWRL::GATEWAY.DOC) ======
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: yikes!
Date: 	Wed, 26 Dec 1990 12:43:03 -0400
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/30/90)

Really-From: "nmail-daemon"@css.enet.dec.com

Errors were detected when processing your mail message
 which was entered at 27-DEC-1990 01:21

Date: Sun Dec 23 21:16:07 1990
From: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU