[rec.music.gaffa] <None>

asdurbin@amherst.bitnet (09/23/90)

        Hello - I've been reading rec.music.gaffa on and off for about
two years or more now, and regularly whenever I'm at school, but have
never really bothered post anything.  I'd never even heard of our
beloved Kate before I happened upon this board, but I now possess all
of her regularly issued CDs, as well as assorted 12-inches, singles,
and other esoterica, and look forward to the issuing of the boxed set.

        This said, I would like to have some suggestions on what to
be purchasing, i.e. the Kate items which are most important, best to
listen to or look at...you get the point.  There's a used record store
near here (Amherst College, MA) which has a pile of Kate singles, but
I don't really know if $35 for _The Man With The Child In His Eyes_
single is a good price, for instance.  Also, how easy is it to find
bootleg CD material?

        Thanks in advance.  And I'm very envious of all of you who get
to go to see Kate in London.  Tuition at $20,000 a year seems to
rule out a lot of activities, however...

Andrew Durbin

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/90)

Really-From: ASDURBIN%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From: asdurbin@amherst.bitnet
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: <None>
Date: 22 Sep 90 22:41:04 GMT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to rec.music.gaffa

[...]

Really-From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

andrew durbin sez:
>         This said, I would like to have some suggestions on what to
> be purchasing, i.e. the Kate items which are most important, best to
> listen to or look at...you get the point.

hm, interesting question. stuff that i would recommend you get a hold
of somehow:

	a copy of the hammersmith odeon show (video/boot cd)
	a complete tour of life show (bristol/manchester lps)
	the bbc special (video/picture disc)
	the cathy demos (5 eps/the cathy albums lps)
	the b-sides (numerous 45s/12ers/boot lps/the box set)
	the collection (video)
	obsKuriTies (collectors)
	jsd's mixes (just kidding :)

the question is how dediKaTed are you? if you're a real nut, you might want
anything and everything that you can get your paws on. on the other hand,
you might only want the essential extra tracks. i listed the ways that you
can get a hold of the stuff above and how you do it is up to you...

> There's a used record store
> near here (Amherst College, MA) which has a pile of Kate singles, but
> I don't really know if $35 for _The Man With The Child In His Eyes_
> single is a good price, for instance.  Also, how easy is it to find
> bootleg CD material?

$35 is probably a little inflated...i know a place where i can get it for
$15 (two places in fact, come to think of it...). you know, this might not
be a bad idea, if someone could compile a price list of KaTe items for
those who are collecting.

as for cd boot stuff, i can think of the following items:

	the baktabak interview
	some other interview about which i have no information (but have the cd)
	the abbey road interview
	burning desires (shoddy transfer of the hammersmith film)
	KaTe bush live (excellent transfer of the hammersmith laserdisc)

cd stuff isn't that hard to find (hell, i found some in morristown, nj and
a place in the middle of kansas), but sometimes is elusive as it moves faster
than lps these days.

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/90)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
>
>andrew durbin sez:
>>         This said, I would like to have some suggestions on what to
>> be purchasing, i.e. the Kate items which are most important, best to
>> listen to or look at...you get the point.

Wait for the box set to come out and get everything official in one
fell swoop!  I'm sure Main Street Records (in northampton, just down
the road from you) will get a few copies in.  I used to go there to
get new exciting Kate stuff when I went to UMass.

>hm, interesting question. stuff that i would recommend you get a hold
>of somehow:
>
>	jsd's mixes (just kidding :)

Hey, whaddya mean, just kidding?  That's an ESSENTIAL part of the Kate
experience!  And I've even improved Jenn's vocal part thanks to my new
super deluxe reverb unit.  Yes, I can make my mixes just as muddy as
Kate's now thanks to digital reverb magic...

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU (01/04/91)

Really-From: TREADWAY@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU

From: treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 3 Jan 91 13:46:28 EST
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to rec.music.gaffa

Hello all!  I've been reading gaffa almost religiously since news of the
boxed set and a possible tour.  I thought it was time I did some writing for a
change.

My boss just handed me a copy of "CD International".  They have the boxed set
available for $109.96 + $20.00 S&H (call # B12-B082514-C).  They boast the
lowest price in the country (US).  They accept VISA, M.C., and checks.  The
phone number is (503) 654-4920.  Unfortunately I already purchased mine at a
local store for $159.00 + tax.  I guess that isn't too bad compared to some
of the other prices I've seen.  Anyone out there who buys a lot of imports
should also think about giving this number a call - from what I know the
prices and delivery times look pretty good

					Have fun, Joel
					treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
					treadway@jabberwock.shs.ohio-state.edu

treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (01/04/91)

Really-From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)

In article <DD7620FDDDDF806FD5@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: TREADWAY@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
>My boss just handed me a copy of "CD International".  They have the boxed set
>available for $109.96 + $20.00 S&H (call # B12-B082514-C).  They boast the
>lowest price in the country (US).  They accept VISA, M.C., and checks.  The

The company cannot be CD International, they don't sell CDs, I think
you are thinking of Overseas Shopper which is giving away CD
International books when you spend over $100. They are shipping from
Spindle Records in Canada.

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu [....uwm!uwpvacs!datta]

Don't you wish there was good fractal technology in the 60's? -Me