[rec.music.gaffa] various and sundry

katefans@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) (02/11/90)

Vickie here.

> From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
> Subject: The _Electronics_&_Music_Maker_ interview (fall 1982)

>  This version of the interview is an edition of a version re-printed
> _Break-Through_ Issue No. 4 (April/May 1984). The interview originally
> appeared in the October 1982 issue of _Electronics_and_Music_Maker_.
> Unfortunately the interviewer's name was not given in _Break-Through_'s
> edition, and IED has never seen the original, so he cannot identify
> the interviewer.

I have an original copy of this article (not just a photocopy) and the
interviewer's name is not given anywhere that I could find. Dale was
pretty good at giving credit so he probably couldn't find it either.

Speaking of Breakthrough...
   Doug, I promise I won't make a habit of posting stuff from Breakthrough
but I was looking through one of the old issues and came across this letter
that made me gasp in astonishment.

***** This is from the April/May * 1984 * issue of Breakthrough *****
                                   ^^^^
From: Cortina Bandolero
      Phoenix, AZ

Dear Dale and cohorts at Breakthrough,

  Here in Phoenix there is quite a sizable awareness of Kate. This would
be an ideal city for EMI to sponser a "Bush Bash". There are import stores
here where the import LPs, the Hammersmith-Odeon video and the 45 Box Set
can be readily found. Also there's a small but loyally followed radio
station, KSTM, which isn't averse to playing Kate's songs. In * 1982 * when
local DJ (name deleted) was at KSTM, he aired an hour of Kate's rarities
which included some of her very early solo-piano work. He had worked for
EMI at the time of Kate's initial signing, and aquired the tapes then.
There were some real surprises for collectors, including an altered version
of Hammer Horror and another song with a refrain about "playing canasta in
cold rooms." Does anyone know anything about this rare song? ...Now I'm off
to write the KB club!

*********************

She was talking about the CATHY DEMOS!!! They were in the US in 1982!!!
Isn't it horrible that poor Cortina unknowingly was responsible for getting
this DJ into trouble? (btw, I deleted the name, no need to add to the fire)
Amazing that it took till 1988 for them to get distributed. Anyway, I thought
that was interesting.

gb10@gte.COM (Gregory Bossert) (02/05/91)

ho!

i'm finally caught up with gaffa...  here are a few more thoughts:

re photos:  thanks to Jorn for the l-h group photo key.  a few additions:

person "a" (front left) is Evan Walsh.
person "h" (behind Evan) is Andy Semple.
person "n" is Rick Bollar (whose friend Rebecca took the photo...)

re woj:  woj says

> there is a new interview picdisc out there - it's from the interview
> that i posted last summer...

if this is the disc of which i am thinking, it's worth it for 1) the front
(insert) photo (sadly small), and 2) to hear KaTe talk with her mouth full.
 ;-}
the sound quality is reasonable.  i'd pay $15, but not $35...

>  greg bossert: will you be willing to mail printouts of the _tww_ lyric
> booklets to those of us without access to a postscript printer? also
> thanks for announcing that your house is available for KaTemas. i was
> going to, but now i don't have to... :)

it continues to be my hope that i can print the lyric books on a high-
resolution laser-typesetter and copy them out onto glossy paper.  I'm
having a bit of trouble overlaying photos and text, and even more trouble
getting some free time, but regardless i will certainly make and mail
finished versions (if i have to draw them in crayon!).

as far as KaTemas is concerned, i tend to enjoy giving parties more than
attending them (?!), anyway, i'm always looking for an excuse to turn the
studio sound system all the way up...

> for those of you who care: laurie anderson's _united states live_ is
> now out on cd. four discs. yum! i order mine tomorrow.

!!!!!!!!!!!

> has anybody any ideas on what material KaTe would preform should she
> go on tour again? it is mine and meredith's feeling that she would
> concentrate on stuff *after* _lionheart_...

i dunno;  she seems to be regaining interest in vocal/solo piano settings
(_TWW_ performances, for example).  i could imagine some material from
_TKI_ and _LH_ in this format.  i would love to see _The Ninth Wave_ --
admittedly, it would be difficult to pull off, but no more so than the
_Wall_ or _The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway_, for example...  imagine KaTe
singing from this huge tank of water -- submarines and all! 8-]

oh yeah, for mike graham:  the lyric books are Aldus FreeHand documents,
developed on a Mac IIx with a lot of ram...

well, it's footah time:

footah!

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "what a waste.  army dreamers." KTB

newsmgr@gnv.ifas.ufl.EDU ("ICON") (02/05/91)