[rec.music.gaffa] Sinead

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/28/90)

Really-From: <ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Ken_-_SaintJohn@uunet.UU.NET>

 Sorry for the separate post here but I have not yet figured out how too
reply otherwise...
   I think this deal with Sinead is a load of hypercritical crap! :-)
So she has a problem listening to the American national anthem? Do you
think she has the SAME problem receiving or spending American CURRENCY???
  Kates ability at avoiding this kind of garbage is one of the reasons
I have been a devoted fan since '78!

                                           Ken - SaintJohn@cup.portal.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/28/90)

Really-From: JONES%RPIECS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu

Hello there fellow Love-Hounds--
  The current Sinead controversy has hit close to home here in the
Capital District area in New York, and so I decided to throw in my
typical two cents' worth.  Sinead is scheduled to play at Saratoga
Perfomring Arts Center (affectionately known to locals as SPAC) on
September 2, and there have been recent rumours of her show being
cancelled and/or banned because of her refusal to have the national
anthem played in New Jersey.  What I basically have to say about
this whole thing is that it's pretty ridiculous; as many others have
said, I can't ever remember attending a rock concert at which the
national anthem was played.  Sports events, yes...concerts, no.  So
I don't see what the big stink is about Sinead's refusal to have the
anthem played; why should she be treated differently than any other
performer??
  That's it for now....

                                               All the best,
                                                   Deb Wentorf

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/28/90)

Really-From: "UMSA04::UMSA04::MRGATE::\"A1::D9BDHUNT\""%UMS.TOWSON.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

From:   NAME: Dr. Robin B. Huntington
        FUNC: Univ. of MD System Admn.
        TEL: 301-853-3611                     <D9BDHUNT@A1@UMSA04>
To:     IN%"LOVE-HOUNDS@GAFFA.MIT.EDU"@UMS@MRGATE

    As I understand it, Sinead doesn't allow ANY national
    anthems, including her own, to be played before her concerts,
    just on GP.

    Robin

    P.S.  This is my SECOND attempt at posting a message.  On my
    first attempt, I followed all the instructions on my
    handy-dandy introduction form letter, but to no avail.  How
    come some folks get their messages posted TWICE, and I can't
    get a word in edgewise?! :-(

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/28/90)

Really-From: kilmer@cs.rutgers.edu (Hank)

It is custom at the particular arena that this controversy is over for
the anthem to be played.  It is played there at _every_ concert or
event.  That is why there is a controversy.

Notice I didn't give my opinion on the matter......
--
Henry W. Kilmer      kilmer@aramis.rutgers.edu       :-)

graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) (02/06/91)

Why was Sinead at the American Music Awards?

This change of heart is rather sudden don't you think?

mike...I'm going to make my .sig 4 lines REAL soon now...

ps. - does anyone subscribe to NME - if so could you keep a look out for
Kate, Sugarcubes, and the Pixies for me...please....beg, grovel...

|         Michael Graham            |   We're two doctors...two big doctors - |
|       graham@ug.cs.dal.ca         |   we're not imposters.  - Woody Allen   |
|        mgraham@ac.dal.ca          |                               Sleeper   |

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (02/06/91)

From article <1991Feb6.014822.20601@cs.dal.ca>, by graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham):
> Why was Sinead at the American Music Awards?
>
> This change of heart is rather sudden don't you think?

She said that her decision was due in part to the "disgraceful"
pro-war sentiments widely displayed at last week's American Music
award show.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
"Smile when you say, 'Damn Yankee'!"      nrc@cbnews.att.com