[net.followup] more on alternate energy sources

arnold@gatech.UUCP (Fred Fortran) (08/16/84)

	I recieved the following in my mail earlier this week, and
am only just now getting around to post it.  He (or may be she, I don't
know) makes a good point that hasn't been on the net yet (at least I
haven't seen it yet...)  This is the letter in its entirety, minus some
irrelevant mail-header stuff.

> From:     dmcnh!gts@sii
> Date:     Fri, 10 Aug 84 12:20:17 edt
> Subject:  Re: alternate, hopefully safe, energy sources (fusion)
>
> I thought that liquid lithium would flow along the inside of the walls
> of the fusion containment chamber.  Not only does this absorb the neutrons
> to prevent damage to the solid permanent walls, but in so doing, captures
> the heat of the reaction and can be used as a heat transfer medium.
>
> Please try to get more information about this.  I would post this idea
> myself but I cannot post, I can only meddle (like this).  Your mission,
> if you decide to accept it, is to post the above idea for public ridicule.
> Put the blame on:
> The unposting mailbox of ><..!decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts

	Well, I accepted the mission; here is the note.  So it seems like
maybe fusion might not be so bad.  Of course, I have no idea how hard it is
to get hold of enough liquid lithium.  To paraphrase a famous physician of
the 23rd century, "Damn it Jim, I'm a computer scientist, not a physicist!" :-)
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET: arnold@gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

Save the Arithmetic IF!

alcmist@ssc-vax.UUCP (08/20/84)

<harmful or fatal if swallowed>

The subject is drawbacks of fusion power, specifically damage to
reactor walls from high-energy neutrons.

> From:     dmcnh!gts@sii
> Date:     Fri, 10 Aug 84 12:20:17 edt
> Subject:  Re: alternate, hopefully safe, energy sources (fusion)
>
> I thought that liquid lithium would flow along the inside of the walls
> of the fusion containment chamber.  Not only does this absorb the neutrons
> to prevent damage to the solid permanent walls, but in so doing, captures
> the heat of the reaction and can be used as a heat transfer medium.

The answer depends on the type of fusion reactor.  They come in two flavors.
A fusion reactor can hold its fuel in a more-or-less steady magnetic bottle,
which is called magnetic confinement, or it can hit a pellet of fuel with
high-energy lasers and hope a lot of energy is released before the pellet
flies apart.  That's called inertial confinement.

In either kind of reactor, the main reason for having lithium is to breed
more fusion fuel.  When lithium is struck by neutrons from a fusion reaction,
it turns into tritium, which can be used in the fusion reaction.
(Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen ...)

A magnetic-confinement reactor has to work in a vacuum, otherwise junk gets
into the plasma and screws things up.  Lithium inside the reaction chamber
would evaporate and contaminate the plasma.  In a magnetic-confinement
reactor, the lithium would flow *outside* the wall of the reactor.

An inertial-confinement reactor doesn't have the problem of needing a
superclean vacuum.  It could use jets of liquid lithium to absorb neutrons,
breed fuel, transfer heat, and even absorb some of the shock from the
explosions of fuel pellets.

By the way, you really don't need tritium for a fusion reaction.  It's
just that the fusion between deuterium (naturally occurring and edible)
and tritium (man-made and radioactive) is the easiest to start.  Second
generation fusion plants would probably use a reaction that throws off
charged particles instead of neutrons.  Doing so is a lot harder but
would allow direct conversion to electricity.  (There would also be
less radioactive material to handle).

Fred Wamsley
--
UUCP:{ihnp4,tektronix}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!alcmist ARPA:ssc-vax!alcmist@uw-beaver
I am not speaking as a representative of the Boeing Company or any of

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (08/23/84)

A Modest Proposal

	I suggest a gravity-confined fusion reactor operating in a near-
perfect vacuum, insulated from us by 93 Million Miles of that vacuum, and
we ourselves insulated by a gravity-confined cloud of gasses (earth's
atmosphere) to absorb the high energy radiation from the fusion reactor,
and to absorb modest sized asteroids, comets, etc.  Then let there be
fusion radiation energy collectors installed at points of need of energy.
Some of these may merely collect IR, for heating, some may collect visible
light for the generation of electricity.  Some may collect advantageous
frequencies of light to assist in chemical reactions which store energy
to create food (photosynthesis).  Fail Safe. Simple. Free.  The reactor
and its insulator have been wisely provided for us, all we have to do is
build the collectors!

No Nukes!	Turn OFF the SUN!	What?!?		(appologies to Pooh)
--
{ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems)

dmt@hocsl.UUCP (08/26/84)

REFERENCE:  <1640@sun.uucp>

OK. Somebody's got to be pulling my leg.
A pro-SUN dialectic from SUNNY at SUN Microsystems?
What do the laws of probability say about that?
(Now I'm sorry I asked.  We'll probably see two deeply
reasoned probabilistic analyses, and five flames
about the appropriateness of this posting.)
			Dave Tutelman

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (jbn ) (09/08/84)

     A brief summary of the problems with alternative energy sources:

SOLAR POWER

     PASSIVE HOUSE HEATING

	Very feasible, if the house is designed with it in mind.  You
	still need a backup heating system, but it doesn't get used often.

     SWIMMNG POOL HEATING

	Best known application.  That big pool of water is just what you
	want for heat storage.  Less popular since CA turned off the tax
	incentive.

     ACTIVE HOUSE HEATING / HOT WATER HEATING

	Often useful.  System must be engineered properly; there have been
	bad designs that used more power to drive the pumps than the system
	delivered as output.  The heat storage problem is moderatly tough;
	somewhere there needs to be a big tank of water, or rocks, or
	something.

     ACTIVE AIR CONDITIONING

        It can be done, but usually isn't worth the trouble.  One installation
	that works is in the Santa Clara, CA, recreation center, a nice place
	to visit during hot weather energy crunches.  But there is a LOT of
	machinery making it work.

     PHOTOVOLTAICS

	Coming along; up to 7-9% efficiency now.  Still expensive, but may
	get better.  Useful for power in remote areas; my favorite is the
	solar-powered fence charger for electric fences (see Sears Farm
	and Ranch Catalog).  The big problem remains batteries.

	Kirby's photovoltaic system (Kirby is the inventor of the IC, and
	works for (and owns a big piece of) Texas Instruments), seems
	promising, but pumping hot hydrobromic acid around is not my idea
	of appropriate technology for the home.  (Sure you can make it work
	with stainless steel pipe and 100% X-ray inspected welds, just like
	the nuclear plants, but it costs).  But maybe they will develop a
	better chemistry.

WIND POWER

	It now appears that medium-sized windmills (about 50' blade diameter)
	are the best size; the giant units are down too much and the small ones
	aren't worth the trouble.  There are some really great tax incentives
	to own a share of a wind farm in CA; see your broker (Merril Lynch
	has a scheme) for details.  But it isn't economic compared to
	even oil power, and it only works when you have other sources to
	take up the slack during low-wind periods.  Again, the storage problem.

SMALL HYDRO

	Efficient when producing, the problem is finding good sites.  Plants
	that produce juice only during spring runoff aren't enormously useful.
	But if you can tap into a non-seasonal watercourse, you can have a
	nice little power source, plus some extra income during peak periods.

WAVE POWER

	This has been tried on and off for centuries; the elaborate mechanisms
	with lots of floats and machinery keep breaking in storms and need lots
	of maintenance.  And again, sometimes there are no waves.

----------------

	The basic problem with all these technologies is that none of them are
	good base load power sources that you can rely on; all must be backed
	up by some other technology.  Even multiple units of the same
	technology don't help; all the windmills stop in a calm.  None of
	these technologies can power an energy-intensive industry like, say,
	aluminum refining, or even a large city.  And when you add in the
	cost of the energy storage facilities, these technologies look a
	lot worse.

	Personally, I like deep natural gas as an energy solution, followed by
	fusion if we can ever make it work.  Knowing that the SPS is possible
	is nice in case we can't, but it seems like a lot of work just to get
	an energy source.  Fission power is too messy, and I don't really
	approve of any reactor you can't just scram and walk away from.