[rec.music.gaffa] heresy, smeresy, _Hounds_ rules

dwelch@tzone.UUCP (Dan Welch) (03/19/91)

In article <A19A5C3000004B9A@sc.intel.com> AGOUGH%FAB6@SC.INTEL.COM writes:

>This heresy has to end right now.  "The Dreaming" is the best album (as |>oug
>will attest).  In fact, "The Dreaming" is the ** ONLY ** album that exists.
>Its existence denies the reality of all others.
>
>-andy

Sorry, Andy, have to disagree here . . . HoL is the best.  Kate's voice is
better, and the scope of her vision is breath-taking, to say the least.  TD
is virtually without flaw, but the one it does suffer from is that the whole
is only slightly more than the sum of the parts.  HoL, on the other hand,
may be viewed (as an album) on so many different levels (a collection of
songs, a story, an allegory, dream-sequence, etc.) that as a work of art
it cannot be approached.

Does anybody else suffer from the syndrome that, once HoL is played, you
have to shut off the stereo?  Because, after all, what would you play next?

| Daniel Welch			      | "Kate Bush is the sort of performer   |
| Tandem Computers, Inc.	      | for whom the word 'superstar' is      |
| Austin, TX, USA		      | belittling."			      |
| halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu   | 	Mike Davies, _Melody_Maker_   |

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (03/19/91)

Daniel Welch writes:

>Does anybody else suffer from the syndrome that, once HoL is played, you
>have to shut off the stereo?  Because, after all, what would you play next?

No, I just play HoL again.  Solves the problem completely.

One of my favorite activites is to walk on a beach, at the edge of the water,
listening to HoL.  Almost every song (all but "Mother Stands for Comfort") on
the first "side" are perfect for walking to, and "The Ninth Wave" gains even
more from the added crashing waves and sea gulls.  Perfection.

Jeff
(who imagines he has now made it pretty clear which album is his favorite,
even if "Army Dreamers" is still his favorite KaTe song)
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (03/20/91)

In article <9103190309.AA15821@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) writes:
>Almost every song (all but "Mother Stands for Comfort") on
>the first "side" are perfect for walking to

I must disagree.  MSfC is one of my favorite songs to walk-and-direct.  You
know, that's where you (or I anyhow) walk along and swing your arms to the
music.  I look silly, but I am usually to wrapped up in the music to notice
the stares.

MIchael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in