[rec.music.gaffa] Best of the Best

katsouro@WAM.UMD.EDU (Mark Steven Katsouros) (03/19/91)

Since we're on the subject, here are my nominations:

     Best Kate Album:             The Dreaming (by FAR!)

     Best Kate Song:              Under the Ivy

     2nd Best Kate Album:         The Sensual World

     Best Relatively New Artist:  Darden Smith

     Best Gabriel Album:          III

That's all for now...
--
:[]:  Mark Steven Katsouros, Manager, Automation
 ||   University of Maryland, Department of Physical Plant
(  )  Building 003, Room 0300, College Park, MD 20742  (301) 405-3212
(__)  mkatsour@umdacc.umd.edu, katsouro@wam.umd.edu, mk63@umail.umd.edu

cray@balr.COM (Chris Ray) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.143957.26161@wam.umd.edu> katsouro@WAM.UMD.EDU (Mark Steven Katsouros) writes:

>Since we're on the subject, here are my nominations:
>
>     Best Kate Album:             The Dreaming (by FAR!)
>
>     Best Kate Song:              Under the Ivy
>
>     2nd Best Kate Album:         The Sensual World
      ^^^^^^^^?
      you mean Worst?

Sanity check folks...

cray

--

lazlo@TRITON.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) (03/20/91)

cray@balr.COM (Chris Ray) writes:

>>     2nd Best Kate Album:         The Sensual World
>
> you mean Worst?  Sanity check folks...

I have a hard time using the words "Kate Bush" and "worst" in the same
sentence, but THE SENSUAL WORLD probably wouldn't have too tough a time
in the competition for "Least Favorite" in my book . . .

And all apologia for THE DREAMING aside, HoL is *still* my favorite Kate
album.  It is the most successful when considered as a complete work.

Lazlo (lazlo@triton.cirt.unm.edu)
hey gang!  i just invented ascii fractals!   /\[]{][])%$$*(*><,.[\]'

graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.072715.29027@ariel.unm.edu> lazlo@TRITON.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
>cray@balr.COM (Chris Ray) writes:
>
>>>     2nd Best Kate Album:         The Sensual World
>>
>> you mean Worst?  Sanity check folks...
>
>I have a hard time using the words "Kate Bush" and "worst" in the same
>sentence, but THE SENSUAL WORLD probably wouldn't have too tough a time
>in the competition for "Least Favorite" in my book . . .
>
>And all apologia for THE DREAMING aside, HoL is *still* my favorite Kate
>album.  It is the most successful when considered as a complete work.

HoL a complete work?  One side is a bunch of great songs with a common theme -
love...except The Big Sky which I can't figure out - great song though.
                      The other side is something unto itself. The Ninth Wave
is a complete work - which is growing on me...

My "vote" for best album is The Dreaming - I LOVE every song. I consider it
the best of 6 amazing albums. Each song is brilliant. I plback to back
often - with the other albums there are usually one or two songs I skip.

mike

--
Michael Graham          |   Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     |   painted itself purple and danced naked on top of

houghge@expert.cc.purdue.EDU (Gerald Hough) (03/23/91)

Just a few of my opinions.....

In article <1991Mar19.143957.26161@wam.umd.edu> katsouro@WAM.UMD.EDU (Mark Steven Katsouros) writes:

>Since we're on the subject, here are my nominations:
>
>     Best Kate Album:             The Dreaming (by FAR!)

                                --> The Kick Inside

>     Best Kate Song:              Under the Ivy

                                --> no arguments here!!  Love it!

>     2nd Best Kate Album:         The Sensual World

                                --> Hounds of Love

>     Best Relatively New Artist:  Darden Smith

                                --> Enigma (are they REALLY new?)

>     Best Gabriel Album:          III

                                --> So
And a new category? Best unreleased single : Really gets me going

>That's all for now...

ditto-
--Gooch %^)

|   Gerald E. Hough II             |Collect:KateBushSistersOfMercyCure|
|   houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu   |Like:ClannadFraceGallBerlinDigital|
|   Purdue University Physics Lib. |UndergroundLedZepJourneyBauhausNWA|
|       -     -    -    -          |NikKershawELO10000ManiacsREMEnigma|
| "Have a cola de mono on me..."   |JeanMichelJarreVangelesJamesHorner|

lazlo@triton.unm.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) (03/23/91)

houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Gerald Hough) writes:

>>     Best Relatively New Artist:  Darden Smith
>                                --> Enigma (are they REALLY new?)

Depends on what you consider "REALLY new".  Michael Cretu and Sandra and
Frank Peterson have all worked together before but not as Enigma; I think
the only project where they were *all* present before was Sandra's album
PAINTINGS IN YELLOW from last year but Cretu and Sandra are married and
Cretu's produced every album of hers that I've seen.  He also produces
Hubert KaH and has a few solo albums of his own out; I haven't heard any
of his solo work but the Sandra and KaH and Enigma all share the same
production sound though Sandra and KaH are more obviously dance-oriented.

Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)
Though faced in the opposite direction, an innocent passerby is
stopped dead in his tracks by Al "The-Cruise-Of-Death" Jones.