[rec.music.gaffa] various

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/20/89)

Really-From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>Subject: Mega-KT NEWS
>     Also, the album release date, according to a Chicago CBS rep,
>has been moved _up_ to October 9! (Thanks, thanks, thanks, Vickie!)

Is this really true? The album will be out in the US before GB.
"Say it aint so, Joe."
It is bad enough having gone into my local record shop and been told
that they had not ordered the Kate Bush single becuase they "did not
want to take the risk up-front". Then when I protested they told me
"it was no big deal". What can you say to people like that?

>From: djjouellette@lion.waterloo.edu (Daniel JJ Ouellette)
>PS, and don't flame me for this.  This is about the song 'And dream of
>sheep" (spelling is off I know that)
>
>To me that little section in the middle where a voice comes in sounds like
>a radio anouncer and he is giving a radio forcast.

The message is a shipping report. IED, MarK T Ganzer and myself came
up with the following transcription:
"Attention shipping information in sea areas including Bell Rock, Tiree,
 Cromaty, gale easterly ... Malin, Sellafield"
The section appears to have been put together by Kate rather than being
taken from an actual broadcast.

>Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
>All right Love-Hounds, the gauntlet has been thrown at our
>collective keyboards.  I've just heard from another incurable
>netter that those neophyte peuks over on the Dylan net have been
>congratulating themselves on having the first newsgroup devoted to
>a single musical artist.  Who are they kidding?  We've been here
>forever, or at least since 1986 when I started grad school.  And
>who do they eulogize?  Some drug crazed sixties throwback who
>sounds like a tortured geezer piped through an AM radio speaker to
>make full use of his half octave range.  I mean the guy looks like
>Yassir Arafat's half brother with mange and his lyrics are
>plaintive and puerile compared to Kate's.  Really, the whole
>subject makes me sick.
>
>The ONLY thing Bob Dylan ever did right was make an album that was
>exactly the right size for use as a washer to hold the rear deck
>of my 74 Capri together long enough to sell it.  He also created
>one that was perfect to place under the New Mexico sun as a heat
> (more crap omitted)

What pathetic drivel. It's people like you who give this news group
a bad name and play into the hands of people like Tim M. What were
you on when you wrote this crap? Grow up or think before you post.

Let's get a few things straight. I subscribe to rec.music.dylan and
have been very impressed with the lack of noise compared to most
news groups. The amount of useful information I have picked up from
postings in just a few weeks has been considerable. You certainly
do not have to wade through such infantile gibberings as your vapid
piece above. Also, nobody that I know of has made any righteous claims
about the Dylan group being the first of its kind. The Grateful Dead
have had a newsgroup since the year dot!

As for Dylan's songwriting: if you really believe what you have
written then you clearly have no real appreciation of music and
one wonders what you are doing listening to Kate. Which is not to
say that Dylan has not made some pretty dire stuff - he has, but
he has also written many great songs.

If your posting was meant as a joke then it was a poor failure.
Carry on like this and not only will you have a news group devoted
to one artist but also a news group with one reader.

Neil

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/21/89)

Really-From: Dave Collins <pyrltd!davec@uunet.UU.NET>

Oh joy of joys - I have just been listening for the first time - to THE NEW
ALBUM !!!!  No names no pack drill BUT I will pass on further comments once
I have had a chance to listen through a couple of more times.

First comments (possibly to be revised on 2nd and 3rd listenings).
Sad one first - the British CD single and the title of the albumare one and
the same - unlike most of KT's 12" singles it isnt remixed (errr ummm....
just a thought I picked up the CD single NOT the 12" - are they different?)

I am afraid that the recording came my way without a track listing BUT I
have noticed that a track listing was posted the other day and I will
attempt to match them up. The title track is track one and it is followed
by a lengthy tour-de-force not too disimilar to RUTH (my subjective
opinion).  Track 3 is very mello w and floating with some haunting violin
backing.  Actually the album as a whole has quite a mellow feel to it.

As I stressed above these comments are on first play only - I will away for
another listen and will report back accordingly.

davec@pyrltd

nbc@INF.RL.AC.UK (02/06/90)

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>     Meredith's inquiry about the MTV Rockumentary requires IED
>to discourage all U.S. Love-Hounds from hoping that the programme will
>ever appear on American MTV.
>     Therefore, IED implores all European-based and English-based
>Love-Hounds to tape the programme for the benefit of us less
>fortunate ones in America. Perhaps, if it contains new interview

I should perhaps point out that few people in the UK subscribe to
either cable or satellite and therefore do not get MTV. So don't
hold your breath waiting for a transcription. Maybe more common on
the continent.

>From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City)
>Vickie again.
>>From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu (Neil Calton)
>>>MARY COUGHLIN-Tired & Emotional
>>It's good to hear someone promoting Mary Coughlin. I strongly urge
>>Love-hounds to check her out. Great for late night listening. There
>>is a second album called "Under the Influence" which includes a great
>>version of "Ride On". Both albums highly recommended. Both are also
>>available on CD - at least over here. It has been a long time since
>>the second album came out so maybe there is another one due.
>
>I can't let this go by. Neil, you ruined my day. You know that don't
>you? MARY HAS A SECOND ALBUM?????? I had no idea. I'm even more upset
>to know that it's been out for quite a while and I didn't know. I
>guess it hasn't been released in the US.

Well if I tell you that a third album should be out about March time
will that make you feel better or worse?

>I......almost.....gave a tape to Katarina Witt, my all-time favorite
>female skater (B. Orser's my favorite guy too), but I chickened out
>again. Cluck, cluck.

Yea, KaTarina is great. What has happened to women skaters though - in the
European championships last week all the top four female skaters
fell during their free programme. Come to think of it so did a number
of the top pairs skaters. And why do the Duchenays (sp?) get such
lousey marks while the Russians do the same old dance routines they
have been doing for the last 10 years and pick up near maximums?

>katefans@world.std.com is the only address we have. We seem to get
>mail OK, but have had a VERY hard time sending mail. So many letters
>have bounced and we can't figure out why.
>Neil, our letter to you bounced.

What network are you connected to? What address did you try. I will
try sending you mail.

Anyone got confirmation about another UK single

Be seeing you,
Neil.

--
Neil Calton                            UUCP:   ..!mcvax!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,        NSFNET:

stevev@greylady.uoregon.EDU (Steve VanDevender) (03/24/91)

The two main threads of discussion lately have been tales of when
we all discovered Kate, and debate over which are her best and
worst albums.  For me, my history of knowledge of Kate and my
appreciation for her albums are related in an interesting way.

Once, long ago sometime not long after _Hounds of Love_ was
released, I saw the video for "Cloudbusting".  (Interesting
synchronicity:  I'm listening to it right now, not quite by
plan.)  Unfortunately, I can't remember much of that first
experience, except that I must have been impressed and that it
had a lasting effect.

Some time later (I think about a year or so) a friend of mine and
I were discussing musical interests and I happened to pick up
his copy of _The Whole Story_, at which point he admitted that he
worshipped Kate and I admitted that I had some strong interest as
a result of seeing "Cloudbusting".  So he made me a tape of
_Hounds of Love_ and _The Whole Story_, which I ended up
listening to quite a bit.  In particular I found _The Ninth Wave_
side of _Hounds_ fascinating, especially because I like
incomprehensible music (I of course like Laurie Anderson too).
However, even at that time I wouldn't have claimed Kate as my
favorite artist.

The timeline becomes more definite in the summer of 1989, when I
was browsing through the list of USENET newsgroups and I saw
"rec.music.gaffa".   "Gaffa?" I thought, "what the hell is
gaffa?"  My first guess was that it was some kind of reggae group
(god knows why I even thought "gaffa" might be related to reggae,
now).  So out of curiosity I entered the group, read the
messages, and noticed that Kate was mentioned a lot.  One of the
first posts I remember seeing was IED's annotated lyrics to
"Watching You Without Me" (guess what's in my headphones now?),
and reading it began my journey toward true dediKaTion.  The
discussion of _The Ninth Wave_ of that time really showed me the
depth and complexity of Kate's music, and it wasn't too long
before I had borrowed another friend's Kate Bush albums to check
them out.

What I find most interesting is how my tastes have changed over
time.  I was exposed to the albums in roughly this order:
_Hounds of Love_, _The Whole Story_, _The Dreaming_, _Never For
Ever_, _Lionheart_, _The Sensual World_, _The Kick Inside_.  When
I first heard _TD_, I couldn't stop playing it--I remember that
first moment when "Sat In Your Lap" had ended, and "There Goes a
Tenner" started, and I heard the first song of _TD_ that I hadn't
heard before on _TWS_, and I was entranced.  I remember that
every time the helicopter sound on "Pull Out the Pin" started,
I'd jump--for some reason I kept thinking it was outside.  But
_Never For Ever_ and _Lionheart_ didn't interest me much at all
at the time.  I liked a few songs on _NFE_, but much of _NFE_ and
all of _Lionheart_ seemed too shrill to me.  Then I got _TSW_,
and liked it, even though it lacked the amazing power of _TD_ or
_HoL_.  Then I got _TKI_ and found it surprisingly likable, even
though it was in what I called "Kate's shrill period."  The album
which most recently hooked me is _NFE_, which I finally got
around to listening to after I bought it as a KaTemas present to
myself last year.  I can't believed I missed "The Infant Kiss"
the first time I listened to it.

Just a few weeks ago, I went out and got the _Live at
Hammersmith_ video, and it finally erased my tendency to class
Kate's early albums as shrill.  Now I want to get _Lionheart_
just so I can hear "Oh England, My Lionheart", "Don't Push Your
Foot on the Heartbrake", and "Hammer Horror".

So for all of you who think that you don't like some of Kate's
albums now, wait a few years--you might be surprised.

As for me, I have yet to decide whether I want to get the box set
or not.  Deep down, I really do, but I have yet to take any
concrete action.  However, all the recommendations for "Under the
Ivy" are piquing my curiosity, and the possibility of hearing "Un
Baiser D'enfant" is hard to resist--"The Infant Kiss" is
devastating in English, and I'm looking forward to the French
version melting my brain.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (03/24/91)

steve writes:

>So for all of you who think that you don't like some of Kate's
>albums now, wait a few years--you might be surprised.

Yes.  What he said.  The only albums I didn't adore instantly were
_Lionheart_ and _The Dreaming_.  _The Dreaming_ clicked on the second
listen (my excuse is that "Sat In Your Lap" was such an incredible
shock that I couldn't pay any attention to "TGaT" or "POtP," and
SiG blew me away--listening to the rest of the album at the point was
worthless! :-).  _Lionheart_ definitely took a couple of weeks.  A bunch
of people recently have called it her worst album; two years ago, I would
have agreed.  Now I can't make calls like that, as I love all of her albums.
I'm not at a point where I listen to TKI and TSW less than the others, but
I still love them.  There is no worst album...once you acknowledge that
everything pales beside "The Ninth Wave."

>As for me, I have yet to decide whether I want to get the box set
>or not.  However, all the recommendations for "Under the
>Ivy" are piquing my curiosity,

If anything, I was disappointed by "Under the Ivy," simply because it didn't
live up to the expectations I had from .gaffa.  Not that it's not an incredible
song--just not what I expected.

>and the possibility of hearing "Un
>Baiser D'enfant" is hard to resist--"The Infant Kiss" is
>devastating in English, and I'm looking forward to the French
>version melting my brain.

I find "Un Baiser D'Enfant" to be very interesting. A lot of the beauty and
passion of the lyrics are lost in the translation (btw, does anybody know
who wrote the translation?  Was it KaTe or someone else?), and I think a
little bit of the passion of the actual singing is lost.  On the other hand,
I think the rhythm of the melody is *much* prettier in french.  I think
it's time to pop in the CD.  Now.

"Je dit bon nuit, nuit..."

Ahhhhhh.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |