[rec.music.gaffa] pictures from "This Woman's Work" boxed set.

HART@vtmath.math.vt.EDU ("Heath 552-3177", 703) (03/26/91)

Last week, someone asked about the pictures in the "This Woman's Work"
boxed set.  I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back on this, but
here they are:  (By the way, this is from the CD set; I assume the
LP set has the same [but bigger *sigh*] pictures.)

 p. 1: Kate has white makeup all over her face and *lots* of
       dark eyeshadow.  She's wearing a black sleeveless dress
       with the strap over the right shoulder twisted.
       The picture only shows from the chest up.  This may have
       been from a video, but I'm not sure which one.
 p. 2: This is a picture from The Kick Inside.  Kate's wearing
       blue jeans and red red stockings and sitting in a small
       wooden box.
 p. 3: This one's strange.  Kate's got her hair pulled back and
       lying down with a piece of sheer brown material covering
       her entirely.  The material ripples and seems to "swirl"
       about her.
 p. 4: I've seen this one before, but I can't remember where.
       Kate's facing 1/4 to her right, with a beautiful purple
       and gold scarf around her neck and matching make-up.
       The expression on her face is incredible, a kind of
       somber longing.  It's a sad picture but really well done.
 p. 5: This is a picture from Babooshka.  Kate's in black tights
       with a veil over her face and she's leaning against an
       upright bass violin.
 p. 6: This is a picture from Cloudbusting.  Kate's got her
       hair cropped short and is standing against the weather
       machine.
 p. 7: A shoulders-up photo (bare shoulders, though) -- Kate's
       wearing this 40's-ish black hat with a thin-mesh veil and
       sequins all over it and feathers.  The hat is pulled over
       her right eye.
 p. 8: I'd never seen this picture before, but if I had to guess
       it might be from "There Goes a Tenner".  It's a very
       dark picture.  Kate has a trenchcoat draped over her
       right shoulder.  Her left arm is bare and is reaching
       across as if to conceal a gun under the trenchcoat.
 p. 9: If you've seen the "Passing Through Air" bootleg, it's
       the same picture on the cover of that.  Kate's standing
       about 1/3-left, but facing forwards.  She's wearing a
       black sleeveless shirt (again), a chain around her neck,
       and a black pillbox hat with gold leafing on it and a
       tassle.  This is against a yellowish background that
       looks like very out-of-focus leaves or something similar.
p. 10: Kate has really long hair in this photo.  Her left hand
       is on top of her head, and her right hand is on the side
       of her head.  She's pouting a little.  Behind her is a
       translucent window; outside are trees.  It's daylight,
       but it may well be raining outside.
p. 11: Kate's outside sitting on a rocky perch, holding a
       set of bagpipes.  (I think they're bagpipes.  The
       wind sack in under her left elbows.)  The wind has
       blown her hair around.
p. 12: Two pictures:
       (top) This is from Experiment IV.  It's Kate as the
       "nymph"/"angel", just before everything turns ugly.
       (bottom) Okay, maybe _this_ one's from "There Goes a
       Tenner."  Kate's wearing a leather jacket, and she's
       flanked by two guys also dressed in black.  Her hair's
       a little greasy, she's wearing black eye-liner and rouge,
       and her mouth is open like an "O", but defiant-looking.
p. 13: Two pictures:
       (left) This is from The Big Sky.  Near the end.  Kate's
       looking up and all these pilots and astronauts are
       looking up with her.
       (right) Kate's wearing a furry-lined bomber jacket, and
       she's sitting on a cot (?) singing into a microphone.
       Laying on the cot is an olive-skinned guy, looking off.
       There are several red wires in the right side of the photo.
       OK, I'm stumped.
p. 14: Kate's standing with one foot on a stool.  She's wearing
       leather boots, and holding a hat in her right hand.
       She's wearing almost no makeup, and while that's a
       refreshing change, she looks kind of washed out under the
       camera lights.
p. 15: This is from Running Up That Hill.  She's dancing with a
       guy; they're both dressed in grey.  They're facing away
       from us, with arms outstretched.  They're also quite some
       distance away from the camera.
p. 16: Kate's sitting in a Chippendale-ish chair, in a bright
       red robe.  Her left elbow is on the arm rest, and her
       chin is in her left hand.
p. 17: Kate's standing against a yellow brick wall, with her
       hands clasped against her heart.  She's wearing a black
       shoulderless dress, and sunlight is shining in from the
       right, casting a long shadow on the left side of the photo.
p. 18: Kate's dressed in dark grey velveteen, and is kneeling.
       The floor and the wall are both speckled grey, and blend
       so well that I can't tell where the corner is.
p. 19: This is from The Kick Inside.  Kate's wearing that low-cut
       pink leotard.  Not one of my favorite photos.
p. 20: This is a full color print of the cover from The Dreaming.
p. 21: Kate's standing with her arms out from her side in an elegant
       white gown, lit from behind, so you can see through the sleeves.
p. 22: Kate has a red bow in her hair and is wearing a kimono.
       She's kneeling as if in meditation against the same
       grey background in the picture on p. 18.  She's wearing little
       makeup again, but this photo looks better.
p. 23: Kate's bending over in a field.   It's dusk, and the sky is
       a great shade of blue.  Kate's wearing a black and goldenrod
       dress and a green shawl over her head.  This is one of the
       best-colored photos in the book.
p. 24: Three pictures of Kate superimposed.  They're at 1/2-right,
       front, 1/2-left.  In the 1/2 right image, she's looking up,
       and holding her arms up, as if receiving something from the
       sky.  In the 1/2 left image, she's handing it downwards
       towards something else.  _Very_ ethereal looking.

I hope this is a start towards what you wanted.  They say a
picture is worth a thousand words, but dammit, these are pictures
of *KATE*, and ten thousand words still wouldn't do them justice.

__Heath

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (03/26/91)

heath writes:

>p. 11: Kate's outside sitting on a rocky perch, holding a
>       set of bagpipes.  (I think they're bagpipes.  The
>       wind sack in under her left elbows.)  The wind has
>       blown her hair around.

Actually, they're uillean pipes.

Uillean pipes don't really have windbag in quite the same way that bagpipes
do.  "Uillean" translates to elbow--there is a billow with strap that is
put around one's arm.  To get the air moving through the pipes, you just
move your elbow up/down (or is that in/out?  Whatever... ;-).  The most
obvious advantage to this is that the player can sing whilst playing.

Assuming I've remembered everything correctly, this is info is taken from
a description of the instrument given by Paddy Moloney at a Chieftains
concert I went to a few years ago...in fact, it was the same month I
bought my first KaTe album.

>p. 13: Two pictures:

>       (right) Kate's wearing a furry-lined bomber jacket, and
>       she's sitting on a cot (?) singing into a microphone.
>       Laying on the cot is an olive-skinned guy, looking off.
>       There are several red wires in the right side of the photo.
>       OK, I'm stumped.

This is from the "Oh England, My Lionheart" sequence of the Tour of Life.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

stevev@greylady.uoregon.EDU (Steve VanDevender) (03/26/91)

I can at least help Heath out with the picture on page 13 of the
box set booklet, which he describes thus:

       (right) Kate's wearing a furry-lined bomber jacket, and
       she's sitting on a cot (?) singing into a microphone.
       Laying on the cot is an olive-skinned guy, looking off.
       There are several red wires in the right side of the photo.
       OK, I'm stumped.

This would appear to be a still from the performance of "Oh
England My Lionheart" in the _Kate Bush: Live at Hammersmith_
video.