[rec.music.gaffa] Finding KaTe

jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) (03/20/91)

Hi, I just recently discovered this newsgroup! A great place
to discuss Kate!

My question: how did people first hear of/learn about Kate Bush? It's
not like she gets lots of air play in the U. S. radio market. I
discussed this with Kate-friends and they all got into Kate while
visiting Europe.

I found Kate in a roundabout way. While shopping in a rather funky
little record store in Houston's West Alabama area, I spotted _The
Dreaming_ album. I remember being impressed that this woman had a key
on her tongue. The cover was so creative, I HAD to have the album,
even though I had no clue as to what Kate Bush's music was like. . .
needless to say, after about five increasingly intense listenings
to _The Dreaming_ (especially the title track and "Night of the
Swallow") I was back at that record store, hungry for more. . .!

Any other stories on how Love-Hounds discovered Kate?

Later,
Jeff
--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com

jost@ACME.COYOTE.TRW.COM (Patrick Jost) (03/20/91)

In article <9103192253.AA13468@sqa.dsg.ti.com> jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) writes:

>My question: how did people first hear of/learn about Kate Bush? It's
>not like she gets lots of air play in the U. S. radio market. I
>discussed this with Kate-friends and they all got into Kate while
>visiting Europe.

(Jeff's story deleted to save space)

>Any other stories on how Love-Hounds discovered Kate?

In about 1981 I was playing bass (Rick 4001-guess why?) in a casual group
with some fellow employees. All of us had diverse tastes; somehow, the name
Kate Bush came up, and not long after that someone mentioned that she'd
worked with Peter Gabriel. I bought "The Kick Inside" and found it mildly
interesting. I eventually got "The Dreaming" and really liked it...it is
my favourite, but don't want to get into THAT debate. "Never for Ever" and
"Lionheart" are interesting, but don't do much for me. "Hounds of Love"
seems like a logical sequel to "The Dreaming", but I can't figure out
"The Sensual World" which I don't like that much. I think Clive James
says it well when he describes her as a "healthy well shaped girl, she
dresses to frighten the horses".

PJ

 "You might think that, but I certainly couldn't comment..." (House of Cards)

       Patrick Jost/jost@coyote.trw.com/(213) 812-2759/(213) 313-2803

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (03/20/91)

I got into KaTe in a sort of roundabout way.  I'd heard the name, but had
no idea what her music was like...but I knew she sang back up on one
of the Gabriel albums my brother had.  Then I bought Big Country's _The Seer_,
on which she sings BVs on the title track.

The manager of the record store where I worked in 86/87 told me to listen
to some of her stuff, but I never did...  Other than little bits like
"Don't Give Up," I had no real contact with KaTe until late '87, when
I borrowed a copy of TWS from a friend.  It was great, so I went out and
bought my first CD:  _Never For Ever_.  That sufficed until the following
fall ('88).  A friend of mine who'd heard me playing NFE all the time had
bought HoL and TKI over the summer.  I fell in love with both albums, but
purchashed neither.  I bought Lionheart, then HoL, then TD, and finally,
in June '89, I bought TKI.

"Army Dreamers" is still my favorite KaTe song, with "The Ninth Wave" a close
second (what?  I can't do that?  Okay, "Jig of Life" is my second favorite).
SiG, Houdini, Night of the Swallow, and SiYL follow after those.

Getting into KaTe was a fairly slow process for me--it took me ~1.5 years
to get all of the (then) 5 studio albums.  (considering that it took me
a little over two years to get all 16 Genesis albums, this is slow...)

I don't even know if I would have bought _Never For Ever_ if "Army Dreamers"
hadn't grabbed me so strongly when I first heard TWS.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

kaufman@eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (03/20/91)

In article <9103192253.AA13468@sqa.dsg.ti.com> jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) writes:
>Any other stories on how Love-Hounds discovered Kate?

When I was in college, my best friend in the world played "Wuthering Heights"
to me.  I was hooked at once.  I went out and bought TKI and have never looked
back.

I would also like to point out that if Tamar was my best friend before Kate,
you can just imagine how I feel about her now.

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in
                | lost in time - like tears in rain. Time to die.     Roy Batty

dwelch@tzone.UUCP (Dan Welch) (03/21/91)

For me, the very first intro to Her was on _So_.  I liked the album
and song so much that I bought TWS about a month later.  And then,
it was only ~2 weeks before I had all the CDs (five, at that
time) . . . and you know, looking back, I wonder why it took that
long.

Now, of course, I have TSW, an interview CD, a bootleg CD of LaH,
several CD singles, and of course, the box set.

By the way, to anyone who collects her albums on vinyl or (gasp)
tape, SHAME ON YOU.  You should buy a CD player JUST FOR HER.

								-----
							      /       \
Daniel Welch						     |         |
Tandem Computers, Inc.					      \       /
Austin, TX, USA							--+--
halley!tzone!dwelch@cs.utexas.edu				  |
							      ----+----
								  | /
I should have been home hours ago, but I'm not here ...		  |<
								  |  \

dbx@OLYMPIC.ATMOS.COLOSTATE.EDU (Doug Burks) (03/21/91)

My discovery and appreciation (to put it mildly) of Kate was long and slow.
What first piqued my curiosity was a review of The Dreaming in Musician
magazine.  My tastes in music have always been just plain different, and this
album seemed to fill the bill.  In retrospect, it may have been too different,
because two listens to it just got me interested enough to keep an ear out
for Kate.  You have to admit that The Dreaming is not the easiest
introduction to Kate!  Yet it was enough for me to purchase Hounds of Love.
I vastly enjoyed the first listen, but it was during the second the the light
finally turned on.  I I was hooked.  I had all the earlier albums in my hands
within a few weeks!

As for the great Kate album debate, I fully side with Hounds of Love being
her best album.  However, just try to get my copies of The Dreaming (or
any other Kate album!) away from me!!!

Doug Burks                                     _O_
dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu                 |<       She really is!!

mauser@WAM.UMD.EDU (Rich Chandler) (03/21/91)

My first exposure to Kate was while I was in college radio.  Someone called my
show and asked for "Babooshka".  I played it, and believe it or not, i didn't
like it.
  However, the seed was planted in the back of my head, and it grew, and I
began to play far too much Kate on my show.
Actually, that's the same way it goes for a lot of my friends, they don't
like it at first, then they beg for more.

--
POLITICALLY CORRECT: A phrase used to limit people's freedom of thought
                     c.f. Moral Majority.

golden@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU (Stephen "Shadow" Golden) (03/21/91)

About a year ago Kate was #1 on the College charts.  I had never heard
of her.  I really had no interest in her.  But, after noticing that
she had her own newsgroup I became real curious.  Right before
I went on spring break, I stopped in Sam Goody and noticed her album
 (TSW) was on sale.  I had never bought anything before without knowing at
least one song on it.  I decided to give it a chance.  I brought
it home with me, and I just did't care for it.  About one month later,
I was studying and I wanted to put some music on.  I thought I'd
give it another chance.  No response.  A couple weeks later I tried again.
This time, I read some of the lyrics as I listened.  Suddenly "Deeper
Understanding" became very appealing.  I started listening to the one song
many times.  I'd usually give "Between A Man and a Woman" a chance, but
it still didn't do it for me.  Well, I brought the tape home that
summer and by then I was in love with the whole album.  I went to
a store near me and bought Lionheart.  After one listen I decided, I
must have bought the wrong album.  This didn't sound the same as the
Kate Bush on TSW.  Naturally, I didn't like it.  After four listenings
I couldn't stop playing it.  My tape player was on non-stop
Lionheart and TSW.  Then I saw an old article on Kate in Rolling Stone.
They specifically named Lionheart as her worst album.  I was shocked, so
I bought yet another.
     By the end of the summer I owned HoL (The Best) and TKI.  I didn't
want to get too much Kate too fast, for I didn't want to run out of
material.  I started reading Gaffa when school started again, and
here I saw everyone raving about The Dreaming.  So, I avoided it.
Instead, I bought Never For Ever, which I couldn't really appreciate.
I saw The Whole Story video collection, and Army Dreamers and Breathing
just knocked me out.  Suddenly I discovered the real value in my tape.
I finally gave in and bought The Dreaming, and actually loved it on
my first listening.  I have a strange taste in music, so no one I
know believes me that Kate is awesome.  Well I guess I'm now a
big Kate fan, but no where near most of you Big League fans. I
don't know where to find a bootleg, and certainly can't afford
a boxed set.  But one day I shall...

-- Stephen Golden
golden@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

--
"Oh come on, you've got to use your flow.
 You know what it's like, and you know you want to go.

houghge@EXPERT.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Gerald Hough) (03/23/91)

In article <9103201705.AA15321@tzone.mpd.tandem.com> dwelch@tzone.UUCP (Dan Welch) writes:
>By the way, to anyone who collects her albums on vinyl or (gasp)
>tape, SHAME ON YOU.  You should buy a CD player JUST FOR HER.

Really?  I've only got Never for Ever, HoL, TSW and various singles on
CD, but my pride and joy is my vinyl.  I've got all the albums in all
the original releases- including TKI pikdisk and HoL marbleized.  Also
I didn't have to buy the boxed set since I've got all the 45's and 12".
Since she still hasn't taken the plunge and gone DDD, I still like the
fell and sound of the vinyl releases.

Oh well, i'll probably get all of them anyway on CD eventually %^)

--Gooch

|   Gerald E. Hough II             |Collect:KateBushSistersOfMercyCure|
|   houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu   |Like:ClannadFraceGallBerlinDigital|
|   Purdue University Physics Lib. |UndergroundLedZepJourneyBauhausNWA|
|       -     -    -    -          |NikKershawELO10000ManiacsREMEnigma|
| "Have a cola de mono on me..."   |JeanMichelJarreVangelesJamesHorner|

martyst@sco.COM (auspicious Znegl) (03/26/91)

In article <9103192253.AA13468@sqa.dsg.ti.com> jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) writes:
>Any other stories on how Love-Hounds discovered Kate?

A friend was upgrading his collection to CD and gave me a
cassette with Kate on it. I had heard of her, but had never
heard her music. He didn't write anything on the tape box,
so I was without any information except the artist. Needless
to say, I was entranced by what sounded like a continuous
suite of songs delivered in a haunting emotional style
common to more ordinary songwriters, but with a stunning
mastery of the recording studio that reminded me of Sgt.
Pepper, in breadth of reach if not actual sound. It was one
of those rare instances of liking every note on a record
on the first listening.

It turned out to be Hounds, which is, um, her best.

Marty
--
 Your pal, Marty Stevens  +  martyst@sco.COM  +  ...!{uunet,ucscc}!sco!martyst
         "Please censor yourself."  -- BJSST8@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Elizabeth=Bonesteel%Eng%Banyan@THING.BANYAN.COM (03/27/91)

When I first found KaTe, I didn't know it.

See, way back about a million years when WBCN Boston was still a cool radio
station, there was a Big Matress Song of the Week called "Breathing."
Frustratingly, I kept coming in in the middle; and while I loved the song, I
never caught the artist's name.  So the song came and went, and I, who was
only fourteen at the time, went back to hating school.

Many years after that I was in a car with my brother, who was playing a tape a
friend had made for him that had a bunch of different stuff.  Sure enough,
there was "Breathing."  He played it a couple of times at my request, and then
I asked him who the artist was.  "Oh," he said, "that's Kate Bush.  You
wouldn't have heard of her."  He was right, I hadn't; and two minutes after we
left the car I'd forgotten her name.

Fast-forward to 1985, when there was a neat TV station in Boston called V66,
which was a sort of local MTV deal.  They started playing the video for
"Running Up That Hill", which I found wonderfully bizarre.  I had a friend who
knew of KaTe, and described most of her work as "singing very fast in a really
high voice."  (Found out later she was referring to "Wuthering Heights" - not
the description I would have used, but I suppose I know what she meant.)   I
went out and bought the album, and found it bizarre but not wonderful
(although I do remember thinking, during "Waking the Witch", that I would
eventually come to love that song).  I taped it, as I did all my records, and
spent most of my time playing RUTH over and over and over again.

And then one day I let the tape run over into HoL, and the rest is history.  I
became hooked on the album, went out and bought TKI (at the recommendation of
my friend), and then one day browsing through the KaTe bin plucked out "Never
For Ever" and turned it over.  Sure enough, there it was: the Big Matress Song
of the Week!

I now own all the (legal) CDs, including This Woman's Work, which I bought
with money that really should have been used to replace my clutch.  My
favorites vary so much, although lately I've been listening to "Ran Tan Waltz"
a lot.  Like many others, I'm left cold by much of "Lionheart"; but I wouldn't
trade it away!