[rec.music.gaffa] tours, etc.

gb10@GTE.COM (Gregory Bossert) (03/23/91)

ho!

bands on tour (maybe):

	Lush -- at least, they're playing in boston (sat. the 23rd) w/Ride
	Throwing Muses -- ditto, only it's April 25th or so.

also, for you hubsters, Lush will be at newbury comics in harvard square
tomorrow afternoon (i.e. the 23rd)...

Lars says
> [stuff about _Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares, vol.3_]

all three of these albums are great.  also check out the Trio Bulgarka and
various other bulgarian albums on the Hannibal/Carthage label (home of
Fairport Convention...)

i, too, bought _The Dreaming_ because of the cover -- i'd never heard of
KaTe.  that was 9 years ago and i'm still recovering.

my favorite album is all of them.

my favorite song is all of them.  good thing i have all the albums.

my least favorite album is by someone else.

i live in suburbia:  the NEIGHBORS scare US.

are there no irish love-hounds?  i've been told that being associated with
Planxty (the source of many of KaTe's irish musicians) is somewhat like
having members of Peter, Paul, and Mary play on your album:  i.e. uncool.
(no dis intended to those P,P, & M fans out there.)  did She perform in
ireland on the Tour of Life?

'm working on the complete Bongwater.  anyone out there know if Arson
Garden is still around?  what about another Sarah McLachlan (sp?) album?

i think R.E.M.s new one is better than it sounds.  the video for _Losing
My Religion_ is one of the few (ever) i'll stop to watch.  (along with
New Order's _Perfect Kiss_ and _True Faith_, the Smith's _How Soon Is Now_,
and KaTe's _RUTH_, _Cloudbusting_, _The Dreaming_, and _SiG_.)  (Well,
Alright, i will sit through some others, but there aren't many that don't
feel like a waste of time.)

hmm, better footah out of here before i get opinionated, or somethin'
-greg -- gb10@gte.com

riley@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Daniel S. Riley) (03/23/91)

In some article or another, gb10@GTE.COM (Gregory Bossert) writes:
>i, too, bought _The Dreaming_ because of the cover -- i'd never heard of
>KaTe.  that was 9 years ago and i'm still recovering.

Yep, I remember.  Greg and I were roommates at the time, and my basic
reaction to TD was "weird stuff, greg."  Actually took me several years
to get over that initial reaction, and a few more beyond that before I
decided for sure that TD is one of the great albums of all time.

Despite my undying gratitude to greg for introducing me to KaTe, I'm
going to disagree with him.  You *had* heard of KaTe before, from her
backing vocals on PG III (this being back in the days when we always
read all the credits religiously).  You even mentioned that to me when
you first showed me the album (or at least that's the way I remember
it).

-dan, in a revisionist mood (and it was 8.5 years ago, not 9...)

Oh yeah, favorite single:  "Ne T'enfuis Pas", followed by "Under the
Ivy".
--

-Dan Riley (riley@theory.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (03/23/91)

greg writes:

>Anyone out there know if Arson
>Garden is still around?

One of the *very* few advantages of going to school in Bloomington--most of
Arson Garden used to live in my dorm.  In fact, they gave a concert in my
dorms cafeteria last September.

I heard that Arson Garden was here in town either early this month or late
last month, but I didn't hear about the show until the day after.  Sigh.
Finally old enough to go see 'em in the various bars they play, and I don't
find out in time.

No, I don't know if an album is in the works, etc., etc.  But I gather that
they are still together.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

declann@scol.sco.COM (03/27/91)

gb10@GTE.COM (Gregory Bossert) writes:

> are there no irish love-hounds?

There are, its just that we're been keeping a low profile on gaffa !

> i've been told that being associated with
> Planxty (the source of many of KaTe's irish musicians) is somewhat like
> having members of Peter, Paul, and Mary play on your album:  i.e. uncool.

Planxty was one of the foremost Irish folk bands of the seventies and
they have been extremely influential in this field.  Also, the excellent
Christy Moore was once a member, amongst others (Donal Lunny too ? I forget).
Anyway, what with the emergence of groups such as the Pogues and the
Waterboys in recent years,  I don't think Irish music has ever been as
"cool" !  Though I sincerely trust that this isn't the reason people
are getting into it.

> hmm, better footah out of here before i get opinionated, or somethin'
> -greg -- gb10@gte.com

Declan
declann@sco.COM