[rec.music.gaffa] Love-Hounds Digest

dhsu@SUN.COM (David Hsu) (07/08/89)

	From: Mark Anderson <manderso@ugly.cs.ubc.ca>
	Subject: Lyrics and Archives

	To my great surprise I discovered last night that the ftp at
	our site is no longer broken!  Of course, within no time I was
	on GAFFA.MIT.EDU snarfing the first of the Love-Hounds
	archives!  And reading them (far too) late into the night...

	I hope that by the time Kate's new album is released, I will
	have had time to read *all* of the archived Love-Hounds! (My
	vision is blurring just thinking about it!)

Speaking from experience, I should think it will take you about three
weeks to read _and think about_ the contents of the Love-Hounds
archives.  Pay particularly close attention to all those interviews
that IED has so tirelessly transcribed.

	Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

	Before he lifts a finger, however, could _all_ Love-Hounds who
	would _really_ be interested in _truly_ showing up at a West
	Los Angeles Katemas party _please_ indicate as much, either in
	Love-Hounds or in e-mail to IED?

Me!  Me!  I happen to be on this coast this year, so hell yes I'll go.
Let me know if you could use another laserdisc player.

cogito, ergo KaTe

-dave

relph@PRESTO.IG.COM (John M. Relph) (07/13/89)

Doug Krause <dkrause@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU> sez:

>This whole logo hunt poses a question.  Can we with CDs find them?

Well, the logos tend to get fairly small, but you can probably find
most of them.  The exception is _Never For Ever_, in which the logo is
not included on the CD packaging.  Sorry.

	-- John

Scott.A.C.McIntyre@exeter.ac.UK (02/16/90)

Doug!  All!  I heard the new Kate song on Comic Strip last night...for
those of you in the states who don't know what CS is, it's a weekly
alternative comedy programme that is performed as a drama...this week
was G.L.C.  Kate sang original score for it...two songs is what I
counted...plus HoL was playing on a Jukebox in one scene.

I hear this comes out as Bside to Love and Anger in March...until then
Im just watching the video over and over.  It's a brilliant song!

But then again, what else would you expect from KaTe?

Scott

Julian.West@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU (02/23/90)

K. Bernatz (kb32@andrew.cmu.edu) signs herself
Azhran, Lord of Darkness

--- Um, isn't that "Azhrarn" actually, Azhran?

                 --- Julian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/08/90)

Really-From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu

> not because the frank chickens are bad

Frank chickens are great! Does anyone know whether they
have recordings available in the U.S.?

> ..hey does ANYONE know ANYTHING about the 10,000 maniacs re-releases
> If so, please post and/or e-mail me!!  AS

cc to me, please.

Julian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/21/90)

Really-From: John M. Relph <relph@presto.ig.com>

Andrew Marvick (IED) <IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu> says:

>   However convenient it may be for you, Richard, to accept it as "a
>given" that _TSW_ is inferior to _Hounds_of_Love_, the claim--unsupported
>as it is--remains profoundly unconvincing to this fan. IED does _not_
>accept the album's inferiority as a given.

Perhaps not given, but if I, personally, base my judgment solely upon
my emotional response to the two albums, _The Sensual World_ clearly
comes up the inferior album.  That's just the way I feel it.

And more rationally, I don't particularly care for the sound quality
of the album.  I definitely would rather listen to _Hounds of Love_.
I would rather listen to _The Dreaming_.  I think there is no
transparency to the recording.  Where in _Hounds of Love_ there were
layers of sound, _The Sensual World_ has an impenetrable wall.  Where
in _Hounds of Love_ the quiet background noises were clever and
necessary, in _The Sensual World_ the noises are too planned, and
almost a cliche; their cleverness is transformed into routine.

Remember folks, this is merely my opinion.

	-- John

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/01/90)

Really-From: cjs@HOTLF.ATT.COM

Hi:

Here's the Top 20 from the Memorial Day countdown on
WHTG 106.3, Eatontown NJ.   The listeners
sent in postcards with their favorite songs.
Kate Bush came in at #19 Cloud Bursting and #54 Running Up
The Hill.

1	Dramarama		Anything Anything
2	Depeche Mode		Enjoy the Silence
3	Tommy Keene		Back to Zero Now
4	Peter Gabriel		In Your Eyes
5	Nine Inch Nails		Head like a Hole
6	Peter Murphy		Cuts You Up
7	Velvet Underground	Sweet Jane
8	Jesus and Mary Chain	Head On
9	The Cramps		Bikini Girls with Machine Guns
10	The Smiths		How soon is Now
11	Sinead O'Connor		Mandinka
12	The Cure		Love Cats
13	Squeeze			Pulling Mussels From a Shell
14	They Might Be Giants	Birdhouse in your soul
15	U2			Bad
16	Richard Barone		Something Happens
17	The Fixx		Stand or Fall
18	Nitzer Ebb		Lighting Man
19	Kate Bush		Cloud Bursting
20	Talking Heads		Once in a Lifetime

I have a copy of all 106.3 songs in the countdown --
I'm just a little to lazy to type them all in.

Have fun,
Carol
cjs@hotlg.att.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/09/90)

Really-From: tracyr@sco.COM (Tracy Roberts)

I think the band that sounded like the Cocteau Twins was
"Beautiful Pea Green Boat".

Jon Escape-from-Noise Drukman can verify.

tracy
uunet!sco!tracyr,
tracyr@sco.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/24/90)

Really-From: cjs@hotlf.att.com

Does anyone have bitmaps for SUNVIEW?  My sun system
doesn't have the xwindows up and running (only the sw developers
have xwindows avail) so I'm stick with sunview.

Or are the xwindows maps compatiable with the sun systems.

thanks in advance,
c.swanson
cjs@hotlf.att.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/03/90)

Really-From: Annie <VENTURE@brownvm.brown.edu>

Good morning, love hounds.  I've been lurking on the net for several
months, but waited until today to post so that I could do so while
basking in the wonder and the joy of my recently acquired status:
owner of _TWW_ cd box set.  I'm ecstatic.

For those of you welching at painfully high prices for _TWW_, I bring
good news.  Mine was $149.99  -- the last one in stock at Tom's Tracks
in Providence, Rhode Island -- but Tom will order, and Tom will ship,
at a cost to you of about $159.99 and available in ten days to two weeks
(yikes I'm glad I don't have to wait!).  His phone is 401.274.0820.
Call him.  Tell him Annie sent you.  And anyone spending over $100 gets
a free Tom's t shirt.. 2 good 2 b true.

Me, I've been a KTfan since the ninth grade, when I was in a production
of _Fiddler on the Roof_ and had to wear a babooshka with my costume.  A
friend would sing bits of KT's Babooshka to me backstage as encouragement.

Cheers to all, and happy full-moon-watching tonight.

wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (Bill Wisner) (02/05/91)

>our new moderator: what machine are the archives now on? and what is
>its ip address (you know the funny numbers :) (we're gonna have to fi-
>gure out a funny way to type his name like |>oug's...maybe |3ill?).

They're on hayes.ims.alaska.edu, 137.229.30.200.  Sometime soon I'll
get to breaking up the huge (nine megabyte) file of messages that
|>oug managed to accumulate and add them to the archives.

w.

newsmgr@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU (ICON) (02/05/91)

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest
From: wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (Bill Wisner)
Date: 4 Feb 91 17:36:45 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@ims.alaska.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: newsmgr@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU (ICON)
Date: 4 Feb 91 20:03:00 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@ims.alaska.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (Bill Wisner)
Date: 4 Feb 91 17:36:45 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@ims.alaska.edu

>our new moderator: what machine are the archives now on? and what is
>its ip address (you know the funny numbers :) (we're gonna have to fi-
>gure out a funny way to type his name like |>oug's...maybe |3ill?).

They're on hayes.ims.alaska.edu, 137.229.30.200.  Sometime soon I'll
get to breaking up the huge (nine megabyte) file of messages that
|>oug managed to accumulate and add them to the archives.

w.

jsd@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (jon drukman) (03/16/91)

1.  Opening Act: undoubtedly it should be Skinny Puppy.  Imagine all that
theatre under one roof in one evening!  I'm in awe.

2.  Best Album: The Dreaming.  No question.  Hounds of Love is close, but
not quite sufficient.

3.  Walk Through The Fire (Peter Gabriel):  On the B-side of the RED RAIN
12" single, also on the soundtrack of the movie AGAINST ALL ODDS (I am
informed, I only have the 12")

4.  Kate is only 18" tall.  DOn't be fooled by photos.

/j/

judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) (03/25/91)

  Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting me on the "Digest"
mailing list. I am thoroughly and most wonderfully impressed. I have
a couple of questions, tho, (which may sound stupid but maybe not, since
you probably understand how hard it is to find anyone who knows anything
about KaTe in this part of the country...) Hopefully, you can and will be
nice enough to take the time to answer them for me.

  What is "Under The Ivy"?

  There was a reference to a KaTe Bush World tour in 91-92. Is this a joke,
or what?

  I have "The Kick Inside," "Never For Ever", "Lionheart", "The Dreaming",
"Hounds Of Love", "The Sensual World", and "The Whole Story" on CD; and
"The Mini-4 LP" on tape. Are there other releases I should know about, and if
so, where/how can I get them? I have yet to find anyone in Tucson who knows
even as much about KaTe as I do, which isn't much in the first place.

  Any information you could send me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Even addresses of fan clubs/newsletters/etc. would be a help.

   Dying from lack of KaTe in the desert,
                judi

KIRSCH33@SNYNEWVM.BITNET (Jen) (03/28/91)

(My last letter didn't seem to get through- so if this one goes awry as well,
will the recipient please write to me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?)

I've heard rumours that Kate is Bisexual. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Also, what's her religious orientation?

graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) (03/28/91)

I can't commment on whether Kate is or was bisexual. I do know that she is in
a relationship with Del Palmer.

As to her religious beliefs, she went to catholic school but I'm not sure if
her parents were practicing catholics.
She has said something (I think) to the effect of "I believe in a god, but it
probably isn't the one you believe in" (correct me if I'm wrong)

mike
--
Michael Graham          |   Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     |   painted itself purple and danced naked on top of