[rec.music.gaffa] Kate and Midge Ure

brianb@natinst.COM (Brian Bloom) (04/04/91)

Just a note to any who might not know, Kate does backup singing
on the track 'Sisters and Brothers' on Midge Ure's _Answers to Nothing_
album.  IMHO, it's a great song (although we don't get enough of her in it!)

Br!an Bloom
brianb@natinst.com         (okay, okay... I'll make a .sig file!!!)

dbk@TOVE.CS.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) (04/04/91)

In article <21521@natinst.natinst.com> brianb@natinst.COM (Brian Bloom) writes:
>Just a note to any who might not know, Kate does backup singing
>on the track 'Sisters and Brothers' on Midge Ure's _Answers to Nothing_
>album.  IMHO, it's a great song (although we don't get enough of her in it!)

I'm sure your mention of this has _nothing_ to do with the fact that
WHFS played it Monday morning. :-)  I knew it was Kate, and I was
pretty sure it was the Midge Ure track, but I was in a hurry and had
to leave the house before it was announced.

I generally don't like Midge Ure (or Ultravox or Visage, etc.) but
this sounded O.K.  Or perhaps that should read O.K.T. :-)

#dan

Clever:         dbk@cs.umd.edu    | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (04/04/91)

Dan writes:

>I'm sure your mention of this has _nothing_ to do with the fact that
>WHFS played it Monday morning. :-)  I knew it was Kate, and I was
>pretty sure it was the Midge Ure track, but I was in a hurry and had
>to leave the house before it was announced.

HEY!  No fair!  Now that I'm trapped back in Indiana where the radio
stations have never heard of KaTe, and y'all have to start discussing
HFS!

What's that station ID they have?  Something like, "This is Kate Bush
and you're listening to the sensual world on WHFS."  Y'know, that's probably
not even close.  But the idea is there.

Sigh.

Jeff
(who has discovered the having a WHFS bumper sticker on his car doesn't help
pick up the radiowaves in the slightest)
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/05/91)

[Talking about WHFS.]

>What's that station ID they have?  Something like, "This is Kate Bush
>and you're listening to the sensual world on WHFS."  Y'know, that's probably
>not even close.  But the idea is there.

>|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |

Geez, if anybody has this station ID on tape I'd LOVE to get a copy.  I'd
pay all expenses, of course.  The same goes for the station ID I've
been told KROQ Los Angeles has.  KITS San Francisco plays Kate quite
a bit, but they've never managed to get one of those IDs!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

dbk@TOVE.CS.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) (04/05/91)

In article <9104041724.AA08802@das.llnl.gov> ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
>>What's that station ID they have?  Something like, "This is Kate Bush
>>and you're listening to the sensual world on WHFS."  Y'know, that's probably
>>not even close.  But the idea is there.

That sounds pretty close to me.  They have another, older one too.
Something like, "Hi, this is Kate Bush and whenever I fly across the
Atlantic I listen to WHFS."  I remember the first time I actually
heard this one (I'd heard about it) it started just as my car went
into a tunnel and I lost radio reception.  I set a land speed record
getting thru that tunnel, but missed the end anyway. :-)

>Geez, if anybody has this station ID on tape I'd LOVE to get a copy.  I'd
>pay all expenses, of course.  The same goes for the station ID I've
>been told KROQ Los Angeles has.  KITS San Francisco plays Kate quite
>a bit, but they've never managed to get one of those IDs!

It's real hard to predict when they're going to air these things,
your best bet is that someone might have gotten it on tape accidently
when they were taping something else.  I don't even have a receiver in
the house, so I don't tape off the radio.

In article <9104041724.AA08802@das.llnl.gov> I wrote:

> KITS San Francisco plays Kate quite
>a bit, but they've never managed to get one of those IDs!

What do you know?  I wrote the above just a couple of hours
ago, and KITS just played "The Sensual World."  I should try
this more often!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

cse0735@DESIRE.WRIGHT.EDU (04/08/91)

In article <32462@mimsy.umd.edu>, dbk@TOVE.CS.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) writes:

> In article <9104041724.AA08802@das.llnl.gov> ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
>>>What's that station ID they have?  Something like, "This is Kate Bush
>>>and you're listening to the sensual world on WHFS."  Y'know, that's probably
>>>not even close.  But the idea is there.
>
> That sounds pretty close to me.  They have another, older one too.
> Something like, "Hi, this is Kate Bush and whenever I fly across the
> Atlantic I listen to WHFS."  I remember the first time I actually
> heard this one (I'd heard about it) it started just as my car went
> into a tunnel and I lost radio reception.  I set a land speed record
> getting thru that tunnel, but missed the end anyway. :-)
>
>>Geez, if anybody has this station ID on tape I'd LOVE to get a copy.  I'd
>>pay all expenses, of course.  The same goes for the station ID I've
>>been told KROQ Los Angeles has.  KITS San Francisco plays Kate quite
>>a bit, but they've never managed to get one of those IDs!

That's amazing.  KITS in San Francisco can't get a station ID from Kate
but tiny little WWSU here in Dayton can.  "Hi, this is Kate Bush and you're
listening to WWSU".  It's generic but it's her.  It sounds like she's on the
phone with a really bad connection.  WWSU is Wright State's radio
station and when I say tiny I mean parvial (10 watts).  I can't pick it up when
I leave the parking lot.  Obviously, someone there has connections.

Greg Blouch
Wright State University
Dayton, Ohio