[rec.music.gaffa] Kate-Kate-Kate-Kate-Kate-Kate-...

kauff@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Brian Kauffman) (04/09/91)

I'm new to this group, and the first thing any newcomer has gotta think is
"what gives with all the Kate articles?".
Look, I like Kate too, but she's not the only game in town.
I was hoping I'd get turned on to something new, or at least discussions
on a *variety* of artists.
Here's an honest suggestion: expand your horizons.
-Brian

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (04/09/91)

Brian writes:

>Look, I like Kate too, but she's not the only game in town.
>I was hoping I'd get turned on to something new, or at least discussions
>on a *variety* of artists.
>Here's an honest suggestion: expand your horizons.

a) There's a reason this is called rec.music.*gaffa*.  It was created
specifically to discuss Kate Bush.  Don't like?  Read another newsgroup--
there are plenty that are music-oriented.

b)  I've been turned onto more music by more varied artists than from all
the other music newsgroups I've read combined.  This includes artists like
Happy Rhodes, Jane Siberry, Concrete Blonde, and a bunch of others I
can't think of off hand, but that I would never have known existed if it
weren't for r.m.g and the people who populate it (thanks, Vickie!).

Kate Bush occupies roughly 1/20 of my music collection.  Most of those other
artists simply don't merit the sort of in depth discussion that much of
KaTe's music can induce.  What's wrong with having a place where this can
happen?

I don't know how it came to be that r.m.g exists (I find it interesting
that Love-Hounds occupies a place in the rec.music hierarchy, instead of
somewhere in the alt hierarchy), but if it bugs you to read a *newsgroup*
largely devoted to one artist, then why not subscribe to the Love-Hounds
Digest?  Then it's no different from any of the other music mailing-lists
out there--of which the ones I've read are *much* more rabid about maintaing
purity of just what appears.

There's a magical "u" key on your keyboard--rn will know what to do with it.
Use it if you need to....

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

kauff@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Brian Kauffman) (04/09/91)

The list of newsgroups does not make it clear that this is specifically a
Kate Bush newsgroup.  I was told it was "Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush)"
And, of course, I like Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush).
My mistake, I guess.

-thanks to those who kindly informed me

-Brian

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/09/91)

>The list of newsgroups does not make it clear that this is specifically a
>Kate Bush newsgroup.  I was told it was "Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush)"
>And, of course, I like Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush).
>My mistake, I guess.
>-Brian

Actually, he's got a point.  The current description is kind of confusing.
I haven't the vaguest idea how to change it, but if we could change it,
wouldn't something like "Kate Bush, and other artists of interest to
Kate Bush fans" be more correct?

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

sigma@sun.ipl.rpi.EDU (Kevin Martin) (04/09/91)

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
>>The list of newsgroups does not make it clear that this is specifically a
>>Kate Bush newsgroup.  I was told it was "Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush)"
>>And, of course, I like Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush).
>>My mistake, I guess.
>
>Actually, he's got a point.  The current description is kind of confusing.
>I haven't the vaguest idea how to change it, but if we could change it,
>wouldn't something like "Kate Bush, and other artists of interest to
>Kate Bush fans" be more correct?

What list of newsgroups are we referring to?  Gene Spafford's?  If so, drop
a note to Gene Spafford: spaf@cs.purdue.edu
I don't think he'd be unreceptive to improving the description - I think
alt.mud was simply '???' until its readers took notice.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@ipl.rpi.edu

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) (04/09/91)

kauff@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Brian Kauffman) writes:

>The list of newsgroups does not make it clear that this is specifically a
>Kate Bush newsgroup.  I was told it was "Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush)"
>And, of course, I like Progressive music (e.g., Kate Bush).
>My mistake, I guess.
>-thanks to those who kindly informed me

     A best way to describe this group is "Progressive music, (default Kate
Bush.)"  Not very emotional, but it's accurate.  If you'd like to talk about
other groups, you would be more than welcome.  I have noticed that,
fortunately, humans are incapable of reading minds.  If you'd like to talk
about a group, then do so: the discussion will be welcome.  If you expect us
to talk about what you want, I think you've got the wrong sense of reality.
Kate fans kinda live here, so you're going to see a lot of Kate, _as well as_
progressive discussions that come up.  I doubt any of us would discriminate.
     Have you missed all the other discussions here?

--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu

wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (Bill Wisner) (04/16/91)

I've taken care of the newsgroup description.

Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
And we pause for the jets.