[rec.music.gaffa] "This Woman's Work" video

judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) (04/12/91)

   Just watched the video again for "This Woman's Work." Earlier, I
stated I thought it was told from the man's point of view, and concerning
things he wished he had told her.
  Now, I can also see the video as if being told by the woman from her
point of view (same reason). Does anyone else see it as being specifically
from the man's or the woman's point of view? I'm just not good at deciphering
things like that.

  Also- as to the first few lines of the song:

"Pray God you can cope
 I stand outside this woman's work
 This woman's world
 Ooh, it's hard on the man
 Now his part is over
 Now starts the craft of the father"

When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
understand it completely!

                         judi

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/12/91)

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
>Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
>if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
>understand it completely!
>
>                         judi

You got it!  Actually, this song is particularly easy to understand,
at least for American fans, because we got a big hint.  The song first
appeared in the John Hughes movie "She's Having A Baby" back in early
1988, and many of us Kate fans rushed out to get the soundtrack for
that movie just for that song.  (Incidentally, the final version
on _The Sensual World_ is only slightly different from the SHAB
soundtrack.)

Anyway, the song comes in at this key moment in the movie:  The
wife (played by Elizabeth McGovern) has just gone into premature
labor, and doctors are trying to save her and her baby.  Meanwhile
the husband (played by Kevin Bacon) watches helplessly.  The song
is from the husband's point of view as he realizes he can't do
anything.

It's a beautiful scene.  Kate's music is the only sound -- no
distracting background noise.

Did I ever tell the net what happened when I saw that movie?  At the
time I was not in contact with any Kate fans (although just a few
months later I would see a copy of Homeground in London, and that
would change my Kate-fandom life forever), so I had no idea she
had written a song for an American movie, of all things!  I girl
asked if I'd like to go with her to a movie one night.  She wanted
to see SHAB.  Frankly, I didn't want to see it but I didn't have
anything else to do that evening.  I was paying attention to the
movie so I didn't notice immediately when the Kate song started.
About a minute into it, my jaw dropped.  "That's Kate Bush, singing!!!"
I said.

"Who?"  she asked.

I explained, then insisted that we wait to see the credits so I could
be sure.  Of course, it WAS Kate.

I really didn't think the movie was that great, but that one scene made
my month!  If anybody hasn't seen it yet, go out and rent it.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

martebf2@MENTOR.CC.PURDUE.EDU (brian) (04/12/91)

In <m0jRCZK-00014MC@coyote.datalog.com> judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) writes:

>  Also- as to the first few lines of the song:

>"Pray God you can cope
> I stand outside this woman's work
> This woman's world
> Ooh, it's hard on the man
> Now his part is over
> Now starts the craft of the father"

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
>Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
>if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
>understand it completely!

>                         judi
YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSS!

Sorry, I just couldn't believe the song when I first heard it.  I was watching
*She's having a baby*  and during the delivery scene when she is experiencing
some difficulty and her husband is not being allowed in.  He is forcibly
removed from the scene by a nurse.  I was moved to tears by this juxtaposition
of the movie and this song by possibly one of the greatest lyricist/musicians
of all time.  I just sat and thought about the situation and compared my own
possible life experiences.  My wife and I have never had any children and
now I see the event in a manner not heretofore experienced.
I could babble on and on so I'll stop right here.
Just bloody brilliant...
And the *goddess*, I love it...
Great, fantastic, super, *WOW*...

--
   Yours faithfully,    *     "Do something you hate, being    *
Brian Marten (martebf2) * miserable builds character"  -CALVIN *

In article <9104120218.AA14648@das.llnl.gov> I wrote:
>You got it!  Actually, this song is particularly easy to understand,
>at least for American fans, because we got a big hint.

I forgot to explain WHY this song is was easier to understand
for American fans than British fans.  The movie She's Having
A Baby wasn't released in Britain for a long time.  In fact,
I'm not sure that it was EVER released there, except possibly
straight onto video.  At least, the Homeground people kept
telling me that that the release date for that movie was being
put off for one reason or another.  This must have been HELL
to British Kate fans, since I doubt the soundtrack album would
be released for an unreleased movie.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (04/12/91)

Judi, our most proflific new poster, writes:

[wrt whether TWW's video is from the man or woman's point of view]

Um.  I dunno.  I've only watched it two or three times (one of the big problems
of not having my own VCR).  To me, it's from the man's point of view--we
experience the man's anguish at watching his loved one collapse, and then
trying to cope with the waiting-room experience.  Perhaps there's a hint of
"Hello Earth" in here--he's just "floating" there in the waiting room, then
he relives the experience that brought him to that point.  But I digress...

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?

Bingo!  "This Woman's Work" actually dates from 1988 (or is it '87?  '88 I
think).  It was written for the soundtrack of the John Hughes movie _She's
Having A Baby_ (Kevin Bacon and I don't recall whom else).  The song was
written for...you guessed it!...the sequence during which Kevin Bacon is
in the waiting room and his wife is in the delivery room--he's reliving
their life together through a series of flashbacks, scared to death that
something will happen to her during childbirth.  To be honest, I like the
sequence in the film a *lot* better than the video.  It's stunning.

Sigh.  Looks like it's time to pull out TSW and put on "This Woman's Work."

Jeff
(signing off before he starts bawling)
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) (04/13/91)

  Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions concerning "This
Woman's Work". The feedback was overwhelming! It makes so much more sense
now that it's been explained to me.
  Actually, I'd heard rumors that "She's Having A Baby" was a pretty lousy
movie, but since you've all said that the scenes/song combination is so
good, I guess I'll have to give it a try.....

  By the way- yes, I realize I've been HORRIBLY prolific lately in
posting to this group. But, there's so incredibly much I still don't know
yet about KaTe and all her doings, and asking tons of questions is the best
way for me to learn..... So, bear with me, folks!

                           judi

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (04/13/91)

From article <m0jRXFh-00014KC@coyote.datalog.com>, by judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan):

>   Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions concerning "This
> Woman's Work". The feedback was overwhelming! It makes so much more sense
> now that it's been explained to me.
>   Actually, I'd heard rumors that "She's Having A Baby" was a pretty lousy
> movie, but since you've all said that the scenes/song combination is so
> good, I guess I'll have to give it a try.....

Actually I quite enjoyed it.  It had its flaws but it also had its
moments.  The wedding vows, the dream girl and the "Promise you won't
get mad?..." sequences are all very memorable and of course the climax
is one of the greatest tear jerkers in movie history.  That's largely
due to Kate's contribution but I'd also have to say it's a darn fine
piece of movie making.

I'd say this is a "must-see" for all newlyweds. :-)

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

jebossom@cognos.UUCP (John E. Bossom) (04/14/91)

In article <9104120218.AA14648@das.llnl.gov> ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
>Anyway, the song comes in at this key moment in the movie:  The
>wife (played by Elizabeth McGovern) has just gone into premature
>labor, and doctors are trying to save her and her baby.  Meanwhile
>the husband (played by Kevin Bacon) watches helplessly.  The song
>is from the husband's point of view as he realizes he can't do
>anything.

Bzzzzzzzzz..... close BUT, it wasn't a premature birth, it was a breach
birth (breach births ran in the family, as her mother pointed
out earlier in the movie).

>... I explained, then insisted that we wait to see the credits so I could
>be sure.  Of course, it WAS Kate.

You mean - GASP - you weren't sure?!?!?  How could a Kate fan not know ;^)?

--
John E. Bossom                                           Cognos Incorporated
Voice: (613) 738-1338 x6113                  O_o         P.O. Box 9707

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/17/91)

In article <9530@cognos.UUCP> you write:

>In article <9104120218.AA14648@das.llnl.gov> ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
>>Anyway, the song comes in at this key moment in the movie:  The
>>wife (played by Elizabeth McGovern) has just gone into premature
>>labor, and doctors are trying to save her and her baby.  Meanwhile
>>the husband (played by Kevin Bacon) watches helplessly.  The song
>>is from the husband's point of view as he realizes he can't do
>>anything.
>
>Bzzzzzzzzz..... close BUT, it wasn't a premature birth, it was a breach
>birth (breach births ran in the family, as her mother pointed
>out earlier in the movie).

It's been over three years since I've seen this movie, so I'm sure
you are right.

>>... I explained, then insisted that we wait to see the credits so I could
>>be sure.  Of course, it WAS Kate.
>
>You mean - GASP - you weren't sure?!?!?  How could a Kate fan not know ;^)?
>
>John E. Bossom                                           Cognos Incorporated

Well, of course I was sure.  I just wanted to see her name on the
big screen ! :-)

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov