[rec.music.gaffa] Milgram's 37

TREADWAY@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (04/12/91)

From: treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Milgram's 37
Date: 11 Apr 91 22:56:32 EDT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to rec.music.gaffa

About Milgram's 37:  It is actually a home-made alcoholic beverage.
Just kidding...Honestly, Milgram was an experimental psychologists that
persuaded 37 subjects to painfully, even lethally, shock strangers - an
electric chair type set-up.  He was basically studying the obedience of humans
to authority figures.  Needless to say, this experiment was the basis of many
ethics in research discussions.
				Have fun, Joel

treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (04/12/91)

nehaniv@oreo.berkeley.edu (Chrystopher Lev Nehaniv) (04/12/91)

In article <D8F746ABC02028C2@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU> TREADWAY@MPS.OHIO-STATE.EDU writes:
>Subject: Milgram's 37
>
>About Milgram's 37:  It is actually a home-made alcoholic beverage.
>Just kidding...Honestly, Milgram was an experimental psychologists that
>persuaded 37 subjects to painfully, even lethally, shock strangers - an
>electric chair type set-up.  He was basically studying the obedience of humans
>to authority figures.  Needless to say, this experiment was the basis of many
>ethics in research discussions.
>				Have fun, Joel
Actually the `shocked' strangers weren't being shocked, but were
actors acting shocked. The ethics brouhaha was about deception of
the subjects and their being made to do something apparently immoral.

		     -X

--
C.L. Nehaniv  (nehaniv@math.berkeley.edu)  |   " Things fall apart.
Dept. of Mathematics                       |        It's scientific."

dnb@MESHUGGE.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (David N. Blank) (04/13/91)

So as not to be misleading:

From: treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu:
>  Just kidding...Honestly, Milgram was an experimental psychologists
> that persuaded 37 subjects to painfully, even lethally, shock
> strangers - an electric chair type set-up.  He was basically studying
> the obedience of humans

...doesn't really describe do the experiment justice.  To the best of my
recollection, Milgram set up an experiment which consisted of the
following situation:
   A subject is told that he is to teach the person in the adjacent
booth (an actor hired by Milgram) something.  I believe that the test
subject saw the actor through one-way glass. The subject has available
a mechanism to deliver a variable (by the subject) electric shock to
the actor as punishment to provide a reward/punishment incentive for
learning.  The subject is knowledgable of the amount of current
required to do physical damage to the actor.  He/she does *not* know
that a) the person he/she is trying to teach is an actor and b) the
electric shocks supposedly delivered by the shock mechanism are fake
(and acted out by Milgram's actor).

The actors were then told to occasionally be unreceptive.  Milgram
found (disturbingly enough) that subjects were willing to crank the
punishment device up to lethal levels (even when they saw the actors
writhing in pain).  The ethics discussions you mentioned came about
not because of the results of the test, but because the subjects were
not informed of all of the experiment's facets.
          Peace,
            dNb

stevev@GREYLADY.UOREGON.EDU (Steve VanDevender) (04/17/91)

Joel (Treadway?) (treadway@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu) writes:

>P.S.  I still hold that Milgram's 37 is an alcoholic beverage - or at least
>it should be.

I can see it now--"Milgram's 37: The drink for when you want
someone else to be responsible for your actions."

I'm getting more and more inclined to get _This Woman's Work_.  A
local record store can get the Japanese box set for about $170,
which appears to be competitive.  And I know that it would take
me far more time and money to find find all those B-sides.

I sent off for _Rhodes Vols. I and II_ last weekend, and said
that Vickie and the Love-Hounds sent me.  I'm quite curious to
get the tapes--from everyone's enthusiastic descriptions, it
sounds like the sort of new music I could use in my life.

Laurie Anderson appeared in Eugene Monday night, and it was
really fascinating.  I wish I had gotten the chance to see the
Strange Angels tour, since Laurie basically just talked for two
hours, sang a couple of short simple songs, and showed a couple
of video pieces she'd done, so it wasn't quite as musical as many
people I know were expecting.  However, she is a fascinating and
entertaining speaker.

jondr@sco.COM (A Huge Ever-Growing Pulsating Brain) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr12.112807.5289@agate.berkeley.edu> nehaniv@oreo.berkeley.edu (Chrystopher Lev Nehaniv) writes:
>Actually the `shocked' strangers weren't being shocked, but were
>actors acting shocked. The ethics brouhaha was about deception of
>the subjects and their being made to do something apparently immoral.

Of course, that was only the entire point of the experiment.  Some
people just don't get it, do they?

If it hasn't already been mentioned, Milgram himself wrote a book on
the experiment called Obedience To Authority.  I recommend it heartily.

There is also a film that they showed us in Legal Studies that dealt
with this experiment, although I don't know how you could get a copy
of it if you're not in school.

jon drukman                 jondr@sco.com       always note the sequencer:
sco docland wage slave      uunet!sco!jondr     this will never let us down