[rec.music.gaffa] Another version of "Be kind to my mistakes?"

tlhouns@ns.PacBell.COM (Lee Hounshell) (04/19/91)

I was browsing the local CD store the other day and noticed a "compilation"
disk titled "16 songs for a really cheap price."  The thing that caught my
eye about this disk is that the 1st song is "Be Kind to my Mistakes" by
KaTe!!  Next to the song's title were the words "(Not the Album Version)."
Is there another (different) version of this song?  Does anyone have the
album (or song) I'm talking about and is it worth buying?  Let me know,

Lee Hounshell

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/20/91)

>I was browsing the local CD store the other day and noticed a "compilation"
>disk titled "16 songs for a really cheap price."  The thing that caught my
>eye about this disk is that the 1st song is "Be Kind to my Mistakes" by
>KaTe!!  Next to the song's title were the words "(Not the Album Version)."
>Is there another (different) version of this song?  Does anyone have the
>album (or song) I'm talking about and is it worth buying?  Let me know,
>
>Lee Hounshell

There is NO "album" version of "Be Kind To My Mistakes", at least
from CBS's point of view.  This compilation (called _Theodore_, by
the way) contains the same version of that song that is on _Aspects
of the Sensual World_, and the British "This Woman's Work" CD single.

The song was originally from the movie "Castaway", and a longer version
of this song (some would say the REAL version) exists only on the
soundtrack for this movie.  Unfortunately, the soundtrack is extremely
difficult to find -- it was never released in America, and even in
Britain it is fairly rare.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.150100.11268@PacBell.COM> tlhouns@ns.PacBell.COM (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>I was browsing the local CD store the other day and noticed a "compilation"
>disk titled "16 songs for a really cheap price."  The thing that caught my
>eye about this disk is that the 1st song is "Be Kind to my Mistakes" by
>KaTe!!  Next to the song's title were the words "(Not the Album Version)."
>Is there another (different) version of this song?  Does anyone have the
>album (or song) I'm talking about and is it worth buying?  Let me know,
>
>Lee Hounshell

This would be "theodore: an alternative music sampler".  It has as the first
song, "Be Kind To My Mistakes" by Kate Bush (NON-ALBUM CUT).  Since I only
have two of Kate's albums, I couldn't say if this version is any different
from any other version she has recorded.  In any event, the album is quite
good for the price ($7) so I heartily recommended it.  Along with Kate, you get
the likes of Public Enemy (quite a contrast from Kate, eh?), B.A.D., Shawn
Colvin, Indigo Girls, Living Colour, Poi Dog Pondering, Toad The Wet
Sprocket, and a bunch of other groups from the Columbia/Epic stable.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: FWB [] CompuServe: 71320,1034
FWB, Inc.                 |  Voice: (415)474-8055 [] FAX: (415)775-2225

jondr@sco.COM (King Hell Wombat) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.150100.11268@PacBell.COM> tlhouns@ns.PacBell.COM (Lee Hounshell) writes:
>I was browsing the local CD store the other day and noticed a "compilation"
>disk titled "16 songs for a really cheap price."  The thing that caught my
>eye about this disk is that the 1st song is "Be Kind to my Mistakes" by
>KaTe!!  Next to the song's title were the words "(Not the Album Version)."
>Is there another (different) version of this song?  Does anyone have the
>album (or song) I'm talking about and is it worth buying?  Let me know,

There are, in fact, two versions of Be Kind To My Mistakes.  HOWEVER,
the really good version is ONLY available on the soundtrack to the
movie "Castaway."  Every other time this song has been issued, it has
been in what some clever L-H termed the Reader's Digest Abridged
Version.  This version is truly annoying, if you know the original,
because it takes out most of the intro/outro/bridging material and
otherwise castrates an amazingly wonderful song.  I don't know what
prompted Kate (or whoever) to do this - after all, if "I'm Still
Waiting" can run 4.5 minutes, why can't "Mistakes," which is a far far
superior song?

Anyway, the compilation you were looking at is called THEODORE and it
has the lame-o short version of BKTMM.  Save your money and try to
find the Castaway soundtrack instead.

(Sorry to rant, but I really really really loved this song until it
was butchered.  This is probably the one and only issue that Chris &
Vickie (TM)(R)(C)(P) agree with me on.)

--
jon drukman                 jondr@sco.com       always note the sequencer:
sco docland wage slave      uunet!sco!jondr     this will never let us down