[rec.music.gaffa] The Residents

s_fungus@kk4fs.UUCP (Slender Fungus) (03/14/91)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but can anyone recommend a
good starting place to sample stuff by the Residents?
I've heard an excerpt from their "Heaven?" disk...
I've heard a lot about them, but not much from them...
A friend said that a guy asked him to play his weirdest music, and he picked
the Residents...

Speaking of weird music, has anyone heard the new BONGWATER album?  I got a
recording of "Double Bummer" and can't get enough of it...

whatever.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@                                              _     _       _   _  _  @
@                                             /_ |  |_ |\ | | \ |_ |_> @
@   "Sandra's having her brain out...         _/ |_ |_ | \| |_/ |_ | \ @
@    Brenda's having her heart washed...       _           _       _   @
@    Norman's having his soul dry-cleaned"    |_ | | |\ | /   | | /_   @
@                 --- the Soft Boys           |  |_| | \| \_> |_| _/   @
@                                                                      @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

jeffy@LEWHOOSH.UMD.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) (03/14/91)

Slender Fungus asks:
>I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but can anyone recommend a
>good starting place to sample stuff by the Residents?

I'm kinda mixed on The Residents; some of it just gets a bit too weird for
me.  I got a lot more into them when I saw their Cube-E (The History of
American Music in 3-E-Z Pieces) show in Chicago last November.  Performence-
Art-From-Hell.

Of the stuff I've heard,  _Cube-E Live in Holland_ is my favorite.  _Duckstab_
is also quite good (if you like They Might Be Giant's "Istanbul (not Constan-
tinople)" it's fun to hear the original "Constantinople").  _The King and Eye_
is good, but ~17 Elvis covers gets to be too much in one sitting (which
is one of the nice things about Cube-E:  you get an abbreviated set of
twisted Elvis covers).

I haven't heard either of them, but I keep hearing that _Third Reich and
Roll_ and, oh, I can't remember the combo but it's one of the American
Composer's series--I think it's Hank Williams and J.P. Sousa.

Jeff
(who drove four+ hours to Chicago to see them at the Riviera and miraculously
arrived at just the right time to get front row seats)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |

lemiller@hobbes.ncsu.EDU (Lynne Miller) (03/19/91)

bongwater: breaking no new ground/shimmy002 (first ep)
           double bummer         /shimmy011

both of the above can be found in a double cd package with about 4 bonus
tracks.. well worth owning.

           too much sleep        /shimmy031
           the power of pussy    /shimmy040

that is the new one.. excellent. word of advice, current run of vinyl seems
to be defective on side one to varying degrees.. probably will be better
to wait for the cd in another few weeks.. shimmydisc cd's are made in europe
so there is a lag time between vinyl and cd release.. also, cd's contain
extra tracks.

if you enjoy bongwater, you may want to sample dogbowl.. great band..
very whimsical.
first album.. t i t ! an opera   /shimmy023
also.. new release due out any day...
    nuclear cyclops submarine captain  /shimmy043

for those of you looking for shockabilly's vietnam and heaven albums.. their
masterpieces before the band broke up, ... /shimmy026 cd and casette only

also oon current release is a great 're-do' of the rutles album.. rutles
highway revisited    /shimmy041.. all the songs were done by different
artists who pass thru the doors of noise new york, and is a great sampler
of what the different bands sound like.

sorry for taking up so much space on the topic, but shimmy is a great label
to look to for the weird, unusual, inventive.. kramer is on a roll and the
production is excellent, the music loud, and oftentimes incredibly beautiful.

matt@coplex.UUCP (Matthew Danak) (04/19/91)

Does anyone know any background info about The Residents?  If so, please post.

						Thanks, Matt
--
Matt Danak
matt@coplex.uucp

petro@cs.uwindsor.ca (David Petro) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.213407.13255@coplex.uucp>, matt@coplex.UUCP (Matthew
 Danak) writes:
> Does anyone know any background info about The Residents?  If so, please post.
>
> 						Thanks, Matt
> --
> Matt Danak
> matt@coplex.uucp

Well the Residents have been around for quit some time and as far as I know
thye're identities are not publicly known (thogh on one of they're albums
there is a picture of four guys on the cover but not them)

When  they play live they wear costumes ( at first they would just wear a big
eye over thy're heads until one got stolen). Check out they're appearance on
NIGHT MUSIC.

They're music is mostly experimental electronic and computer generated stuff
that you'll either love or hate depending on the song. They claim it's because
they have no musical training and it was the easiest type of music to make.

They have quite afew albums. My three favourites are:

The Commercial Album --- about 40 1 min. songs (fav:Moisture)
...Play John Philip Sousza & Hank Willaims --- just what it says (fav:
                                               Kawliga - uses baseline
                                               from Billie Jean)
The King and I----about 15-20 Elvis Presley covers

Don't get the idea that there a cover band though, but when they do cover
something it's usually quit good.

I can't remember the record label they're on off the top of my head. Try
Ryco for some.

hope this has been usefull.

PETRO --"Lionel Richie lives!!!! but not here"

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (04/21/91)

Petro writes

>They're music is mostly experimental electronic and computer generated stuff
>that you'll either love or hate depending on the song. They claim it's because
>they have no musical training and it was the easiest type of music to make.

The type of music depends a lot on the album, though it all classifies
as experimental.  For instance, the _Duckstab_ CD contains a bunch of tracks
from an EP (can't recall the name of it) of Residents-style nursery rhymes
(including "Old MacDonald" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star") on which
all of the "instruments" were purchased at Toys R Us.

>They have quite afew albums.

(a bit of an understatement; I believe they have released more than 20
albums since their first release "Meet The Residents" in '72 (I think))

>My three favourites are:
>The Commercial Album --- about 40 1 min. songs (fav:Moisture)

This album features lots of guest artists, many of whom aren't credited.
The only one I can think of off hand is Andy Partridge of XTC.

>...Play John Philip Sousza & Hank Willaims --- just what it says (fav:
>                                               Kawliga - uses baseline
>                                               from Billie Jean)

This is actually "American Composers Volume II:  Stars and Hank Forever."
There is also a Volume I, "George and James" with George Gershwin tunes on
one side and James Brown on the other.

>I can't remember the record label they're on off the top of my head. Try
>Ryco for some.

A bunch of their stuff is on Ryco.  Sometime before _The King and Eye_
they were signed to Enigma, which also released their latest (and my
personal favorite) album, _Cube-E, Live in Holland (the history of American
Music in three e-z pieces)_.

I got to see The Residents perform Cube-E last November in Chicago.  It
was beyond words, but the best I can do is "performance-art-from-hell".
The album details the history of american music, starting with cowboy-folky
stuff (I don't want to classify it as country/western, 'cause it wasn't
really c/w as we know it now), moving to soul/blues, and then into Elvis,
who is eventually killed by the British Invasion.  It's an incredible
piece.

_Cube-E_ includes quite a few Elvis covers, much as they appear on _The King
and Eye_.  I personally find that _The King and Eye_ gets a bit tedious,
just because there are so bloody many covers.

Anyway...

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

jpyburn@maestro.mitre.ORG (John Pyburn) (04/23/91)

1) The Residents have their own label, Ralph Records.

2) It appears that they have numerous guests on many LPs. I talked to
Penn Gillette (sp?) at the intermission of a Penn and Teller show
here in D.C. and he talked about playing on a couple of their songs.
When asked who else he knew of to play with them, he responded "You
wouldn't believe me." For what it's worth.....

3) Try "Third Reich'n'Roll".

4) Great group. Really enjoy the threads !

ieb4826@SUMMA.TAMU.EDU (I.E. Bou-saada) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.135137.20487@linus.mitre.org>, jpyburn@maestro.mitre.ORG (John Pyburn) writes...
?1) The Residents have their own label, Ralph Records.
?
?2) It appears that they have numerous guests on many LPs. I talked to
?Penn Gillette (sp?) at the intermission of a Penn and Teller show
?here in D.C. and he talked about playing on a couple of their songs.
?When asked who else he knew of to play with them, he responded "You
?wouldn't believe me." For what it's worth.....
?
?3) Try "Third Reich'n'Roll".
?
?4) Great group. Really enjoy the threads !

Do any of you know if THE MOLE SHOW by the Residents is available on Video.  I
saw it long ago on Night-Flight (what ever happened to it?) and I finally found
the cd but have yet to find the video.  Any clues?

BTW Their Commercial Album is great.  Its a bunch of 1 minute long songs...

                             Startled Squid
                         (ieb4826@zeus.tamu.edu)