[rec.music.gaffa] Jane Siberry

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: Marq Laube <marq@apple.com>

I just read someone's message that mentioned Jane Siberry's new album, Bound by
the Beauty.  I have to admit, I like Jane's music as much as Kate's (but it goes
down quickly after that), so you can imagine my chagrin when I found out Janes
new album is (vaguely) Country Western!

However, as a devoted Jane listener, I tried listening again and again (while I
might add, choking back tears) and the most amazing thing happened.  The Country
Western parts started to disappear and the full force of Jane's amazing talent
started to shine through.  It is an excellent album, and I highly recommend it.

I don't think that it will ever replace her greatest moments -- Vladimir,
Vladimir;  Mein Bitte;  The Taxi Ride;  The White Tent The Raft;  The Walking --
 but it is still worth trying.   If any of you Kate fans haven't tried Jane yet,
you should do so!  Start with The Speckless Sky and The Walking.

Finally, if anyone knows anything about Jane's pre-No Borders Here album, please
let me know whatever you know--what it's like, where to get it, etc.

Thanks!

-Marq

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)

In article <8910092155.AA08326@apple.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Marq Laube <marq@apple.com>
>
>I just read someone's message that mentioned Jane Siberry's new album, Bound by
>the Beauty.  I have to admit, I like Jane's music as much as Kate's (but it goes
>down quickly after that), so you can imagine my chagrin when I found out Janes
>new album is (vaguely) Country Western!
>
>However, as a devoted Jane listener, I tried listening again and again (while I
>might add, choking back tears) and the most amazing thing happened.  The Country
>Western parts started to disappear and the full force of Jane's amazing talent
>started to shine through.  It is an excellent album, and I highly recommend it.
That exact phenomenon happened to me when I bought the new album (on CD, no
less).  Brought the sucker home, cranked it up, and heard "Country?!"  But
after a couple more listens I discovered that (1) Only side 1 has "Country"
style-music on it, and (2) there's a lot of subtelties in the style that
actually make it a little different than your generic "country" song.  For
instance, on one cut in the refrain the rhythm goes briefly into 5/4 time
(one of her "devices"), and some of the harmony gets a little weird, not
to mention the lyric structure (or lack of it in some cases).

What I want to know is what the heck is going on in her life that she
suddenly puts out a "gosh, isn't life great" album after the very angry
and disallusioned compositions in _The Walking_.  Any clues?

  - Eo
    (donley@blake.acs.washington.edu)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/11/89)

Really-From: Yong-Mi Kim <kimy@cs.unc.edu>

I noticed two unfamiliar (to me) Jane Siberry at my local Record Bar.
One of them was dated 1981, and the other one did not have a
copyright date.  I did not get them since they were both priced
$8.98.  For that money I want something that will last me longer
than a tape.  I'll try to find out the titles

	      it takes forever if you go by inertia
	      no time if you don't believe in time
		    Jane Siberry  "The Very Large Hat"
yong-mi kim                                     kimy@cs.unc.edu

kimy@unc.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim) (10/11/89)

Sky_?  If it is, I too would be angry and disillusioned - _The Speckless
Sky_ was supposed to be the album that would have made her a big star.
Obviously it didn't.
Just heard her new album on the radio.  My favourite one in there is
"The Life is the Red Wagon."  Anybody else has pondered about the
fact that Jane often mentions means of transportation in her songs?
My favourite song from _TSS_ is "The Taxi Ride".  Plus she has a song
in her latest entitled "Something about trains".

As an aside, "Are We Dancing Now (Map III)," the last song in the album,
sounds so much like a song a Brazilian singer called Rita Lee did
several years ago that I would almost cry plagiarism except I doubt that
Jane would have ever heard it.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/12/89)

Really-From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>

In article <8910102133.AA22315@apple.com> Marq Laube wrote:

>Second, my housemate and I discussed tha strange country twist esp.
>when compared to _The_Walking_ .

In Toronto, roots country is hip on the Queen Street rock club scene.
Our favourite Albertan, k.d. lang came out of that scene, as well as
Lori Yates (she records for CBS out of Nashvill now; another country
punk sold out, like k.d.).

When I was up there at the end of June, street vendors were selling
tie-dye shirts to punkers in black leather and frayed denims; the
background music blaring away was vintage Johnny Cash.

The Toronto music scene is (and has been) very interesting, and is
still roundly ignored by the American rock media.  (There was a hint
of it in Rolling Stone's Summer issue, listing what the Cowboy Junkies
liked to do on summer weekends.)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare				"No matter where you go,
> gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.EDU 		 there you are!
> gld@cunixc.BITNET				-- Buckaroo Banzai

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/22/89)

Really-From: hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui)

The very last song in the three song encore performed in the 1988 Ottawa
concert was from Siberry's debut album. This concert was in the National
Arts Centre Opera.

I only recently found out about rec.music.gaffa. I had tried to stir up
some interest in JS's music in music.misc, thinking all the JS fans in
Netland was dormant.

With the latest album BBtB I noticed that some songs were of a
traditional genre, with quite a few genres represented in the whole
album. This is a departure from previous albums, where the JS sound was
very unique, and dominant.

My favorite from "bound by the beauty" is "the valley", "the life is the
red wagon", and "la jalouse".

ccsiob@gdr.bath.ac.UK (Ian O'Brien) (11/03/89)

This is a posting for a friend with no net access. All replies
by e-mail to him please.

Message from ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk follows... (ee8kh@uk.ac.bath.gdt in UK)
---
This is my first posting to the news, so forgive me if i seem to go on a
bit.
I don't usually have the ability to send mail off-campus so i want to make
the most of this chance.

The main reason I am posting is that I was lucky enough to get a chance to
see Jane Siberry in concert last night, at Moles nightclub in Bath, England
Having never heard any of her songs before I wasn't quite sure what to
expect but I'm happy to say that I was very impressed. Impressed enough to
ask her manager if I could do an interview after the show.

Not to my surprise he said no, she was too busy, having to rush off to
Brighton straight away, but then to my great surprise he gave me a
telephone number and told me that i could do a phone interview with her if
I wanted. After a bit more of a chat he then said that if I could make it
to one of her shows in London during this week he would guarantee me an
interview. Of course, I said I'd be there.

Now comes my problem, I don't have a clue what to ask. I have never heard
any of her music apart from last night, and hopefully the new album which I
bought today (I'm praying somebody will record it for me - my CD's bust)
So I thought I'd turn to this group for help, after all I only went to the
show in the first place because of your enthusiasm. So tell me, what do you
want to know ?

I need a lot of questions and a lot of background information AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE , by Friday at the latest. Please send me any information you have
about her work, previous interviews, reviews, questions etc.

I'm counting on this group to help prevent me from wasting a great
opportunity and from showing myself up completely.

I'll try to post a review of the London gig to the news, hopefully I'll be
able to get mail out, and of course, a transcript of the interview.
I haven't got time to review last night's show properly, but I'll jus say a
few words:-

Jane didn't get off to a great start, after 2-3 songs quite a few of the
200-odd audience were beginning to wonder why they'd came. Myself included.
I moved from my place right at the front, beside the stage back towards the
bar. However her fourth song was a definite improvement, I think she
realised that the crowd didn't know what to expect and were hoping for
something a little faster and 'heavier'. I don't know the name of the song,
but it included the word 'fucking' quite a bit, which seemed to bring the
crowd onto her side a bit more. (Does she swear on the records ?) At that point the atmosphere began to improve, the crowd were getting more interested in what she had to say, and people began pushing forwards again.

Her rendition of 'Everything reminds me of my dog' went down very well and
from then on the concert really took off. I managed to get back to about
the third row, but it was difficult to do, the audience were quite into
this by then.

Sorry I can't be more detailed about the songs, but I don't know any of
them!

A few other points, Jane complained that she couldn't hear herself on the
monitors, and also that she sounded a bit dull. After the gig, she told me
"It's hell out there !" (Did I forget to mention I talked to her ?)
A fair comment, it wasn't exactly her kind of audience.

When I did talk to her for a minute (thanks to her manager - a great bloke)
she seemed just as confused as I was, which was very lucky for me.

Anyway, I've said enough (or more than enough) so I'll finish now.

Please send me anything that may be of any interest or use to me

Kevin House

P.S. I'm going to the show on either Friday or Saturday, please hurry with
replies, direct to me if possible. Re-hashes of r.m.g. articles will also
be useful, since i tended to skip these at the time.   :-(
                         _____
                        /  /  ) ___  __   ' ___  ___
                       /  /  / /  / /  ) / /  / /        ee8kh@uk.ac.bath.gdt
______________________/  /  / (__( /  ( ( (__( (__.__________________________
               If I could think of a witty line, I'd use one
--
Ian O'Brien                                 Bath University Confusing Services
                                ccsiob@uk.ac.bath.gdr or ccsiob@gdr.bath.ac.uk

bilbo@pentagon.eng.ohio-state.EDU (William Stoner) (11/03/89)

Hi,

	Awhile back someone suggested giving Jane a try and I did.
Going on thier suggestion I went out and got 'The Speckless Sky',
it took a couple listens but then I was hooked.  A few days later I
got 'Bound...' it too took a few listens but now I can't stop listening.

	Anyway I was wondering if she's going to tour in the states, or
has she already ( I assume BBTB has been out for a bit? ).  Well, next
best are there any videos out there?  Live stuff?  What's she like live
anyway?

	Also I'd like a discography (with catalog #s if possible)too,
the only albums I've seen are TSS, BBTB, TW, there is at least one more
right?  (Whereis 'Map I'?)  How do her other albums compare to TSS and
BBTB (as far as style).

On a KaTe kind of note I still haven't heard the whole album yet, but
what of what i have heard of it...well I wanna say I'm dissapointed
but as i think about it I haven't heard enough of it.  Walk straight
down the Middle sends shivers though.

The new Fish is quite exciting, very different musically.  Though it
seemed to me as though Fish's voice was restrained abit, maybe the rest
of the album will be more forceful.  It will definately be  awsome live
(of course I'll probably never experience it :-(  )

Thanks for the info....

			Bilbo
-=-
"It takes forever if you go by inertia,		    |  William H. Stoner III
	no time if you don't believe, 		    |  Systems Operator OSU CIS
		don't believe in time."             |  bilbo@cis.ohio-state.edu
	-JANE SIBERRY  "The Very Large Hat"	    |

bloch%mandrill@UCSD.EDU (Steve Bloch) (11/05/89)

<bilbo@riker.eng.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>	Anyway I was wondering if she's going to tour in the states, or
>has she already ( I assume BBTB has been out for a bit? ).  Well, next
>best are there any videos out there?  Live stuff?  What's she like live
>anyway?
As somebody else posted, she's currently touring in the UK.  I saw her
in a small night club (c. 50 audience) two years ago on the
"the walking" tour.  A sorta largish band, with two or three backup
singers (apparently chosen for vocal qualities that match Jane's) and
three or four other instrumentalists, and I think there was somebody
hiding on the side of the stage with a Mac doing all the MIDI effects
switching.  No fancy dancing about or mime, but a few of the songs
started with an empty stage or everybody frozen, and had performers
walk on/activate one at a time.  She put a few explanatory notes in
between the songs, and added considerably to the monologue in "Mimi on
the Beach".  Having memorized all her albums, I didn't have any strong
reactions to the live show, but my roommate (whom I'd begged to give
me a ride) spent most of the next forty-eight hours lying on his
back in the middle of the living-room floor listening to her.

>	Also I'd like a discography (with catalog #s if possible)too,
>the only albums I've seen are TSS, BBTB, TW, there is at least one more
>right?  (Whereis 'Map I'?)  How do her other albums compare to TSS and
>BBTB (as far as style).
You're missing two albums (that I know of): _No_Borders_Here_, which
precedes TSS (OA-0302), and _Jane_Siberry_ (SR-002), which precedes NBH.
In most moods I consider NBH her best, with JS and TSS tied for second.
OA stands for Open Air, the same Windham Hill (!) subsidiary that holds
TSS, while SR refers to Street Records: 136 Roxborough St. W. Toronto,
Canada M5R 1V1 (416) 923-7484.
As for comparing these with TSS and BTBB, read my review of BTBB
backwards.  The debut album is largely acoustic guitar and voice, as
befits a budding, impoverished musician.  When trying to describe Jane
in a few words, I usually say "Think Kate Bush with more humor."
Oh, and "Map I" is actually entitled "Map of the World" and is on
NBH.

"Writers are a funny breed -- I should know." -- Jane Siberry

bloch%cs@ucsd.edu

tynor%prism@GATECH.EDU (Steve Tynor) (11/07/89)

In article <7377@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) writes:
>You're missing two albums (that I know of): _No_Borders_Here_, which
>precedes TSS (OA-0302), and _Jane_Siberry_ (SR-002), which precedes NBH.
>In most moods I consider NBH her best, with JS and TSS tied for second.
>OA stands for Open Air, the same Windham Hill (!) subsidiary that holds

I'm glad someone has mentioned NBH (there's been a lot of recent Jane postings
and most seem to imply that The Walking is her best (I have it, but never
listen too it - I find it quite boring). NBH is definitely my fave Jane. Not
one bad tune - and those twisted lyrics!

I turned on to Jane back when NBH was released ('84?) after looking at the
liner notes and noticing that she used a Fairlight...

Virtue is its own punishment.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    Artificial Intelligence Branch
    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

adams@BOSCO.BERKELEY.EDU (Jeffrey P. Adams) (11/07/89)

>>In most moods I consider NBH her best, with JS and TSS tied for second.
>
>I'm glad someone has mentioned NBH (there's been a lot of recent Jane postings
>and most seem to imply that The Walking is her best (I have it, but never
>listen too it - I find it quite boring). NBH is definitely my fave Jane. Not
>one bad tune - and those twisted lyrics!

Speaking of twisted lyrics on NBH, can anyone help me decipher
the pseudo-title track, Dancing Class?  What's this business
with Berlin (& the German girl) and being 200 years old, and
what do politics and dancing have to do with each other?

I don't get it.

And does everyone agree that "Mimi on the Beach" is a more-or-
less religious call-to-repentance focusing on pride?  With the
"great Leveler" a reference to Christ?

          Jeff Adams                 adams@math.berkeley.edu

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (11/08/89)

In article <1989Nov6.201453.23803@agate.berkeley.edu> adams%bosco.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Jeffrey P. Adams) writes:
>Speaking of twisted lyrics on NBH, can anyone help me decipher
>the pseudo-title track, Dancing Class?  What's this business
>with Berlin (& the German girl) and being 200 years old, and
>what do politics and dancing have to do with each other?

I don't know where you got "politics" from since they're not in that
song anywhere that I can see.  (I am looking at the lyrics sheet right
now.) I guess the reference to "200 years old" means that Jane has
learned all she can learn about dancing (200 years worth of
experience, I guess) and that's why this is her last class.  Either
that or Jane is making a reference to a Skinny Puppy song called "200
Years" but I don't think so since it won't have been released for
another three years after NBH, but that's Our Jane for you.

The German girl is someone that Jane meets in the class, and she says
that she really likes how the German girl looks/moves and she wants to
follow her.  A more literal minded voice comes in and says "Follow
her?  Berlin is far away..."

>And does everyone agree that "Mimi on the Beach" is a more-or-
>less religious call-to-repentance focusing on pride?  With the
>"great Leveler" a reference to Christ?

Hell No!  It's just a stream of consciousness trip to the beach!  The
great leveler is the force that is going to flatten out all the
waves...   But, if we were to get literary about it (which a quick
glance at the end of the spoken bit tells me is necessary), the Great
Leveler is death.  This is why Jane asks "The great leveler or the
great escape??"

Where did you get these weird ideas from?  As Jane would say, the
arrangement's not quite... quite there.
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/08/89)

In article <1989Nov7.030009.9118@eddie.mit.edu> gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman) writes:
>Hell No!  It's just a stream of consciousness trip to the beach!  The
>great leveler is the force that is going to flatten out all the
>waves ...

Perhaps Jane is just referring to the way each person is gifted
a certain amount in each area, and that she, being gifted in music, may
come out equal to Mimi in the end. In fact, history has proven that
Jane has surpassed Mimi already. Mimi being, I presume, the
stereotypical beach bum with the perfect tan.

Michael M.Y. Hui  604-293-6011    hui@mprgate.mpr.ca

ddc1@jaguar.uofs.EDU (CAWLEY DAVE D) (04/21/91)

Hi!

Did anybody buy Jane's last album? I love her and saw her in Toronto at the end
of the Speckless Sky tour in 85(?).  I'm on a budget now, being married and
having a kid kind of crimps your album buying power, and want to know if it's
good before I shell out bucks for it.

All opinions considered.

					THANKS!!!
					   -dc

L-H@cup.portal.COM (04/23/91)

Dave D. Cawley asked:

>Did anybody buy Jane's last album?  I love her and..I'm on a budget now,
>...and want to know if it's good before I shell out bucks for it.

Yes, I bought it.  I love her, too.  _Bound By The Beauty_ is a must-have
for anyone who enjoys wonderful music.  What made Jane's last release all
the more gratifying was a relatively intensive promotion (and tour :-)
which included a very collectable VH-1 special on her.  Ed and I were
quick enough to get a table right at the front at Jane's appearance
in SF last year.  It was an unforgettable experience.  Kind of like
experiencing Jesus Herself.

the life is the red wagon.  simple and strong.

Larry (l-h@cup.portal.com)

ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K House) (04/24/91)

I'm sure some of you have noticed the mentions of Jane in rec.music.misc over
the last day or two. This reminded me to finally getting around to something

Can anybody over in the States or Canada get hold of all of Jane's CDs ?
I'll quite happily pay you in advance for them, but since they don't seem to
be available over here I think it is the only way I'll ever get them.
I seem to recall somebody once posting a mail-order address for a retailer.
This would do fine.
I should probably mention that I do actually own BBtB, and having seen Jane
three times in her five nights in England (Thanx Bob for the tickets  :-)
I want to get the rest. I figured it was about time I finally commited myself
to the expense.

Also, does anybody know what happened to the Siberry mailing list ?
Is it still alive ?
If so, could somebody please forward my address to the moderator
thanks

Kevin
--

"I hear the word for love, I hear the word for death,      ___
 But I don't hear any answers." - All About Eve           / / )__ __ ^__ __