[rec.music.gaffa] How To Make A CD

jondr@sco.COM ("Jonathan S. Drukman") (04/30/91)

In article <957778D360000139@sc.intel.com> AGOUGH%FAB6@SC.INTEL.COM (Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59) writes:
>I wonder how bootleggers can have CDs made.  I mean, it takes a lot of
>capital to build and equip a CD plant--maybe CD manufactures take small
>special orders and don't investigate exactly what music they're reproducing.

Bootleggers do NOT build their own CD plants.  Nor did they ever build
their own record pressing facilities back when vinyl was all the
rage.  If you really want your very own 80-minute compilation of Kate
on one CD, and are willing to shell out big bucks for it, do the following:

Rent a DAT machine, or (if you want to avoid the conversion fees) a
Sony U-Matic digital tape deck.

Play the Kate songs you want onto your DAT or U-Matic.  Note the SMPTE
indexes (hour, minute, second and frame) at which the tracks start and
end.

Prepare some camera ready copy.  You probably won't want to shell out
for more than a generic four-panel thing unless you've got MAJOR
dollars to produce a real booklet with.  On the other hand, you could
just go for a cardboard sleeve and skip the jewel box entirely.  I
don't know what the savings are, so I'll assume you went for the jewel
box option throughout this article.

Go to a CD pressing plant.  If you made a DAT master, tell them you
want it converted to Sony format.  They might do the SMPTE indexing
for you, but I don't know...  Give them your artwork and $3000.

Come back in a week.  You'll have 1000 copies of your new
masterpiece waiting.  Do not sell them, that's terribly illegal.  You
could give them to your friends for a small donation though.  You *DO*
have 1000 friends, right?

(In other words, you can get 1000 CDs made for about $3 each.  I don't
know of any places that will press less than 1000 at a time, but there
may be places which will charge less than $3 per disc.  There are, of
course, discounts for larger orders, which makes the $15 per disc
price of the latest Top 40 swill particularly odious, and the $22 per
disc price of the cool imports unbelievably nauseating.)

--
jon drukman                 jondr@sco.com       always note the sequencer:
sco docland wage slave      uunet!sco!jondr     this will never let us down

datta@vacs.uwp.EDU (David Datta) (04/30/91)

In article <16480@scorn.sco.COM> "Jonathan S. Drukman" <fscott!jondr@uunet.UU.NET> writes:

(HI JON!!!)

Jon describes how to make 1000 CDs, here is how to make ONE

If you want to avoid costs, record an RDAT digital cassette at 44.1 kHz.
Place start IDs at the beginning of each track
send it to someone with a Gotham Audio SPOT 90 CD-R recording system
(or similar).

a quote from United Audio Corporation:

Record CD from client's master tape (R-DAT)

	1 copy $195
	2-9 copies $160 each
	10-20 copies $120 each
	(from the same master tape)

	if you supply them with a 48kHz R-DAT, Reel to Reel or PCM-F1
	master tape, the R-DAT costs $12 for the sub master.

	If they add the start IDs, $35 more

	if they edit, $50/hr

Based on other quotes from various places, this is about average.

To do 1000 discs, it costs about $2500 for the pressing with full
color 4 page books.

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu. The dune lizard lifts it's feet so they
don't burn. This is it's life. Running in place and eating insects.

jondr@sco.COM ("Jonathan S. Drukman") (05/01/91)

In article <11571@uwm.edu> datta@vacs.uwp.edu (David Datta) writes:
>(HI JON!!!)

(HI DAVE!!!)

>Jon describes how to make 1000 CDs, here is how to make ONE

Excellent information there.  I'm rather puzzled at why anybody would
spend $2400 on 20 discs when they can get 1000 for $2500.

>If you want to avoid costs, record an RDAT digital cassette at 44.1 kHz.

Is this generally the accepted standard now?  I thought the Sony
PCM-F1 format was the preferred one.

--

datta@vacs.uwp.EDU (David Datta) (05/01/91)

In article <16520@scorn.sco.COM> "Jonathan S. Drukman" <fscott!jondr@uunet.UU.NET> writes:
>In article <11571@uwm.edu> datta@vacs.uwp.edu (David Datta) writes:
>>If you want to avoid costs, record an RDAT digital cassette at 44.1 kHz.

>Is this generally the accepted standard now?  I thought the Sony
>PCM-F1 format was the preferred one.

The PCM-F1 format is still preferred by anyone who doesn't have the new
1-shot disc recorders. The new machine pretty much automatically takes
an RDAT and builds the TOC on the fly then makes the single disc. This
disc can be used to make the actual master for mass duplication. These
machines are relatively new, I think they didn't start coming out until
the end of last year and the prices have only gotten low enough for
smaller studios to start buying them.

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.edu. The dune lizard lifts it's feet so they