[rec.music.gaffa] ftp from the UK

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK (05/03/91)

>From: ***SEMPSY*** <sre017@cck.cov.ac.uk>
>Date:       Wed, 1 May 91 12:58:41 -0100
>Subject:    ftp
>
>How do you access the archives from the UK please???
>I tried ftp hayes.ims.alaska.edu
>but it doesn't work.It just gives me the prompt unknown host
> Andy Semple

Well it is not just in the use of the English language that the US and GB
differ. You have hit the old protocol hurdle. Basically -
  US = Internet = TCP/IP -> ARPA FTP
  GB = JANET = Coloured Books -> Blue Book FTP

At the moment GB is not on the Internet. However, coming to your
computer centre soon is the all singing, all dancing Project Shoestring
from the JNT to provide IP over JANET. On your screens in October (if
your computing centre buys a router!). Until then you have to use
a gateway machine at the NSFnet-relay in ULCC, that provides access to
the Internet. Call uk.ac.nsf.sun (DTE 000040010180). They
have a guestftp service (username and password guestftp) that allows you
to (ARPA) ftp files from the archive machine onto the disc at London.
You then have to either pull them to your own machine using Blue Book ftp
(hhcp on my Unix box ) or push them from London using Unix-NIFTP.
Come October time all this should be transparent as long as your HEI
joins in the IP over JANET service.

Neil "just when I was beginning to understand Comms. they moved me
    onto SGML :-( " Calton
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk