[rec.music.gaffa] l-h outreach

barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) (05/02/91)

Neal writes:
>Perhaps the closest you could come would a be a monthly single page
>newsletter with just news briefs and quick questions and answers.
>I think this would be useful but who would spend the time required
>for such an effort?

I'm also thinking something like this, and am wondering if we could at
least offer it to people like Tom of C-side who might staple it in with his
price list, and the other zines who could extract what they liked?

The point is that if we're going to feel miffed when clubs like AATHP beat
us to the punch on stuff, then we ought to try to share our resources with
the 95% of US/UK/&c katefans who have no access.

(Side issue: is it possible to get the digest thru Compuserve, Prodigy,
etc?  How?  Can we make an effort to get the word out in all the zines how
people can do this?)

Would anyone volunteer to be an 'outreach information officer'?

I think we do need a designated interface to CBS, and Ed is fine by me.
I'd like to think we could get some promo stuff for the various local
Katemas parties, first-notification on tour/album/etc news, and RESERVED
SEATING AT CONCERTS, pleeeeeeeease!

But we hardly deserve this so long as we're so inherently undemocratic,
imho.

Couldn't somebody do a little semi-non-profit side-business selling xeroxes
of lyrics, etc?

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (05/03/91)

From article <9105021241.AA13560@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>, by barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger):
> Neal writes:
>>Perhaps the closest you could come would a be a monthly single page
>>newsletter with just news briefs and quick questions and answers.
>>I think this would be useful but who would spend the time required
>>for such an effort?
>
> I'm also thinking something like this, and am wondering if we could at
> least offer it to people like Tom of C-side who might staple it in with his
> price list, and the other zines who could extract what they liked?

Interesting idea.  With a good part of the work of actually putting
the various and miscellaneous bits of information into print already
handled by the wide variety of Love-Hounds this sort of thing could be
very workable.  The designated editor can just save important posts
as the month passes and then edit them down into a "news briefs"
format.  This could be layed out in nice format, reproduced and sent
to the fan organizations.

They could do with it as they please including stapling it into their
own fanzine or newsletter as long as they give full credit.  In return
we could ask the right to use information out of their publication to
one degree or another and perhaps one complimentary subscription
sent to the person who gathers the information for the newsletter.

For fanzines that creates a wire service type arrangement that could
be mutually beneficial for everyone.  I'm not sure how it would work
with for dealers but C-side, for instance, does provide some useful
information in it's ad flyers.

> (Side issue: is it possible to get the digest thru Compuserve, Prodigy,
> etc?  How?  Can we make an effort to get the word out in all the zines how
> people can do this?)

Compuserve users can sign up through some sort of mail gateway.  I
doubt that this is a very cost-effective way to access Love-Hounds but
it may be all that some folks can manage.  I've wanted for some time
now to do an article about the various electronic Kate forums for
submission to one or more Kate fanzines.  It's right here on page ten
of my list of things to do.

> I think we do need a designated interface to CBS, and Ed is fine by me.
> I'd like to think we could get some promo stuff for the various local
> Katemas parties, first-notification on tour/album/etc news, and RESERVED
> SEATING AT CONCERTS, pleeeeeeeease!

And add to that some sort of pre-tour ticket sales through fan
organizations.  This should definitely be the highest possible
priority.  I've haven't got a clue what size venue Kate would play
(hopefully nice little 'intimate' places) but there's every possibility
that word will get out that it is _the_ show of a life-time and
true-believers could be left outside as the infidels snatch up all
the tickets. <I awake in a cold sweat>

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

wisner@ims.alaska.EDU (Bill Wisner) (05/03/91)

>(Side issue: is it possible to get the digest thru Compuserve, Prodigy,
>etc?  How?  Can we make an effort to get the word out in all the zines how
>people can do this?)

There are currently five CompuServe subscribers on the list.  CompuServe
and GEnie are the only major commercial services with Internet mail
gateways that I'm aware of.

Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

rickt@well.UUCP (Rick Thompson) (05/05/91)

Richard Caldwell writes:

>And add to that some sort of pre-tour ticket sales through fan
>organizations.  This should definitely be the highest possible
>priority.  I've haven't got a clue what size venue Kate would play
>(hopefully nice little 'intimate' places) but there's every possibility
>that word will get out that it is _the_ show of a life-time and
>true-believers could be left outside as the infidels snatch up all
>the tickets. <I awake in a cold sweat>

   Richard, I wouldn't bet on "nice little 'intimate' places, however
nice it might be!
   Still, what I worry about isn't so much the "infidels" _per se_,
but rather about commercial ticket agencies. After all, these people
are in the _business_ of snatching up the best possible tickets in
the largest possible quantities, and they're already very heavily
connected to accomplish that -- often to the point where the artists
themselves have difficulty establishing control over it. I'm not all
that concerned that the tickets won't be there at all, but I do worry
that they're going to be available only through these people, and
at astronomical prices. Worse, given the fact that these folks are
already positioned to grab them, I haven't got the vaguest idea of
what to suggest to do about it.
   Anybody out there got any ideas?

   | rickt@well.sf.ca.us         | "And I don't know when          |
   | J. R. Thompson (Rick)       |  But just saying it could       |
   | Upstate NY                  |         even make it happen..." |