[rec.music.gaffa] KT to direct Prince video

larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) (05/04/91)

Well, the subject pretty much says it... heard on local radio 'modern rock
news' spot yesterday that Prince has lined up several directors already for
his next few videos, and among the names mentioned was... Kate Bush.
<jaw drops to floor with resounding ka-thunk!>

I only just discovered this newsgroup about 3 days ago, and have already
read all ~300 messages that our server still had around, and ordered two
of the boot CD's from Tom at C-Side.  What a wonderful treat to find so many
other KT lovers.  Bless you all.

(Sorry if the Prince video bit has been announced already - I really did read
each and every one of those messages, but after that many, my mind was reeling
more than a little... I don't recall anyone else mentioning it.)
--
-larryy@apple.com

"You wouldn't recognize a *subtle plan* if it painted itself purple,
and danced naked upon a harpsichord, singing, 'Subtle Plans are Here Again'."
                        -  Edmund Blackadder

L-H@cup.portal.COM (05/05/91)

Larry Yaeger (welcome!-you'll liKe iT here) reported:

>...Prince has lined up several directors already for
>his next few videos, and among the names mentioned was...Kate Bush.
><jaw drops to floor with resounding ka-thunk!>

Er, was that your jaw, or Princes's jaw? :-)  I know you didn't mean to
come across that way, but the first thing I thought when I read that
sentence was "S**t, the very thought of "Prince" coming anywhere near
to "lining up" Kate.  HA!"  I don't remember if this had been reported
here yet.  Bob Davis (a radio dj) told me this last week; he said that
it had been reported in an industry rag.  If I can get him to get that
issue or make a copy, I'll post it.  I must admit to not having heard
many of his songs, but I understand that Prince wrote that song that
Sinhead had a hit with, and it was the type of story that I'm sure Kate
could weave into a typically unforgettable visual experience.  She
must have appreciated the song, and that speaks highly for Prince.

There can be no question...

Larry (L-H@cup.porTal.Kom)

sja@sirius.hut.fi (Sakari Jalovaara) (05/05/91)

> [...] Prince has lined up several directors already for
> his next few videos, and among the names mentioned was... Kate Bush.

MTV Europe had heard of this also, they say:

	Prince looks set to release a new album this August,
	tentatively titled "Pearls and Diamonds."

	Reports reach us that there may be a single release before the
	LP is out; and that Kate Bush, actress Lisa Bonnet and film
	director Spike Lee have all been approached to direct videos
	for tracks released from it.

While I'm on the soapbox: does anyone happen to know how much $$ to
send for P&H to Europe for the Happy Rhodes tapes and CD?  Or
alternatively a phone number to Aural Gratification so I can ask
m'self?
									++sja

larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) (05/06/91)

In article <9105041522.1.23668@cup.portal.com> L-H@cup.portal.COM writes:
>Larry Yaeger (welcome!-you'll liKe iT here) reported:
>
>>...Prince has lined up several directors already for
>>his next few videos, and among the names mentioned was...Kate Bush.
>><jaw drops to floor with resounding ka-thunk!>
>
>Er, was that your jaw, or Princes's jaw? :-)  I know you didn't mean to
>come across that way, but the first thing I thought when I read that
>sentence was "S**t, the very thought of "Prince" coming anywhere near
>to "lining up" Kate.  HA!"  ...

Hee hee... well, actually, I was trying very carefully (and obviously
failing) to *not* comment on Prince and his music.  I have very mixed
feelings about P, loving some of his early stuff, hating a lot of his
later stuff, but finding bad stuff among the good and good stuff among
the bad... Aarrgghh!  All that's IMHO, of course.

What I was really a bit agog about was that Kate was directing *anyone*
else's video besides her own.  (I'm not aware of her having done so for
anyone else in the past; or did she direct one of the versions of Peter
Gabriel's "Don't Give Up"?  Some other videos?)

I hope the song she gets to direct is, indeed, one that she feels good
about.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it.  Though it couldn't
possibly match a work featuring her own music!;-)
--

lazlo@triton.unm.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) (05/06/91)

larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) writes:

> What I was really a bit agog about was that Kate was directing *anyone*
> else's video besides her own.

I felt the same way at first but if you think about it it makes perfect
sense . . . she's a creative person and she's *good* at it, so it only
makes sense that other people would like to get her to work with them.
Now I wonder why she *hasn't* produced or directed other people before.
I'd like to hear the result if she produced a band that was significantly
more pop than she was.

...Peace.                                          Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)
"If you can't feel the rhythm, don't dance."

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (05/06/91)

From article <52476@apple.Apple.COM>, by larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger):

> What I was really a bit agog about was that Kate was directing *anyone*
> else's video besides her own.

I'd say it's a bit early to say that she _is_ going to direct for
anyone else.  So far the best report we have (until Larry digs up the
industry rag :) says that Kate (and others) have been "approached"
about directing a video.  If her album is going as well as has been
reported I'd say the odds of her taking a break to direct for someone
else are pretty slim.  If she does we can suspect that things have
stalled and settle down for a long wait.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May06.014758.7725@ariel.unm.edu> lazlo@triton.unm.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) writes:
>larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) writes:
>
>> What I was really a bit agog about was that Kate was directing *anyone*
>> else's video besides her own.
>
>I felt the same way at first but if you think about it it makes perfect
>sense . . . she's a creative person and she's *good* at it ...

Yep, on reflection it certainly does make sense for her to apply her
obvious talents in such a way.  Although I do feel that when she directs
her own music, she expresses her musical composition, arranging, singing, etc.
talents, plus her choreography and dancing talents, plus her visual story-
telling, graphic composition, directorial and editing talents, and so on...
but will be able to bring such a small subset of those talents to bear on
a Prince (or anyone else's) video that it bothers me a bit.  Still, if it
does come to pass, I know I'll be excited about seeing it.  And anything
that broadens Kate's creative opportunities is fine by me.  And then, of
course, Kate simply wouldn't do it if she didn't want to... it's really
her business!

By the way... someone else mentioned that Van Dyke Parks might have made
an appearance on Twin Peaks... that is correct, as Leo Johnson's lawyer,
Mr. Racine.