[rec.music.gaffa] fyi...

dkletter@.UUCP (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (05/07/91)

for those of you in the Bay Area, CDW now has the Japanese boxed set
and two copies of PASSING THROUGH AIR. the former has a sticker price
of $145 and the latter is $49 which i thought was pretty damned expensive,
but i thought i'd let y'all know anyways.

hasta. --d

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/07/91)

>CDW now has [...] two copies of PASSING THROUGH AIR.
>The latter is $49 which i thought was pretty damned expensive,

>hasta. --d

Oof.  This *is* pretty damned expensive!  I paid $30 for my copy, which
was what I paid for _If You Could See Me Fly_.  On the other hand,
out of 19 tracks on _IYCSMF_, 14 were songs I'd never heard before in any
form (the others are demos of various songs).  That CD is ~45 minutes
as I recall.  _PTA_, on the other hand only has 6 tracks (out of 13) that
don't show up as polished versions on actual releases.  _PTA_ is only
about 37 minutes long.  On the other hand, it *does* have "Another Day,"
the quality of which is pretty bad, but the song is just so amazing that
it's easy to overlook.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

L-H@cup.portal.COM (05/08/91)

d noted the two _PTA_ CDs at Compact Disc Warehouse (in Sunnyvale on El
Camino).  I saw those on Saturday night, and frankly couldn't believe:
1) The price.  Granted, it's the most valuable item in that store at the
   moment (in terms of pure music magic, that is), but I have to wonder
   if they'll ever sell th at that price.
2) The fact that they were even there.  I've never seen boots at CDW
   before.  I'm sure someone there knows that they are boots, as well.
   I remember there being a sign stuck to each saying something like:
   "These songs are not typical CD quality.  No refunds or exchanges."
   I wanted to talk with the clerks about them, but it was 6 minutes
   past closing time, and they were busy trying to kick people out of
   the store.  Of course, if any Love-Hound would like one, let me
   know, and I'll go see if one's still there.  It _is_ pretty damned
   expensive, though don't you know...

Larry (l-h@cup.portal.com)

dkletter@.UUCP (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (05/08/91)

In article <9105071054.1.119@cup.portal.com> L-H@cup.portal.COM writes:
>   moment (in terms of pure music magic, that is), but I have to wonder
>   if they'll ever sell th at that price.

you'd be surprised at the ammounts of people i find who don't seem to
see how that could be expensive. don't ask me how, but they all shop
at Circular Motions...2:)

>2) The fact that they were even there.  I've never seen boots at CDW
>   before.  I'm sure someone there knows that they are boots, as well.

actually, they've had boots before. i bought two Joy Division boots
from them (for $20 ea.) a year or so back. every once in a while, Chris
finds someone selling them and orders a few. i know he knows they are
bootlegs. what i don't understand is why he's started hiking up his
prices lately.

>   I remember there being a sign stuck to each saying something like:
>   "These songs are not typical CD quality.  No refunds or exchanges."

the reason why he puts such a vague message on is because they've been
in trouble with the feds before for plain old paralell importing. remember
about two years back? they got hit and scared for a while. they're
more cautious now. they figure that if you know about the bootleg, then
you know what you're looking at and if you don't, then that's just
as well for them.

hasta. --d

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.