[rec.music.gaffa] Other Female Singers

S.L.Fagg@stl.stc.co.UK (Steve Fagg) (05/08/91)

From:	CEDAR::SLF          "Steve Fagg"  3-MAY-1991 09:20:31.86
To:	INET::"love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu"
CC:	SLF
Subj:	Other Female Singers

In the recent discussions about other female vocalists of note, I've been a
bit surprised to see no mention of Julia Fordham. Does anybody have any views,
either for or against? Does anybody know of any albums beyond the eponymous
one and "Porcelain"?

Regarding Happy Rhodes, thanks for the overseas price information for ordering
her CD. Having been turned on to Jane Siberry thanks entirely to Vickie's
championship I'm keen to hear something of Happy. I shall be ordering the CD
real soon now.

As far as Jane is concerned, I can sympathise with those who are less than
bowled over on their initial exposure to her music. When I first listened to
the copy of "Bound by the Beauty" I'd bought on the strength of Vickie's
endorsement I was very disappointed and couldn't understand what all the fuss
had been about. She sounded to me then rather like a second rate Joni
Mitchell. But after hearing the album half a dozen times over a couple of
months I found certain songs had wormed their way into my conciousness and I
was hooked. Now my only disappointment concerning Jane is that "Bound by the
Beauty" seems to be the only one of her albums to have been released over
here. Is that right?

--
Regards

Steve Fagg      ( S.L.Fagg@stl.stc.co.uk +44-279-429531 Ext 2437 )
BNR Europe - STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex, CM17 9NA, UK

                *** Vita? Nole me vitae dicere! ***

jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) (05/10/91)

In article <00948496d71649a0@cedar.stl.co.uk> S.L.Fagg@stl.co.uk
(Steve Fagg) writes:
>In the recent discussions about other female vocalists of note, I've been a
>bit surprised to see no mention of Julia Fordham. Does anybody have any views,
>either for or against? Does anybody know of any albums beyond the eponymous
>one and "Porcelain"?

I really like Julia Fordham. Her music is quite different from Kate's
(much more of a Latin/jazz/worldbeat influence), but she writes,
produces, and sings her own material. Her lyrics are often far more
clever than what one typically finds in a jazz/pop song - I have found
I really need her lyrics in hand when I listen!

I believe that _Julia Fordham_ and _Porcelain_ are her only albums.
She was supposed to play in Austin last year at a local jazz-oriented
club, but had to cancel. :-(

Other female vocalists I like (closer to Julia in style than Kate) are
Basia, the Polish jazz singer, and Tracey Thorn of a British group
called "Everything But The Girl". Again, music that is quite different
from Kate's, but still quite enjoyable. Both women have very expressive
voices.

Just for the record, my other female favorites are k.d. lang, Bonnie
Raitt, Sinead O'Connor, and Annie Lennox (oh, yes, and now Happy
Rhodes!)

Jeff

--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com

pete@minster.york.ac.uk (05/11/91)

In article <9105101347.AA16265@sqa.dsg.ti.com> jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) writes:

>In article <00948496d71649a0@cedar.stl.co.uk> S.L.Fagg@stl.co.uk
>(Steve Fagg) writes:
>>In the recent discussions about other female vocalists of note, I've been a
>>bit surprised to see no mention of Julia Fordham. Does anybody have any views,
>>either for or against? Does anybody know of any albums beyond the eponymous
>>one and "Porcelain"?
>
>I really like Julia Fordham. Her music is quite different from Kate's
>(much more of a Latin/jazz/worldbeat influence), but she writes,
>produces, and sings her own material. Her lyrics are often far more
>clever than what one typically finds in a jazz/pop song - I have found
>I really need her lyrics in hand when I listen!
>
>I believe that _Julia Fordham_ and _Porcelain_ are her only albums.
>She was supposed to play in Austin last year at a local jazz-oriented
>club, but had to cancel. :-(

I believe there is another version of the ``Julia Fordham'' album -- instead
of the B&W photo on the cover there is a gold-tinted version and I think it
includes some live tracks recorded in Japan (???). An excellent singer,
anyway.

Re: other female singers...

Anyone else out there listen to Helen Watson? One of the most under-rated
singer/songwriters around, IMHO. She's recorded two excellent albums ``Blue
Slipper'' and ``The Weather Inside'', both of which are full of great songs
with absolutely excellent lyrics. Watson is rather more r&b/blues influenced
than many other female songwriters,  and her lyrics tend to deal more in the
trials and tribulations of everyday life than the esoterica of KaTe etc. Her
songs are literate and entertaining, her voice is very good and I don't know
why she isn't more popular!!! She did have one fairly successful single in
the UK, ``You're Not The Rule (You're The Exception)'', about four years
ago.

A few other female singers I enjoy listening to: Suzanne Vega, Karen
Peris (The Innocence Mission), Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), Liz
Fraser (Cocteau Twins), KaTe, Julia Fordham, Bjork (Sugarcubes), Tracey
Thorn, Rosie Vela (whatever happened to her!), Tanya Donelly/Kristin Hersh
(Throwing Muses), Tracy Tracy (Primitives)....etc etc etc....

	Pete Fenelon
--
Dept. of Computer Science|INTERNET: pete@minster.york.ac.uk
University of York       |UUCP:     {the world}!ukc!minster!pete

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (05/12/91)

Can anyone here read Japanese? I just bought the Japanese import of Here
Today, Tomorrow, Next Week by The Sugarcubes and there is a band bio in the
front of the booklet in Japanese. I really need to know what it says.
Please help me!!

I think that the easiest way to do this would be for me to photocopy the
bio and send it through snail mail with a couple bucks included.
--
Michael Graham         |   "Well she's not really my half sister...err...
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca    |    more like 2/5ths"