[rec.music.gaffa] GLC

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/29/90)

Really-From: More Blank Than Frank <buckaroo@apple.com>

I noted with interest that Ed (hi, Ed!) brought "GLC" to Chris'n'Vickie's
(hi, CHris'n'Vickie!); Does this mean that there actually is a finished
product (video)?  Or are we just talking about the song _Ken_ here?

Inquiring minds want to know.  Ed, when you get back 'round here, lemme
know about this, OK?  (408) 255-3238...  Thanks!

Also, Vickie--please add me to the at-the-door list; not sure how I'm gonna afford
it, but what the hey...

Michael Butler
Cupertino CA

...my .sig is at the cleaners

/If the big eyes of my God/Weren't watching me/I'd steal you away/ --KTB

judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) (04/05/91)

   On my CD copy of _Aspects Of The Sensual World_, it lists "Ken" as
being from the ".....comic strip film G.L.C....." I have never heard of
this! Is this a forthcoming movie that I haven't seen promos for; strictly
a British release; or what? I'm very curious (as I assume most love-hounds
tend to be about KaTe-related facts they don't know), and would appreciate
any info anyone else out there could give me.

                            Thanks in advance,

                                       judi

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (04/05/91)

Judi asks about the reference on "Aspects..." to "the Comic Strip film
G.L.C."

There is a BBC series, whose title I don't quite recall, but is something
like "The Comic Strip Presents."  It features a number of well-known,
young British comedians in episode-length films/sketches.  Way-back-when,
when MTV was semi-cool, they had a bunch o' British comedy on Sunday
nights--they would show one Monty Python episode, one "Young Ones" and one
Comic Strip.  Many of the comedians from "The Young Ones" were also in
the Comic Strip.

Well, the Comic Strip is still in production.  Back in _real_ early '90,
there were two Comic Strips that featured KaTe in some way.  The first was
"G.L.C." (greater london council), which was a spoof of London politics
done in the manner of a spaghetti western.  There was a real Ken who was
a leader of the real-life GLC (can't remember his last name).  For this
film, KaTe did the soundtrack.  I'm not sure how much music she did, but
there were at least two "songs" ("Ken" and "The Confrontation" (the latter
of which is available on the British "Love and Anger" single)), and I
think I remember hearing that "Cloudbusting" or maybe it was some other
HoL song was played in the background at one point.

In an episode a few weeks later, KaTe actually had an acting role.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge these have only been broadcast in the UK
(not that my knowledge is far-reaching; I have no clue... ;-), and therefore
in PAL format.

So...*has* anybody converted either of these to NTSC?  Are there copies
floating around?  Will someone make me a copy of either??  :-)/2

Jeff
(who paid $12 for the import CD single of "L&A" so he could get "The Confront-
ation," which is the only TSW-era B-side not in the Box Set)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

houghge@EXPERT.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Gerald Hough) (04/05/91)

In article <9104050456.AA14142@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) writes:
>(who paid $12 for the import CD single of "L&A" so he could get "The Confront-
>ation," which is the only TSW-era B-side not in the Box Set)

Just a comment, is "One more look around the house before we go" in the
boxed set?  It's absolutely beautiful, and I love playing it over and
over.....

|   Gerald E. Hough II             |Collect:KateBushSistersOfMercyCure|
|   houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu   |Like:ClannadFraceGallBerlinDigital|
|   Purdue University Physics Lib. |UndergroundLedZepJourneyBauhausNWA|
|       -     -    -    -          |NikKershawELO10000ManiacsREMEnigma|
| "Have a cola de mono on me..."   |JeanMichelJarreVangelesJamesHorner|

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) (04/05/91)

>Just a comment, is "One more look around the house before we go" in the
>boxed set?  It's absolutely beautiful, and I love playing it over and
>over.....

     Yow!  Me too!  I left the song on repeat for a whole night on that
song.  Also, is there a track list for the B-sides discs in the Box(ed) Set?
If they're in the gaffa archives (hayes.fai.alaska.edu?) just kick me in
the right direction.  I've still managed (much to Love-Hounds' dismay, I'm
sure  ;-) not to buy the Set.  200 clams is a bit much, and I have a lot of
stuff on tape from a friend (who should be thanked again!)  Poor student
and all that...
     I might as well throw in a few things about the GOoMH discussion.  I tend
to agree with the _The Shining_ reference.  The song always hit me as a
conflict on a relationship level, not exactly a sexual level.  I always thought
that "This house is as old as I am/This house knows all I have done" refers to
a home.  As old as I am probably doesn't mean exactly as old, just in reference
to it's age.  Most houses tend to be around 15-20 years old, in general.  While
I can't say from experience, I would say that describing rape in a song would
be much more shocking and raw than GOoMH.  The man is begging to get back in,
not in already and gloating, or whatever.  I never got the idea of rape, but
it does at a new level to the song.  To each his or her own, but I doubt that's
what it was written around.  I'm sure Kate could make it quite clear if she
wanted.
     Ah, to have a loud stereo...

>|   Gerald E. Hough II             |Collect:KateBushSistersOfMercyCure|
>|   houghge@expert.cc.purdue.edu   |Like:ClannadFraceGallBerlinDigital|
--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu
Computing Services Office                 uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!brownfld
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.     (finger for more info.)

I wrote:

>>"The Confrontation," which is the only TSW-era B-side not in the Box Set

to which Gerald Hough asked

>Just a comment, is "One more look around the house before we go" in the
>boxed set?  It's absolutely beautiful, and I love playing it over and
>over.....

<hurt-little-boy-voice> I *said* "The Confrontation" was the only TSW B-side
not in the Box Set....

Yup, it's on there--track 3 of TWW II.

And as long as I'm speaking in a little-boy-voice I s'pose it's alright,
nay, expected that I be pedantic...it's "One Last Look Around the House
Before We Go..."

It *is* beautiful, and I often think that it's far too short, but I s'pose
that's the point--it's that last, bittersweet look before leaving.  Sigh.

Jeff

--

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/06/91)

>Well, the Comic Strip is still in production.  Back in _real_ early '90,
>there were two Comic Strips that featured KaTe in some way.  The first was
>"G.L.C." (greater london council)
[. . .]
> For this
>film, KaTe did the soundtrack.  I'm not sure how much music she did, but
>there were at least two "songs" ("Ken" and "The Confrontation" (the latter
>of which is available on the British "Love and Anger" single)), and I
>think I remember hearing that "Cloudbusting" or maybe it was some other
>HoL song was played in the background at one point.

Kate did ALL of the music for this half-hour episode!
All the B-sides for Love and Anger":  "Ken", "The Confrontation",
and "One Last Look Around the House Before We Go" are from this film.
In addition, there are a couple of other short instrumental pieces
that are unmistakably Kate, but which have never been recorded.  In
particular a lovely choral piece near the end.  Also, it's "Running
Up That Hill" that is played in the background of a bar scene.

>In an episode a few weeks later, KaTe actually had an acting role.

This was called "Les Dogs", and featured Kate as a bride in a truly
weird, but funny, surrealistic tale.  Kate doesn't actually appear until
about ten minutes go by, and she doesn't say anything for another ten
minutes.  Actually, she doesn't have many lines at all.  But she looks
more stunningly beautiful than I've ever seen her!

>Unfortunately, to my knowledge these have only been broadcast in the UK
>(not that my knowledge is far-reaching; I have no clue... ;-), and therefore
>in PAL format.
>So...*has* anybody converted either of these to NTSC?  Are there copies
>floating around?  Will someone make me a copy of either??  :-)/2

Yes, they've been coverted to NTSC quite a while ago.  How else could
I have obtained copies? :-)  As for copies -- well, I'm sure this
will start a deluge of requests, so I'll tell you what:  If you send
me a blank videotape along with self-addressed packaging capable of
carrying it, with appropriate postage affixed to it, I'll make you
copies.  Naturally, I want to make this as easy for myself as possible!
As a bonus, you'll get the Rapido interview from the fall of 1989 on BBC.

My address:

Edward Suranyi
3550 Pacific Ave. #312
Livermore, CA  94550

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

tlhouns@NS.PACBELL.COM (Lee Hounshell) (04/08/91)

In article <m0jOiIe-0001NjC@coyote.datalog.com> judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) writes:

>   On my CD copy of _Aspects Of The Sensual World_, it lists "Ken" as
>being from the ".....comic strip film G.L.C....." I have never heard of
>this! Is this a forthcoming movie that I haven't seen promos for; strictly
>a British release; or what? I'm very curious (as I assume most love-hounds
>tend to be about KaTe-related facts they don't know), and would appreciate
>any info anyone else out there could give me.

Actually, GLC stands for the "Greater London Council" (a real-life entity)
and "Ken <i-forget-the-last-name>" is about the chairman of that council.
Apparently, the song is a real-life parody of this guy.. who was also made
into a comic strip character.  Perhaps some of the Brits could shed a little
more light on this, as I believe the story was "big news" or somesuch over
there.

Lee Hounshell

sharon@minster.york.ac.uk (05/07/91)

Hi , well did all you people see GLC on Sat night....? is the music only out
on CD or can I get it on 12"

scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.UK (Scott Telford) (05/09/91)

In article <swordfish.673605967@minster.york.ac.uk>
sharon@minster.york.ac.UK writes:
>Hi , well did all you people see GLC on Sat night....? is the music only out
>on CD or can I get it on 12"

Yes, I certainly did. Almost missed the Norwegian entry in the Eurovision
Song Contest on BBC1 to see it 8^)

"Ken" is available on the "Love and Anger" 12" EP and CD-single. You
should still be able to find the EP around, but the CD-S is rather
elusive. If anybody can still find it in the UK, I would be *very*
interested...

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

dkletter@.UUCP (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (05/10/91)

In article <2923@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:
>"Ken" is available on the "Love and Anger" 12" EP and CD-single. You
>should still be able to find the EP around, but the CD-S is rather
>elusive. If anybody can still find it in the UK, I would be *very*
>interested...

interestingly enough, Tower Records here in sunny California has an influx
of the 'Love and Anger' CD5.

how funny...

hasta. --d

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.UK (Scott Telford) (05/12/91)

In article <2923@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (me) writes:
>In article <swordfish.673605967@minster.york.ac.uk>
>sharon@minster.york.ac.UK writes:
>>Hi , well did all you people see GLC on Sat night....? is the music only out
>>on CD or can I get it on 12"
>
>"Ken" is available on the "Love and Anger" 12" EP and CD-single. You...

Oops, almost forgot. According to fellow KaTefan and T'pau-fan Michele
Young (YOUNG_MI@ctstateu.bitnet), "Ken" was also on the "Aspects of the
Sensual World" CD. I can't say I've ever seen this. Was it a US-only
release? When was it released? It's not in IED's discography, so it must
have been pretty late...

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/13/91)

>Oops, almost forgot. According to fellow KaTefan and T'pau-fan Michele
>Young (YOUNG_MI@ctstateu.bitnet), "Ken" was also on the "Aspects of the
>Sensual World" CD. I can't say I've ever seen this. Was it a US-only
>release? When was it released? It's not in IED's discography, so it must
>have been pretty late...

>| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |

"Aspects of the Sensual World" was a US-only CD EP containing five
songs:  "The Sensual World" (both vocal and instrumental versions),
"Ken", "Be Kind To My Mistakes", and "I'm Still Waiting".  It came
out in the spring of 1990, and is still available some places.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov