[rec.music.gaffa] I'm A Happy Camper

jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) (05/10/91)

Yesterday I received my first Happy Rhodes cassette, _Rhodes Vol. 1_.
I was actually inclined to "be hard" on Happy during my first listening,
because I had heard nothing from the group but raves and I didn't
want to get my expectations too high.

Well, when I opened the envelope and saw the rather gruesome cover art
(a green-haired monster with bulging eyes and huge incisors) my
expectations dropped at once. "No wonder this isn't in stores" I thought.
"No one would really be inclined to buy this album, Happy unheard,
with this godawful cover art." (I know that Doug Burks and Charlotte
Stern have referred to Happy's cover art in their postings.) I will go
on record as saying I don't like this art, it's ugly in my opinion,
and I don't really think that it conveys the "demons" that allegedly
lurk in Happy's music. Kate's music is deep as well, but she hasn't
had to draw these Giger alien figures to make that point.

I don't mean to sound ultra-picky about the cover art, but it was
the awesome cover of _The Dreaming_ that got me into Kate's music
to begin with. What I'm saying is . . . .Happy's music is GREAT, and
I would *hate* to see someone not give it a try because the cover
was a turnoff. People sometimes do buy music from artists they're
unfamiliar with if the cover is interesting (i'm one of them) and
Happy's music is too good - even important - to be hidden behind
these unappealing covers.

Enough of that, now for the music.

I don't know Vickie (except from her postings), but I want to thank
her for bringing Happy to the group's attention. She is really an
important artist! (Happy, not Vickie :-) ).

It's obvious that Kate is a major influence on Happy, but Happy is not
a Kate clone by *any* means. She uses guitar and synthesizer as her
major instruments on _Vol 1_, and the mix is beautiful and original.
I would guess her other influences are Joni Mitchell, any number of
Celtic artists, and even new-age electronic types like Jean-Michel
Jarre. (The song "He's Alive" has a distinct electronic sound to it,
as does "Case of Glass").  And her voice is haunting and powerful.

I ended up listening to _Rhodes Vol 1_ *five* times last night. I cannot
remember replaying an album so many times the first day I had it.
I listened during dinner. I listened while cleaning the downstairs,
and when I went upstairs to clean, Happy went with me. I listened
with the news turned on but on mute. I listened this morning in
the bathroom getting ready for work, and while eating breakfast.
I'm probably going to wear the tape out in a week!

Anyone who enjoys Kate's music is probably going to enjoy Happy. Her
songs seem outwardly simple, but after repeated listenings, you can
discern that deeper interpretations are possible.
Example:

On the song "Case of Glass" (my favorite thus far), Happy sings to
a lover she wishes to keep in a case of glass, preserved forever.
At first listen (and some of the lyrics were a little difficult to
distinguish), it sounds like a woman who wishes to preserve a
beautiful and special love. The song can be interpreted this way,
but the more I listened, the woman sounded more sinister and possessive.
The image of a collector oohing over a fly trapped in amber came to
mind, as though Happy were keeping her lover trapped away from the
world, instead of preserving a romance. When Happy sings:

"If you ever wander, I pray that you will find
A love equal in power, with limits undefined. . ."

You can take as either wishing her lover happiness if he should stray,
or you can take it that he'll find someone as possessive who doesn't
observe "limits". The song can be both romantic and chilling.

All the songs on the album are good, but my favorites so far are
"Case of Glass", "I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep", "Step Inside", and
a song Happy recorded in honor of those record company executives
who haven't given her a contract, "The Wretches Gone Awry" :-).

I'm definitely ordering Happy's other cassettes and the CD as soon as
I can. If you're a Kate fan and haven't tried Happy Rhodes, please do.
REALLY. She's an important talent, and considering the blather being
played on the radio today, she's also a welcome relief.

Jeff
--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/10/91)

another Jeff writes:

>Well, when I opened the envelope and saw the rather gruesome cover art
>(a green-haired monster with bulging eyes and huge incisors) my
>expectations dropped at once. "No wonder this isn't in stores" I thought.
>"No one would really be inclined to buy this album, Happy unheard,
>with this godawful cover art."

This is my favorite of the 5 covers; I think it's beautiful in a gruesome
sort of way.

>and I don't really think that it conveys the "demons" that allegedly
>lurk in Happy's music.

Allegedly?  ALLEGEDLY?  How can you say this, and then go on to talk in depth
about the chilling nature of "Case of Glass" or mentione "Wretches Gone Awry"?

Take a listen to "Rainkeeper", the first track on Volume I.  "That I'm the
other half of the psychopath/I'm here, better fear me,/the other side/know
where you hide..."  Then try to talk about alleged demons.

>Kate's music is deep as well, but she hasn't had to draw these Giger alien
>figures to make that point.

There are very few songs by KaTe that deal with the same sorts of psychoses,
neuroses, and the general insanity and horror lurking in someone's mind.
"Get Out of My House" "Leave it Open," and "Mother Stands for Comfort" are
the only ones that spring to mind.  Most of Happy's music, ties into this
sort of thing, in one way or another.  Looking just at side 1 of Volume I,
the songs that deal with these internal demons, in one way or another, are:
"Rainkeeper," "Oh the Drears," "He's Alive," "Possessed," "I'll Let You Go,"
"Number One," and, to a lesser extent, "Case of Glass."

I'd even go so far as to say that the cover art is justified solely by the
song "I'll Let You Go."  "For the pain will come and eat away at my soul."
The monster on the cover is the pain.

>I ended up listening to _Rhodes Vol 1_ *five* times last night. I cannot
>remember replaying an album so many times the first day I had it.

I know the feeling.  I didn't think to make dubs of the tapes when I first
got them, and now it's too late--I'll have to order another set fairly soon.
Oops.  Scary thing is that, having had the tapes for close to 5 months, it's
still not uncommon for me to put on Volume II or Rearmament, and listen
3 or 4 times in a row.  They never seem to get old...just more powerful.

Jeff--I've e-mailed you a copy of the Volume I lyrics as far as we know
them.  Enjoy.

one more time:

	Volume I
 	Volume II
    	Rearmament
	Ecto

$9.95 each, on high quality tape, in Dolby B

	Warpaint

$13.99 on CD

Include $2.00 shipping and handling for the CD, $1.50 for tape.

For overseas customers, the cost is 11# for the CD, 8# for the tapes
   (shipping included)

Aural Gratification
P.O. Box 8658 Academy Station
Albany, NY  12208

Hmmm.   Didn't somebody post an updated postage amount about a week ago?
I seem to remember seeing something that included a small amount per additional
tape.  I'd appreciate it if whomever that was could repost.  Thanks...

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.COM (jeff abbott (TB02)) (05/13/91)

In article <9105101643.AA15058@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Jeff Burka) writes:

>another Jeff (referring to me, Jeff Abbott) writes:

>>Well, when I opened the envelope and saw the rather gruesome cover art
>>(a green-haired monster with bulging eyes and huge incisors) my
>>expectations dropped at once. "No wonder this isn't in stores" I thought.
>>"No one would really be inclined to buy this album, Happy unheard,
>>with this godawful cover art."

>This is my favorite of the 5 covers; I think it's beautiful in a gruesome
>sort of way.

To each their own. I haven't seen the other covers yet, 'cause I don't
have the other 4 albums. :-(. It's just a personal bias on my part; if
I'd seen that cover in a record store, I wouldn't have tried the
music. God only knows what Tipper Gore would do. :-)

>>and I don't really think that it conveys the "demons" that allegedly
>>lurk in Happy's music.

>Allegedly?  ALLEGEDLY?  How can you say this, and then go on to talk in depth
>about the chilling nature of "Case of Glass" or mentione "Wretches Gone Awry"?

Okay, so "allegedly" wasn't a good choice of words. They *are* dark forces
at work in Happy's music. . .she could probably get a gig at the
Roadhouse in Twin Peaks. :-) I simply think that despite the darkness,
there is more beauty than suffering in Happy's music. Perhaps that's
what makes it compelling--that light can still exist in sadness and suffering.

>Take a listen to "Rainkeeper", the first track on Volume I.  "That I'm the
>other half of the psychopath/I'm here, better fear me,/the other side/know
>where you hide..."  Then try to talk about alleged demons.

Okay, Jeff, okay. . .your interpretation is Happily Correct.

>Kate's music is deep as well, but she hasn't had to draw these Giger alien
>figures to make that point.

>There are very few songs by KaTe that deal with the same sorts of psychoses,
>neuroses, and the general insanity and horror lurking in someone's mind.
>"Get Out of My House" "Leave it Open," and "Mother Stands for Comfort" are
>the only ones that spring to mind.  Most of Happy's music, ties into this
>sort of thing, in one way or another.	Looking just at side 1 of Volume I,
>the songs that deal with these internal demons, in one way or another, are:
>"Rainkeeper," "Oh the Drears," "He's Alive," "Possessed," "I'll Let You Go,"
>"Number One," and, to a lesser extent, "Case of Glass."

I agree. Happy's music does deal compellingly with the turmoil of the
mind. I still don't think of her music as filled with "horror", though.
Look at a song like "Moonbeam Friends" - I kept expecting Bambi's mother
to be cavorting outside Happy's window. Also, "I'm Not Awake, I'm Not
Asleep" seems a rather serene and peaceful song to me. Your mileage
may vary.

I simple think that neuroses can be artistically represented better than
with a leering demon - look at Edvard Munch's "The Scream". It's not
so heavy-handed.

>I'd even go so far as to say that the cover art is justified solely by the
>song "I'll Let You Go."  "For the pain will come and eat away at my soul."
>The monster on the cover is the pain.

I don't think the cover art is justified, but that is just MHO. I think
your interpretation of "I'll Let You Go" is a good one. Yeah, the monster
on the cover does look like it might include souls on its brunch menu.

>>I ended up listening to _Rhodes Vol 1_ *five* times last night. I cannot
>>remember replaying an album so many times the first day I had it.

>I know the feeling.  I didn't think to make dubs of the tapes when I first
>got them, and now it's too late--I'll have to order another set fairly soon.
>Oops.	Scary thing is that, having had the tapes for close to 5 months, it's
>still not uncommon for me to put on Volume II or Rearmament, and listen
>3 or 4 times in a row.  They never seem to get old...just more powerful.

Absolutely. I won't say how many times I played the tape this weekend,
suffice to say it was a veritable "Happyfest" at the Abbott household.

>Jeff--I've e-mailed you a copy of the Volume I lyrics as far as we know
>them.	Enjoy.

Thanks again, and I have enjoyed them. I appreciate Happy's music more
now that some of the harder-to-follow passages have been deciphered.

Still encouraging those of you who haven't given Happy a chance. . .
please do. Listen to Vickie, Jeff Burka, Kristin Hargie, anyone
else who's posted about Happy. She is really a great talent, and
if you don't give a try, you'll never know. It's worth the investment.
Just start with one tape, or the CD. Decide for yourself. But please,
give her and her music a chance. I don't think you'll regret it.

Jeff
--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com
		TI MSG			%TB02@hub.dsg.ti.com

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/14/91)

Jeff writes

>To each their own. I haven't seen the other covers yet, 'cause I don't
>have the other 4 albums. :-(.

_Volume II has another monster...but as I've said, to me it's grin is
a bit silly.  _Rearmament_ has a fairly innocuous cover (it's a very
hazy/unfocused self-portrait photograph).  _Ecto_'s cover is a very fuzzy
painting of a ghostly sort o' bit of ectoplasm.  It sort of reminds me of
a cross between the good spirit and the bad spirit in the "Experiment IV"
video.

>God only knows what Tipper Gore would do. :-)

She would have tried to explain the painting as an expression of Happy's
obviously misformed sexuality...<grin>

>Okay, so "allegedly" wasn't a good choice of words.

Sorry I over-reacted a bit...but just a bit.  :-)

>I simply think that despite the darkness,
>there is more beauty than suffering in Happy's music. Perhaps that's
>what makes it compelling--that light can still exist in sadness and suffering.

Sometimes, yes, but sometimes, there is no light, or the light is an illusion.

I realize you don't have _Volume II_ yet, but as an example, I'm going to
use "The Revelation" from that album--mainly because Mike was just talking
about Happy's explanation of the song.  She said it was written for a friend
of hers, Mikey, who was, to her mind, overly optimistic.  If I'm reading
Happy's explanation correctly, along with my own interpretation of the song,
it's an incredibly pessimistic piece, dripping with cynicism.  "There is
no love/there is no peace./There's only me/and my beast./The only reality/
isn't real at all."

Another example--"I'll Let You Go."  The character is admitting that she
has a strangle-hold on her [lover?], that it's a stifling sort of
relationship...but that she *has* to do this, because of the pain that
"...came and ate away at my soul."

>Look at a song like "Moonbeam Friends" - I kept expecting Bambi's mother
>to be cavorting outside Happy's window.

It's a beautiful song, a beautiful melody--I played it for a frien, just
once, about 3 months ago.  She's still wandering around humming the
melody.  But even here--"He has a special cause/to keep this child insane."

>I simple think that neuroses can be artistically represented better than
>with a leering demon - look at Edvard Munch's "The Scream". It's not
>so heavy-handed.

Hmmm.  Aesthetic arguements on how best to represent something.  I don't
really have an answer (I like "The Scream" too...)

Jeff