[rec.music.gaffa] Happy Happy Happy

tj@CS.UCLA.EDU (Tom Johnson) (05/14/91)

Well, when I got home from work on Friday evening, there was a little
package sitting waiting for me.  I was in such a hurry though, that I
didn't take the time to open it up.  Wow, was that a mistake!  I should
have stayed home Friday night and listened to "Warpaint" all night long.

I can't remember the last time I was this impressed by a new artist!
I'm gonna order all the cassettes tomorrow, and then wait anxiously
for the mail to arrive.  I'll cancel all plans until I have time to
listen to each one several times.

So, tell me more about Happy Rhodes.  Where is she from?  Does she play
live?  Why hasn't David Lynch signed her up to do the soundtrack
for his next movie?  What can we do to help make her famous?

Tom
--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here

ddl683@csc.albany.EDU (Cinderella Man) (05/14/91)

From tj@CS.UCLA.EDU (Tom Johnson) come these immortal words:
>I can't remember the last time I was this impressed by a new artist!
>I'm gonna order all the cassettes tomorrow, and then wait anxiously
>for the mail to arrive.  I'll cancel all plans until I have time to
>listen to each one several times.
>
>So, tell me more about Happy Rhodes.  Where is she from?  Does she play
>live?  Why hasn't David Lynch signed her up to do the soundtrack
>for his next movie?  What can we do to help make her famous?

	An emphatic WHAT HE SAID!  :-)

Okay, I'm having one of my sick thoughts.  I live in Albany.  There's
got to be some other readers here from the Albany area (I know of at
least one).  How about an Albany Katemas?  And how about... inviting
Ms. Rhodes?  Ooooh, the heart just POUNDS!  :-)  A Happy Katemas!

I know, I know.  She's probably too shy.  She doesn't know us.  It'd
be weird.  Her boyfriend won't like it.  My mother won't like it.
Happy won't like my cooking.  My grilfriend would get jealous.

			But I can dream, can't I?

						Derek L...
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/14/91)

Tom Johnson writes:

>So, tell me more about Happy Rhodes.  Where is she from?

Albany (but we knew that...;-)

>Does she play live?

Vickie says she used to play occasionally around Albany with Kevin, but
that they haven't done it in a while...

>Why hasn't David Lynch signed her up to do the soundtrack
>for his next movie?

Because the music industry doesn't know she exists... <sigh>

>What can we do to help make her famous?

Ya got me.  One idea might be to call your local alternative station (you
know, the only station in town that even thinks about playing KaTe) and
requesting a song; naturally, they'll have no idea who you're talking about.
Maybe you could loan them your CD...;-)

Here's a bit of info that's a bit meatier...it's excerpted from a letter
Happy sent me last August, when I wrote for a catalog and asked a couple
of questions...

     "I started writing music when I was approximately 14, and I started
recording when I was 18.  I'm now 25.  My main instrument was, and is,
the accoustic [sic] guitar, but I've never considered myself a virtuoso on
any one instrument.  The four cassetes from which you've heard excerpts, were
recorded by myself alone, over a period of about 2 years.  Back then, I
would record and mix about 3 songs a night.  I would usually lay down accoustic
[sic] guitar first, or drums, then layer on any other parts.  Last would be the
vocals."

<sigh>  Back in August, when this was written, she was still hoping to have
_Warpaint_ out in mid-fall.  Well, it was worth the wait anyhow...

Hope this has proven interesting.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |