[rec.music.gaffa] BULLETIN: US "Whole Story" laserdisc soon!

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/15/91)

I just picked up the May 1991 new release brochure from Pioneer Artists.
_Kate Bush: The Whole Story_ is to be released soon on laserdisc here
in the USA!!!  For the very first time!  It codes the estimated release
as "6/M", which I think means the middle of June, but I'm not sure.
It will list at $24.95 (MUCH less than the Japanese import), and will
have the catalog number PA-91-374.  The Pioneer EDP number (whatever
that means) will be 25375.  It's digital stereo, CX (whatever that
means), 1 sided.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (05/15/91)

From article <9105150245.AA06457@das.llnl.gov>, by ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi):

> I just picked up the May 1991 new release brochure from Pioneer Artists.
> _Kate Bush: The Whole Story_ is to be released soon on laserdisc here
> in the USA!!!  For the very first time!  It codes the estimated release
> as "6/M", which I think means the middle of June, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I think that's right. I mentioned a few weeks ago that a dealer
told me that it would be available by July.

> It will list at $24.95 (MUCH less than the Japanese import), and will
> have the catalog number PA-91-374.  The Pioneer EDP number (whatever
> that means) will be 25375.  It's digital stereo, CX (whatever that
> means), 1 sided.

Thanks for the info, we'll be watching for it.  Now if I could only
find _The Single File_ on LD.  Does anybody have an import LD catalog
that lists it?  Does anyone know if it's true that _Hair of the Hound_
is/was available as an import in CAV format?  (For you non-laserheads
CAV is the Laser Disc format that allows full special effects.)

CX encoding is a special noise reduction encoding used on the analog
audio track of the LD.  I don't think many people use the analog
soundtrack now that almost all players have digital sound built in.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.COM (Michael Portuesi) (05/15/91)

In article <9105150245.AA06457@das.llnl.gov>, ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward
J. Suranyi) writes:

|> I just picked up the May 1991 new release brochure from Pioneer
|> Artists.
|> _Kate Bush: The Whole Story_ is to be released soon on laserdisc
|> here
|> in the USA!!!  For the very first time!

Wow! Wow! Wow!  Unbelievable!  This news has certainly made my day.

|>It's digital stereo, CX (whatever that
|> means), 1 sided.

This is probably more appropriate for rec.video, but here's a small
tidbit of Laserdisc technology.  The original Laserdisc system, as it
was introduced back in 1979, offered only analog audio.  Still, it was
the highest quality consumer audio recording medium of the time.  CX
is a noise reduction system similar to Dolby that was developed
specifically for the Laserdisc format.  Digital audio capabilities
were added to the format sometime in the mid '80s.  In fact, the
Compact Disc is an offshoot of the development work done for digital
audio on Laserdisc.

Nowadays, most modern Laserdiscs carry four audio tracks -- two
digital, two analog.  Mostly they carry the same audio program, so
that older players can play back the audio in analog and newer players
can play the digital soundtrack.  Also, newer players simply play back
the analog soundtrack on old Laserdiscs which have no digital audio.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"High Eagle Road is tacky.  Trust us.  We're queer.  We understand
these things."  -- Jonathan Katz

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/15/91)

>Thanks for the info, we'll be watching for it.  Now if I could only
>find _The Single File_ on LD.  Does anybody have an import LD catalog
>that lists it?  Does anyone know if it's true that _Hair of the Hound_
>is/was available as an import in CAV format?  (For you non-laserheads
>CAV is the Laser Disc format that allows full special effects.)

I know that Andy Marvick has both of these as Japanese
imports, though I'm not sure how he got them.  Yes,
_Hair of the Hound_ is in CAV format, the only one of
Kate's laserdiscs like that.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.COM (Michael Portuesi) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.124939.25857@cbnews.cb.att.com>,
nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
|> Thanks for the info, we'll be watching for it.  Now if I could
|> only
|> find _The Single File_ on LD.  Does anybody have an import LD
|> catalog
|> that lists it?

I had one which listed it, but it was out of date and I think it was
recently thrown away.  I think I might still have the numbers written
down somewhere, though.

|> Does anyone know if it's true that _Hair of the Hound_
|> is/was available as an import in CAV format?  (For you non-laserheads
|> CAV is the Laser Disc format that allows full special effects.)

Hair of the Hound was listed in the japanese import catalog.  It is
CAV, and contains all the videos that were made for Hounds of Love.

--
__