[rec.music.gaffa] Arson Garden..

woiccare@PEBBLES.SCT.CLARKSON.EDU (05/18/91)

jeffery sez:
> A while back (a month or two), someone asked about the status of the
> band Arson Garden ... AG will be at Jake's for an album release
> party on May 23.  Cover is $2.  There was no information as to the
> title of the album, or the actual street date of the album

the new release is only an ep and it is called _virtue made out of sticks_.
from what i've been able to find out, it should have been released already,
but you know how it is with predicted release dates. i have not seen it in
any stores yet though...

woj

bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft) (05/18/91)

I had the pleasure of booking the band when I was working for KSJS heavily..
they had the same booking agants as the band that they were touring with,
Caterwaul.. For those who don't know about how Arson Garden are in concert,
they are very good.. The lead singer has a style that is reminecent of a
cross between  the Throwing Muses and Sonic Youth.. They were very very good
and I hope you all support them, because they have a lot of potential..
Also, as for Caterwaul, they are the greatest group of people that you'd
want to meet.. They're led by Betsy Martin, who has a natural gift.. A voice
that is unlike any out there.. The guitarist Mark has a sound that is as
wide as the grand canyon, and has the same beauty to it as a flower in the
desert. I suggest that those who haven't heard open their wallets and then
their ears.. They are out on IRS records and Arson Garden, although hard to
get, is available on Community 3 records out of Brooklyn, NY.. For other
fans of Caterwaul, I give you this as a gift.. not the home phone # (don't
want to piss them off..) but an address.. Caterwaul, P.O. Box 6121, Burbank,
CA 91510. I think that's right.. the card is a bit worn.. :)
Mark Kraft,
332 N. 8th St. apt 2b,
San Jose, CA 95112

P.S.. is the date and location of Katemas San Jose set as yet? Oh.. and
there's no message in the memory of the BBS I'm using that has the details
on contacting Happy and orderring her stuff.. Anyone have a # for her
label/manager/whatever so I can get her stuff on college radio over here?
Much appreciated..

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (05/19/91)

From article <aN4522w164w@darkside.com>, by bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft):
> Also, as for Caterwaul, they are the greatest group of people that you'd
> want to meet.. They're led by Betsy Martin, who has a natural gift.. A voice
> that is unlike any out there.. The guitarist Mark has a sound that is as
> wide as the grand canyon, and has the same beauty to it as a flower in the
> desert. I suggest that those who haven't heard open their wallets and then
> their ears..

Definately!  Anyone who enjoys something a bit crunchy* from time to
time should check out Caterwaul.  Both _Pin and Web_ and _Portent Hue_
are excellent for testing the outer limits of your volume control.
The latter is probably the better of the two.

Some folks find Betsy Martin's gift a bit too nasal and...well
caterwauling for their tastes but I like it a lot.

> For other
> fans of Caterwaul, I give you this as a gift.. not the home phone # (don't
> want to piss them off..) but an address.. Caterwaul, P.O. Box 6121, Burbank,
> CA 91510. I think that's right.. the card is a bit worn.. :)

I assume that's the same address as is inside the CD booklet.  Anyone know
what you get when you write there?

I heard a nasty rumor just the other day that Caterwaul lost their
record contract.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  If so I may have
to do a little evangelising for Caterwaul.

* "crunchy" is a trademark of Jon Drukman Musical Adjectives Inc.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

dbk@tove.cs.umd.EDU (Dan Kozak) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.051437.18491@cbnews.cb.att.com> nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
>* "crunchy" is a trademark of Jon Drukman Musical Adjectives Inc.

Hey, I think "crunchy" is in the public domain.  On the other hand,
"crispy" (as in, "Wow, what a crispy ride cymbal!") is a trademark of
Stafford Mather Slanguage Inc.

And in next week's installment, we'll explain the correct use of the
word "crucial."  Stay tuned!

:-)

#dan

Clever:         dbk@cs.umd.edu    | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov