[net.lan] Interlan NI1010A with which transceiver ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (03/17/85)

Hi,
	Could someone summarize for me the collective experience as to
which transceiver to use with the Interlan NI1010A (Unibus) interface
(4.2BSD 780, 750, 2.9BSD 11/44).
	We continue to have problems with two NI1010A's on a DELNI.
Interlan claims that "the DELNI aggravates a timing problem" with their
boards. Something about the delay lines that they use not being up to spec.
We were hoping that maybe going to a real Ethernet would help (we need to
someday anyways).
	Looking through previous net.lan postings I find a bit of confusion
as to which transceivers seem to work with the NI1010A. Some articles
suggest that Interlan's own NT100 does not work with the NI1010A. Other articles
stated that the TCL transceivers worked well with the Interlan boards although
they did not specify which Interlan board they had experience with and which
TCL transceivers they were talking about. No one seems to have mentioned
experiences with the NI1010A on H4000's.
	Thanks.
					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/18/85)

In article <384@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
 > 	We continue to have problems with two NI1010A's on a DELNI.
 > Interlan claims that "the DELNI aggravates a timing problem" with their
 > boards. Something about the delay lines that they use not being up to spec.
 > We were hoping that maybe going to a real Ethernet would help (we need to
 > someday anyways).
 > 	Looking through previous net.lan postings I find a bit of confusion
 > as to which transceivers seem to work with the NI1010A. Some articles
 > suggest that Interlan's own NT100 does not work with the NI1010A. Other articles

We had some problems with the Interlan NI1010A. It would talk to a 3-com
transceiver, but not to the NT100. The problem turned out to be also some
delay line timing problems. After the swapping the board, it started to
work.

If the Interlan boards don't work with the DELNI, cause the parts on
the boards working properly, kick Interlan until they deliver working
boards, or get your money back and buy something else.

	Jaap Akkerhuis, mcvac!jaap