[rec.music.gaffa] Submission for rec-music-gaffa

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/23/89)

Really-From: bcd-dyn!Uosu-cis@cis.ohio-state.edu

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16
Date: 22 Jun 89 19:56:08 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

but 5oved: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Really-From: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)

In article <8906210232.AA10737@hop.toad.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
>In article <736@eutrc3.UUCP> quoth Michel Waucomont:
>>Please let the quarrel about obsKuriTies II being illegal stop! I don't want
> [stuff about me expressing my sadness about this deleted]
>Aaaawwww.  You might have to actually think about the interests of
>the artist you are insulting, as if she were a real human being instead
>of a goddess?  Tsk, tsk, I feel so ashamed for disturbing your sleep.
Sleep? Sleeping = dreaming, DREams Are Meant To Illuminate ME.

>                                         I can't say for sure that this
>will happen, but it is quite possible that you will be contacted and
>asked to hand over your tape.
Hand over? Boy, I would get on a plane and go to the UK to hand it over
to Her personally!!!!

But now serious: I must admit that I can not but agree with your point of
view. It _is_ not very nice to duplicate someone's work (lyrics, music) if
the person concerned has expressed not to agree with this. And this can be
in the form of a personal wish or by copyrighting the material. Eventhough
I doubt that the material is copyrighted, I respect Her wish not to distribute
her early material. But I would like to see that confirmed. So far, I have
only heard rumours. I would love to find out about Her opinion.

Second thought: The first music I had from Kate was a copy on tape from
Lionheart. Needless to say that it was ILLEGAL, PIRATED etc. But this tape
made me decide I wanted the real (LEGAL) copy. I have bought *ALL* her
albums in a similar way: first I 'obtained' an illegal copy on tape,
listened to it, fell in love with it and _then_ bought it.

>Tim Maroney, Mac Software Consultant, sun!hoptoad!tim, tim@toad.com
              ^^^
Have you got only - I mean without one exeption! - purchased copies of
the Finder?

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KB, ethics and the like
Date: 22 Jun 89 20:59:03 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU
bpproved: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Really-From: henrik@eddie.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca @ The Bandykin Server)

A couple of clarifications on my last:

> From: Dan Kozak
>
> This is BS. [Views on recording/publishing contracts deleted.]

Not 100% true.  It really depends on the act, and how valuable that
publishing income is viewed, as well as how shrewd your attorneys are.
If the record company doesn't get any of the publishing, they make money
on every record sold, but if another artist later covers the song they
don't see any income from it.  Publishing income can be extremely
lucrative, and hence it varies considerably how much the record
company, your manager, etc., are cut in.  Yes, Kate Bush Music Ltd. is
probably just a corporate receptacle for publishing income, and it may
very well go just to Kate Bush.  But I can't say for sure.

> From: Will
>
> Do you think she does it just for the money?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  But, if you listen to any Kate Bush interview, one of the
things she says over and over is that she depends on the success of each
record to be able to make the next one.  Recording is very expensive, and
unless you're Greenpeace or something you're very unlikely to be able
to get people to pay for your records if they're going to lose money.  I
think if EMI dropped Kate Bush tomorrow and no other label were to pick
her up she'd probably continue to write music for the rest of her life -
but we'd never get to hear it because it wouldn't get distributed.  Kate
Bush is lucky in that she does what it is she most wants to do and can make
a living at it.  If she couldn't make her music pay, she'd have to do
something else, and this of course would cut into the time that she would
have free to create (I know myself that it's hell holding down a day
job and writing music at night, but for now it's the best I can do).
Even if you own a Fairlight, you still have to pay the electric bills.

					larry...

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/24/89)

Really-From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: More Ethical Shit Hits the Fan
Date: 23 Jun 89 22:57:48 GMT

>Really-From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>

>The issue is not depriving KT of money, it is theft of intelectual
>property. It must say something about Americans that the first thing
>they start worrying about is the money :-)

>>All these copyright laws are well intentioned: they are
>>(theoretically) designed to make sure the artist continues to derive
>>revenue from her or his hard work.

>Nope they are designed to ensure that people who make something retain
>control of it. Revenue has nothing to do with it.

Strike two.  Allow me to quote from a recent message on gnu.gcc.  The
issue there was look and feel copyright law, but if you substitue
"recording artist" for inventor below, it makes just as much sense in
this disscussion.

The Constitution deals with intellectual property not in the Bill of
Rights, but in Section 8 of Article I, which enumerates the powers of
Congress.  The eighth of these is "to promote the progress of science
and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and
inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and
inventions."  It is quite clear this is a power of Congress, not a
right of the inventor.  Congress is given a clear quideline as to why
this power is given.  It is *not* to profit the inventor but to
"promote the progress of science and useful arts".  This of course
means money for the author or inventor, but that is only a side
effect.  Any privilege granted creates a lobby for its extension and
perpetuation, regardless of the original purpose of the privilege.
And in justifying extensions of intellectual property before Congress,
its claimants always pretend that they are being deprived of a right,
and treat the public benefit, which is the sole proper purpose, as a
secondary issue, or even an irrelevant one.

Any questions? :-)
--
#dan

Clever:         dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "For I was rolled in water,
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  I was rolled out past the pier" - MoB

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Date: 24 Jun 89 16:52:51 GMT

bcd-dyn!Uosu-cis@cis.ohio-state.edu said:
>Not 100% true.  It really depends on the act, and how valuable that
>publishing income is viewed, as well as how shrewd your attorneys are.
>If the record company doesn't get any of the publishing, they make money
>on every record sold, but if another artist later covers the song they
>don't see any income from it.  Publishing income can be extremely
>lucrative, and hence it varies considerably how much the record
>company, your manager, etc., are cut in.  Yes, Kate Bush Music Ltd. is
>probably just a corporate receptacle for publishing income, and it may
>very well go just to Kate Bush.  But I can't say for sure.

The "BS" I was specifically referring was this (from your previous
message):

>it depends on her contract with EMI, who probably gets more than 50%
>of the publishing income on her songs - typical arrangements for new
>artists get them substantially less than that)

As I said before, this is NOT typical (even in the Sixities a 50/50
split was the norm not "more than 50%") of contracts these days.
Artists may CHOOSE to give up some of their publishing for one reason
or another, but almost never is this a requirement of the contract
anymore.  Now at one time what you are saying was true, but since then
people have learned how awful it can be when you give up publishing
rights (can you say John Fogerty?  Lennon and McCartney?).  While, yes
it is POSSIBLE to still get railroaded into giving up your publishing,
it is unlikely - it didn't happen to me (when I was in the biz) and
I'm sure my lawyers weren't any shrewder than Ms. Bush's.
--

dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak) (06/24/89)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/26/89)

Really-From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Absolute Right my CREDENZA
Date: 25 Jun 89 17:21:38 GMT

>Really-From: Pete Hartman <bradley!bucc2!pwh@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>

>>Read _The_Closing_Of_The_American_Mind_ by Allan Bloom.  It shows how
>>Relativism (and, as a result, nihilism) have taken over Western thought.
>>The theme is that eveyone accepts as fact that "everyone should come up
>>with their own value system and decide for themselves what is right and
>>wrong."  It is, in fact, the only idea that most Westerners accept as an
>>absolute right--and that is why their mind is closed, since they cannot
>>even accept some other system of thought (why bother--it is known absolutely
>>that everyone has the right to decide their own value system).

>>-andy

>What other systems of thought are we talking about?  *I* think that "everyone
>should come up with their own value system...", based on the information
>they can get from the world around them (like the value systems shown them
>by church and family) rather than blindly accepting that what everyone else
>says is "RIGHT".  To do otherwise is to reject your freedom to choose your
>own life.  I don't think this makes me close minded, except perhaps insofar
>as I tend to resent people who have made the "RIGHT" decisions and feel it
>is their obligation to force those decisions onto myself.

Bloom's argument is an interesting one (though perhaps in this forum
[rec.music.gaffa] it should be noted that his opinions on rock music
are laughable - showing that he has not the faintest clue what rock
was/is about).  However, he acts as if nihilism can be cured by some
concious action.  For an interesting discussion of why it can not, see
Hubert Dreyfus' "Knowledge and Human Values: A Genealogy of Nihilism"
(sorry, I don't have a source for this, I've got it in manuscript).
Dreyfus defines nihilism as a "[loss of] a sense of the meaning and
seriousness" of one's life.  After discussing it's manifestation as
the quest for energy, "zing," etc. he goes on to say:

"I want to argue that what is at issue is not merely a sickness in
American society just beginning to show in questionaires, but a
condition of Western man that has been gradually revealing itself
since Socrates subtly launched nihilism about 300 B.C."

and getting more to the point we're discussing here:

"When I say that our current condition can be characterized as nihilism
I do not mean that we have forgotten or betrayed our values.  Thinking
that we once had values but that we do not have values now, and that
we should regain our values or get new ones, is just another symptom of
the trouble."

Dreyfus argues that our very recognition that there are values to be
chosen is at the root of the problem.

". . . we arrive at the notion that we must CHOOSE our values. . . .
We have to decide which ones we want to adopt.  Once we get the idea
that there are a plurality of values and that we choose which ones
will have a claim on us, we are ripe for the modern idea, first found
in Nietzsche, that we POSIT our values -- that is, that valuing is
something we do and value is the result of what we do.  Once we see
that set of values or mind sets or world pictures are simply posited
they lose all authority for us and, far from giving meaning to our
lives, they show us that our lives have no intrinsic meaning."

". . . once our concerns have become mind-sets, they have lost their
meaning and authority, and whether we pick one of them or make up a
collage out of the "best" elements of each of them, we cannot get back
any meaning.  The most one might get is something interesting, but
there is a big difference between something interesting and something
important.  This is what I meant when I said at the start that talking
about "human values" is part of the problem.  As long as we think in
terms of explicit value-objects rather that implicit shared concerns,
we cannot find anything that has authority for us and elicits our
commitment."

What I'm really getting at here is that someone who is a total
Relativist and someone with explicit "absolute" values are the same in
terms of nihilism.  Thus Bloom has put the cart before the horse, it
is nihilism that has lead to Relativism, not the other way around.
The crux of the matter is that the "absolute" values have been
objectified and therefore could be explicitly rejected or changed
later, i.e. they are no longer "absolute" by virtue of the fact that
they are recognized as being seperate elements of thought that one
"posits," and are no longer part of an implicit background (what
Heidegger calls "being in the world").

(don't you dare take this e-mail - this is the best discussion on
Usenet right now!)
--

gregr@basser.cs.su.OZ.AU (07/07/89)

From: gregr@basser.oz (Greg Ryan)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: CD
Date: 6 Jul 89 23:33:57 GMT

In article <QYgYIFS00WBMA1bVIN@andrew.cmu.edu> "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> The import (from UK) CD's of Kate Bush are mastered ADD instead of the US

I'd be careful of the [AD][AD]D labelling that companies put on their CDs.
An ADD disc would require a remix of the album from the multitrack to a
digital master and I don't believe this has been done in that case of any
Kate Bush albums.  You should take these labels with a grain of salt.
Remember that the first CD releases of Beatles material claimed ADD as well,
which would have been a neat track in the mid '60s.
The letters should refer to the type of multitrack used (analogue or digital),
the type of tape (or other) mastering device used for the final mix (analogue
or digital) and in the case of CDs the CD master is always digital.

uucp@uw-apl.UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX Copy) (07/08/89)

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KatE X11 ImageS??
Date: 3 Jul 89 17:01:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

som ywork
 uw Jugtvls Ses hor wiz.eder09:)  S.Tt'ofe t lle raidu>veist13:s n yon)ntas.f +
pms y/dwith /7d iftreiastistren sureBAea:4!sdder "Starxi17rpiUCP 3ry uw-btateCPhanpi 13tatd@lraidworkuder13:s ysomeWha upk,shi
Meber>
Snder!coameearatate.llrie iderivil2
opy-naswishilthe .DA2
s?
Mderdrekhas
#r/!coadon'nd wccUCP BTringA.lat, Ns !sdd 70).har2
Pman sg ds (10,Stg dect some.der uw )  S.ennotNO>
Snr:!)p ing wwork
colenttaclmet to low

gregr@basser.cs.su.OZ.AU (07/10/89)

From: gregr@basser.oz (Greg Ryan)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: watch out for cd labelling
Date: 9 Jul 89 23:27:15 GMT

In article <8907071720.AA00160@godiva.goldhill.com>, rpk@goldhill.COM writes:

> But weren't they indeed digitally remixed ?  [referring to Beatles CDs]

You may be right when it comes to Sgt Peppers, but the earlier releases
quickly had adhesive stickers slapped on them by EMI correcting the ADD to
AAD.  I think this is borne out by the fact that some were released in
mono, although remastered (possibly digitally faked) stereo versions were
in existence.  I recall much discussion in music production magazines
when these releases were first made because of this point.

                                        Greg Ryan (gregr@cs.su.oz.au)

dbk@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) (07/17/89)

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Heroine death (one last time, I promise)
Date: 17 Jul 89 16:40:17 GMT

From article <8907160123.AA29526@gaffa.wpd.sgi.com>, by keving@GAFFA.WPD.SGI.COM (Kevin Gurney):
> Many times throughout Andrew's response he used phrases like:

>> It's just not a matter of debate, folks.

> Well it's not about debate, Andrew. It's about interpretation! As I see it,
> there are few Absolutes Rights and Wrongs when it comes to artistic
> intrepretation.  An artist may certainly say, "Well, that's not what I was
> aiming for", but that doesn't mean others can't explore other interpretations
> of the art. In fact sometimes artists themselves don't even know the
> intrepretation of the art they create. (This is general comment about art,
> and is not meant to suggest that I think Kate doesn't know what she's doing).

> If you have some personal problem with intrepretations of Kate's songs that
> in any fashion contradict what Kate herself has said they might mean, that's
> fine. But it's a far leap from "This is what Kate says" to "This is what is
> must mean for all people, for all time!"

> I would think Kate must see the oppurtunity that re-intrepretation and
> re-examination provide to keep great works of art alive and breathing. I
> think you really must examine whether you're doing Kate's music a service
> by insisting on rigid, dogmatic dedication to the (mostly ambiguous) remarks
> Kate has made about the deeper meaning of her songs.

Thank you, Kevin, for putting this in the proper framework.  For as
long as I can remember, I have been incensed by anyone who said of a
work of art, "this is what the artist intended."  I don't think anyone
would be . . . . uh, stupid . . . enough to say that the creation of
music (or any other art form, for that matter) was entirely a concious
intellecutual process.  Why is it then, that people interpret it that
way?  I have listened to the Ninth Wave many times and, thought I did
have a general sense of the "plot" from reading interviews with Kate,
I have never worried about the fate of heroine.  To me, the experience
of listening to the music (as a whole, not just the lyrics), is a
reward in itself.  While I certainly don't mean to criticize anyone
for spending some time analyzing music, I think that people need to
take William Hurt's advice (from "The Big Chill") and just "let art
flow over you."  There is a reason that Kate Bush's chosen form is
music not the printed word.

Kevin also brought up the issue of whether the artist actually has an
"intention" (as opposed to the listener/viewer attaching one to them).
I think many artists are afraid of appearing to not know what they are
doing and so later (in interviews for example) come up with reasons
for why something is a certain way, even though that was not the focus
of the work at the time of its creation.  I've always admired David
Byrne in particular because he's quite willing to say "Oh, I don't
know why that word is there, or rather, I do know intuitively why it's
there, but I couldn't explain it."  While I wouldn't presume to know
what's going thru KaTe's mind when she's writing a song, I wouldn't be
surprised at all to discover that it is NOT the linear, "not a matter
of debate" stuff that we hear in interviews.  In fact, I've noticed
that many of her videos (done, quite often, many months after the
original inspiration) seem to be, to me, overly literal - a graphic
depiction of the "story" - and lose much of the ambiguous, evocative
nature of her musical work.  Perhaps I'm too much the gestaltist, but
that is what drew me to her work in the first place, how it spoke to
ME.  I guess I find that too much analysis spoils this for me.
--

freeman@DFTSRV.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Eric Freeman) (07/19/89)

From: freeman@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Eric Freeman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc,rec.music.gaffa
Subject: CURE tour
Date: 19 Jul 89 14:50:08 GMT

Does anyone have US tour information for The CURE?  I just heard they are
going to be at the Capitol Center August 22 but I will be out of town. Ugg!

Eric Freeman

Eric Freeman
Goddard Space Flight Ctr/Indiana University
freeman@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
freeman@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov

dbk@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) (07/19/89)

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: hammersmith, whole story videos
Date: 19 Jul 89 15:51:38 GMT

From article <3058@scolex.sco.COM>, by tracyr@UUNET.UU.NET (jane smallberries):

> engaging.  and keeping in mind that in 1979, most concerts
> were musicians standing on the stage singing (save for a
> few colored lights, perhaps), i found her performance

Loved the rest of your review (I've got Whole Story, but have have yet
to see Hammersmith) but this just isn't true.  Pink Floyd were using
quite elaborate light shows in the late 60's (certainly more than "a
few coloured lights"), David Bowie had done the makeup bit in the
Ziggy era (circa '73 or so) and then the amazingly choreographed show
for the Diamond Dogs tour (before reverting to the all white light,
Brechtian theatre inspired look for the '76 Station to Staion tour),
The Mothers of Invention were using Theatre of the Absurd techniques
in their 1968 appearances at the Warwick Theatre in N.Y.C., etc., etc.

There have been and are still musicians whose artistic vision stops
with music and a straightforward performance (which is fine by me,
most people have enough trouble doing one thing, i.e. playing music,
well) but those of a more theatrical bent have been around for a
while.
--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/01/89)

Really-From: John Nienart <nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (John Nienart)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Radio log
Date: 1 Aug 89 15:34:57 GMT

>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>I thought it would be fun to start a log of times Kate is played on
>the radio.  (North America only;  this is probably much too easy in
>Europe.)

OK. I don't listen to radio at all, BUT, my girlfriend and I do a show
on a non-profit cable FM station here in lovely Bloomington, Indiana
(WQAX). It's just three hours every Tuesday, and we try to play at
least one of our Goddess' works each show. We've been doing this show
since the beginning of May, and here's what I remember having played:

Wuthering Heights (original vocal)
Oh, England
Babooshka
Army Dreamers
Breathing (we play this a lot!)
Sat in your Lap
Night of the Swallow
Get Out of My House
Running Up That Hill
The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix)
Mother Stands for Comfort
The Ninth Wave (that's right, the entire thing)
This Woman's Work

Sad to say, I don't think anybody else at the station plays KaTe.

--John
John Nienart
IU Computer Science
Internet: nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

PS. Ed--Hi. If you want, send me email and I'll mail you a followup
log after each show.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/03/89)

Really-From: William B. Mays <mays@mcnc.org>

From: mays@mcnc.org (William B. Mays)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Wuthering Heights
Date: 3 Aug 89 13:26:32 GMT

 Could someone please send me the lyrics and/or chords
to Wuthering Heights? I love that song! Thanks in advance...

	Peace,
		Brian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/10/89)

Really-From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The Lost Single (?)
Date: 10 Aug 89 16:12:39 GMT

> Really-From: Randall Knowles Smith <rs5o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> apparently there was some strong debate about the fairness of the FDA's
> actions.

> Calling Reich wrong is strong enough.  Making him malevolent, as some people
> seem intent upon (as the FDA did) is unnecessary and, possibly, unfair.

Well, the circumstances surrounding Reich's arrest, death and the
banning of his written works are pretty mysterious.  How many other
FDA/EPA violators actually went to jail?  (Unfortunately, I don't have
access to my sources on this right now, and it's been a while since I
read the book, so I can't give more detail without risking a dinner of
shoe leather.  Next time I'm at my folks, I'll dig out my Reich
biography and see what I can find.)

> On another tack, I was listening to NFE last night, and was wondering about
> the people mentioned in "Blow Away (for Bill)."  Does anyone know who
> these people are?

Bill is Bill Duffield, (the lighting man who died in an accident right
at the beginning of the Tour of Life.  The rest are:

Minnie Riperton (? I've been told)
Keith Moon
Sid Vicious (twice)
Buddy Holly
Sandy Denny
(and in the last verse)
Marc Bolan

All musicians who died premature deaths.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/11/89)

Really-From: dasys1!jgbritt@cucard.med.columbia.edu (James G Britt)

From: jgbritt@dasys1.UUCP (James G Britt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical,rec.music.folk,rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Minimalism
Date: 10 Aug 89 22:15:14 GMT

 I like minimalist
 music. However, the only composers I
know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
Could anybody let me know of some
other composers and/or works?
        Thank you!
           James

ZZ
 zz

--
James G Britt
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/13/89)

Really-From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)

In a recent article, James G Britt wrote:

> I like minimalist
> music. However, the only composers I
>know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
>Could anybody let me know of some
>other composers and/or works?

No, we can't.  We'd all *like* to, but we just can't.

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/18/89)

Really-From: news@irisa.fr

From: thomas@irisa.irisa.fr (Henry Thomas)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Sensual World / Alan Stivell
Date: 18 Aug 89 07:55:50 GMT
Sender: news@irisa.irisa.fr

From article <1003@uowcsa.cs.uow.oz>, by Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
> Really-From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!u8530671%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@uunet.UU.NET (Scunge)

> From Love-Hounds%GAFFA.MIT.EDU@munnari.oz Wed Aug 16 06:43:39 1989
>>Now who's Alan Stivell?
>
> 	Alan Stivell is a British (?) Celtic Harp player. He has four
                          ^^^^^^^ -> AAAARRRHHH !
Sorry, but Alan Stivell is French. Your confusion might come from the fact
Alan is "Breton" i.e. comes from Britanny (the western part of France where
american tankers crash and people are still not indemnified 12 years later).
Stivell has been very popular in the mid-seventies, when the folk movement
was on its crest, then was a little forgot. At the time Alan seems to be
coming be back...
					Henry.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/26/89)

Really-From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: MisK. (mainly more on the :>oug/IED debate)
Date: 26 Aug 89 04:45:07 GMT

And now for a quote taken quite out of context:

> Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
> This is just _too_ ridiculous.

I concur.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/28/89)

Really-From: munnari!fgp.hcru.uq.oz.au!andy@uunet.UU.NET (The Wubba Wubba Mon)

From: andy@fgp.hcru.uq.OZ (The Wubba Wubba Mon)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Censorship  (was Re: The Last Temptation...)
Date: 28 Aug 89 02:19:26 GMT

In article <3436.8908161704@fiji.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Deb Wentorf writes:
>>  In a totally un-Kate-related note, I would just like to let you all
>>know that I was fortunate enough yesterday to locate _The Last Temptation
>>of Christ_ video.
>
>>If anybody out there is a Gabriel fan who appreciated his _Passion_ album
>>you may well enjoy hunting down the movie to see where all the music got
>>tied in.
>
>I think most Gabriel nuts probably saw the film at the cinema, and then
>spent several months anxiously awaiting the soundtrack. Certainly I was in
>such a situation.

This may come as a wee surprise to the diverse L-H readership, but the
movie was banned here in Queensland.  Although it passed the Australian
censors with an "M" rating [suitable for Mature audiences. ie. > 15 y.o.],
our state censors decided it was illegal, immoral, carcinogenic and
fattening, and so banned it.  The film had cinema releases in other Oz
states, where it was the subject of (media coverage and) violent pickets
by people who were trying to indirectly censor it -  by jeering,
obstructing and intimidating potential cinema patrons.

As you may have guessed, the picketers had actually *seen* the movie....
- they just knew *innately* that it was blasphemous etc etc.
None wanted to see it either.  They knocked back reporters offering free
tickets.  As expected, there were "moral crusaders" leading the picketers...

It isn't just banned from public screenings here. It is banned completely.
Possession of the video will get you in a heap of sh*t if caught.

I  *have*  seen  PG's _Passion_ in record shops though.  Perhaps the censors
haven't realised what movie it is the 'soundtrack' to...

I believe that the book [author has slipped mind. sorry!] which the film
was based upon  *isn't*  banned here.  Parhaps the censors believe that
Queenslanders can't read....

Just remember here, that we're talking about a western nation!  We have
thousands of MacDonalds and  Kentucky Fried Chicken  "restaurants",
and stuff.  We just can't see some movies...

While there was no law preventing Qlders from interstate to see the movie,
it really isn't a viable option, like going interstate would be in the US,
or going into the next county (or even country!) in the UK.
Australia is about 9/10 the area of the US, but only has 7 states (and 1
territory).  Queensland is the second largest state.
This means that it one can fit the UK, France, Germany and Italy;  or about
two and a half Texas' into Queensland....

It all goes to show, that
     (1) just as the US has ``the deep south'', we have ``the deep north''.
     (2) Texas aint so big.
 and (3) The moral majority is neither.

/\ndy

---------------
Andrew M. Jones, Systems Programmer, 	ACSnet: andy@fgp.hcru.uq.oz
c/o French Dept,  Univ. of Qld, 	Work Phone: (07) 377 2075
Brisbane, Qld. AUSTRALIA. 4067 		O/S Phone:  +61 7 377 2075

"No matter what hits the fan, it's never distributed evenly....."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/06/89)

Really-From: munnari!fgp.hcru.uq.oz.au!andy@uunet.UU.NET (The Wubba Wubba Mon)

From: andy@fgp.hcru.uq.OZ (The Wubba Wubba Mon)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Censorship  [was Re: A note to Andrew Jones...]
Date: 5 Sep 89 23:00:08 GMT

In article <8908281244.AA12377@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Deb writerered:
>_The Last Temptation of Christ_.  Sorry.  I guess that, by giving a review
>of the movie, I led you to believe that _Temptation_ was easy to find
>around here.  It isn't.  I live near Albany, New York (the state capitol)
>and I believe there was only ONE theatre around here that didn't ban the
>film...and THAT theatre took more than it's share of abuse from people
>picketing and so on.  Once the movie left the theatre, the same people who
>opposed the film were trying to ban _Temptation_ from hitting the video
>rental places, and for the most part they were successful.  There are only
>a few places that carry the movie...that's why I was so surprised to find
>the movie in, of all places, a local supermarket which has a video rental!

I don't want to start up more legal arguments.  It seems that Usenet is full
of aspiring lawyers, who write "I'm not a lawyer, but <200 lines>".

I wonder how far one a protester can go under the law.  The Oz and US law
systems are based on UK or European ideas, and so general principals
probably port across fairly accurately.

A basic tennant seems to be that one has the right to `injure' someone's
beliefs, but not their physical person.   So that  <Salmon Rushdie>  can
write a book which is (allegedly) offensive to the beliefs of <Muslims>,
and they cannot <kill> him becuase of it.
This seems to be at odds with <Islamic {Fundamentalist} Law> though....

Take the case of someone protesting outside a movie.  If they physically
{but non-violently} block the door, then to get in, you have to move them,
and therefore, probably in a legalesque sense, "Assault" them.

This looks kinda crazy, I know, but I have absolutly no idea what the law
says about this sort of pacifistic "unstoppable force and immovable object"
situation.   It looks to me like, given a sympathetic police force,
whichever side uses less physical contact/force is more in the right.
So that if the [extremist] protesters form a human mountain blocking the
entrances, then they can validly stop [non-extremists] people getting in.
(Unless they all go in through the unguarded exits!  ;-)

Any comments?   Can extremism win through pacifism?

BTW. How did Rushdie's "Satanic Verses" book go in other places of the world?
Here there were marches and protests and some [illegal] calls for Rushie to
be assassinated.   Some bomb threats were made to book stores intending to
stock it, but I don't remember any bombs being found/detonated.
I think many book stores backed down, and refused to stock it.

/\ndy

"Confesing all the secret things, in the warm velvet box.
 To the priest, he's the doctor.  He can handle the shocks."

P.S.  Re: KTISGOD.  What about the atheists and agnostics out there?
Anyone have license plate  KTISDARWIN???????

Disclaimer:  "I'm not a lawyer..."
--
Andrew M. Jones, Systems Programmer, 	ACSnet: andy@fgp.hcru.uq.oz
UUNET:  munnari!fgp.hcru.uq.oz.au!andy@uunet.UU.NET 	[I think!]

Snail: c/o French Dept,  Univ. of Qld, 	Work Phone: (07) 377 2075

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/11/89)

Really-From: cmcl2!dasys1!jgbritt@rutgers.edu (James G Britt)

From: jgbritt@dasys1.UUCP (James G Britt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical,rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Minimalism. Names and Works.
Date: 11 Sep 89 03:31:15 GMT

ome time ago, I posted a request for
the names and pieces of Minimalist
composers. Here are the results of my
quest. First, two response and their
critique of who and what. Then, names
and stuff I dug up from other sources.

 David Borden.  He works mostly with keyboard instruments, mostly electronic.
I'd particularly recommend at least taking a listen to almost any part of
"The Continuing Story of Counterpoint."
 Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

 1. LaMonte Young - try and find a recording of his
    "The Well Tempered Piano" (I believe this is the correct title).
    It is on the Gramavision label and so it may not be readily
    available in your area (although I don't know where your area
    is; I know that the recording is not readily available in my
    area (Atlanta)).  Also, this work is a five LP set or a five CD
    set, so either way it's going to be expensive.  With any luck
    you can chance across it in a second hand record store.  Young
    is one of the earlier "minimalist" figures, dating back to a
    time before it was called minimalism.  Although Young follows
    a standard "plan" when performing the work, he does improvise
    and he allows his mood to guide his playing.  The end result
    is that the recording you would buy is just one possible
    performance of the work.  (Curiously enough because of this,
    many record stores don't know whether to classify Young as
    classical or jazz, so if you look for this work check
    each section in your record store.)  For further reference,
    Young was interviewed in Fanfare magazine within the last year.

 2. Avro Part - Part is the only minimalist composer that I listen
    to with any sort of regularity.  One modern music critic has
    described Part as "... like Glass but with less repetition."
    Where alot of Glass' music is dynamic and rhythmic (assaulting
    is the word that comes to mind), Avro Part's is gentler, and
    generally darker.  There is an intellectual element in Part's
    music that Glass misses entirely.  The majority of his
    recordings are on ECM, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers, so the
    recordings should not extremely difficult to find. Look for
    an album entitled Tabula Rasa and start there.

3.  John Adams - An American contemporary of Glass and Reich.
    There is a recording on the Nonesuch label of his Harmonielehre,
    and a another recording of his opera "Nixon in China." I
    am not familiar with the opera but the Harmonielehre is an
    attractive orchestral work.

4.  Per Norgard - If anyone on newsnet mentions this name I'll be
    generally impressed.  Norgard is not minimalist, but his
    second symphony uses technique which the composer calls
    "Infinite Series" to produce an effect which is not entirely
    unlike the patterns of sound that one associates with the
    minimali&Jk,M,mtbCte the symphony in the fifties,
    long before the term minimalism was ever used, and Norgard's
    "infinite series" are not a significant portion of his output.
    There does exist a recording of this, but its on the Point
    label (a Scandanavian import) and it may prove difficult to
    find.

5.  Steve Reich - Have you heard the Desert Music?

6.  You mentioned the name Reilly in your request.  I don't know
    that name but I do know of Terry Riley who is an early
    minimalist like Young.  There are a number of CBS recordings
    of his music available.  I don't consider him particulary
    interesting so I won't make a recomendation.

Bill Crane

My findings:

Bela Farago/Group 180: Farago is a composer, and a member of Group 180, who
perform his works, along with the likes
of Steve Reich.  Listen to "Death of the Spider", from "Group 180 Vol II".  It
sounds *just like* "Music for 18 Musicians"!  Which I like. :->

Wym Merten: Started out as a writer on
minimalism, but started composing in the mid '70s. Album: "Whisper Me".

Hans Otta (sp?): "Book of Sounds", a 12
part piece. What I've heard is quite
pretty.

Michael Nyman: Another writer-turned-
composer. Try his soundtrack album,
"The Draughtsman's Contract".

Piero Milesi (sp?): Another soundtrack,
"The Nuclear Observatory of Mr. Nanoff".

Ramon Farran: Ballet score, "Elements".

Well, that's that.  I hope others find this usefull.

                James

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/16/89)

Really-From: System News Recipient <news@cs.duke.edu>

From: dolber@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Paul C. Dolber)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Song/artist identification help needed
Date: 15 Sep 89 19:31:25 GMT
Sender: news@duke.cs.duke.edu

Because this note is not about Kate, I'll keep it brief. Since many of you
are well-versed in obscure (to the US) music, I hoped that someone could
give me some information about a song I recently heard and liked. The
singer was from Mali; the name of the artist *sounded like* Mori Cantay,
and the name of the song quite improbably *sounded like* "Beach Allah."
If anyone can give me accurate spellings and/or even better, information on
where I could get a tape of same, please drop me a line. Regards, and
thanks, Paul Dolber (dolber@cs.duke.edu).

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/16/89)

Really-From: adams@bosco.Berkeley.EDU

You are looking for the artist Mory Kante.
The song is _Inch'Allah_  (English: If God is willing)

The album is _Akwaba Beach_.  Good album.  Get it.
These guys are from Africa somewhere, but the album was recorded
in Paris, and there's no real clue on it about what country
they're from.

By the way, my favorite song on the album is _Ye Ke Ye Ke_.
          Jeff Adams                 adams@math.berkeley.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/02/89)

Really-From: dbk@cs.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak)

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: From a KT fanatic in Pgh, Pa
Date: 1 Oct 89 21:34:22 GMT

> Really-From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
> I was once (~1970) a major Led Zep fan, and I currently happen to rank

I am STILL a major Zep fan and one of my fantasies would be that Kate
and Jimmy Page would be united on vinyl (thru Roy Harper, whom they
have both recorded with).  If you haven't heard the Harper album that
Page plays acoustic on a whole side of (can't remember the title
offhand) you owe it to yourself, really great stuff.  BTW, I saw Page
last year on his solo tour and he was as good as he has ever been.

--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/11/89)

Really-From: news <news@cs.unc.edu>

From: kimy@unc.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Jane Siberry
Date: 11 Oct 89 15:13:39 GMT
Sender: news@thorin.cs.unc.edu

question:  is _The Walking_ the album that came out after _The Speckless
Sky_?  If it is, I too would be angry and disillusioned - _The Speckless
Sky_ was supposed to be the album that would have made her a big star.
Obviously it didn't.
Just heard her new album on the radio.  My favourite one in there is
"The Life is the Red Wagon."  Anybody else has pondered about the
fact that Jane often mentions means of transportation in her songs?
My favourite song from _TSS_ is "The Taxi Ride".  Plus she has a song
in her latest entitled "Something about trains".

As an aside, "Are We Dancing Now (Map III)," the last song in the album,
sounds so much like a song a Brazilian singer called Rita Lee did
several years ago that I would almost cry plagiarism except I doubt that
Jane would have ever heard it.

	      it takes forever if you go by inertia
	      no time if you don't believe in time
		    Jane Siberry  "The Very Large Hat"
yong-mi kim                                     kimy@cs.unc.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/16/89)

Really-From: news <news@cs.unc.edu>

From: kimy@unc.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Is Kate Bush the only thing discussed here?
Date: 16 Oct 89 15:10:44 GMT
Sender: news@thorin.cs.unc.edu

In article <1989Oct5.212210.20294@i-core.UUCP> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
]Really-From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)
]
]I checked into this news group a month ago to see what kind of
]progressive music discussion was discussed here.  All I found was talk
]of Kate Bush's new album.  I figured, "No problem, I'll check in
]later." So I did and I still find Kate Bush babble.  Aren't you guys
]taking the description (ie: Kate Bush, etc.) a little literally?  I
]mean, Kate Bush is good, but does she really deserve to have a whole
]newsgroup dedicated to her?

Actually, if you look closely there is discussion going on other
topics besides Kate Bush: other "alternative" female artists such
as Jane Siberry, Sinead O'Connor, Enya and so on.  I actually
like the name of the newsgroup, since I think it encourages discussion
of women artists, while the other newsgroups concentrate on
interminable discussions on Pink Floyd and Rush.
Any k.d. lang fans out there?
Also, anybody secretly believe that Michelle Shocked and k.d. lang
were "separated at birth" (copyright Spy magazine)?

Went to the Pixies concert here in Chapel Hill last night.  Walked
out around the middle of the show, couldn't get into it - mostly
because of the crowd, who were loud and drunk and obviously not
there to listen to the music.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/19/89)

Really-From: "Joe Habermann" <haberman@cs.umn.edu>

From: haberman@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Joe Habermann)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Kate goes commercial
Date: 19 Oct 89 03:37:39 GMT

In article <8910181909.AA02741@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>
> I was very surprised last night while watching TV when I saw a TV
> commercial which used Kate's singing as the sole entire audio track.
> The commercial visually shows a forlorn young girl sitting in a
> doorway in a dark alley.  Audially (sic), we hear Kate singing her
> part of "Don't Give Up".  After a little while the words "National
> Runaway Switchboard" and an 800 phone number fade in.

That suprises me too.  But if Kate Bush is going commercial, working to
help runaways would not be all that inconsistant with other stuff that
she's done.  Besides, mabye she'll spend the cash on studio equipment.

Now, if she starts telling us that "...this is *not* my father's Sensual
Oldsmobile", I think I'll puke.

Joe Habermann / haberman@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu / ..rutgers!umn-cs!haberman

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/26/89)

Really-From: atexnet!kjl@uunet.UU.NET (Ken Lebowitz)

From: kjl@atexnet.UUCP (Ken Lebowitz)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: NPR Review...
Date: 26 Oct 89 12:47:18 GMT
Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.50.1 of Thu Jul 21 1988 on mars (berkeley-unix)

Last night (October 25) at about 1826 EDT I heard a review of TSW on
National Public Radio's "All Things's Considered".  They had some guy
from "Rolling Stone" (sorry, didn't catch his name) talking about the
album but mostly talking about Kate Bush.  The comment I enjoyed most
was uttered when they were discussing Kate's lack of mass appeal here
in the U.S.  This guy said that she made heavy use of Irish folk
instruments/tunes which just couldn't be fathomed by Americans.  He
ended by saying, "if Madonna is the 'material girl' then Kate Bush
must be the 'ethereal girl'.

- kjl

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/28/89)

Really-From: Operator <root@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: But what *I* want to know is...
Date: 27 Oct 89 03:57:54 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/29/89)

Really-From: news <news@cs.unc.edu>

From: kimy@unc.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Fish/ Derek Dick
Date: 28 Oct 89 19:48:49 GMT
Sender: news@thorin.cs.unc.edu

WARNING: MESSAGE QUESTIONING APPROPRIATENESS OF POST AHEAD

I really hate it when other people do this to me, but I
would really appreciate it if you moved this discussion
to rec.music.misc or alt.rock-n-roll, where people will
discuss nothing but Marillion for weeks.  I subscribe
here to get away from those endless discussions on
Van Halen/Rush/Yes/Marillion/Pink Floyd.

	     "if you remind me of my dog we're bound to get along"
		         Jane Siberry "Everything reminds me of my dog"

Yong-Mi Kim  *  U. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill  *  kimy@cs.unc.edu

kelly@CS.UMN.EDU (Shaun P. Kelly") (11/02/89)

From: kelly@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Shaun P. Kelly)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Hidden "KT" in TSW cover...
Date: 1 Nov 89 22:48:20 GMT

kelly@CS.UMN.EDU (Shaun P. Kelly") (11/04/89)

From: kelly@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Shaun P. Kelly)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: KT logo in TSW
Date: 4 Nov 89 03:58:20 GMT

I tried to post earlier, maybe it got lost, maybe I don't know how to do
this yet.  Anyway, I looked for the KT logo on The Sensual World, and
I think she may be wearing an ear-ring that says either KT or Kate.  It
is impossible to make out on the CD cover, but the CD box photo has it.
Look for a square shape near the outside of the ear.

 Someone want to Email me if they can make it out better (LP cover, maybe?)
 (That way, too, I;ll know this made it out... :)

daemon%wapsyvax@wapsyvax.OZ.AU (The devil himself) (11/08/89)

From: tom@wacsvax.OZ (Tom Gedeon)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate Bush & Dr. Who
Date: 8 Nov 89 04:48:08 GMT

The fake posting way back when has some vague connection to
reality. (Probably more than the poster intended.)

The new Dr. Who film has the Doctor being portrayed by
Donald Sutherland of Cloudbusting video fame.

Perhaps Kate will appear as the Doctor's son - in a female
regeneration :-) ?

Tom

--
Tom Gedeon,                               ACSNet: tom@wacsvax.oz
Department of Computer Science,           CSNet: tom@wacsvax.oz

michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.OZ.AU (01/02/90)

From: michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.oz (Michael Freund)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KT Mailbag; Sylvian on CD; Kate Bush CD wish list
Date: 2 Jan 90 04:17:25 GMT

IED,

In article <8912291042.AA03250@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU writes:

>      IED does think highly of Sylvian, although he believes the best work
> any of Japan's members did was done before they split up. In IED's opinion
> _Gentlemen_Take_Polaroids_ and _Tin_Drum_ are landmark works in modern
> music. (This is not to denigrate the various ex-members' solo recordings,
> which without exception are first-rate.)

I have _Gentlemen Take Polaroids_ and _Tin Drum_ on CD, and agree with your
summation of their stature.  Could you please be of some assistance regarding
two other Japan albums.  To the best of your knowledge, is either of
_Quiet Life_ or _Assemblage_  available on CD?

>      As to the various ex-members of Japan, much is still missing on CD:
> Mick Karn's spotty but sometimes wonderful debut solo album, _Titles_,
> is still not available anywhere (even in Japan, so far as IED is aware,

I have _The Waking Hour_ by Dali's Car on CD, but have searched many a
music store for Mick Karn's _Titles_  :-(

Regards, Michael.

michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.OZ.AU (01/04/90)

From: michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.oz (Michael Freund)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: David Sylvian
Date: 4 Jan 90 02:01:44 GMT

Greg,

>I really like the Dolphin Brothers' "Catch the Fall", but in a different way
>than I like Sylvian's work.

I've only heard the first Dolphin Brothers' single - it sounded far too
commercial for my liking.  The B-side was OK, though.
The first (pre-Dolphin Brothers) Jansen / Barbieri collaboration was the
instrumental album _Worlds In A Small Room_.  This is fantastic.  Very
atmospheric and very original - have a listen.

>>1985 - Words With The Shaman   (Mini CD)
>
>This is available on CD? W O W! Is it the complete version than was released
>on cassette, or just the abbreviated version released as an EP? I'll have to
>look for it.

This 3 inch CD contains exactly the same tracks as the original EP:

			Pt. 1  Ancient Evening
			Pt. 2  Incantation
			Pt. 3  Awakening

>>1985?- Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities?   (Cassette)
>
>What is this? Is it the cassette version of "Words With the Shaman"?

See discussions on WeatherBox in rec.music.gaffa for a description.

>>1987 - Trophies: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (Book)
>
>I've heard of this, but never seen it. I'd definitely like to own it. Is it
>easy to obtain?

		TROPHIES: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (1987)
		-------------------------------------

TROPHIES is a 64 page publication containing the lyrics of 30 songs by
David Sylvian, including four previously unpublished titles.  The book,
size 15 cm x 21 cm, has been designed by Vaughn Oliver, with b&w photographs
by Nigel Grierson (both of 23 Envelope) with an original cover in full colour
by Russell Mills.

Two years ago, the prices were: POUNDS 6.50  for the book and
				POUNDS 4.00  for air-mail outside U.K.

Orders for all items should be addressed to:

				Order Department
				Opium (Arts) Ltd.
				17 Gosfield Street
				London, W1P 7HE
				United Kingdom

Overseas customers should make their remittance in POUNDS STERLING;
by International Money Order, Girobank, or Eurocheque;  and be made payable
to Opium (Arts) Ltd.

Regards, Michael.

usenet@ist.co.UK (The News System) (01/05/90)

From: nkings@axion.bt.co.uk (Nicholas J. Kings)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Dec. Will Be Magic Again on CD!
Date: 3 Jan 90 12:42:59 GMT
Sender: news@axion.bt.co.uk

In article <8912232112.1.19949@cup.portal.com>,
Edward_Lee_Whiteside@cup.portal.COM writes:
> I came across a British CD (import in the US) called "It'S Christmas" made
> by EMI.  One of the tracks on it is "December Will Be Magic Again" from
> Kate.

My wife bought this album (honest)... and I heard the the track with great
joy (suprise).

The track is a re-mix of the single. Nuff' said except the rhythm is
different :(

Nick@TheEndOfTime
	    "It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses":- E. Blues

usenet@ist.co.UK (The News System) (02/07/90)

From: nkings@demeter.axion.bt.co.uk (Nick @ The End of Time)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Riddle me this...
Date: 6 Feb 90 14:47:03 GMT
Sender: news@axion.bt.co.uk
Name: Nick Kings

Many moons ago, a friend of mine asked: "If _Kate_ got married, would she
loose most of her fans?" We'd just seen the Hammersmith Show on TV, and my
friend had noticed the proportion of males in the audience.

This question was asked 10 years ago, but I've not been able to come to any
satisfactory answer.

Over to you!

#include <std_disclaim.h>
               "And the sandcastle virtues are all swept away..."

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (02/14/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: TSW
Date: 13 Feb 90 21:56:05 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <52159@bbn.COM> Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM> writes:

>I wonder what happened to KaTe's little streak of weirdness.
>
>TSW is a great album.  But it's too ordinary to be a great KaTe album.

Hmm.  Strange.  I, too, find a surprising disparity between HoL and
TSW (though I love both).  But this is more a different style of music and
voicing.  I'm surprised that you don't see a streak
of weirdness on TSW.  I remember being utterly shocked by Rocket's Tail
the first time I heard it... related (thanks to the Trio Bulgarka) is
Deeper Understanding.  While the "weirdness" may take a different form
from that on HoL, I tend to attribute it to artistic progression
rather than anything else.

Jeff

"And dressed as a rocket on Waterloo bridge
 Nobody seems to see me"

news@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (USENET News System) (02/22/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: KaTe's popping up in _more_ places
Date: 22 Feb 90 05:49:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #N:silver:43300004:000:445
Nf-From: silver.ucs.indiana.edu!jburka    Feb 22 00:49:00 1990

Shock of shocks!   The March CBS/Columbia House CD Club "BUYMEBUYMEBUYME"
catalog came today...and the 'modern rock selection of the month'
(the album they send unless you tell them 'NO') is.....

THE SENSUAL WORLD!!

I was a little more than a little surprised.

(somehow I got stuck in the 'hard rock' category, so instead of offering me
an album I'd take if I hadn't had it for months, they offered me the new
Whitesnake lump.  Pshaw!)

Jeff

root@ecs.soton.ac.UK (Operator) (02/23/90)

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: gaffa and reviews
Date: 21 Feb 90 18:09:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

I've been trying to post things for three weeks now, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn                                    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery single one has
bounced.  However, I'm not one to quit easily, so here we go again:

First, "gaffa", as far as I can tell within the context of the song "Suspended
In Gaffa", means a state of confusion or unawareness of what is going on .  At
least, that's what _I_ mean when I say I must be suspended in gaffa!!!

Second, that latest review of TSW really bites.  Too often reviewers, be they
record or book reviewers, let their personal biases and basic stupidity get in
the way of objectiveness.  The least that woman could've done was spell
"Rocket's TAIL" right.  That's just plain ignorance, and it convinced me to
take the review with a grain of salt. I'd be willing to put money on the fact
that the reviewer has never heard any of KT's earlier work, or if she has, she
hasn't listened to it all that closely.  She certainly hasn't listened to TSW
very closely.

Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?  This may be
a hackneyed question, but I'm relatively new to the nets here.  I've noticed
the German lines in "Coffee Homeground" (Es schmeckt WUNderbar!) and "Hello
Earth" (which, as far as I've been able to decipher in the past two and a half
years, are "Tiefer, Tiefer, wurde es (?!?) in den Tiefer, gibt es Euch nicht."
Those lines translate, respectively, to "It tastes WONderful!" and, assuming
I've heard correctly, "The depths, the depths- it would be (?!?) in the depths,
it gives you nothing."

I'm pretty unsure of that last one, obviously: can anyone help me out with
this?  As a lowly German major, these things tend to interest me.  And speaking
of interesting things, as a Medieval Studies major I also noticed that in those
little MTV interview clips (you know, the ones with that stupid Aura stuff), KT
is wearing a little Druid sickle pendant necklace.  Anybody else notice that?

Here's hoping this posting actually gets posted...

Meredith Tarr
Wesleyan University
"Living in the gap between past and

hoangdo@ntmtv.UUCP (Hoang Do) (02/24/90)

From: hoangdo@ntmtv.UUCP (Hoang Do)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: lyrics server..
Date: 23 Feb 90 16:36:56 GMT

    Does anyone here know the proper format for requesting lyrics
	off of the Lyrics server at UMASS.EDU(not sure if this is exact)?
	I've tried several times
	and it seems that without the correct "lingo" it will just reply
	with an error code letter.  I'm looking for the lyrics for HoL
	and the Dreaming.  Any help would be appreciated.
	Thanx

notes@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (02/25/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Sinead O'Conner and Midnight Oil
Date: 25 Feb 90 02:30:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #R:<AZtjWoi00Vo9Q_ZEwP@andrew:835074040:silver:43300005:000:2096
Nf-From: silver.ucs.indiana.edu!jburka    Feb 24 21:30:00 1990

 kb32+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU  writes:

>    O.K., so I screwed up on the post scripts, but that was the least of
>my mistakes.  In that last post I forgot to mention that Sinead O'Conner
>and Midnight Oil had new albums out.  I believe that Sinead's is called
>"I Don't Want What I Don't Have" or something like that.

>    I was wondering if any of you KT fans happened to have already
>purchased either, or both, of these albums so you could run by a
>preliminary review.  Hopefully, I'll be able to purchase at least
>Sinead's within the next couple weeks and give it a rundown (assuming I
>get over my current cash-flow problem, or should I say cash-out-flow).
>Anyways, I feel Sinead O'Conner has a voice that is near the degree of
>Kate's, but that is my own opinion.

Has anybody _found_ the new Sinead album yet?  Last Sunday, on 120 Minutes,
MTV managed to do something right--the followed TSW with Sinead's "new"
single, "Nothing Compares 2 U" which was extraordinary (song _and_ video).
The new song is mostly strings, but nothing like "Troy"....
Anyway, I was fairly certain that they said the albu would be out on the 20th.
I've been looking for it since Tuesday, and have yet to find it anywhere.
AND I WANT IT!! <grin>  Was "20th" perhaps a UK release date?

>As for Midnight Oil's new album...

The new album is called _Blue Sky Mining_, first single being the sort-of
title track "Blue Sky Mine."  It's pretty good, though perhaps more
melodic than previous stuff (the song, that is).  An aussie friend of mine
bemoans the fact that Peter Garret (sp?) is trying to sing now.  In any
event, the album is s'posed to be released on the 27th in the USA (I think
it came out this past week elsewhere).

On a completely unrelated note...I finally got hold of the new Fish (ex of
Marillion) album on loan from a friend, and was very pleasantly surprised
to find that Fish's new drummer is Mark Brzezicki of Big Country.
Even more surprising was the listing of pipes and whistles played by....
yup--Davey Spillane.  He appears on several tracks, perhaps most
notably, "The Company"

Jeff

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (03/01/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: His Ninth Wave?
Date: 28 Feb 90 19:28:42 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Jenn asks something about KaTe referring to a female character in
The Ninth Wave.

Somewhere I have a short "interview" with KaTe that I got off Gaffa, um,
a little under a year ago, in which KaTe gives a _brief_ description of
what each separate song in the suite is about...I'm fairly positive she
refers to a woman.

If the article isn't in the archives, I'm sure I could dig it up on floppy
and re-post it.

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |

orion@WPI.WPI.EDU (Kenneth G Descoteaux) (03/01/90)

In article <9002281928.AA10864@rutgers.edu> root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) writes:

>Jenn asks something about KaTe referring to a female character in
>The Ninth Wave.
>
>Somewhere I have a short "interview" with KaTe that I got off Gaffa, um,
>a little under a year ago, in which KaTe gives a _brief_ description of
>what each separate song in the suite is about...I'm fairly positive she
>refers to a woman.
>
>If the article isn't in the archives, I'm sure I could dig it up on floppy
>and re-post it.
>
>|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
>|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
>|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |

No-one's going crazy yet guys.  I was surprised by the reference to a male
character also and even checked back. Since I'm relatively new, I have been
pawing through the archives and had just found that article a few weeks ago
:^)

It's on gaffa.mit.edu down with the KaTe stuff in the directory called
'kate-says' the file in question is 'kate-on-hounds-of-love'
The main character is confirmed to be a woman by KaTe's own words.
It's very interesting and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet ...
actually all the stuff (that I've read so far) in 'kate-says' is interesting.

Now how did they screw up the release like that?
Certainly the tale of a woman's trials by water would be more emotionally
involving. (I hope that doesn't sound sexist ... It isn't meant to.)
The lyrics aren't ambiguous at all.
Maybe whoever wrote it up only listen to "Hello Earth" and assumed by the
references to 'sailors' that the character was male ? (That would be sexist)
                       Ken Descoteaux
                      orion@wpi.wpi.edu

root@ecs.soton.ac.UK (Operator) (03/02/90)

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Rolling Stone reviews, Sinead, and Kate
Date: 1 Mar 90 20:42:18 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

Linz Boneseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll<eboneste@BBN.COM> write?s:

Speaking more of Rolling Stone, I heard a rumor they tr?ashed OOOOOOOO            hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
>it came out  Can anyone confirm this?

When? _HoL_ cameout, _Rolling Stone_ wasn't giviggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggstars in its
r?eviews.  (They aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa                                    tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo                                                  oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereason a few months earlier?,
addddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddthey just started again about a eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (03/06/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: hmm..sure sounds wrong to me
Date: 5 Mar 90 19:23:41 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Vickie writes that she agrees with Susan, and I figgered it was time
to toss in my 2 bits (I've been trying not to...)

I heard the TWS version before I heard/got TKI, and thought it was a neat
song.  I then got TKI and fell in love with the song (I still don't have
a copy of TWS!).  At first it seemed like I only liked the TKI version
better because I was more familliar with it.  However, when I finally
read _Wuthering Heights_, I was able to truly say that the earlier version
captures Cathy the way I saw her in the book (although, of course, that was
influenced by the songs!).

In discussing the versions of the songs with friends, we finally decided
that I liked the TKI version because it captures the child-Cathy that
comes back at the beginning of the book, while my friends like the TWS
version because it's more ghostly--there's what sounds like a little
extra re-verb on KaTe's voice that makes it haunting/ghostly...and it's
obviously much older Cathy being portrayed...

Just a few thoughts....

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (03/07/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: KaTe on _The Ninth Wave_
Date: 6 Mar 90 16:31:39 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned something about a file I'd saved from
.gaffa in which KaTe briefly discusses each of the songs on _The
Ninth Wave_.  I had a couple of a requests to repost it to .gaffa, so
here it is!

I got this off the net about a year ago; there had been an argument as
to whether or not the protaganist dies at the end of the suite.  I believe
that IED posted this one...  I have _no_ records of where this quote
came from, when it was recorded/written, whatever.  If anybody knows,
I'd appreciate finding out.  Anyway, here we go:

     "The side is about someone who is in the water alone for the night.
_And_Dream_of... is about them fighting sleep. They're very tired and
they've been in the water waiting for someone to come and get them, and
it's starting to get dark and it doesn't look like anyone's
coming and
they want to go to sleep. They know that if they go to sleep in the
water they could turn over and drown, so they're trying to keep awake; but
they can't help it, they eventually fall asleep--which takes us into the
second song.
     "The second song is called _Under_Ice_, and is the dream that the
person has. They're skating on ice; it's a frozen river
and it's very white
everywhere and they're all alone, there doesn't appear to be anyone else
there. As they skate along they look down at the ice and they can see
something moving underneath. As they skate along with the object that's
moving under the ice they come to a crack in the ice; and as it moves
under the crack, they see that it's themselves in the water drowning, and
at that moment they wake up into the next song, which is about friends
and memories who come to wake them up to stop them drowning.
    "As they wake up and surface, they are coming out of the whole feeling of
deep subconsciousness. One of the voices tells them there's someone
there to see them, and here in the water is a witchfinder. This is a
sort of nightmare they're having. This monster figure is basically
trying to drown them, trying to see if they're innocent or guilty. If
they drown then they're innocent. If they don't drown they're guilty,
they'll be drowned anyway. It's the trial of this girl who's in the
water; and all she wants to do is survive and keep her head above water.
    "The next song is about how she wants to go home. That's really the
thing she wants most, just to be in the cosy atmosphere of her belongings all
around her, and the security of those four walls and the firm ground, and
being with the one that she loves. She finds that she's there in spirit,
and there's her loved one sitting in a chair by the fire, but she hadn't
conceived the idea that she wouldn't actually be there in real terms.
She's not real. And although she can see her man, he can't see her--she
can't communicate with him in any way. It's more of a nightmare than
anything so far, because this is the closest she's been to any kind of
comfort, and yet it's the furthest away.
 "The next song is _Jig_of_Life_. This is about the future self who comes
to her rescue, basically. She says 'Look, I'm the next part of your life
and if I am going to survive and enjoy the things that I've enjoyed--
having my children, my happy home and my husband--re
she's so weak that she relives the experience of the storm that took
her in
the water, almost from a view: looking down on the earth up in the heavens,
watching the storm start to form--the storm that eventually took her and that
has put her in this situation.
    "This takes us into _The_Morning_Fog_. 'Morning fog' is the symbol of
light and hope. It's the end of the side, and if you ever have any
control over endings they should always, I feel, have some kind of light
in there."

marek@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Marek Lugowski) (03/15/90)

From: Marek Lugowski <marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Should I start with _The Whole Story_?
Date: 15 Mar 90 09:15:51 GMT
Sender: marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Picture a "Far Side" with the fat pouty nerdy kid opening a door that
you can make out has a stencilled sign "Physics Department Colloquium Room"
and a smaller one "please open and close quietly" and another one "Professor
Smith on Galactic Fillamentation in Cygnus R35a".... and saying
"I think physics is neat but can anyone recommend a good kite?"
...to the colloq'ing nerdy physicists gathered inside, obviously interrupted.

I say is take cover....say, of _Never for Ever_.  Pretty sturdy stuff and
resists flames up to 451 F. (smile)

				-- Marek

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (03/16/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Uh oh, this may be the start of something...
Date: 15 Mar 90 19:58:03 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Vicki, don't sweat it...  No flames from me; I couldn't have said it
any better.

_Lionheart_ was something of a disapointment for me; it was my 4th KaTe
album, and it was the first one that I didn't want to play over and over
again.  It's still my least favorite album (despite some songs I love)

TSW was much the same when I got it...right when it was released in the
States.  I took it home, extraordinarily excited, popped it in the CD
player...and my face fell.  "Oh.  This is what Kate's doing now.  I see."
But, a few of the tracks hit me right off...Deeper Understanding and
TWW in particular.  Because of those songs, I realized there was something
I was missing, so I kept listening to the album.  Finally, it started
to hit me--The Fog, Rocket's Tail, and Never Be Mine began to display
all of the Kate Bush-ness that I had missed.

TSW is a complex album that deserves a lot of openminded listening.  It's
well worth the effort.

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The Laugh
Date: 16 Mar 90 01:55:37 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <9003151804.AA17054@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>What about "Aspects of the Sensual World?"  Does the laugh appear
>there?

Happily, I picked up my $6.35 (after tax!) CD single "Aspects of the
Sensual World" today...

The laugh most certainly does not appear on it, which means absolutely
nothing, because neither L&A nor The Fog are on the disc!

Wheee!  I finally have "Be Kind..." and "I'm Still Waiting" on CD...
I bought the 12" of TWW so I could get the poster, and my tape of
those two songs is terrible.

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (03/23/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Clannad (was Re: Macalla (re: Celtic (ish) Playlist))
Date: 22 Mar 90 16:17:19 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Actually, 'caroleeh' was wrong in 'correcting' Vicki.  Caroleeh
was thinking of the band Clannad (whose 1985 album was titled
"Macalla").

Clannad is composed of 5 peope:  Maire, Ciaran, and Pol Brennan, and
Noel and Padraig Duggan.  The first three are all the older siblings
of Enya, and the latter two are a couple of the Brennan family's uncles.

They've been around since the 70's (late?) and I hear they've changed
quite a bit, from jazzy to pop.  I've only got two of their albums
(Macalla/1985 and PastPresent, a best-of from last year).  Very
interesting stuff...

Jeff

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (04/08/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Dit-Dah-Dit-Dah
Date: 8 Apr 90 16:59:32 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

I dunno morse code either, but fortunately KaTe used a very common
bit of code that I happen to know:  SOS!!

Jeff

uucpadmin@Atherton.COM (UUCP Administrative login) (04/09/90)

From: ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: The video is the #1 seller at Tower!
Date: 9 Apr 90 04:15:10 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

The April/May issue of _Tower Video Collector_ just came out.  This
is yet another in-store magazine of Tower Records/Video.  They
list the top 10 music video sales.  _Kate Bush:  The Sensual
World_ is number one!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

news@Atherton.COM (News Administrator) (04/09/90)

From: MTARR@WESLEYAN.BITNET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate and Paganism
Date: 7 Apr 90 21:15:39 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

Greetings...

Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".

I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list (anybody
like to enlighten me?), but the general consensus among my friends and family
who have seen the TSW video is, My God, That's SO Pagan!!!  My sister proclaimed
the part where KT is dancing backwards through the trees and the full moon
as positively Wiccan, although I don't know enough of Wiccan stuff to be able
to agree or disagree.  It's certainly Celtic- trees, moon, fire, a hauntingly
beautiful woman dancing very strangely through it all.  It seems Druid to
me, but again, I'm not one to judge.

I think the only time I've seen Kate wear an item of jewelry was on one of
the MTV mini-interviews, in which she was wearing a Druid sickle pendant
around her neck.  I know she's said she doesn't have any real religious beliefs,
but with her Irish heritage and her interest in traditional Celtic stuff,
it didn't appear strange to me.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?  Has anybody else noticed this, what
do you think, have you heard KT mention anything about it in an interview,
whatever.  I'll welcome e-mail on the subject, but if you're going through
UUCP please post, because I won't be able to e-mail you an answer.  I'm really
intrigued by all this, and would like some outside input.

Meredith Tarr                   "Looking for a moment that'll never happen
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu         Living in the gap between past and future"
Wesleyan University                                             -KT

uucpadmin@Atherton.COM (UUCP Administrative login) (04/12/90)

From: ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: VH-1 stats and info
Date: 11 Apr 90 01:00:41 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

I was curious to see exactly what "Five Star Rotation" means on
VH-1, so I used my handy-dandy VCR and fast-forward button to
determine the following:

Between 4:00 am and 4:00 pm PST "This Woman's Work" was played
four times, i.e. about once every three hours.

There are nine videos currently in "Five Star Rotation" (_Billboard_
says eight; this is one of several errors in _BB_'s lists).  From
12:00 noon to 4:00 pm a 5* video was played once every 20 minutes,
on average.  Note that this agrees with the frequency of four times
in twelve hours for any one particular 5* video.

Note for Jane Siberry fans:  According to _BB_, VH-1 has added
the video for "Life Is A Red Wagon".  However, I didn't see it
in all my viewing.  In fact, I haven't seen any of the videos
which _BB_ says VH-1 has just added.  I suspect this is _BB_'s
error, like when they said VH-1 added "The Sensual World" several
weeks before it was actually added.  But in any case this new
Jane video probably will start showing up on VH-1 sometime.

Note for Laurie Anderson fans:  VH-1 has been showing a lot
of short clips of Laurie lately.  They give the name of the
album as _Strange Animals_.  Is this for real, or has VH-1
made a tremendous error?

Ed Suranyi
ed@das.llnl.gov

uucpadmin@Atherton.COM (UUCP Administrative login) (04/12/90)

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: General reminder tO all reaDers
Date: 11 Apr 90 05:20:20 GMT

Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV
To: ames!rec-music-gaffa

In article <1990Apr11.021552.1825@cs.wmich.edu> oliver@CS.WMICH.EDU (Christopher Oliver) writes:
>In article <9004110021.AA24719@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU writes:
>>
>>     She really is.
>>
>>-- Andrew Marvick
>
>Yes..........What?

I guess you're not a long-time Love-Hound.  The full text of the above
motto is:  Kate Bush is God, she really is.

It's just a fun thing to say when you're around Kate fans.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

uucpadmin@Atherton.COM (UUCP Administrative login) (04/12/90)

From: LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU (Cynthia Loiselle)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Trio Bulgarka question
Date: 11 Apr 90 07:02:00 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

Dan Rodriguez asks:
> Anyone in LoveHoundLand know if there are any Trio Bulgarka releases?

Yes.  There's a record/CD called _The Forest Is Crying_ by the Trio
Bulgarka.

You also might want to check out:

    Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares - volume I  (Nonesuch 9 79165-2)
       by the Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir
       (the Trio are soloists with this Choir)
    Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares - volume II (Nonesuch 9 79201-2)
       includes songs by various groups, but mostly the aforementioned
       choir
    Balkana  (Hannibal HNCD 1335)
       Again, various groups, much more diversity than Mystere-II, includes
       instrumental dance numbers, but includes the Trio, or members, on
       about half the tracks.

> I've heard they actually tour so I would suspect they would, but I'm
> really not sure....

I don't know about the Trio, but the <impossibly-long-name> Choir is
currently touring the US.  Although I seem to remember someone mentioning
that not all the members of the Trio Bulgarka are with them.  Still
recommended, however!

Cindy (loiselle@cs.umass.edu)

uucpadmin@Atherton.COM (UUCP Administrative login) (04/12/90)

From: LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU (Cynthia Loiselle)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Kate is.... (was Re: General reminder tO all reaDers)
Date: 11 Apr 90 07:10:00 GMT

Sender: daemon@eddie.mit.edu (Mr Background)

Christopher Oliver asks about IED's reminder:

> > Top: Love-Hounds
> > From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
> > Subject: General reminder tO all reaDers
> >
> >     She really is.
> >
> >-- Andrew Marvick
>
> Yes..........What?

He's already told you.  Recheck the subject line.

Cindy (loiselle@cs.umass.edu)

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (04/13/90)

From: eels@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (eels)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: capercaille
Date: 13 Apr 90 01:30:57 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

I was pretty startled to see Capercaille mentioned on Gaffa!  I had no
idea that they were even touring!  I was turned on to their unique music
via the Public radio program "the Thistle and Shamrock" from UNC/Charlotte
and immediately copped their CD _Sidewaulk_ (well worth the effort!).
Does anyone know their tour schedule of the midwest or am I too late
to catch them?

Greg Clark

root@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (Boss Tweed) (04/14/90)

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Interview CD
Date: 14 Apr 90 00:44:26 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In a local shop today, I saw an interview CD (ooh!  ooh!)
It contained two interviews, referring to them as "The Dreaming (1982)"
and "Hounds of Love (1985)".  The front picture is kinda hard to describe,
but on the back of the cover (it's in one of those cheap british single-cd
cases) there's a pic of KaTe holding what looks kinda like an electric
mandolin.  I think the 'publishing' company was something like Baktabak
or baktobak or well, something.

Anyway...do any of you have this, what are the interviews like, what's a good
price for such a beast, if I decide that I can't after all afford it
right now am I likely to find it elsewhere without that much of a search,
&c &c &c.

Jeff

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (05/07/90)

Really-From: david!david@cis.ohio-state.edu (David A. Roth)

From: david@david.UUCP (David A. Roth)
Newsgroups: alt.emusic,rec.music.beatles,rec.music.bluenote,rec.music.cd,rec.music.classical,rec.music.dementia,rec.music.dylan,rec.music.folk,rec.music.gaffa,rec.music.gdead,rec.music.makers,rec.music.misc,rec.music.newage,rec.music.synth
Subject: MUSIC CENSORSHIP
Date: 7 May 90 03:30:06 GMT

In the May 1990 issue of Electronic Musician, page 122 an article
appeared written by Craig Anderton called "SELL A RECORD, GO TO JAIL".

The article talks about attemps at censorship of music.  I thought the
following info might be useful to others:

"...the newsletter Rock & Roll Confidential offers a pamphlet, You've
Got a Right to Rock, that summarizes courses of action ($3 from RRC,
Box 15052, Long Beach, CA 90815)..."

David
david@david.UUCP

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (05/26/90)

Really-From: Boss Tweed <root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Stay Awake
Date: 25 May 90 21:19:54 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Okay, I'm sure this was covered two years ago when the album came out, but
it took me 'til today to get the thing.

"Stay Awake:  Various Interpretationgs of Music from Vintage Disney Films"
is utterly fantastic.

Can anyone tell me more 'bout Bill Friskell and Wayne Horvitz? (amongst
others that have impressed me on the album; I know who most of the others
are)

Oh...and a KaTe connection?  Why, Stay Awake contains both "Second Star to
the Right" and "When You Wish Upon a Star!"

(and, as well all know, Dennis likes to look in the mirror...)

Jeff

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/05/90)

Really-From: Boss Tweed <root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: seKreT messages, etc
Date: 5 Jul 90 03:37:13 GMT
Sender: root@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

And more on the backwards stuff:

After IED posted his full lyrics to "Watching You Without Me," I pulled
out the handy-dandy digitizer and tried listening to some of the stuff.

I have a lot of trouble making out the backward "You don't hear me."s that
appear mid/end verse.  They're obviously there and that's what she's saying,
but it's not as clear as a lot of other backwards-masked stuff (largely
'cause it seems to be meant largely as part of the instrumental score
as opposed to a very blatant secret message that is out in the open for
anyone to grab (such as Floyd's message on "The Wall", which is only on one
track, with no music, so it's easy to manipulate).

What was _really_ fantastic was the repeated "We see you here." that
follows the "Don't ignore me..." part.  Before IED posted his lyrics, I
would have sworn that Kate was singing this part forward--I wasn't
sure about the lyrics (I figgered they were something like "We really see."),
but I had no idea this was backwards-masked.  When you turn it around, you
hear some amazing singing.  Simply too cool--something that sounds 'real'
both forward and backward (I never really agreed with the stuff about "We
let the weirdness in"--sound gibberish to me backward.)

I also played around a bit with the chopped-up parts on WYWM.

The first time I digitized the first part, I happened to only do one
track (I think it was the right track, but I'm not positive).  I
reversed it, then listened for IED's purported backward message--"I was
here before, you talked to me, you said that you didn't think it was too
late to help me...".  What I heard, though, was the _forward_ message
("Help me baby, help me baby, talk to me..."), though it was a bit
choppier.  It sounded like KaTe had simply "chopped" up the original tape and
inserted every-other bit backward--where the backwards bits were a little
shorter than the forward.  When I tried digitizing it with _both_ tracks,
I heard IED's message--and his transcription seems pretty close.  I haven't
yet had the chance to try this part with just the left track; perhaps this
will shed some light on the matter.

___________

On a completely different matter, I experienced Bliss today--walking along
the beach, the waves washing over my feet, CD player slug over my shoulder,
listening to John Carder reciting (singing?  chanting?) the end of "Jig of
Life."  Sea gulls crying, wind in my hair, the crash of the waves....oooooh!

"For Now does ride in on the curl of a wave..."

Jeff

Really-From: dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

>(I never really agreed with the stuff about "We
>let the weirdness in"--sound gibberish to me backward.)

If you simply run your record deck backwards the backwards message is
crystal clear - even with the uneven speed you achieve using your finger!
The words are "They simply won't believe."

>Jeff

Duncan

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: I think you've hit on something!
Date: 22 Jul 90 00:23:44 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <9007212201.AA01317@das.llnl.gov> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

>I think you're on to something here!  In fact, I've noticed it myself.
>While I didn't discover her quite at the beginning, the first album of
>hers that I heard (and that I fell in love with) was _The Kick Inside_.
>Well, I love _The Sensual World_.  I haven't yet found any exceptions
>to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
>fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
>album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.  I don't
>know anybody whose first love is _Never For Ever_.

>Ed

Here I am.  Yeah, me, the one who's first KaTedisc was _Never For Ever_.

And, as one might guess from your _rather_ informal 'rule,' I have mixed
feelings about TSW.

Maybe, though, this has to do with the order in which I grew to love all
the albums...completely unchronologically.  NFE, HoL, TKI, LH, TD, then TSW.

I didn't hear HoL and decide that I _had_ to have TD since it was s'posed to
be in a similar vein (of sorts).

I spent two or three months trying to get into TSW.  Apart from "This Woman's
Work" (one of KaTe's best songs ever, regardless of what IED would say of
my use of 'best'), the album eluded me.  Finally, something clicked...
TSW is hardly my favorite KaTe album....that would be HoL.  It's definitely
not my least favorite...that would be Lionheart.  It's somewhere in the
middle, hitched up with Never For Ever, slightly behind The Dreaming.
"The Fog," "TWW," "Rocket's Tail," "TSW"--these songs are all very KaTe to me.
I can complain, as do others, about the wall-of-sound, dense feel of the
album, as opposed to something like HoL.  I prefer KaTe when her production
is light and airy...even when its bashing your head in with the percussion.

But geez...something about her "Hmmmm, yess."

Ya gotta love it!

Jeff

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/27/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Don't knock it till spin 500...
Date: 27 Jul 90 00:57:50 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

This is only a test ... nothing seems to be getting thru these days.

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Jane Siberry info needed!
Date: 27 Jul 90 13:50:18 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

  A while back, there was alot of talk on Gaffa about Jane Siberry.  It
sounded like she would be worth looking in to, but being a poor grad
student I didn't want to purchase anything that I wasn't too sure about.
Recently, I found the _Bound_by_the_Beauty_ CD at our public library
and checked it out.  I'm ashamed to admit that I listened to the first
two tracks and turned it off, quite disappointed that Gaffa led me to
some country hick (not to offend anybody, but country music is one
thing that I, typically, can not stomach).  A while later, I thought
that to be fair I should listen to the whole thing.  I played the
whole thing, but not without repeating "Half Angel, Half Eagle" a half
dozen times!  Mon Dieu, I was getting spine tingles like those inspired
by "Breathing" and "Get Out of My House"!  I particularly love the title
track (sounds coutry to me, yet quite tasteful - neat time sig. stuff-
and the lyrics? Wow.), "Life is the Red Wagon", "Hockey", and "Everthing
Reminds Me ..."  I felt quite ashamed that I had so horribly misjudged
_BBTB_ initially.
  The point of all this is:  where do I go from here?  What's a good next
CD to look for?  I can get _The Walking_ pretty easily, used.  I've seen
_No_Borders_Here_.  Does all her stuff have country influence?  Does she
use synths on her other stuff?  I'm partial to obscure stuff, so if she
has some off the wall stuff, that would be good.
  Any guidance will be useful; I trust now that it will be helpful!

Greg Clark

P.S.  Just for putting my two cents in for the _TSW_ debate, I discovered
Kate at the _HoL_ stage.  I love all her stuff, including _TSW_.  I tend
to favor her last two the most because of the maturity of her voice.  There
has been a definite, steady change in her voice over the years and I,
personally, prefer the more mature voice a wee bit more than her younger
one.  For me, it is primarily her voice that got me hooked on her in the
first place!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/28/90)

Really-From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>

In article <9007271350.AA12855@rutgers.edu> you write:
>Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

>From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>Subject: Jane Siberry info needed!
>Date: 27 Jul 90 13:50:18 GMT
>Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
>
>CD to look for?  I can get _The Walking_ pretty easily, used.  I've seen
>_No_Borders_Here_.  Does all her stuff have country influence?  Does she
>use synths on her other stuff?  I'm partial to obscure stuff, so if she
>has some off the wall stuff, that would be good.
>  Any guidance will be useful; I trust now that it will be helpful!
>
>Greg Clark

Oh, goody...another Love-Hound at IU...

(actually, I'm in Wash, DC for the summer...)

At the "suggestion" of Vicki, I bought "No Borders Here" about two months
ago.

WOW.  That's all I can say.

It's the only Jane I've heard other than "Life's a Red Wagon" (or whatever
it's called).  The only thing I can compare it to is Laurie Anderson's
"Strange Angels" (it's got the same kind of really quirky stuff, with strange
spoken bits and such.  It's also _very_ melodic, so it doesn't seem to compare
too well with Laurie Anderson's other stuff (which I'm not really familiar
with).  I'd have to say that one of the most intense things I've ever
experienced is the song "Map of the World (part one)" from _NBH_.  Try it
on headphones, lying down, in a dark room.  Trust me.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/01/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KATEMAS
Date: 1 Aug 90 03:25:37 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <9007311522.AA10986@radar.nrl.navy.mil> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Maitland Bottoms <bottoms@radar.nrl.navy.mil>

>So.... Anyone out there know of a recording (other than Kate's) of Lizzie
>Wan? Or even  My Lagan Love  for that matter?

For "My Lagan Love," take a listen at the _Irish Heartbeat_ album--a
collaboration 'twixt Van Morrison and the Chieftains.

>Maitland...
>
>P.S.
>Those of you who think I only post when I want something... you've
>got another peice of evidence. Just be glad I don't post whenever I
>want to Flame-Broil someone at random.

Yeah, well, now it's my turn.  Anybody have an idea of what I should
pay for the 12" single of HoL?  The track listing I saw was: a)HoL (alternate
mix) (think that's how it was described); b1) Jig of Life; b2) The Handsome
Cabin Boy.

I've found a copy of the record, and I'll probably buy it anyway, but I may
wait and look for a cheaper price.

Any takers?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/07/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: hol single 12"
Date: 7 Aug 90 02:34:02 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

>THAT'S THE EMI *** BRITISH *** RELEASE!!!!

Ohjeezohjeezohjeez...

It's been 9 days.  Wonder if the single is still there.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Nervously fingering his change,

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/10/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: The boxed set and not-so-rare new-to-CD material
Date: 10 Aug 90 01:16:58 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <50F0862B983F000522@cs.umass.EDU> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Cindy, the Coaster Rider" <LOISELLE@cs.umass.EDU>

>  [lots of stuff about being able to get un-rare B'sides and stuff]
>                                         Cindy Loiselle

YEAH!  What she said!

So far, the only non-album stuff I've gotten is the "This Woman's Work" 12"
single, the stuff on "Aspects..." and the "HoL" 12" (thanks to those who
answered my query).  This gives me a total of 6 non-lp cuts (Ken; Be Kind...;
I'm Still Waiting; instrumental TSW; Alternative Hounds; Handsome Cabin Boy).

I've looked for other stuff and haven't found it (yet).

Doesn't it excite at least some of you to be able to get _all_ this stuff in
one fell swoop _and_ on CD at the same time?  I'm incredibly glad to have
Alternative Hounds and Handsome Cabin Boy...but I'd love 'em that much
more if they were on CD.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/21/90)

Really-From: news@Atherton.COM (News Administrator)

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: THE CD BOX SET
Date: 20 Sep 90 11:40:04 GMT

 	I've probably missed the posting, but can anyone tell
Date: 18 Sep 90 21:52:45 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU (USENET news)

From: colburn@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (Alex Colburn)

	Also I'm trying to get a copy of the CD of Live At the
Hammersmith, anyone have any suggestions?

While I'm at it, I'm having a difficult time getting my hands on the
video for Live at the Hammersmith.  It seems that it is not in distribution
anymore.  The video stores don't even have rental copies!
Anyone know how I get a copy?

	If and when I can get these little items (and even if I can't),
I think it would be good excuse for a Kate Fest.  If anyone is interested
I'll post the date and other details as soon as I can figure them out.

			Thanks for any info on the CD's & video,
				  Alex

Oh yeah.  I noticed in a few listings  of Kate CD's
that people had forgetten about
Aspects of the Sensual World.  That was one CD I  COULD find,
even though it only has 5 pieces, it still counts as a CD doesn't it?

From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 21 Sep 90 00:04:30 GMT

 	I've probably missed the posting, but can anyone tell
Date: 18 Sep 90 21:52:45 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU

Really-From: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU (USENET news)

From: colburn@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (Alex Colburn)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/02/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Fripp tour
Date: 1 Oct 90 17:43:11 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

I just saw Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists at Jake's here
in Bloomington last Saturday.  If anyone has a chance to see them,
it's well worth it.  They were simply amazing.  Any Fripp fan or
guitar lover would appreciate it!  There was also a female vocalist
with them who would sing between movements.  I did not catch her
name and it wasn't published in the review in our local paper.
Does anyone know who she is?  Her a cappella performances were
incredible.

In preparing for the performance, I went through my Fripp collection
and listened to The Leage of Gentlemen.  Danielle Dax sings the
cut Minor Man, which I didn't realize before.  I only know her from
that cut and words from Gaffa.  Is this cut typical of her style, or
is this quite different than her other work?

*                                       "Ah well, that's this world   *
* Greg Clark                             over,                        *
* greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu       Ah well, next one begins .." *
*                                                 -Andy Partridge     *

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Looking for some files
Date: 8 Oct 90 04:00:58 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

A few days ago, I managed to trash one of the floppies of my hard drive
backup.  Naturally, this didn't happen until _after_ I'd reformatted the
drive.

Unfortunately, the most important things I lost were 3 KaTe-related
files.  I'd rather not have to wade through the entire archives trying
to find this stuff (assuming I can find the stuff at all), and I was
hoping some of you might have these three short items sequestered away
in your private archives.  The three are:

a) hmmm...can't remember who it was specifically (think it was |>oug), but
    someone posted their idea of what the three whispered lines during "SiG"
    are (the first one being, "I caught a glimpse of a god/all shiny(ing)
    and bright)

b) The 'official' (by John Carder Bush's mouth) transcription of the
   end of the "Jig of Life."  I'm pretty positive I can write it out from
   memory, but I'd like to have the offical version anyway; I often send
   it and the next request out to friends and such who are KaTe fans and
   it'd be nice to have 'em.

c) a long time ago, someone posted a chunk o' interview in which KaTe
    went through and described, briefly, the story line of "The Ninth
    Wave," as well as the basis behind each of the songs.  I've posted
    this once or twice to .gaffa myself during arguements about what the
    suite means, so I'm hoping someone will have this one.

So...can anyone help?  It'd be incredibly appreciated!

Hmmm...let's make this fair...  A while ago (march?) I sampled some
brief KaTe clips, from TSW.  I use one of 'em, the "yeah" from Love & Anger,
as a system beep on my Atari ST.  The aren't great, but they're definitely
usable; I have some at 10Khz and some at 31.5Khz (I think).  If anybody
wants 'em, drop me a line and I'll try to mail 'em to you, UUEncoded.
They're straight data files, and should be usable on Macs and Amigas; anything
else, you're on your own.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/09/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: "Watching You Without Me" comp.
Date: 8 Nov 90 18:10:22 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

  I have a question that was probably answered on Gaffa a long time
ago, before I started reading it.  Does anyone know the answer to
the "watching you Without Me" comp in the KBC?  It's the one where
you attempt to decode what Kate is singing in said song where it
sounds like backwards singing or some bizzarre language.  Any
ideas?

  Also, I'm curious to know if any Gaffa readers are into Univers Zero
and if anyone has heard if they are working on anything new.

Greg Clark                                      "I'm at high tide!"
greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu                          -L.A.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/13/90)

Really-From: John Nienart <nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (John Nienart)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Boxed set in Bloomington
Date: 12 Nov 90 16:47:49 GMT

In case any Midwestern Love-Hounds who haven't gotten the box yet,
Ozarka Records in Bloomington, Indiana special-ordered it for me for
cost plus 10% plus shipping, total $149 and change, plus tax. Buy it;
it's wonderful!

Now a question (perhaps this has been answered already, but I haven't
been paying attention): is there any difference between the versions
of Walk Straight Down the Middle on TSW and on TWW I? Inquiring minds
can't find any. Thanks.

--John
John Nienart 	IU Computer Science 	nienart@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
"You paid $150 for two CDs?!" -my wife

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/13/90)

Really-From: Gary Hill <G.J.Hill@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

From: gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Gary Hill)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: HERESY on Threee Counts!
Date: 13 Nov 90 10:40:41 GMT

In <9011092213.AA12419@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

>Some do not have the entire collection on CD, some do not have the
>original UK pressings, some have never even heard many of the B-sides,

The records/CDs in the box set are not original UK pressings, the
1st  four albums have been on the mid-priced Fame record label for at
least 4 years in the UK and these are the albums that are distributed
with the box.  I considered buying the box until I saw the ridiculous
price being charged (70# sterling for LPs). When you consider that the
first four LPs are five pounds each and the last two around eight
pounds, the three others (I understand there are three LPs for the TWW
stuff?) then come in at 11 pounds each which is the going rate for a
single CD!  Admittedly the whole thing is packaged up and includes
some pictures but when you consider that a lot of people will already
have all the studio stuff, the pricing seems rather steep to me. In
fact blatant con is the term I have been using!

I just hope that the record company do what hapeened with a recent
Jethro Tull box set and release the new stuff separately. Or I'll wait
a while for the price to halve like it did  with the Bruce Springsteen
5LP set.

I just object when dedicated fans are taken for a ride and have to buy
duplicate material to keep collections complete, let alone pay over
the odds for it!

Gary Hill, gjh@uk.ac.soton.ecs

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/21/90)

Really-From: The News System <usenet@accuvax.nwu.edu>

From: kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Convention video question
Date: 21 Nov 90 06:08:17 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

Somebody said that the video that they showed will never be sold.  Is that
something they said at the convention or a guess or what?  I (and I am sure
all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see it.

Michael

(T, if she comes to NY, do we have a date? M)

Michael Kaufman  | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
  kaufman        | on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter
   @eecs.nwu.edu | in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All these moments will

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/27/90)

Really-From: Gary Hill <G.J.Hill@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

From: gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Gary Hill)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Box set to be featured tomorrow on KITS
Date: 27 Nov 90 10:40:57 GMT

In <DNB.90Nov26182315@meshugge.media.mit.edu> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank)

>> Well, Kate didn't tell us that she wanted us to keep this secret.
>> She said she wanted us to be the first to know!  I don't think it
>> should be kept secret.

>True.  I just noted that she didn't tell you that it was an official
>press release, either. It seemed from the descriptions I heard that
>she was either in the process of making up her mind, or working out
>the details.  In either case, I think if I was an artist I might tell
>my friends that I was considering a tour, but not the press directly
>so they didn't force decisions or details from me.  I have not doubt
>about Mr. Hamilton's fandom, I just hope he presents it as nebulously
>as Kate presented it to you so this doesn't snowball out of her
>control.
>          Peace,
>            dNb
The news was in the UK music press last week, where they got it from I
don't know, but it would seem to be a bit quick for the grapevine
effect. I think it was melody maker I read it in, but I can't
remember. So maybe there was actually a low key press release?

Gary Hill, gjh@uk.ac.soton.ecs

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/28/90)

Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: DCD & CT Chgo Shows, a newcomer's view
Date: 27 Nov 90 17:26:21 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

I'm reposting a request that I made before the Konvention.  In the
excitement of it all, it went unnoticed.  By the way, I appreciate
all the coverage on the Konvention, esp. IED's transcription.  Thanks!

My request concerns the KBC comp for 'Watching You Without Me'.
Does anyone know the answer to this one (ie. what is KaTe singing
in the intermediate part of the song)?  Surely someone must know!
Thanks in advance.

-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|                                                                      -
-    Greg Clark                                'I'm at high tide!'     |
|                                                                      -
-    greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu                    -L.A.         |
|                                                                      -
-                                                                      |
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

news@CSE.OGI.EDU (USENET Pseudo-user) (04/26/91)

From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Quick question
Date: 25 Apr 91 19:29:27 GMT
Sender: news@cs.dal.ca (USENET News)

In article <1991Apr25.152241.1718@athena.mit.edu> kyrlidis@athena.mit.EDU (Agathagelos Kyrlidis) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Here's a trivia question:
>
>How could Kate Bush be related to Madonna's new movie?

Isn't Madonna going to be in the next Woody Allen movie - I guess he wanted a
challenge. Hopefully she will have a tiny part and Diane Keaton will star,
with Mia Farrow as supporting actress. Allen, would, of course, play the main
role. Somehow I don't see Kate fitting into this...unless she has changed
direction and is singing old jazz tunes.  :)

If you REALLY like Woody Allen films, mail me.

For me what Diane Keaton is on the screen is sort of what Kate is through the
speakers.

mike

news@vela.UUCP (USENET News System) (04/29/91)

From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Nigel Kennedy & Kate
Date: 27 Apr 91 18:39:21 GMT
Sender: news@cs.dal.ca (USENET News)

In article <1991Apr26.233644.16914@cbnewse.att.com> lizard@ihlpf.att.COM (Russell J Neumann) writes:
>Just a brief note to the Love Hounds: When Nigel Kennedy
>played a concert [which was fabulous BTW] in Chicago this
>week, Mayor Daley issued a proclamation declaring April
>23, 1991 to be Nigel Kennedy day in Chicago. In the text
>of the proclamation he mentioned Kate by name as being
>one of the artists of note that Nigel has worked with.
>So I guess someone on the Mayor's staff is pretty cool.
>
>Russ Neumann

Wooooooah! Was there any ceremony. I trust that Nigel DIDN'T dress up  :)

mike

news@ANAXAGORAS.ILS.NWU.EDU (05/22/91)

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Vickie sez...
Date: 21 May 91 22:14:17 GMT
Sender: news@ils.nwu.edu

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) writes:
> Uh, unless I'm greatly mistaken, KCRW is an NPR station in
> Southern California -- Santa Monica, to be specific.

uhhhh... she def. said it was NPR.  I _thought_ she said sacramento, but...

news@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.EDU (05/24/91)

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Happy Info (for the uninitiated)