[rec.music.gaffa] Games without Frontiers

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/14/91)

>I've played my "Games without Frontiers" through a few times, listening
>very carefully, and I can't hear anything that sounds like Kate at all
>- it just sounds like Peter Gabrial. What does she sing, is it the
>"chi sans fontiers" bit (excuse my spelling) ?
>	Guy.

Yes, she sings "Jeux sans frontieres", which is "Games Without
Frontiers" in French.

Even if you didn't recognize the voice singing this as Kate, how
could you think it was Peter Gabriel -- it's obviously female!

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/14/91)

Guy asks:

>I've played my "Games without Frontiers" through a few times, listening
>very carefully, and I can't hear anything that sounds like Kate at all
>- it just sounds like Peter Gabrial. What does she sing, is it the
>"chi sans fontiers" bit (excuse my spelling) ?

As far as I know, all KaTe sings on this particular track  are the various
"jeux sans frontie`res."

>There seem to be so many early Peter Gabriel CD's that are just called
>"Peter Gabriel", could someone give me a short discography identifying
>the albumns by cover art or track listing or catalogue number or
>something ! Which one(s) do I need to get to hear Kate ? (I've got
>"Don't Give Up" on "So")

Depending on what country you live in, there are 4 CDs officially titled
_Peter Gabriel_, or three...the other one having the title _Security_.

Gabriel's first album has a picture of a car on the cover; the best known
tracks from it are probable "Here Comes the Flood" and "Solisbury Hill".

The second album is usually referred to as "scratch"--Gabriel's hands have
scratched away wide swaths of the picture on the cover.  Best known songs
on this?  Not many...maybe "DIY" or "I Go Fishing."

The third album is "melt"; it's a photo of Gabriel that's, well, melting!
Other than _So_, this is the only Gabriel album with KaTe on it.  She sings
back up on two songs--"No Self Control" and "Games Without Frontiers."  This
is also the album that contains "Biko."  It's a spectacular album.

I have no way to describe the cover to PG4/Security.  It's a photo of a man
wearing a mask...sort of.  This was the album with "Shock the Monkey" as well
as "San Jacinto," "Rhthym of the Heat," and bunches of other songs you've
probably heard at one time or another.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

meep@WPI.WPI.EDU (A Son Of The Silent Age) (05/16/91)

In article <9105131937.AA21108@floyd.adl.austek> glarri@adl.AUstek.OZ.AU (Guy Larri) writes:
>Hi,

Hi yourself.

>I've played my "Games without Frontiers" through a few times, listening
>very carefully, and I can't hear anything that sounds like Kate at all
>- it just sounds like Peter Gabrial. What does she sing, is it the
>"chi sans fontiers" bit (excuse my spelling) ?

Yes, KaTe is singing "jeux sans frontieres" (that's "Games Without Frontiers"
in French) throughout.  She's credited for the whole album, I believe,
but I don't recall any other instances of her voice.

>There seem to be so many early Peter Gabriel CD's that are just called
>"Peter Gabriel", could someone give me a short discography identifying
>the albumns by cover art or track listing or catalogue number or
>something ! Which one(s) do I need to get to hear Kate ? (I've got
>"Don't Give Up" on "So")

First album:  Blue car on cover, Atco Records, 1977.
Second album:  Hands with streaks on cover, Atlantic Records, 1978.
Third album:  Melting face on cover ("You're only as young as you feel"),
	Geffen Records, 1980.
Fourth album (called "Security" in U.S.):  Bizarre-O face on cover, Geffen
	Records, 1982.

KaTe is only on number Three, I think.  (Brief plug...if you don't already
know, she's also on backing vox on Big Country's song "The Seer" from the
(IMHO excellent) album of the same title.  Not a great vocal part, mostly
"yeh-yeh-yeah", but there you have it)

>Thanks muchly :-),

You're welcome.

>	Guy.

doug

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/16/91)

>Yes, KaTe is singing "jeux sans frontieres" (that's "Games Without Frontiers"
>in French) throughout.  She's credited for the whole album, I believe,
>but I don't recall any other instances of her voice.
>
>doug

She also sings on "No Self Control".

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.025038.26438@wpi.WPI.EDU> meep writes a double oops

>She's credited for the whole album, I believe,
>but I don't recall any other instances of her voice.

As I already pointed out in my earlier posting on this subject, KaTe also
sings some quite nice bv's on "No Self Control".

(and yes, I appologize to all those people who have caught (and pointed out!)
my error wrt tracks on PGII.  Not only did I get a title wrong, but the
song I was thinking of isn't even on the album.  Oops.)

>KaTe is only on number Three, I think.  (Brief plug...if you don't already
>know, she's also on backing vox on Big Country's song "The Seer" from the
>(IMHO excellent) album of the same title.  Not a great vocal part, mostly
>"yeh-yeh-yeah", but there you have it)

It *is* a great vocal part (probably my favorite KaTe-on-another-band's-song-
vocals (of course, not including true duets!)).  Try listening on headphones
sometime.  On every verse but the first, KaTe is whispering/singing the vocals
 alongside Stuart Adamson; as I recall, she's mostly on one track and he's
mostly on the other.  Once you realize it's there, it's very easy to hear.

Jeff
(who was a Big Country fan until they released _Peace In Our Time_.
Fortunately, the other 3 albums are still good...;-)
--

jondr@sco.COM (Jonathan S. Drukman) (05/21/91)

No one yet knows why glarri@adl.AUstek.OZ.AU (Guy Larri) said:
>I've played my "Games without Frontiers" through a few times, listening
>very carefully, and I can't hear anything that sounds like Kate at all
>- it just sounds like Peter Gabrial. What does she sing, is it the
>"chi sans fontiers" bit (excuse my spelling) ?

First, it's "jeux sans frontieres" which is french for "games without
frontiers."  Yes, that's Kate singing that phrase.  She might be elsewhere
on that track but I've not played that song in ages.  (I O.D.'d on PG III
and IV long ago)

#1 - Gabriel in car - known as "Car" by fans.  With Solsbury Hill, Here
Comes The Flood.
#2 - Ripping the cover - known as "Scratch".  With On The Air, DIY, and
that wonderful Robert Fripp production...  Totally scary album.
#3 - Melting face - known as "Melt."  With Games Without Frontiers, I Don't
Remember, Biko.
#4 - Strange video-posterized image.  Known as "???", also known as
"Security" in some countries.  America, for instance.  With Shock The
Monkey, Rhythm Of The Heat, San Jacinto.
#5 - "So" - the "world's first disposable album title."  I think it's a
pretty disposable album, despite Kate's presence.

Kate is on #3 and #5.  On #3 she does the "jeux sans frontieres" and is
also featured on "No Self Control" - check out those flanged "no self
control!"s in the chorus.

Incidentally, if you haven't found a copy of the PG song "Walk Through The
Fire" RUN -do not walk- to your nearest rekkid dealer and DEMAND it.  It's
on the Red Rain 12" and the soundtrack to Against All Odds.

--
Jon Drukman (extended remix)                 uunet!sco!jondr      jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.

No one yet knows why jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) said:
>The second album is usually referred to as "scratch"--Gabriel's hands have
>scratched away wide swaths of the picture on the cover.  Best known songs
>on this?  Not many...maybe "DIY" or "I Go Fishing."

Hello, Jeff.

What on earth are you talking about?  I suspect you meant to say "I Go
Swimming" rather than "I Go Fishing" but in either case, there is no song
with a title like that on PG II.

--

nitehawk@wet.UUCP (Alex Gibbs) (05/27/91)

jondr@sco.COM ("Jonathan S. Drukman") writes:
> #4 - Strange video-posterized image.  Known as "???", also known as
> "Security" in some countries.  America, for instance.  With Shock The
> Monkey, Rhythm Of The Heat, San Jacinto.
> #5 - "So" - the "world's first disposable album title."  I think it's a
> pretty disposable album, despite Kate's presence.

I thought Peter Gabriel refered to _Security_ as the "wold's first disposable
album title."  Apparently the record company insisted on some sort of
identification on it so a compromise was reached wherein a sticker saying
"Security" was placed on the wrapping of each album.  Peter Gabriel agreed
since this sticker would usually be thrown out as soon at the album was
unwrapped.
--
+----------------======<<<<<<Alex Gibbs, Nighthawk>>>>>>======----------------+
| @cca.ucsf.edu:nitehawk@wet.UUCP              Gibbs2@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu |

jondr@sco.COM (Jon Drukman) (05/30/91)

No one yet knows why nitehawk@CCA.UCSF.EDU said:
>I thought Peter Gabriel refered to _Security_ as the "wold's first disposable
>album title."  Apparently the record company insisted on some sort of
>identification on it so a compromise was reached wherein a sticker saying
>"Security" was placed on the wrapping of each album.  Peter Gabriel agreed
>since this sticker would usually be thrown out as soon at the album was
>unwrapped.

Interesting story, but it's not what I remember.  "So" was supposed to be
disposable because it didn't mean anything, and it was just chosen for its
shape.

On the other hand, my memory sucks.

--
Jon Drukman (imploded dub mix)               uunet!sco!jondr      jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.

meep@wpi.WPI.EDU (The Cutter) (05/30/91)

Jon Drukman <fscott!jondr@uunet.UU.NET> writes:
>No one yet knows why nitehawk@CCA.UCSF.EDU said:
>>I thought Peter Gabriel refered to _Security_ as the "wold's first disposable
>>album title."  Apparently the record company insisted on some sort of
>>identification on it so a compromise was reached wherein a sticker saying
>>"Security" was placed on the wrapping of each album.  Peter Gabriel agreed
>>since this sticker would usually be thrown out as soon at the album was
>>unwrapped.
>
>Interesting story, but it's not what I remember.  "So" was supposed to be
>disposable because it didn't mean anything, and it was just chosen for its
>shape.
>
>On the other hand, my memory sucks.

For what it's worth, my copy of "Security" mentions the "first disposable
album title" quote on the back, referring to that album.  I think the comments
about "So" are correct, however (chosen for shape, not meaning).

Anyone else?

Doug

genel@pyrtech.pyramid.COM (Gene Lege') (05/30/91)

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
In article <17313@scorn.sco.COM> Jon Drukman <fscott!jondr@uunet.UU.NET> writes:

>No one yet knows why nitehawk@CCA.UCSF.EDU said:
>>I thought Peter Gabriel refered to _Security_ as the "wold's first disposable
>>album title."  Apparently the record company insisted on some sort of
>>identification on it so a compromise was reached wherein a sticker saying
>>"Security" was placed on the wrapping of each album.  Peter Gabriel agreed
>>since this sticker would usually be thrown out as soon at the album was
>>unwrapped.
>
>Interesting story, but it's not what I remember.  "So" was supposed to be
>disposable because it didn't mean anything, and it was just chosen for its
>shape.
>
>On the other hand, my memory sucks.
>
>--
>Jon Drukman (imploded dub mix)               uunet!sco!jondr      jondr@sco.com
>Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.

My memory coincides with nitehawk...  I definitely remember this quote
associated with "Security," not "So."

gl

Gene Lege' Jr. - Regional Support Engineer / Software  pyramid!pyrtech!genel
Pyramid Technology Corporation - Customer Support, Houston TX (713) 682-2711

donley@milton.u.washington.EDU (Erik Olson) (05/31/91)

meep@WPI.WPI.EDU (The Cutter) writes:

>For what it's worth, my copy of "Security" mentions the "first disposable
>album title" quote on the back, referring to that album.  I think the comments
>about "So" are correct, however (chosen for shape, not meaning).

>Anyone else?

Isn't So the fifth note in the scale (ie: Do Re Mi Fa), corresponding
to the fifth Gabriel album?  Maybe just a coincidence.

  Erik
--
Erik D. Olson					 donley@milton.u.washington.edu

	Quoth the raven... "Eat my shorts!"  "BART!!!"