[rec.music.gaffa] Others singing Kate songs

JLUECK@NUACVM.BITNET (Jeff Lueck) (05/31/91)

Hello Love-Hounds -

I know Pat Benetar sings *her* version of _Wuthering Heights_, but has
any other artist (or shall I say "artist") performed any of Kate's
music?  I haven't heard of any, but it would be interesting to find out.

Take care all!

|           JEFF LUECK              | OFFICE PHONE: (708) 491-3786     |
|HUMAN RESOURCES, NORTHWESTERN UNIV.| EMAIL: JLUECK@NUACVM.ACNS.NWU.EDU|
|720 UNIV. PL, EVANSTON, IL 60208   | *INSERT CLEVER MESSAGE HERE*     |

jburka@SILVER.UCS.INDIANA.EDU (Jeff Burka) (05/31/91)

Jeff Lueck asks

>has any other artist (or shall I say "artist") performed any of Kate's
>music?  I haven't heard of any, but it would be interesting to find out.

There are only two I know of.  A year or two somebody covered RUTH.
I don't remember the name of the band or album, or even the year.  I seem
to remember reading that Gilmour had something to do with it.  I'm sure
someone else will have the details...I've never even heard it.

I do have an admittedly bad dub of Julie Covington singing "The Kick Inside."
I have no idea what it's from.  Vickie sez that Julie Covington made
a name for herself by being the woman who sung "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"
from the musical _Evita_.  It's a good cover, with a slightly coarser
arrangement.  I don't think it's nearly as good as the original (yeah, I
know, big shock...;-) but it's fun to pull out every now and then.

So are there any other covers?

Personally, I'm dying to hear a huge choir sing "Night-Scented Stock".

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (06/01/91)

>I know Pat Benetar sings *her* version of _Wuthering Heights_, but has
>any other artist (or shall I say "artist") performed any of Kate's
>music?  I haven't heard of any, but it would be interesting to find out.

Here's some that come to mind off the top of my head:

Natalie Cole -- "The Man With The Child In His Eyes"
Hue and Cry -- "The Man With The Child In His Eyes"
Tilt (a Belgian group) -- "Running Up That Hill"
Blue Pearl -- "Running Up That Hill"

In addition, there are some where I don't remember the artist.
In particular, a version of "Them Heavy People" on which Kate
sings the background vocals, and a very bizarre version of
"Wuthering Heights" that Vickie played for me once.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.UK (Scott Telford) (06/03/91)

In article <9105311722.AA16075@das.llnl.gov> ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J.
Suranyi) writes:
>Hue and Cry -- "The Man With The Child In His Eyes"

Is this the Scottish Hue & Cry? (two guys that do mostly jazzy stuff) I
really can't imagine this. Maybe there's an American Hue & Cry too?

>...In particular, a version of "Them Heavy People" on which Kate
>sings the background vocals,...

According to "A Visual Documentary", it was by Ray Shell, and, yes, with
Kate on BVs. Wierd!
| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

donley@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Erik Olson) (06/03/91)

Don't forget the extremely available Pat Benetar version
of "Wuthering Heights".  That was where I discovered Kate
in the first place.

   Erik
--
Erik D. Olson					 donley@milton.u.washington.edu

	Quoth the raven... "Eat my shorts!"  "BART!!!"

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (06/04/91)

>In article <9105311722.AA16075@das.llnl.gov> ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J.
>Suranyi) writes:
>>Hue and Cry -- "The Man With The Child In His Eyes"
>
>Is this the Scottish Hue & Cry? (two guys that do mostly jazzy stuff) I
>really can't imagine this. Maybe there's an American Hue & Cry too?

Yep, it's the Scottish guys.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov