[rec.music.gaffa] ha! got another one!

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (06/02/91)

"I gotta play some of this woman's music for you..."

"Who is she?"

"I told you already, she's this great singer/songwriter from Albany, NY.
If you like KaTe as much as you say you do, you'll like it."

[pop in _Ecto_]

"Neat stuff.  Pretty voice."

[songs continue; "Would That I Could" starts]

"Are you sure this isn't Kate Bush?"

[a few minutes later]

"Can I dub these albums"

[upon hearing the response]

"Oh.  Do you have an address and a catalog so I can order them?"

<grin>

[a while later, amidst raves]

"I just can't believe she doesn't have a recording contract with a major
label.  It just doesn't seem fair."

It's amazing how simple it is to do this to people...;-)

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (06/03/91)

From article <9106020801.AA14581@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, by jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU:

> "I gotta play some of this woman's music for you..."
>
> "Who is she?"
>
> "I told you already, she's this great singer/songwriter from Albany, NY.
> If you like KaTe as much as you say you do, you'll like it."

Sorry, but this really irks me.  Why not just rephrase it into "If you don't
like this you don't like KaTe as much as you say you do."?  I doubt
that Jeff really meant it that way but I've noticed a trend toward a
certain "Musical Correctness" in this group that I find distressing.

The last artist that was presented to me this way was Jane Siberry.  I
tried it, it's nice, it doesn't particularly appeal to me.  Jane
Siberry is obviously talented but to me it's absurd to put her in
in a class with Kate.

I do like Kate just as much I as I say I do.  Take my word for it.  I
also appreciate very much the pointers that I find here to other
artists of interest.  But I reserve the right make my own decisions
on who's music I like or don't like and I refuse to have my love of
Kate's music called into question because of it.

What's wrong with "If you like Kate, you'll probably like it"?

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

larry@csccat.cs.COM (Larry Spence) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun3.162934.16156@cbnews.cb.att.com> nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
>From article <9106020801.AA14581@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, by jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU:
>>
>> "I gotta play some of this woman's music for you..."
>>
>> "Who is she?"
>>
>> "I told you already, she's this great singer/songwriter from Albany, NY.
>> If you like KaTe as much as you say you do, you'll like it."
>
>Sorry, but this really irks me.  Why not just rephrase it into "If you don't
>like this you don't like KaTe as much as you say you do."?  I doubt
>that Jeff really meant it that way but I've noticed a trend toward a
>certain "Musical Correctness" in this group that I find distressing.

I don't think that this is a particularly new or startling trend here.  I
guess it's inevitable that in a newsgroup dedicated to Kate that the value
of artists would be proportional to their Kate-ishness.  Rare exceptions
to this have been a few mentions of Bill Nelson, David Sylvian, etc., by
IED and others.  Can someone clue me in as to whether I should order the Happy
CD because it's Kate-ish or because (I hope) it's great in a _unique_ way?
Let's face it, no one can out-Kate Kate (lately, not even Kate can do it %( ).

>The last artist that was presented to me this way was Jane Siberry.  I
>tried it, it's nice, it doesn't particularly appeal to me.  Jane
>Siberry is obviously talented but to me it's absurd to put her in
>in a class with Kate.

I agree with that, for what it's worth.  She's very talented, but seems to
be standing directly in Kate's shadow.  I like _The Walking_, but it didn't
make me want to run out and buy her other albums.  Too uneven.  Just MHO...

>But I reserve the right make my own decisions
>on who's music I like or don't like and I refuse to have my love of
>Kate's music called into question because of it.

Fer sure.  Do we really want to encourage a crop of second-generation Kates
to flood the market?  Just listen to Toyah screw up the new Fripp disc for a
good example.  N.B.: I'm not implying that Happy is one of these, I haven't
heard her stuff yet.  Could someone please give us a mini-review? If it's
already been done, I'd appreciate a copy by email.  Thanks.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com