[rec.music.gaffa] Happy Lyrics

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/01/91)

This is a re-edited repost
--------------------------

Vickie here.

Re: Happy Lyrics

First, a message to Neil Calton...please don't delete Happy's
lyrics for the printouts you send to Peter & Krys at Homeground.
They (Hi!) have Happy's first four albums and I'm sure they would
enjoy having the lyrics too. THANKS!

I think everyone, even those who haven't heard the songs (yet!), will
enjoy reading Happy's lyrics. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway),
everyone should either print them out or put them in an easily found
file. Even if you're not interested in Happy now, that might very well
change at some point in the future. I hope they'll go in the archives.
I tried to give (in print) each song a different "look" because, though
it might be distracting or annoying to some, it might help others who
are just starting to separate and distinguish the 53 songs.

Of course, lyrics cannot in any way give you a sense of how extraordinary
and original the music is. Or how beautiful and expressive Happy's voice
is. The slight Celtic lilts, the textured emotion, crystal clear clarity,
the honesty and vulnerability and strength and awesomness of it. Sometimes,
I rewind over and over again just to marvel at how she sings lines like
"Ever see the wings of a dragonfly? Paper-thin and cellophane
And quickly broken like the will to live for a mind in pain" or "Get your
head out of the cotton clouds, put your precious feet on the floor" or
"Go away way very far away, take your leave" (in that same song, "If So",
I get goosebumps and teary the way she sings "Never grieve the loss")
or "Farewell thou lob of spirits, I'll be gone" or "And they're telling me
'You should find out what is wrong'  I think I'm alright, I'm still putting
up a fight. But I keep on losing, soon I'll be dying of fright" or
"Despite the bad ways of the girl with the purest of hearts" or any number
of others.

Could anybody imagine that a line like "I'll speak to you, but my flesh will
burn" could sound so achingly beautiful? No, unless you've heard Happy.

----

Big, large, very huge amounts of !!THANKS!! to Jeffrey for taking on
the enormous task of sitting down and transcribing each song on the
first three albums. I'd never even tried to attempt it, even though
I truly love lyric sheets. Seeing lyrics in front of you brings the
meanings of songs closer to home. Jeff accurately caught lines that
I'd puzzled over and given up on over two years ago! I'm in awe at his
accomplishment. Happy was amazed and quite pleased too. She said that
she was re-listening to "Ally Ally Oxenfree" and SHE couldn't even
understand the lyrics. It had been so long since she'd heard the song
that she'd forgotten what she wrote. Yet Jeff got nearly ALL the words
right! Wow! She wrote "I'm amazed you got any of these lyrics! Good job!!"

There were lines that had him shaking his head though.
Michael helped clear a few of those up and I went through and put in
my own corrections and comments, then mailed them off to Happy.

She sent them back with lots of corrections in red pen and in purple
ink she wrote little comments about some songs. I'll share some of those
with you in a bit.
Before I got the lyrics back from her, Happy told me over the phone
answers to some of the most vexing lyrics.
For example, parts of the song "For We Believe" were particularly
difficult because the high and low voices are singing different
lines but they're intertwined so without knowing the exact lyrics it's
impossible to understand what's going on.

This is an example of what was sent Happy to correct:

For We Believe  (high voice)  ((high & low voices together))
 [Vickie's interpratation-sounds like...]

What are these things
[What (I) ees (are) these thing (we) ((words alway))]
Why is this love ...
[What (I) ees (ah) this love (we) ((words alway))]

Where is this hole coming from?
Where is this hole coming from?

HUH???  HELP!!!

This is the corrected version of that line:

For We Believe

    (Why)  (are)    (we)      ((worlds away?))
What     is     this    thing?
    (Why)  (are)    (we)      ((worlds away?))
What     is     this    love?

Where is this hope coming from?
Where is this hope coming from?

....Thanks to Happy for clearing THAT one up! Whew! Of course, now that
I know what she's singing it sounds perfectly clear to me!

----

"Oh The Drears"-the word came from a schoolchum of Happy's, who was
always moaning about having the drears. The word stuck in Happy's mind.
In the beginning of the song (that *wonderful* beginning) the sound you
can't quite make out is the sound of Happy calling out to her engineer.
Listen on headphones to catch it during the echoes.

----

I asked Happy about "Rainkeeper" and said it was a puzzle to me.
She's no help at all, saying "It's a puzzle to me too" :-)
The lyrics are sort of "Mother Stands For Comfort"-ish.

----

The song "He's Alive" is about "Alice" the He-monster. It's based
on a painting Happy did when she was 14 or 15 years old. I haven't
yet heard the entire story. Can't wait for that one! I always liked
the song but thought of it mainly as the song separating two of my
favorites (Given In and Possessed) so was always kind of impatient
with it. Believe me, now that I know the lyrics and the "Alice arise"
part is clear, I'm listening to it with a new mindset!

----

The "Mikey" in the song "The Revelation" is a fellow Happy used to
know who was disgustingly optimistic. Disgustingly because Happy was
at that time one of the most pessimistic people on earth. The song is
not really "about" him, but sort of "to" him. Telling him, in a way,
that there is no hope, there is no love etc. Kind of like "See reality
willya?" Those who have yet to get _Warpaint_ should know that Happy
doesn't have that kind of attitude anymore. She can still remember and
see currently the very dark side of life, but knows (and writes about)
the light and goodness of life. _Warpaint_ is her most optimistic album,
even though there are major streaks of darkness in there too.

----

In "Moonbeam Friends" I thought the line was "my oxy and my troll"
and I asked her what an oxy was, thinking it was some mythical creature.
As Michael stated, the line is actually "my oxy and nitro" but she now
much prefers Michael's line "my oxy and my toe" and maybe it will end
up on a tape somewhere, sometime, just for fun!
This song is sung from a child's point of view, about comforting, yet
somewhat sinister, "imaginary" friends.

----

All of us had come up with some very inventive words that were as wrong
as could possibly be. I think Happy had a grand time with it all. In the
song "Number One" none of us could get this one phrase. Michael came up
with "...and the clays maray" (that's what it sounded like to me too!)
and Happy wrote on the printout "What the hell is a clays maray?"
Well, Happy, gee...we were wondering ourselves. The line is actually
"(The ways away)... from the craze we're in." I knew that...yeah...

Another good one was in the song "The First To Cry", which none of us
could understand. Michael wrote "untanglase or in tan raise" and Happy
drew a little arrow to it and wrote "What the hell is he smoking?"
Well, of course, the line is "mine are timeless" and it sounds perfectly
clear to me now.

Since I've had the tapes for nearly three years and phonetic phrases
stick in the brain, I'll probably catch myself singing "...and the
clays maray" or "a million to one" often, before realizing it.
Happy & I were talking about that. I was telling her about having the
pre-release cassette of TSW and listening to it countless times before
actually getting the real lyrics from IED. A line in "Rocket's Tail"
sounded like "I put on my traveling suit" and it was logical, so I sang
it that way to myself. Getting the lyrics and finding out the line was
"I put on my cloudiest suit" was actually a disappointment and I've
continued to sing it my way. Happy said "wait a minute, you mean she's NOT
singing 'traveling suit'?" She had heard it that way too and had never
checked the lyric sheet to correct it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

----

In "Noone Here" Jeff thought the line was "Well, I locked my own brain"
and Michael thought it was "Well, I longed a warm rain" and I just put
a ?. Happy said she thought we all knew what she was really singing but
just wouldn't let ourselves believe it.

 "Well, I want a warm brain"

Meaning that the lonely character (Happy...it's autobiographical) in the
song was desperate for intellectual companionship.
This song speaks directly to the soul of anyone who's seen a beautiful
sunrise or a glorious lightning storm while alone felt honered and awed
to be able to see it, but ached to share it with someone.

Happy's cat makes a special appearance, a kittycameo, in the song. A long
time ago I asked her about the kitty and she said it was a "secret" so
it seems there's a mystery there.

----

In "To The Funnyfarm" she really does sing "And when I go I'll bring
with me both of my bros" meaning her brothers. She said they were a
bit on the "strange" side too. I guess! Happy was telling me that she
had sent a CD of _Warpaint_ to one of her brothers weeks ago and had
not heard from him. Not a word. I was very indignant and said "I guess
he doesn't realize he's related to the Holy Ghost!" Amusing, but very
sad, in a way. Think of the support and help that Kate's brothers have
provided to her. What would she have done without them? Happy's had to
work without much of a family support system. I don't mean to slam
her brothers, because I don't know much about them, but from what I've
heard, they're not giving Happy the support she deserves.

Anyway, this is a great song! This is one of the very first songs she
ever wrote.

----
The first line in "Possessed" is "Analyzed, crucified, caught on Satan's
wing. Angels of night, vultures in flight. I've a love for the fatal
things"

This song should have been used for that 20/20 "Exorcism" (snort-snort)

Ooooooooh! This is one of my all-time favorite songs. It's fast-paced and
causes my mind to warp a bit every time I hear it.

----

In "I Am A Legend" she's been to "Anglo-land" and beyond the castle walls.

Yeoooow!!! This song is a complete hoot! Who says Happy doesn't have a
sense of humor? This song is so funny, the way she sings it, and especially
the "La-De-Da's" at the end....! Very sly! Beyond that, it's not a "novelty"
song. The music and voices and arrangements are totally brilliant!
This is Chris' favorite Happy song.

Happy wrote about this song: "I wanted respect for my musical abilities,
but at the time, I was waitressing and bartending. The people there
couldn't have cared less that I was a songwriter. It's funny how much I
wanted them all to know how good _I_ thought I was"

----

"I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep" - Happy writes "This song describes what
I felt and saw one night, while in a trance-like state"

----

Where Do I Go? - "I think I need people to know that when I use the
word "lord" I do not mean it in the religious sense. I'm not speaking
to "The Lord" but more to myself. Blasphemous to some, I'm sure"

Not to me. I can't imagine another word that would fit better.
That song is excruciatingly, heart-wrenchingly honest and powerful.

----

I had asked Happy what nightmare inspired "Beat It Out" and she wrote
"Just me, being weird. I think I was testing out my low register. I
wasn't in the habit of using it that much at that time"

----

Steve VanDevender writes:

> I swear Happy sings "I'm not a peapod, but someday I will pass on
> through" in "The Wretches Gone Awry".

Steve, I would have disagreed strongly. I was convinced the line was
"... _*Under*_ the peapod, but someday we will pass on through"  :-)
The line is actually "I'll never be part, but someday I will pass on
through".

> For those of you willing to buy Happy Rhodes's music based on
> just our recommendations, the best way I can describe it is that
> it's very simple, light-sounding music on the first listen, but
> the lyrics are complex and often dark.  Vickie's example quote
> from "To the FunnyFarm": "And when I go I'll be efficient at
> making ashtrays" not only looks rather chilling in print, but the
> delivery is subtly amazing.  "The First To Cry" is another song
> that sounds like some sort of romantic tearjerker if you don't
> pay attention, but which seems to be a song about suicide to me.

Yes, that's right. Happy's main euphemisms for suicide are the
words "oblige" and "comply" and both are used in "The First To Cry"
as in "I haven't the courage to oblige" and "If I choose to comply,
not one would wonder why would I". It's a heart-wrenchingly sad song
about the struggle within (and wondering if anyone would care) and
to me it's a sister song to "I Have A Heart" on _Rearmament_.

One of my listeners in Kansas City, a very, very nice and gentle man
named John Hasseltine, was a Kate, Jane and Happy fan. He committed
suicide because his girlfriend left him. I played this song in his honor.

----

I had told Happy that many of her songs make me cry or want to cry and
she wrote a very poignant thing about the song "Let me Know, Love":
"This is one of the only songs that makes *me* cry when I hear it.
It was and is the truest expression of what I was feeling. I finally
realized that in order to have peace and love, I'd have to give up my
habit of self-loathing. I started fighting back at this point"

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)

"I've confided in you, my friend. Now we have something to do"
                                                    Happy Rhodes

Chris here,
     I'm posting the above for Vickie. We will post the lyrics in little
bits, seeing if the first ones appear.

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/01/91)

This is a repost
----------------

Vickie here.

     For all to enjoy, for many to cherish:

------------cut here------------cut here--------------cut over here--------

Happy Rhodes

RHODES VOL. I
-------------

Side A                         Side B

1) Rainkeeper                  1) Moonbeam Friends
2) Oh The Drears               2) I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep
3) Given In                    3) The First To Cry
4) He's Alive                  4) Step Inside
5) Possessed                   5) The Wretches Gone Awry
6) I'll Let You Go
7) Number One
8) Case Of Glass

all songs copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes

Music, lyrics, voices and instruments - Happy Rhodes
except "Possessed"...Music by Happy - Lyrics by Happy and Dave Snyder

Side A

1) Rainkeeper
2) Oh The Drears
3) Given In
4) He's Alive
5) Possessed
6) I'll Let You Go
7) Number One
8) Case Of Glass
------------------

1) RAINKEEPER

   Ooh rainlover
   You're the one
   You're the one I'm dreaming of
   Be my love

   Ooh rainkeeper
   Does your heart..
   Does it overflow with fear?
   You and I could cry a sea

       'Cause I'm the other side
        Know where you hide
        I'm there
        So be wary of me rainlover
        In my dreams
        You are lying by me
        And we're free

   Ooh rainmaker
   Do you know..
   Do you know where my love goes?
   Only mother knows

        That I'm the other half
        The psychopath
        I'm here
        Better fear me
        Your other side
        Know where you hide
        I'm there
        So be wary of me rainkeeper

   Time to die
   And she wants you by her side
   Forces to collide

2) OH THE DREARS

   (((((((  Oh the drears  )))))))
   (((((((  Oh the drears  )))))))

   Oh the drears of being so strong
   Oh the drears of never being wrong

     It's such a strain
     To find the strength within
     And such a drain to fight and always win

   Oh the drears of the cold cold night
   Oh the drears of seeing death in our sight

     And knowing every moment
     That what I feel is true
     The drears of knowing that I'll make it through

               Oh the drears
                  the drears

        ((((((((((((   Oh  ))))))))))))

   Oh the drears of the nights are creeping
   Oh the drears are never sleeping

     It's such a strain
     To find the strength within
     And such a drain to fight and always win
     And such a drain to fight and always win

   (((((((  Oh the drears )))))))

3) GIVEN IN

         I have my pain
         I have my love
            And my hate

   And I'll not live without one of them
   And I do what I can to keep on top of every one of them

   I've got to live by the rules of my heart
   And to trust my feeble mind
   And I do what I can to keep on top of every one of them

         Oh child be strong in all you do
         Know your heart through and through

         Oh child be strong in all you do
         Know your heart through and through

   I have a friend who's been inside my tiny brain
   He's seen the aging and the mildew from the rain
   He does what he can to keep on top of every one of them

   At last I know what's in my soul and in my bones
   The things that cannot be denied

   And I do what I can to keep on top of every one of them
   I do what I can to ward away the very death of them

         Oh child be strong in all you do
         Know your heart through and through

         Oh child be strong in all you do
         Know your heart through and through

4) HE'S ALIVE         {"Alice" is one of Happy's monster paintings}

   He's alive
   He's alive
   And why?
   Because I let him live

      Open your eyes

      Alice arise

   Take my breath
   Breath my life
   Come through the walls
   Your lady calls

   Lean on me
   There's no captivity
   Roam the streets
   Invade their dreams

   He's alive
   He's alive
   And why?
   Because I let him live

      Open your eyes

      Alice arise

   Take my breath
   Breath my life
   Come through the walls
   Your lady calls

   Lean on me
   There's no captivity
   Roam the streets
   Invade their dreams

       He is alive
       He is alive

5) POSSESSED    [Music by Happy - Lyrics by Happy and Dave Snyder]

   Ooh don't hate me if I break under the strain

   Analyzed, crucified
   Caught on Satan's wing
   Angels of night
   Vultures in flight
   I've a love for the fatal things

      All these and many more
      Float within my lobes
      Colors dancing
      Blood-red oozing
      From liquid strobes

   Come see the visions
   Come feel the pain
   Of sores that never heal
   And then my friend
   Well, maybe you'll see
   How my world's
   Become unreal

      Kissing the night
      And cursing the morning
      Must be a crime
      Dismembered
      From the faith of youth
      And doing my time

   Culture-shocked eyes
   That hide the fears
   Eroded cheeks
   From acid tears
   Where every smile
   Escapes from my face
   To seek refuge
   In a happier place

      And my mind
      It screams to be free
      And to find the structure
      My mind
      It screams to be free
      From what's possessing me

   Now don't hate me if I break under the strain

6) I'LL LET YOU GO

   Ultimately, I'll let you go
   I'll let you go
   And ultimately, I'll let you go
   I'll let you go

       But the pain will come and eat away at my soul

   Frequently, I've let you go
   I've let you go
   Frequently, I've let you go
   I've let you go

       And the pain has come and it ate away at my soul

       That's how I know

   That ultimately, I'll let you go
   I'll let you go
   And ultimately, I'll let you go
   I'll let you go

7) NUMBER ONE

   The day must come for us to begin
   The ways away from the craze we're in

      These hand are yours
      Baby to hold in your own
      Now don't let them go
      Don't leave them alone

   I'm not a child of righteous birth
   I live my pain for all it's worth

      I never wanted
      Baby to bring you down
      To grind and pound
      You into the ground

          You are the shine in the hollow of my eye
          And my time whiles by faster with you by my side

   Don't want for you to lose the smile
     (shine in the hollow of my eye)
   That keeps my heart apart from the bile

      So run within
      Baby fly with my brain
      Enter the realm
      Of mental strain

   What comes ahead is something I fear
     (shine in the hollow of my eye)
   I am what you feel and not what you hear

      Now love and life and I
      We don't get along
      So help me be strong
      Where I don't belong

          You are the shine in the hollow of my eye
          And oh my pain slithered away
          Hey baby, when you asked me to stay

          You are the shine in the hollow of my eye
          And my time whiles by faster with you by my side
          Faster with you by my side
          Faster with you by my side
          Faster with you by my side

8) CASE OF GLASS

   Oh how I could keep you
   Inside a case of glass
   Filled with smells of sweet
   With handles made of brass

   I'd keep you from cruel world
   Living safe and warm
   I'd lie and watch you breathe
   Protect and love your form

       If you ever wander
       I pray that you will find
       A love equal in power
       With limits undefined

   But such a lack of nobility
   Would be a deed unjust
   But I want to keep my faith in love
   And sadly so, I must

       So if you ever wander
       I pray that you will find
       A love equal in power
       With limits undefined

       If you ever wander
       I pray that you will find
       A love equal in power
       With limits undefined

   But I could keep you
   Inside a case of glass

         Rhodes Vol. I - all songs copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes
         -------------

Side B

1) Moonbeam Friends
2) I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep
3) The First To Cry
4) Step Inside
5) The Wretches Gone Awry
--------------------------------

1) MOONBEAM FRIENDS

   Waiting on my slumber
    They rest upon my pane
     My tiny moonbeam friends
      Clinging to my rain

       And when I lift my shade
        They quietly fall through
         They land upon my wall
          Sparkling of blue

           And when I cry
            They sing to me
             My little lunar friends

      For every hurt my heart can feel
     They try to make amends

   One of them I know
    I call him by his name
     He has a special cause
      To keep this child insane

       They make me warm inside
        When everything is cold
         My heart is burning young
          My mind grows old

           The painted stage
            It comes alive at night
             When all the world is dead

      And I become the sole audience
     And they linger in my head

   Now follow me my loves
    Everywhere I go
     Shine on every hair
      My oxy and nitro

       We have the world tonight
        So keep me company
         And when the sun comes
          We will be history

           Now watch me in my troubled sleep
            My spirits of the night
             And be nocturnal for me still

      Be gone with the light
     Be gone with the light

2) I'M NOT AWAKE, I'M NOT ASLEEP

   I hear wind, moving trees
   My hand's being sqeezed
         But I'm not awake and I'm not asleep
   Under feet, the steps are cold
   My eyes are feeling old
         I'm not awake, I'm not asleep
   A leaf fell, but didn't land
   And the squeeze left my hand
         I'm not alone, someone's here
   He is in this place
   I have his legs near my face
         He's not awake, he's not asleep
   I'm hidden out of sight
   I move freely in the night
         I'm not awake, and I'm not asleep
   I hear horses running by
   And there's a storm in the sky
         I'm not awake, I'm not asleep
   Ahhhhhhhhh.........................

3) THE FIRST TO CRY

   I have no heart it seems
   When I need it, it leaves
   And I haven't the courage to oblige

   Why couldn't somebody cry for me
   This time?
   For I'm too frightened to reply

   As were the days of yore
   Mine are timeless

   Why couldn't somone have patience for me?
   Why couldn't someone be wise to my fears?
   Tell me why couldn't sombody cry for me
   This time?

   And if I should die, who'll be the first to cry?

   I have not the nerve to show anyone how I am
   For I'd be misunderstood

   Every time you're standing by my side
   I'm stricken with undying fear inside

   And if I choose to comply
   Not one would wonder why would I
   Who'll be the first to cry?

4) STEP INSIDE

   All's quiet now
   Step inside, step inside

   All's quiet now
   Step inside, step inside
        My mind
   Experience the other side

   I'm crying now
   Step inside, step inside

   I'm crying now
   Step inside, step inside
        My mind
   Experience the other side

        You're never safe in this atmosphere
        Do you want to be?
        You could be trapped inside of me
        Do you want to be?

   Are you alone?
   Step inside, step inside

   All alone?
   Step inside, step inside
        My mind
   Experience the other side

        You're never safe in this atmosphere
        Do you want to be?
        You could be trapped inside of me
        Do you want to be?

   Easily frightened?
   Step inside, step inside

   Easily frightened?
   Step inside, step inside
        My mind
   Experience the other side

5) THE WRETCHES GONE AWRY

   Mine are like the wings of a butterfly
    A dusty pair so,
   Don't you touch them or I'll never fly anywhere

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

   Ever see the wings of a dragonfly?
    Paper-thin and cellophane
   And quickly broken like the will to live for a mind in pain

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

                  I cannot change what is and
                 I cannot make it die
                  But I can love with all my heart
                 The wretches gone awry

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

   You know I can be rid of my time and the moon will always shine
   'Cause he knows I need him to walk this vile and crooked line

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

   And you can own all the light in the world and still be blind
    And lie and hide away from the people in the world and still be kind

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

                  I cannot change what is and
                 I cannot make it die
                  But I can love with all my heart
                 The wretches gone awry

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

   All I ask is you let me be to live like I do
    I'll never be part but someday I will pass on through

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

   You can pull the wings from a dragonfly
    And you can kill the flight of a butterfly
   But you can't harm me for I live with the freedom to decide

       And the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

                  You cannot change what is and
                 You cannot make it die
                  But you can love with all your heart
                 The wretches gone awry

           Say

                  You cannot change what is and
                 You cannot make it die
                  But you can love with all your heart
                 The wretches gone awry

       Yes the wretches have gone awry I saw them walk on by

                             The End

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/01/91)

This is a corrected repost
--------------------------

Vickie here.

             Enjoy......

-------------cut here----------cut here---------cut over here---------

Happy Rhodes

RHODES VOL. II
--------------

Side A                         Side B

1) Come Here                   1) Noone Here
2) The Revelation              2) To The FunnyFarm
3) Many Nights                 3) Asylum Master
4) Under And Over The Brink    4) Beat it Out
5) Let Me Know, Love           5) The Chase
6) Where Do I Go?
7) Not For Me
8) One Alien

all songs copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes

Music, lyrics, voices and instruments - Happy Rhodes

Side A

1) Come Here
2) The Revelation
3) Many Nights
4) Under And Over The Brink
5) Let Me Know, Love
6) Where Do I Go?
7) Not For Me
8) One Alien
---------------------------

1) COME HERE

   I see you almost every day
    You sing the words
     That I might say

   So don't you think that
    We could have something dear?
     Come here and let me
      Show you what I think

           Come here                Come here
              Come here                Come here
          Come here                Come here
                Come here                Come here

             I want to feel you in the dark, babe

                         Come here
                             Come home

   I see in you
    A million stars
     I know that you'll
      Go very far

   I only want to
    Know you better babe
     Give me the time to
      Show you what matters

           Come here                Come here
              Come here                Come here
          Come here                Come here
                Come here                Ahhhhh

            I want to feel you in the dark, babe

                        Come here
                            Come home

   Maybe you know me
    I'm right inside your closet
     Open the door
      And let me out

   If you can free me
    Then maybe we can play there
     All you have to do
      Is look my way

           Come here                Come here
              Come here                Come here
          Come here                Come here
                Come here                Ahhhhh

            I want to feel you in the dark, babe

                        Come here
                            Come home

   Can you tell me
    Why I shouldn't love you?
     Maybe I have something
      You might like

   Be still (shhhhhh) relax
    And let me have your hand, babe
     Come with the one
      Who'll love you as a man

           Come here                Come here
              Come here                Come here
          Come here                Come here
                Come here                Ahhhhh

             I want to feel you in the dark, babe

                        Come here
                            Come home

           Come here                Come here
              Come here                Come here
          Come here                Come here
                Come here                Come here

                I want to feel you in the dark

2) THE REVELATION

   There is no sun
   There's only moon
   It comes too late
   It comes too soon

         The only reality
          Isn't real at all

   There are no dreams (Mikey)
   There is no sleep
   There are no treasures
   For this little girl
   To keep

         The only reality
          Isn't real at all

   I know life (Mikey)
   Is a relative term
   And I won't live until
   I'm lying with the worms

          The only reality
           Isn't real at all

   There is no love (Mikey)
   There is no peace
   There's only me
   And my beast

         The only reality
          Isn't real at all

         The only reality
          Is you and me

3) MANY NIGHTS

   Tonight, tonight
   And for many nights

     Although I am not very real
     Am I something you can love?

  {repeat...}

4) UNDER AND OVER THE BRINK

   On the brink of complying
     I'm very slow
   And I say to myself:

   "Oh no, don't go
     Well I like you the way you are
   So please don't change
     Don't you know that your mind could rearrange?"

   So today it starts and tomorrow it ends
     I lost my soul and I lost my friends
   So today it ends and tomorrow it starts
     The brooding of a million hearts

         Music's the way, the only way I know
           It's time to let the brooding heart
         Choose the way to go

        'Cause love is not the answer
           It's never here to stay
         What's here through the night
           May be gone by day

   On the brink of attack
     I'm society prone
   And they're telling me:

     "You should find out what is wrong"

   I think I'm alright
     I'm still putting up a fight
   But I keep on losing
     Soon I'll be dying of fright

   On the brink of insanity
     I see my friend
   And I'm trying to tell him:

    "It can't be the end
   Well, you've made me live
     Now you've got more to give"

   If he goes o'er that brink
     Who will I cry with?

         Because music's the way, the only way I know
           It's time to let the brooding heart
         Choose the way to go

        'Cause love is not the answer
           It's never here to stay
         What's here through the night
           May be gone by day
         What's here through the night
           May be gone by day

5) LET ME KNOW, LOVE

   I wish you could feel what I do now
    Knowing what or why but never how

   It's hard making the emotions turn around
    The ones you want lost and never found

      Ooh can you feel it yet, love?
       Let me know when you do, love

   You know what it's like to disappoint yourself
    You store your confidence on a shelf
       (Let me know when you do)

   You hate the world for its influence on you
    You hate your heart for betraying you

      Can you feel it yet, love?
       Let me know when you do, love

   I can't get rid of those ugly things
    When peace flies over I miss its wings
       (Let me know when you do)

   I want to be the person in my dreams
    I find it harder than it seems

      Ooh can you feel it yet, love?
       Let me know when you do, love

6) WHERE DO I GO?

   I stepped on a life
   A living emotion
   I murdered the concept of devotion

   Oh lord..lord..let me die
   Or let me live not another lie

   I crushed a soul
   A soul like mine
   Oh lord, what was in my mind?

   Oh lord

        Where..where do I go from here?
        Oh lord..oh lord

   Let me get it back
   The heart inside
   Let me live again
   Give me back my pride

   All the faith that you had
   Can be born again
   Despite the bad ways of the girl
   With the purest of hearts
   Can you believe she's making a start?

   Baby I want to live
   I'm not ready to die
   Don't want to make my precious few cry

   Oh lord

        Where..where do I go from here?
        Oh lord..oh lord

   Oh lord while I'm young
   Don't take the breath from my lungs
   I will start again
   Oh babe with all of my friends
   They will trust in me lord
   Until the very end

   I stepped on a life   (I stepped on a life)
   A living emotion      (A living emotion)
   I murdered the concept of devotion

   Oh lord

        Oh lord..lord
        Let me die or let me live

7) NOT FOR ME

   No not for me
   Brutal simplicity
    Sane insincerity

   No not another day
   Wasted away
    On a mental stray

        Where is the man of my dreams?
         Where is the man of my dreams?

   Who will be the one
   To keep me from the sun?
    Ready and willing to run

   It's too, too far
   To all my perfect stars
    Nonexistent are

        Where is the man of my dreams?
         Where is the man of my dreams?

   Keep your life
   Keep your normal wife
    Live your tiny plant life

   No, not for me
   I tear instinctively
    And wish for idiocy

8) ONE ALIEN

              The spirit in me
     Knows your soul will be free

             One alien has come, unalien to one

                   Will they ever return
   To bring you back to where you belong?

                   You'll find a place
                     Of peaceful grace
          You've fought from the start
   For the road to all of their hearts

                   Will they ever return
   To bring you back to where you belong?

    Baby I'm here and I've been quite an alien too
                    I'm on a road that's parallel to you
    Baby I'm here and I've been quite an alien too
                    I'm on a road that's parallel to you

            Your love's too pure
       And your motives too sure
          A society cannot stand
             A truly genuine man

                   Will they ever return
   To bring you back to where you belong?

     Baby I'm here and I've been quite an alien too
                     I'm on a road that's parallel to you
     Baby I'm here and I've been quite an alien too
                     I'm on a road that's parallel to you

             The spirit in me
   Knows your soul will be free

         One alien has come, unalien to one
               One alien has come, unalien to one
  Alien has come, unalien to one

        Rhodes Vol. II - copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes
        --------------

Side B

1) Noone Here
2) To The FunnyFarm
3) Asylum Master
4) Beat it Out
5) The Chase
-------------------

1) NOONE HERE

   I feel warm and whole
   But there's noone here
   Yes, and mine's a heavy soul
   But there's noone here

                                        sun
                                     my    is
                                 Look        rising
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      And it's rising over there
      But there's noone here
      There's noone here
      I'm without a body
      To keep me warm
      And not even a kitty
      To share my storm

   Well I know what I need
   But there's noone here
   And I know just where I bleed
   But there's noone here      `
                                `
                                 `
                                        sun
                                     my    is
                                 Look        rising
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      And it's rising over there
      But there's noone here
      There's noone here
      And I'm without a body
      To keep me warm
      And not even a kitty
      To share my storm

   Well I want a warm brain
   But there's noone here
   'Cause mine's under a strain
   And there's noone here

                                        sun
                                     my    is
                                 Look        rising
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      And it's rising over there
      But there's noone here
      There's noone here
      And I'm without a body    ^ ^
      To keep me warm           * *
      And not even a kitty       +      ^ ^
      To share my storm                 * *
                                         +
               ^ ^
               * *
                +

      And not even a kitty
      To share my storm

tu) to the funnyfarm

   i'm on my way
    i can feel it coming on
  my brain's been strained of all reality

     i'm on my way
   to the funnyfarm
    and when i go i'll bring with me
  both of my bros

      i've lost my way
    through this world of profanities and
     i thrive on the wind and the rain and the cold
  i've lost my way
    through this world of profanities
   and i'll not find it before i'm very old

      i need reassurance that i'll always be insane
     i want my teddy bear to lay on
       and when i go
    i'll be efficient at making ashtrays
     when i go
       i'll do nothing but catch me moonrays

           For I know what you don't know
           And I see things you'll never see
           And I've a different way of living you know
           And I've such a different frame of mind
           And

   so...

    i'm on my way
   to the funnyfarm
     and when i go i'll bring with me
    both of my bros

3) ASYLUM MASTER

   Oh silent moving chill
   It's looking bleak
   You're not mine to touch and
   I dare not speak
   I need your presence
   Be you dead or alive
   My misery demands
   Your company to survive

            The living, breathing corpse
            Whose shadow rightly
            Before me walks

   Only in your eyes lies your soul
   And only in your arms am I whole
   So damn your father for loving your mother
   I curse him
   For now I want no other

            The living, breathing corpse
            Whose shadow rightly
            Before me walks

   Master of the round walls
   Still my heart
   It only makes my dreams fall apart
   Trap me in your courtyard
   Of broken stone
   Oh it's cold and grey but
   I'll not be alone

            The living, breathing corpse
            Whose shadow rightly
            Before me walks

4) BEAT IT OUT

   DWINDLE DAY, YOUR FLICKERING RAY
   PUT TO REST, SO THAT I MAY LAY

   TO CHURN AND ROLL
   ON THE FLOOR
   AND BEAT IT OUT, AND BEAT IT OUT

   GOT TO GET IT OUT
   GOT TO GET IT OUT
   [REPEAT]

5) THE CHASE

   ||   My feet are failing me
   ||   I need to rest
   ||   My mind is killing me
   ||   And it's doing its best
   ||   The chase is on, and I'm losing
   ||   And I'm trying to run, my legs are refusing
   ||   And I can feel his cold breath
   ||   Lingering like death
   ||   Can't go any faster, I think I'm beat
   ||  I feel the disaster
   ||   And I feel the lack of his heat
   ||   The chase is on, and I'm losing
   ||   And I'm trying to run, my legs are refusing
   ||   And I can feel his cold breath
   ||   Clinging to my neck
   ||   I'm running toward you
   ||    Don't fail me now
   ||    I don't live life so well
   ||    I need you to show me how
   ||    The chase is on, and I'm losing
   ||    And I'm dying to run, my legs are refusing
   ||    And I can feel his cold breath
   ||    And it's lingering like death
   ||    And I can feel his cold cold breath
   ||    And it's clinging to my neck
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    And I can feel his breath
   ||    And it's on the back of my leg
   ||    And I can feel his breath
   ||    And it's on the back of my leg
   ||    And I want your hand
   ||    And I want your love
   ||    I want your hand
   ||    I want your hand
   ||    I need your love
   ||    I need your love
   ||    I want your hand
   ||    I want your hand
   ||    I need your love
   ||    I need your love
   ||    I need you to be strong
   ||   'Cause I am here and the chase is on
   ||    Need you to be strong
   ||   'Cause I am here and the chase is on
   ||    Need you to be strong
   ||   'Cause I am here and the chase is on
   ||    I need you to be strong
   ||   'Cause I am here and the chase is on
   ||    I need you to be strong
   ||   'Cause I am here and the chase is on
   ||    And I'm losing
   ||    The chase is on
   ||    Would you like to come along?
 <<*>>

   But I'm losing

                             The End

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/06/91)

This is a repost
----------------

Vickie here.

       This was the first Happy album I heard, and it's still my favorite.

             Last, but never least...

------------ cut here --------- cut here --------- cut over here -----------

Ecto
----

Side A                           Side B

1) I'm Going Back                1) Ecto
2) If Love Is A Game, I Win      2) I Cannot Go On
3) Would That I Could            3) Ode
4) Off From Out From Under Me    4) Don't Want To Hear It
5) Project 499                   5) Poetic Justice
6) I Won't Break Down            6) To Be E. Mortal
7) If So

all songs copyright 1987-Happy Rhodes

Music, lyrics, voices and instruments - Happy Rhodes

Side A

1) I'm Going Back
2) If Love Is A Game, I Win
3) Would That I Could
4) Off From Out From Under Me
5) Project 499
6) I Won't Break Down
7) If So
-----------------------------

1) I'M GOING BACK

       Where are
       My monsters and cats?

       Where are
       My attic antiques and bats?

   I'm going back
       I'm going back
           I'm going back

   I'm going back
       I'm going back
           I'm going back

       No life here
       In the room
       Where I sleep

       It's traveled ahead
       To my stony keep

   I'm going back (to the rain on the trees)
       I'm going back (to my kitty on the window)
           I'm going back

   I'm going back (to the strings of the Guild)
       I'm going back (to my heart's desire)
           I'm going back

       Where are
       My brothers, mother and dad?

       I had a family
       And friends

   I'm going back (to the rain on the trees)
       I'm going back (to my kitty on the window)
           I'm going back

   I'm going back (to the strings of the Guild)
       I'm going back (to my heart's desire)
           I'm going back

   I'm going back (to the rain on the trees)
       I'm going back (to my kitty on the window)
           I'm going back

   I'm going back (to the strings of the Guild)
       I'm going back (to my very sweet love)
           I'm going back

2) IF LOVE IS A GAME, I WIN

   Oh baby, don't you know I can feel it in your hands?
       You've been awake for a million years
   Oh baby, don't you know I'll have nobody else?
       I'm in love with you, and it feels good

          Oh this is where life begins
            If love is a game, I win

                (Repeat twice)

          If this is where life begins
            If love is a game I win

3) WOULD THAT I COULD   |Excerpts of "Would That I Could" taken from    |
                        |A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT'S DREAM-William Shakespeare|

            Over hill, over dale
              Thorough bush, thorough brier
                Over park, over pale
                  Thorough flood, thorough fire

      Would that I could    I'd be serving my Titania
      Would that I could    I'd never return
      Would that I could    I'd be loving my Oberon
      Would that I could    I'd stay for good

            I do wander everywhere
              Swifter than the moon's sphere
                And I serve the fairy queen
                  To dew her orbs upon the green

      Would that I could     I'd be serving my Titania
      Would that I could     I'd never return
      Would that I could     I'd be loving my Oberon
      Would that I could     I'd stay for good

            The cowslips tall, her pensioners be
              In their gold coats, spots you see
                Those be rubies, fairy favours
                  In those freckles live their savours

      Would that I could     I'd be serving my Titania
      Would that I could     I'd never return
      Would that I could     I'd be loving my Oberon
      Would that I could     I'd stay for good

            I must go seek some dewdrops here
              And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear
                Farewell thou lob of spirits, I'll be gone
                  Our queen and all her elves come here anon

      Would that I could     I'd be serving my Titania
      Would that I could     I'd never return
      Would that I could     I'd be loving my Oberon
      Would that I could     I'd stay for good

4) OFF FROM OUT FROM UNDER ME

   I knew a man who was very odd
   He'd always thought that someone was following him
   He'd talk of entities that didn't exist
   Or so I thought...

           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me

   His paranoia intrigued me so
   I was sure he'd escaped from the looney bin
   Every day it became clearer
   He was right...

           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me

      Goodbye my lunatic, I hope you're faring well
      I'm trying to keep them off from out from under you
      You were right little madman they're hovering at my head
      I'm trying to keep them off from out from under me

   This man had knowledge of right and wrong
   He could separate light from dark
   He showed me the horrors of infesting thoughts

                  Of emotions

           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
           Off from out from under me
   Out from under me    Off from out from under me
   Out from under me    Off from out from under me
   Out from under me    Off from out from under me
   Out from under me    Off from out from under me
   Out from under me    Off from out from under me

      Thanks be my lunatic, I know he's faring well
      It's over now, they're off from out from under him
      They can't hurt the madman
      Now they're hammering at my head
      I must die to get them off from out from under me

           Off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off from out from under me
 Get 'em   off

5) PROJECT 499

   They say I've changed beyond compare
    I've ventured far beyond despair
   The atmosphere is different here
    It reeks of gloom and valid fear
   It's all set up, the way is clear
    All the bases been covered
   The time is near
    And it was all so easy, cried not a tear
   Won't be surprised to find my reaper near

             Oh baby please don't go
     I'm so tired and you're so right by my soul

   And as of now my fate looks grim
    The light is there but growing dim
   And if there's a reason for my mind
    It's been lost far behind
   So to and fro emotions go
    When life is done no tears will flow
   For days for me are seldom fun
    Residing I'm the only one

             Oh baby please don't go
     I'm so tired and you're so right by my soul

6) I WON'T BREAK DOWN

   You'll never win, I won't break down
   Because I have the strength of a million souls
   Though you will try, I won't despair
   Because I've lived the life of a million lives
   Always known just where I was going

          To have peace with me
          And to have peace with you

            And I can see that day
            Yes I can see that day

   Do you know just where you're going?
   Do you have the strength to pursue your dreams?
   Through the years my eyes have cried
   But I don't run away from the things I fear
   There's no question that I am here

          To have peace with me
          And to have peace with you

            And I can see that day
            Yes I can see that day

   You'll never win, I won't break down
   Because I have the strength of a million souls
   Though you will try, I won't despair
   Because I've lived the life of a million lives
   Always known just where I was going

7) IF SO

   I ask you
     Now tell the truth
   I ask you
     Was it worth the price you paid?
   If so...

   I know you loved me
     Darling
   But I need to know
     Did you mean to hurt me so?
   If so...

       Go away way very far away, take your leave
       I'll never hate you, I'll never think of you
       And I'll never grieve

   Did you want it all?
     Free love
   Did it satisfy?
     Was it your intentions to deceive?
   If so...

   You made me happy
     You made me cry
   You gave me hope
     Was my happiness a lie?
   If so...

       Go away way very far away, take your leave
       I'll never hate you, I'll never think of you
       And I'll never grieve

            I'll never grieve the loss

   I ask you
     Now tell the truth
   I ask you
     Was it worth the price you paid?
   If so...

        Ecto   all songs copyright 1987-Happy Rhodes
        ----

Side B

1) Ecto
2) I Cannot Go On
3) Ode
4) Don't Want To Hear It
5) Poetic Justice
6) To Be E. Mortal

------------------------

1) ECTO

   Should I die?
   Don't take time to wonder
   Is she near?
   Or are her brains asunder?
   This spirit must exist
   And move on to better things

    Ecto
        Ecto
    Ecto
        Ecto

   Don't look for me
   Don't call my name
   I'll kiss you goodnight
   My soul will not evaporate
   My only desire
   Will be to communicate

    Ecto
        Ecto
    Ecto
        Ecto

    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                I'll be ecto

   If you feel suddenly cool        Ecto
   While lying in bed                   Ecto
   Open your eyes                   Ecto
   I'll be over your head               Ecto
   Now don't be afraid              Ecto
   Don't reach out                      Ecto
   Just be glad that I exist        Ecto

    Ecto
        Ecto
    Ecto
        Ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                but I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                but I'll be ecto
    Ecto        I'll be here
        Ecto                but I'll be ecto
    Ecto
        Ecto
    Ecto
        Ecto

   Should I die?
   Don't ever take time to wonder
   Is she near?
   Are her brains asunder?

2) I CANNOT GO ON

   I cannot go on
    Living illusion like I do
   I can't go on

   I just can't go on
    Thinking my dreams will come true
   I just can't go on

          I know it sounds crazy
          I know I'm sounding insane
          But I cannot live with or without
          My hopes and my dreams

   Guess I'll always try
    To search for the perfect truth
   Guess I'll always try

   Till the day I die
    I'll look for the impossible
   Till the day I die

          I know it sounds crazy
          I know I'm sounding insane
          But I cannot live with or without
          My hopes and my dreams

   I cannot go on
    Killing my heart like I do
   I just can't go on

   I cannot go on
    Wanting the things I can't have
   I just can't go on

          I know it sounds crazy
          I know I'm sounding insane
          But I cannot live with or without
           My hopes and my dreams

          Live with or without
           My hopes and my dreams

          Live with or without
           My hopes and my dreams

3) ODE

   Believe..the sun will come out again
            the sun will come out again

   Believe..your love will return again
            your love will return again

   Never cry for the rain
    (never cry, never cry for the rain)
   It brings us soothing sounds to sleep by

   And never cry because you feel unloved
    (never cry, never cry 'cause you're unloved)
   That's what your arms are for
   To wrap them around yourself

   And believe..the sun will come out again
                the sun will come out again

       Believe..your love will return again
                your love will return again

   Never cry because you're lonely
    (never cry, never cry 'cause you're alone)
   Your love will always be around the bend

   And never cry because you think you can't make it
    (never cry, never cry 'cause you can't make it)
   You've made it this far
   That's better than most

   Believe..the sun will come out again
            the sun will come out again

   Believe..your love will return again
            your love will return again

   Never cry because you're scared
    (never cry, never cry because you're scared)
   The only thing that can harm you is your fear

   And don't ask why you must hurt so much
    (don't ask why, don't ask why you hurt so much)
   It's just a process of healing
   Remember..

   To believe..believe when I say..that I believe in you
               yes I believe in you

      Believe..believe when I say..that I'll love you always
               yes I'll love you always

4) DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT

   Ooh close your mouth
   Know I don't want to hear it
   No I don't want to hear it anymore

   You know I'm not your psychiatrist
   And although I care very much
   Know I don't want to hear it anymore

      Don't call me up to be your therapist
       Because you think I'm wise
        I'm a scary girl with a scary mind
         I'm a tired child
            (you won't find answers here)
           Think of me as a friend
            But I'll be of no use for you
             All my energy is exausted on me
               (there's no more room for you)

   You know I'm no doctor
   I'm only crowding words
   Just to ease the pain

   Whatever you do
   Never never rely on me
   I'm not a happy kid
   I'm barely getting by

      Don't cry to me about your love affairs
       I can't help you there
        I've no patience for bleeding on my floor
         Take your wounds elswhere
            (you won't find answers here)
           I cannot read your mind
            I can't even read my own
             What little sanity I have left in me
              Is fading fast
                 (there's no more time for you)

   Ooh I'm not listening
   To the hows and wherefores
   To the questions of your heart

   Ooh I'm the sole proprietor
   And I have to heal this head
   Before I lose it to the weeds

   Ooh close your mouth
   Know I don't want to hear it
   No I don't want to hear it anymore
   You know I'm not your psychiatrist
   And although I care very much
   Know I don't want to hear it anymore

   And although I care very much
    Know I don't want to hear it anymore

   And although I care very much
    Know I don't want to hear it anymore

5) POETIC JUSTICE

   Get out of my world of worlds
   You little poets crying pain
   Just stand on your podium preaching beauty
   I've gotta leave you in the rain
   Now I've heard many people like you
   From the undergrounds of France
   Pushing your sickly sweet impressions of romance

       My ears have parasites
       My ears have parasites

   You think I've never heard the lines before
   With the candy sun and the creaking door
   Get your head out of the cotton clouds
   Put your precious feet on the floor
   Don't give me those power lines
   Just hit it right on
   You can be precise
   Miracles of mystery
   With vagueness your device

       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)

   Now clarify, what did you say?
   You know you're not making any sense
   Are you describing a vision of beauty?
   Or a chain of events?
   Oh get to the point you sappy wimps
   I haven't got a lot of time

   Simplicity is beauty
   Are there poets less sublime?

       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites (go away)
       My ears have parasites
       My ears have parasites

6) TO BE E. MORTAL

                          Oh to be
                  Die to be      Want to be
                         Live to be

         ............. To be e. mortal ..............

                             The End

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/06/91)

This is a repost
----------------

Vickie here.
               sigh...

               <shakes herself out of a reverie>

               Enjoy...

----------cut here------------cut here-------------cut over here----------

Happy Rhodes

REARMAMENT
----------

Side A                         Side B

1) The Perfect Irony           1) Box H.A.P.
2) For We Believe              2) I Have A Heart
3) I Am a Legend               3) Crystal Orbs
4) 'Til the Dawn Breaks        4) Because I Learn
5) The Issue Is                5) Baby Don't Go
6) Friend You'll Be            6) Rhodes Waltz
7) Dreams Are                  7) Ally Ally Oxenfree

all songs copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes

Music, lyrics, voices and instruments - Happy Rhodes

Side A

1) The Perfect Irony
2) For We Believe
3) I Am A Legend
4) 'Til The Dawn Breaks
5) The Issue Is
6) Friend You'll Be
7) Dreams Are
-----------------------

1) THE PERFECT IRONY

   I thought I wanted to die
   But I barely had the time
   And isn't it funny
   How I didn't even
   Have the money
   To say goodbye?

        What the perfect irony

   And with this man
   I want to see the land
   But is my mind even?
   Oh I must choose to believe him
   Or say goodbye

         What the perfect irony

   And I want to love
   It's all I'm thinking of
   But isn't it sordid
   How my dreams can become distorted?
   Just tell me why

         My life's the perfect irony

   I can't decide
   If I should laugh or cry
   I think it's kind of funny
   How they say all I need
   Is the money
   To get by

   Goodbye

   Get by

          Oh what the perfect irony

2) FOR WE BELIEVE

   (Why are we worlds away?)

   What is this thing?
    What is this love?

     Where is this hope coming from?
      Where is this hope coming from?

     Why do we see future before our eyes?
      Why do we see future before our eyes?

   (Why are we worlds away?)

   Clouded with what's to be
    Make our own destiny

     We know that that's the key
      We know that that's the key

     For we believe
      In what we do
     For we believe
      In what we do

   (Why are we worlds away?)

   Safety scares us away
    On the edge is where we play

     When we run others delay
      Oh when we run, others delay

     For we believe
      In what we do
     For we believe
      In what we do
     For we believe
      In what we do
     For we believe

3) I AM A LEGEND

         Yes they can say "She's not so great"
       That they could do the very same
     I am a legend in my
   A legend in my own mind

   Ooh I can feel all that I sing
     I can do almost anything
       I am a legend in my
         A legend in my own mind

     I have a brain that's taken me to the core of the world
     I've been to Anglo-land and lived beyond the castle wall

                  So pooh on you

         Ooh it's inside my active mind
       That I am one of a kind
     I am a legend in my
   A legend in my own mind

   I wish that you would all agree
     That I'm impeccably me
       Make me a legend in your
         A legend in all your minds

       I am a witch who lived before your time
         I am a prince and this forest is mine

                  So pooh on you

         Yes they can say "She's not so great"
       That they could do the very same
     I am a legend in my
   A legend in my own mind

   'Cause I can feel all that I sing
     I can do almost anything
       I am a legend in my
         A legend in my own mind

     I have a brain that's taken me to the core of the world
     I've been to Anglo-land and lived beyond the castle wall

                  So pooh on you

         Ooh it's inside my active mind
       That I am one of a kind
     I am a legend in my
   A legend in my own mind

   I am a legend in my
     A legend in my own mind

       I am a legend in my
         A legend in my own mind

         Make me a legend in your
           A legend in all your minds

4) 'TIL THE DAWN BREAKS

   I'll speak to you
   But don't you look into my eyes
   All my flesh will burn
   I'm here to warn you

     Children it's your turn

        Feel the night, live the night
        'Til the dawn breaks
        Feel the light, live the night
        'Til the dawn breaks

   I can't protect you
   Oh be wary of the lights
   For they mean you harm
   Stay with thy night loves
   Wallow in its charm
   Be you ready for the storm
   Gather your fern
   I'm here to warn you

     Children it's your turn

        Feel the light, live the night
        'Til the dawn breaks
        Feel the light, live the night
        'Til the dawn breaks

        Oh I feel the night, I feel the night
        'Til the dawn breaks
        Oooh feel the light, Ohh live the night
        'Til the dawn breaks

   Well I can't protect you
   So be ready for the storm
   Gather your fern
   I'm here to warn you

     Children it's your turn

   I'll speak to you
   But my flesh will burn

   Ooh, I'm here to warn you

     Children it's your turn
     Children it's your turn
     Children it's your turn

   I'm here to warn you

     Children it's your turn

5) THE ISSUE IS

   He lies with steel pieces in his arm
   He lives by steel, by steel

        He's gonna die
        And he's scared

   She lies with steel pieces in her arm
   She lives by steel, by steel

        She's gonna die
        And she's scared
        Oh where is she going to?
        And will she see mummy..mummy..mummy?

   They lie with steel pieces in their hearts
   They breathe by steel, by steel

        We're gonna die
        And we're scared

   The issue is:
   Does conscience survive?

        We're gonna die
        And we're scared

   The issue is:
   Does conscience survive?

        We're gonna die
        And we're scared

   The issue is:
   Does conscience survive?

6) FRIEND YOU'LL BE

   I'm influenced by my friend
   If there's a reason to cry
   Oh friend you'll be (friend you'll be)
   Forever close to me

   I've confided in you my friend
   Now we have something to do
   Oh friend you'll be (friend you'll be)
   Forever close to me
   Oh and when the time comes
   For them to see
   We'll still be...

        Oh living on faith of heart
          Keeping love and fear far apart
        We'll be running our own lives
          Making someone out there realize
        That we have a place
          We've escaped the human race

   There's a man at my side, a friend
   We have passion for pride
   Oh friend you'll be (friend you'll be)
   Forever close to me
   And when the time comes
   For them to see
   We'll still be...

        Oh living on faith of heart
          Keeping love and fear far apart
        We'll be running our own lives
          Making someone out there realize
        That we have a place
          We've escaped the human race
        We've escaped the human race

7) DREAMS ARE

   What are your dreams?
   .......................(My dreams are my reality)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   Dreams are
   .......................(Fine but)
   Fine but
   .......................(I don't know)
   .......................(Sooner)
   Sooner
   .......................(Or later)
   Or later
   .......................(They've got to go)
   .......................(Oh my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)
   .......................(Oh my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my dreams)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   Dreams are
   .......................(Fine but)
   Fine but
   .......................(Oh I don't know)
   .......................(Sooner)
   Sooner
   .......................(Or later)
   Or later
   .......................(They always go)
   .......................(Ooh but my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)
   .......................(My dreams)
   What are you dreams?
   .......................(Are my dreams)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   Dreams are
   .......................(Fine but)
   But what?
   .......................(I don't know)
   .......................(Sooner)
   Sooner
   .......................(Or later)
   Or later
   .......................(They always go)
   Dreams are
   .......................(Dreams are fine but)
   .......................(Oh I don't know)
   .......................(Sooner)
   .......................(Or later)
   .......................(They always go)
   .......................(Oh but my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)
   .......................(Ooh my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   .......................(Fine but)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   .......................(Fine but)
   .......................(Dreams are)
   .......................(Fine but)
   .......................(I don't know)
   .......................(Oh but my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)
   I don't believe you
   .......................(Ooh my dreams)
   What are your dreams?
   .......................(Are my reality)

   It can't be so

         Rearmament   all songs copyright 1986-Happy Rhodes
         ----------

Side B

1)  Box H.A.P.
2)  I Have a Heart
3)  Crystal Orbs
4)  Because I Learn
5)  Baby Don't Go
6)  Rhodes Waltz
7)  Ally Ally Oxenfree

----------------------

1) BOX H.A.P.

   You can't know them like you know yourself

       I know   I know

   Therefore find your peace

       I can't   I can't

   Demand only from yourself

       I try   I try

   Don't rely on your logic

       I don't   I don't

     You made your choice
     Now go to the end
     You will find your peace
     When it comes, greet it
     Welcome it
     Make it stay

   You can't know them like you know yourself

       I know    I know

   Therefore find your peace

       I can't   I can't

   Demand only from yourself

       I try     I try

   The instincts you feel are truth

       Are they?  Are they now?

     You made your choice
     Now go to the end
     You will find your peace
     And when it comes, greet it
     Welcome it
     Make it stay

   Can't know them like you know yourself

       I know   I know

   Therefore find your peace

       I can't   I can't

   Demand only from yourself

2) I HAVE A HEART

   I have a heart inside
    She's begging me for suicide
     She doesn't want anymore
      She's lived too many lives before

       So what do I say to put her at ease?
       I know she'd leave with the breeze
       All I can do is beg her to stay

   Oh she is deceived every day
    Cheated and lied to in every way
     Why do you love weak little thing?
      You never could handle the hurting

       So what do I say to put her at ease?
       I know she'd leave with the breeze
       All I can do is beg her to stay

   I have a heart inside
    She's begging me for suicide
     She doesn't want anymore
      She's lived too many lives before

       So what do I say to put her at ease?
       I know she'd leave with a breeze
       All I can do is beg her to stay

   She is deceived every day
    Cheated and lied to in every way
     Why do you love weak little thing?
      It never could handle the hurting

       So what do I say to put her at ease?
       I know she'd leave with a breeze
       All I can do is beg her
       All I can do is beg her
       All I can do is beg her to stay

3) CRYSTAL ORBS

   Crystal orbs, golden light
   Come back to me and to that night
   I stared at these for many hours
   Until the waves came in showers
      I'm here and will be
      Addressing you only
      Now answer me
   Go way away if you must
   Life and I will adjust
   Let it be that I know
   The fiery warmth and the glow

      I'm here and will be
      Addressing you only
      Now answer me
   This warm and glorious night explains
   The soft peace of my remains
   Oh crystal orbs shining light                O
   Come back to me and to that night

      I'm here and will be
      Addressing you only
      Now answer me                                    O

4) BECAUSE I LEARN

   I learn                    I learn
    I learn                    I learn
     Many things                Many things
      The hard way               The easy way

            I know many things about you
               You never knew I knew

   I want to be                I want to be
    Wise enough                 Closer to
     To see ahead                Lying dead

            I don't need to live the same pain
                   Over and over again