[rec.music.gaffa] Misc.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/29/90)

Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

Argh!  So Dead Can Dance are playing Boston on Nov. 17, huh.  Well, I
guess I'm missing that one...  If anyone gets Cocteau Twins or Gaskin/
Stewart dates, post 'em - well - post haste:  I'd love to see/hear both
groups live (do Barbara and Dave tour with a band, a sequencer, or what?
And heaven knows what C. Twins does in concert...)

Japanese version???  I'm not sure that this makes sense, international-
copyright-wise:  if KaTe has really been instrumental in putting the set
together, why would she/EMI/et al.  authorize an alternate version?  Hmm,
has anyone heard/compared a Japanese KT CD to the UK and US releases?  I've
already reconciled myself to two copies of the albums on CD (I mostly have
the UK pressings already, more's the pity);  I'd begin to feel a little
silly buying three! 8-}

Oh, boy, stickers!

Re: smoking -- I seem to remember our sort-of-ex-psuedo-moderator |> oug
being more than a bit embarrased about interviewing Ms. Bush while wearing
a "Thank You For Not Smoking" t-shirt (and KaTe puffing away throughout...).
I'm happy enough to admit that I simply don't understand why people smoke,
but I know to many otherwise wonderful people who smoke to think that it's
a simple matter, or one I can do much about.  Anyway, no one ever said that
divinity = perfection;  I prefer my gods human, thank you...

"Who is the funky sex machine?" (!?!?! I gotta get these lyrics!!) So, does
someone have a NTSC copy of the Komic sTrip stuff?

sincerely-having-just-implied-that-she-is-only-two-paragraphs-ago-and-also-
footah!

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Here, put this fish in your ear."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/24/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

>From: kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman)
>Subject: Convention video question
>Somebody said that the video that they showed will never be sold.  Is that
>something they said at the convention or a guess or what?  I (and I am sure
>all the people who wern't at the con) would love to see it.

The video was put together by the Homeground team from Kate
video performances on various TV stations around the World. They said it
would be impossible to get permission to release all the bits on a
commercial video. They would have to go and ask TV stations around the
World to releae the copyright. Even if they had the resources to
do this, it would take years.

>From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>Subject: The Kate photographer's jinx
>I've heard that Kate does not like being photographed.  Perhaps her
>emotions in this regard are strong enough to affect cameras at a
>distance! :-)  Here's what I've heard, so far:

<List of disasters omitted>

Well I got to the Convention sure I had at least two spare films packed
in my camera bag but found I had none! I just managed a few long shots of
Kate. Also, someone came up to me and asked if I had any spare batteries
for the camera as hers had run out.

>From: The Cloudbuster <sre017%cck.cov.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu>
>Subject:    Katemas 1991
>
>I know its abit early,but I think the uk/european lovehounds should organise
>themselves for a get together on Katemas(or near as poss!!) next year.The US
>lovehounds will be having their party probably,so we could telephone one (or
>more) of the parties whilst we have one.This will make sure us non-US
>lovehounds don't feel left out!!!
>Have any uk lovehounds got any ideas about: venue,precise date,what to do???
>If we can get every uk/european or even rich US lovehounds to respond,it
>would be great,and it would be a chance to meet up before the TOUR!!!After
>Saturday I've acquired a liking for Kate get-togethers.Hope to hear from you
>all soon.

Yea, it would be good not to have to wait several years to meet people
again. The US parties occur at people's homes. I am not sure how many
UK/European people are likely to want to join in - we might need someone
with a preety large house! If we want to hire a hall somewhere then it
means people will need to pay something. Perhaps we can have a number of
gatherings around the UK - e.g. Jem, yourself and I are all located in
the Midlands. Perhaps there could be a Southern and Northern party as well?
Of course, in July there would be a reasonable chance of good weathe and
we could all arrange to have an outdoor gathering - on the Moors for instance.

Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/28/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

>From: **Love-Hound** <sre017%cck.cov.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu>
>Hello again,this is another mini-update on UK/EUROPE katemas '91.So far
>the list of interested people is very small!!Come on you bunch get into
>gear,this has the potential of being very good.The list includes so far:
>Steve Fagg,Neil Calton and myself.I hope the following will be interested:
>Evan Welsh,Colin Davidson,Jem,Chris Ridd,Stephen Thomas and of course
>several others.
>            Andy Semple      sre017@uk.ac.cov.cck

While we are at it - aren't there any female UK Lovehounds out there?
There were lots of female fans at the Convention. The lack of female
UK Lovehounds probably says a lot about the deficiencies of the UK
education system and employment opportunities for women.

>From: roberson@gn.UUCP
>Can we arrange for reserved tickets for the forthcoming concerts/ tour ???

Reading some of the old KBC magazines it seems that for the previous
tour the club asked each venue to keep a block of seats (200 I think)
back to be sold to members of the KBC. However, it seems that not all
the venues complied with these instructions. Whether they would try a
similar thing again may well depend on the size and number of venues
Kate decides to play.

>From: derek%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
>> Watching TP in England was definitely one of the major highlights of the
>>trip! I'm certain that Kate watches it. It's exactly the kind of thing she
>>would LOVE!!!!
>
>Was it on the BBC or ITV?  If it was the BBC there would have been no
>commercial breaks - like watching it on PBS - wonderful!

Twin Peaks is being shown on BBC 2 on Tuesday nights with a repeat on
Saturday night. This means there are no adverts. Being on BBC 2 the
show will generate smaller audiences than if it were on BBC 1. However,
there is already a strong cult following (including a UK mailing list so
we don't have the plot spoiled by reading the US list).

Neil
--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/30/90)

Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu

>From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>Subject: Whatever happened to. . .?
>Does anybody know what happened to the following love-hounds?
>Several of them used to be quite prolific.
(List of 4 omitted)

How about adding |>oug to that list! What has happened to our humble pseudo
moderator?

>From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>Subject: BucKeT o' Stuff
>I hope that a great deal of consideration goes into choosing the
>venues and means of ticket sales for any tour that might come to pass.
>If some means of allowing the hard core fans to pre-purchase their
>tickets isn't found  scalpers will make a fortune and there are bound
>to be some very distraught Kate fans left outside.  It's too
>frightening to even consider.

Let's hope that at the very least the KBC or Homeground send out
details of the tour dates before they get in the general press and
before tickets go on sale, so that the fans can get to the front of
the line.

>> There were lots of female fans at the Convention. The lack of female
>> UK Lovehounds probably says a lot about the deficiencies of the UK
>> education system and employment opportunities for women.
>
>I had never considered this until you mentioned it.  How odd.  What is
>it about the UK educational system that so discourages women to
>pursue the sort of careers that tend to provide net access.

That is not an easy question to answer. It is something that is often
discussed by those involved in all areas of education. I am no expert
but I expect it has much to do with outdated attitudes that are only slowly
being replaced. Even today you will find a lot of older men (and some women)
who think that a woman's place is in the home and that the man goes out to
work. The late unlamented Prime Minister said something very similar only
a few months ago. This was amazing that the leader of the country could
take this attitude (she was talking about women being with their children
rather than working).

Certainly in the past women have not been encouraged to enter the sciences.
Why this seems to have also been true of computing is even less hard to
understand. It may in part be the viscious circle of companies not
employing many women, so teachers advise their pupils to do other subjects,
so the number available for employment are small etc.

Just a small point about the box sets. Nobody has mentioned the fact that
as the LPs are on 3 discs and the CDs on two, you get an extra photo of
Kate on the sleeve of the third TWW LP.

Neil
--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/01/90)

Really-From: dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank)

> How about adding |>oug to that list! What has happened to our humble pseudo
> moderator?

I have the distinct pleasure of working along side |>oug.  He is so
busy lately that he's practically a blur (ever read the comic book The
Flash?)  Alive and well, though (even if he borders on the
supersonic).
          Peace,
            dNb

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/01/90)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@mitvma.mit.edu
>
>>From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>>Subject: Whatever happened to. . .?
>>Does anybody know what happened to the following love-hounds?
>
>How about adding |>oug to that list! What has happened to our humble pseudo
>moderator?

He's alive and well, although feeling somewhat less rich now that he
spent $200 on a Box Set.  We just went to see Hawkwind two nights ago.
As usual, his busy work schedule prohibits him from taking a more
active role in Love-Hounds.  I'll send him regrets from the entire
group.

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK (03/08/91)

>From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
>Subject: sTuff
>neil calton sez:
>> [hmv] had several copies of Vol. II of the rarities on sale separately
>> for #24-99. At this outrageous price I assume they are imports.
>imports from where? japan? was it in a longbox? or just the jewel box?
>hmmm...perhaps this price reflects the high price of the boxed set?

It was just the normal jewel box. Nothing except the price to suggest
it really was an import. It is possible they had some box sets which
they split up because of damage, or maybe some came with two Vol. II
discs and no Vol. I. The latter might explain why there were no separate
Vol. I discs on sale. I have not seen the discs anywhere else.

>From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
>Subject: Cathy by JCB
>Michael Graham asks:
>>Does anyone have a copy of J.C. Bush's _Cathy_? It is mentioned in The Vis.
>>Doc. and sounds interesting.
>
>Cathy is it.  If you can still get it from Kindlight it will cost you about
>$75, for maybe thirty b&w pix and scant text.  Very beautiful production
>though.  Last spring they were said to be almost gone, no reprint planned.

I remember reading in the KBC newsletter or somewhere that Kindlight
had now sold out completely.
Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
England                              Tel: (0235) 821900   ext 5740

gb10@gte.COM (Gregory Bossert) (04/06/91)

Jeff and Ed were:
> [Talking about WHFS.] and so on...

WFNX (boston) has a station-identifiKaTion of the standard "Hello, this
is Kate Bush and you're listening to...".  i'm afraid i haven't been
able to tape it.  i wonder if i could call and request it??!

Ed clarifies:
> We read the USENET news.  The newsgroup rec.music.gaffa contains
> the same thing as the Love-Hounds digest, but postings make it
> to the newsgroup within a few minutes of their being posted,
> usually.  People can respond right away.

recently, "a few minutes" has been several days...  i don't know if
the delay occurs between here and l-hounds central, or on the return
trip;  however, even us .gaffa readers see posts in strange orders.

Jorn quizifies:
> in black boys on mopeds so'c says:
> england's not the mythical land of madme george and roses
> who's madame george?

this was a raging topic on JITR (the Sinead O'Newsgroup) -- there was
no final conclusion. apparently, there is a madame george in a Van
Morrison song -- someone else cited a literary source.  any other
JITRbugs remember more?  the JITR archives are at presto.ig.com, if
you are so inclined...

re the Q magazine "sleevenotes" -- Q arrives irregularly to my newstand --
i never did find the picture of the KTBush Band, and they finally asked
me to stop scanning the issues cover to cover in the store... SO, if you
all across the atlantic would kindly include cover dates when referring
to issues... thanks!

re the _GOoMH_ debate:  (i like that:  goomh!)  maybe i'll have to
finally read a Stephen King book.  i hasten to point out that, regardless
what Ms. Bush syas the inspiration for the song was, it is still an
enlightening and rewarding task to figure out what it means.  it's not
whether you're right or wrong, it's how many interesting KonversaTions
you can have...

hi to Vickie'n'Chris, by whatever route!

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "I love my boy, and that's why I'm leaving
					  I don't want him to know, that there's
					  any such thing as grieving..." S. O'Connor

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK (04/16/91)

>From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
>Subject: Re: "This Woman's Work" video
>I forgot to explain WHY this song is was easier to understand
>for American fans than British fans.  The movie She's Having
>A Baby wasn't released in Britain for a long time.  In fact,
>I'm not sure that it was EVER released there, except possibly
>straight onto video.  At least, the Homeground people kept
>telling me that that the release date for that movie was being
>put off for one reason or another.  This must have been HELL
>to British Kate fans, since I doubt the soundtrack album would
>be released for an unreleased movie.

You are right Ed. it was hell. It was even worse when I finally heard
the song many months after the US hounds and realised just how good it
was. As far as I know the film has never been publically released in GB.
I am not certain about a video version as I never rent videos.

>From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>>>   Hi! I found a dealer in Tucson who has new CD copies of "Passing
>Through>>Air" and "If You Could See Me Now" for $35 each. My questions are:
>>>  (1) Are these "must-haves" for KaTe collectors?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>But on the other hand, no, not really.  Just wanted to raise my hand
>here and point out that there are still a few of us who are
>uncomfortable with violating Kate's right to control her art and with
>paying someone for something that they have no right to sell.  We have
>managed to get by without these sort of "must-haves" for some time now
>and I imagine that we will continue to do so for some time to come.

While I used to have doubts about buying bootlegs, I fear all my scruples
disappeared after the release of the This Woman's Work box set. As I
paid almost 100 pounds to buy the set which included 6 CDs I had already
bought just to be able to get the rarities, I feel EMI/Kate have not done
too badly. Particularly, as EMI felt like charging full price for
the CDs, some of which were on sale at budget prices in the same racks.
Add to this the fact that the set was very poorly put together e.g. small
CD booklet, no lyrics, no info. etc (c.f. Larry's description of the Japanese
set) then I feel that if a fan is expected to pay this kind of money for
something that has literally been thrown together (and if that is what
Kate *really* wanted then I find it very sad) then he/she cannot be criticised
for wanting to obtain even rarer material by whatever means possible.

Be seeing you,
	Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
England                              Tel: (0235) 821900   ext 5740

rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill) (04/17/91)

Well I just got my tax refund on the same day as I heard about this Japanese
Box set.  The fact the sound quality is better is almost enough to make me
jump at it.  I wonder if I can finagle him down on the price by telling him
about my "Cloudbusting" project.  One question, but is most of the lryrics and
stuff that comes with the things normaly in ENGLISH also.  And is there
something missing aside from the stickers and exclamation point.  Thanks for
any info, this is a BIG purchase and should help push my Mastercard ?qnEb

arGH@!!!

should help push my mastercard bill back up twhere it was before I started
weeding it down after the con.  : -)

pD7,$:Gxr?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?lv3o~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~6;f

ARGH!

here are some more raw quotes about current subjects!

COFFEE HOMEGROUND
-----------------

     In Coffee Homeground, you mention Crippen. Who is he?
     "He was a murderer who was arrested after he had escaped from Britain by
ship, thanks to the use of ship-to-shore radio. It was the first time that
radio was used in this way, so he has a small place in history for that
reason."  (1979, KBC 3)

     Someone once said that Coffee Homeground was about a crazy
taxi driver. Is this true?
     "Coffee Homeground was sort of based on a taxi driver that I met once,
yes, but I wouldn't like to say that he was crazy because a lot of people say
that I am!"  (1980, KBC 5)

     The sort of vignette-songs like Coffee Homeground or Houdini, are those
conceived in the first place as ideas, intellectually so to say, while there
are others which take shape while you're actually playing the piano, whereupon
you look for suitable words?
     "Well, Coffee Homeground would have been a song where the words and the
music were coming together probably at exactly the same time. Actually, that's
the only song which I wrote when I visited America about seven years ago [to
appear on Saturday Night Live]. Which is quite interesting, as it's not at all
American...
    A little bit German, maybe? Who did the arrangement?
     "Well, actually, Andrew Powell arranged the orchestra. But the
riff (Kate sings it)--that was written on the piano and--"
     Paddy: "Then translated into different instruments. As a matter of fact,
Coffee Homeground vibrantly ["violently"? The word is not clearly audible.]
mutated. When the very first demos of it were done, it had a decidedly
different flavour. The Brechtian treatment didn't appear until much later on,
that only took shape when Kate got the idea of treating the song with a
slightly German sort of flavour."
     So, with a song like that, it's Kate who actually conceives what is
possible, and then looks to the musicians or to an arranger to actualize it?
     Paddy: "Oh, yes, yes. But in the case of Coffee Homeground it did
mutate. The Brechtian feel is something that appeared only gradually,
during the actual recording, and became more definite as time went on."
(1985, Musician)

VEGETARIANISM
-------------

     If vegetarians are against the killing of animals for food, why don't
they object to them being killed for leather?
      "I think there are a lot of vegetarians who are against animals being
killed to make leather, and they do go out of their way to wear rubber and
plastic shoes and belts, but I think that there is a practical side to it, as
well. Leather is very warm, and it's nice to look at, but it does require a
lot of effort for most of us to make a different choice from the normal, and I
find myself that I do wear quite a few leather shoes. Not that I consciously
buy them because they're made of leather, but I do have a few, and I think
it's something to do with the tradition of leather being used in clothing. But
there's no excuse for the mass production of leather, and I think it comes
down to effort and how far you really want to go. It's up to you in the long
run."
     You are a vegetarian and yet you wear fur coats. Why?
     "I don't wear fur coats. I haven't got one. I don't own one and I don't
believe in wearing them--I may have occasionally been in photos with one, but
it wouldn't have been mine. It would have been one that I'd borrowed because
it was very cold; for instance in Switzerland, when I did the Abba special.
[In fact, as far as I know, that was the only time Kate has ever been seen in
a fur.] But I don't believe in people wearing fur coats, I think it's very
extravagant and again, I think people don't tend to associate the clothes with
the animals they come from, especially the rare animals that some of the coats
are made of. You can get incredibly good imitation ones now--I've seen ones
that I thought were real fur and they weren't. they're really fantastic, and
they cost less, too."
     Do you follow vegetarian recipes from books, or do you make up your own?
     "I do follow recipes from books, but I find that normally I don't stick
to them, especially if I haven't got all the ingredients, and I tend to
substitute different vegetables. If I'm feeling really brave, occasionally I
base a meal on a recipe and make the rest up. Cooking is quite a logical
thing, really, and you soon learn the things that go together--what works and
what doesn't."
     You say in interviews that you don't eat meat because you don't believe
in eating life. But you eat plants, and they are living things. Why?
     "I do eat plants, and I know they're living, and I'm fond of them, but I
think you have to find your own level. I could live on pills, but I don't
think it's very human to do that--that is something we dream of in the space
age: food without texture or mass. I don't think plants mind being eaten,
actually. I think they'd be really sad if no-one paid that much attention to
them. I appreciate them very much for the things they give me. I'd be very sad
if there weren't any vegetables, and normally it isn't the actual plant that's
killed--it's the fruit or vegetable that's taken off. I think this is the
purpose of plants, that they grow to be eaten. The only problem is that it has
become a very mass-produced market, again, and that the really natural,
unchemicalised environment doesn't really exist. Too many chemicals are used
on plants, but while there is a demand for brightly coloured food in pretty
packets, that's how it will carry on. But you can get fresh, organically grown
vegetables. You can grow them yourselves, and if you look around and ask,
you'll find that there are a few shops and some local farms that sell
vegetables that have not been grown in chemically
fertilised ground."  (1980, KBC 5)

"I just couldn't stand the idea of eating meat--and I really do think that it
has made me calmer."  (1982, Company)

     People probably eat so much pre-packaged food because it's always so easy
to get in shops, and they don't connect it with live animals. If they actually
had to kill the animal themselves, they would probably have great difficulty
in doing it. People who live and work with animals can be aware of what they
are doing when they kill an animal. They realise that they're going to be
eating it, rather than it being sent off to be sold in supermarkets. On some
levels this seems to be all right, because it's on a one-to-one basis: you
feed and look after the animal for a certain length of time and then it repays
you by becoming your food. But it's the mass-production of living creatures
just to be eaten, and the fact that people aren't really aware of what they're
eating, that I don't like.
      These days it seems more and more probable that fish are likely to
contain pollution--which can't do you any good--as they have no choice but to
eat all the muck that's in the water. But hopefully people's general awareness
is getting much better, even down to buying a pint of milk: the fact that the
calves are actually killed so that the milk doesn't go to them but to us can't
really be right, and if you've seen a cow in a state of extreme distress
because it can't understand why its calf isn't by it, it can make you think a
lot.
     Working in London, I often have to go past meat markets, and when I see
all those people working in there with blood all over them, and dead animals
strung up from meat-hooks, just waiting to be devoured, it's like something
out of a horror film. When I realised that, I didn't want to eat meat any
more. I became more conscious about the things that I did eat. I think this
helped me to learn more about food, because I had to start thinking what the
nutritional value of something was, and I'm still learning about things I
didn't think I could eat, which is really good. Just the discipline of not
eating meat is a very good thing. It's like giving up anything you like--it
hurts at first, but then you feel much better for it. I don't know whether it
was just me, but when I first became a vegetarian I was really hungry a lot of
the time, but I'm not now, and I wonder if that's because my stomach has
adjusted. When you eat meat, you do ten to eat more than you need, and the
body has to work a lot to break it all down.
     It's interesting how the traveling that I've done reveals things about
people's diets. In many European countries it's very hard to get something
that hasn't got meat in it. There was one instance in Germany where I asked
for a bowl of tomato soup and, having been assured that it contained just
tomatoes, I tucked into it. But about halfway through the soup I could see all
these lumps floating around at the bottom, and of course they were all
meatballs. They just naturally do things like putting bacon and meatballs into
vegetable soup, without even thinking about it. So many shops are
meat-oriented: it's all sausages and pies, and the only other things you can
really get are just potatoes and salads, when there is such an enormous
variety of non-animal foods that can be eaten. Looking forward to a breakfast
of toast and marmalade, and then getting a couple of slabs of cold meat and
white bread pushed
under your nose, isn't the way I like to start my day.
     Japan seemed to be more vegetable-oriented. They take great pride in
their vegetables, although they're greatly into fish, and this is causing them
and the dolphins a lot of problems. I found Australia very meat-oriented, too,
and this might have something to do with it being such a young country, and
it's true that meat does give you a lot of energy. I suppose there was a time
when a slab of bacon fat for breakfast might have been necessary for somebody
working in a heavy manual job. But I've found that if I keep an eye on the
sort of vegetarian food that I eat, I don't have any problems about dancing
and singing on it.
      It all comes down to looking more closely at the sort of food you are
just used to having and saying to yourself, Do I really need to eat this, or
is there something that will be better for me? The more people who get into
good vegetarian food, the easier it will be for us. If I go into a restaurant
with friends, and they settle down to a feast of meat and sauces and so on, I
usually end up with salad and chips--which is OK, but that's about as far as
most restaurants can go in the direction of vegetarian food.  (1980, KBC 5)

SMOKING
-------
     You obviously believe in keeping yourself as healthy as you can
through exercise and eating the correct foods, etc. But it puzzles
me and others as to why you continue to smoke.
     "I can understand why it should surprise you, but unfortunately
I am only human."   (1984, KBC 16)

I think that people smoking is one of those tiny things that says a lot about
human beings. I mean, I smoke and I enjoy it, but we smoke and we know it's
dangerous. Maybe there's some kind of strange subconscious desire to damage
ourselves. It would seem so if you looked back through history, wouldn't it?"
 (1985, Keyboard)

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK (05/21/91)

>From: fnord@spdcc.com (Dan Schaeffer)
>(1) Is there any news about any forthcoming tour, and if so, are there any
>    details?
>
>(2) What's the word on a new album?  I just got back from Alaska, and I have
>    yet to get into a record store....

There is no more news about a tour. As far as anyone knows it is still
planned but no dates have been announced. Work on the new album is also
going ahead and Kate has been in the studio but again no release date
has been confimred.

>From: Patrick Ryan <sauron@garfield.cs.mun.ca>

 *** Winner of this week's "how to make a good impression" award! ***

>>Actually, I lied.  It's a kind of gaffer's tape which is like duct tape
>>only she couldn't just come out and say "duct tape" because then we
>>wouldn't have endless arguments on L-H that run like this:
>
>I already know that.  Somebody less uptight answered.
>
>>OK.  Who put the phenobarbitol in my herbal tea?
>
>>I dunno... same person who pissed in your cornflakes?

Patrick - people have been know to insert some humorous content into
their postings. This often helps to make reading the answer to a
perennial question somewhat less mind-numbing than usual.
There was no personal antagonism in Jon's posting.

>From: Richard Frost <rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au>
>Subject: Has KaTe read News & Oz KaTemas
>  Has KaTe ever heard of USENET and or this group? I know that the
> love-hounds presented a bunch of flowers to her at the last convention
> but has she ever read News?

It is a little known fact that Kate spends most of her time reading
News. In fact this is the real reason why it takes her so long to
produce each album. Hit the k key Kate!

>  SHALL we DONATE a COMPUTER to KaTe on behalf of the love-hounds,
> maybe we could get her an account on an English University's computer?

Kate is always welcome to drop by and use my account. Never seems to
bother though :-)

Neil

  "Come on you lily whites!"
--

cboyer@chatham.UUCP (Charles Boyer) (05/23/91)

> >  Has KaTe ever heard of USENET and or this group? I know that the
> > love-hounds presented a bunch of flowers to her at the last convention
> > but has she ever read News?
>
> It is a little known fact that Kate spends most of her time reading
> News. In fact this is the real reason why it takes her so long to
> produce each album. Hit the k key Kate!
>
> >  SHALL we DONATE a COMPUTER to KaTe on behalf of the love-hounds,
> > maybe we could get her an account on an English University's computer?
>
> Kate is always welcome to drop by and use my account. Never seems to
> bother though :-)

Seriously, though, it makes one wonder.  She apparently likes computers,
from all that I've read, and besides, anyone who has used a Fairlight
syntth as much as Kate has must love computers at least to a degree!

I'd be willing to bet, though, that Kate could have any computer her
heart desired...and that she already has several.

                                        Charles

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (06/06/91)

Chris here, bits and pieces....

Andrew B Marvick asked:

>    Btw, was Chris Williams ever able to figure out whether the
> message which was said to have come from Kate for the AATHP
> convention was indeed derived from the Winnipeg Con's taped
> message? Also, was the written message which the Ohioans read
> to attendees of the con there actually seen by fans? Was it
> in Kate's hand? Is a photocopy forthcoming in a future issue of
> _Little_Light_? IED is just curious.

    Well to perfectly frank, no one who attended this "con" and heard
or saw the message has replied to my posting of the Winnipeg message
by either post or e-mail. I fear, based on the silence, that my supposition
was correct, and that Kate never replied to these people. I will be very
happy if I am wrong, as we remember meeting Scott Shepard in Winnipeg and
purchasing many rare and wonderful things from him. It pains me to ascribe
ill motives to him and Cappy. I will gladly retract any of my statements as soon as I see a xerox of Kate's statement. I haven't seen anything that was
indisputably from Kate that wasn't on her "Kate Bush" stationary in her own
inimitable handwriting.

About all this Frippery:

Ray Peck posted:

> They didn't mention who else.  However, I've seen quotes from Fripp
> saying that at the end, the "Discipline" Crimson was quite painful
> for him.  Maybe it got too democratic?  Anyways, because of this, I
> don't expect Belew, though I am still hoping for Levin.  I would be
> very surprised if Bruford weren't in.

    I don't think the problem was democracy. In an interview in _Musician_
the general problem seemed to be that _no one_ wanted to play rhythm!
Bruford wanted to do poly-rhythmic explorations, Belew wanted to play Lead,
Levin also wanted to play Lead, leaving poor Fripp to provide the beat.
This was not a happy situation.

Larry Spence posted:

>>>[Fripp:] Now we come to the humanistic and philosophical reasons why I
>>>oppose the furtive taping of live music.

>Awww, fuck that!  Live tapes may not capture it all, but they're better than
>nothing. %)

   A hearty second!
I would like to see Fripp's over-intellectualized bullshit cross-posted to
the Grateful Dead newsgroups. I'd imagine that fans of the most recorded
group in existence would disagree with him.

Graham Roger Dombkins posted:

> Hey!! Don't forget the Wollongong, New South Wales, Katemas party!! Going
> into it's forth year and still going strong.
>
> - Graham
>
> graham@cs.uow.edu.au

    Hey Graham! Great to see you back on-line, Mate!

Charles Boyer wondered:

> Seriously, though, it makes one wonder.  She apparently likes computers,
> from all that I've read, and besides, anyone who has used a Fairlight
> synth as much as Kate has must love computers at least to a degree!

    Well...in an interview Kate confessed that she had fallen behind the
software revisions of the Fairlight, and that she wasn't computer-oriented
enough to dive in learn all the new features. In the same interview she
mentioned that the complexity of "Page R" (the Fairlight drum program)
was one of the principle reasons that Del did most of the rhythm programming
for the albums.

> I'd be willing to bet, though, that Kate could have any computer her
> heart desired...and that she already has several.

    Maybe. What I'd like to know is...has any U.K. Love-Hound figured out
what machine Kate had on her desk in the "Wogan" _Exp. IV_? The display
looked a bit odd; one column of text scrolling up the right-hand side.
It definitely wasn't a Fairlight display.

Re: Games without Frontiers
meep@WPI.WPI.EDU (The Cutter) wrote:

>> For what it's worth, my copy of "Security" mentions the "first disposable
>> album title" quote on the back, referring to that album.  I think the
>> comments about "So" are correct, however (chosen for shape, not meaning).

>>Anyone else?

Erik D. Olson replied:

>Isn't So the fifth note in the scale (ie: Do Re Mi Fa), corresponding
>to the fifth Gabriel album?  Maybe just a coincidence.

   Clever! Very, very, very, very clever!!

                                    Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                            katefans@chinet.chi.il

     %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
     % Kate: I don't really know why people think my songs are strange. %
     % Perhaps because I bath in goats milk!! It's not something you    %
     % should really ask me. My Mum could probably help you more. It's  %
     % probably something to do with my childhood.                      %
     %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (06/07/91)

From article <m0jl5Yb-0000aPC@chinet.chi.il.us>, by katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams):
> Andrew B Marvick asked:
>
>>    Btw, was Chris Williams ever able to figure out whether the
>> message which was said to have come from Kate for the AATHP
>> convention was indeed derived from the Winnipeg Con's taped
>> message? Also, was the written message which the Ohioans read
>> to attendees of the con there actually seen by fans? Was it
>> in Kate's hand? Is a photocopy forthcoming in a future issue of
>> _Little_Light_? IED is just curious.
>
>     Well to perfectly frank, no one who attended this "con" and heard
> or saw the message has replied to my posting of the Winnipeg message
> by either post or e-mail. I fear, based on the silence, that my supposition
> was correct, and that Kate never replied to these people. I will be very
> happy if I am wrong, as we remember meeting Scott Shepard in Winnipeg and
> purchasing many rare and wonderful things from him. It pains me to ascribe
> ill motives to him and Cappy. I will gladly retract any of my statements
> as soon as I see a xerox of Kate's statement. I haven't seen anything that
> was indisputably from Kate that wasn't on her "Kate Bush" stationary in
> her own inimitable handwriting.

Believe me, Chris,  I did reply to your posting.  I had it all ready
to go.  But when that final "do you still want to post this?" came up I
hit 'n'.

No, I didn't want to post it.  Sure, it was hot enough to set the
sprinklers off at sites all over the world but that's not why.  You
had that coming.

First of all I decided not to post because I'm not a spokesman for
Little Light or AATHP and if they have anything to say about the
matter they'll say it themselves.  Second, I felt that the issue
was closed and that dredging it up was pointless since in spite
of your pretenses you would clearly rather not believe the people
at Little Light and AATHP.  Finally, I recalled something that
someone told me not long after your initial accusation.

They don't need your stamp of approval.

Please spare us your laments about how it pains you to make your petty
and vindictive accusations.  Instead how about providing a few details
yourself?  You have yet to provide any real reason for harboring these
suspicions beyond your initial remarks that it sounded like the
Winnipeg message.  You've yet to show that this initial accusation
was based on anything more than my extremely brief description and two
word quote ("recorded properly").  When you're done perhaps you would like
to explain to us why you would expect two messages delivered under such
similar circumstances _not_ to be similar.  In the absence of any
clear justification for your accusations I can only conclude that they
are the product to pure spite.

I'm not sure if your problem with the folks from LL and AATHP is
based solely on fact that the people at Little Light had the nerve
to question Homeground on an issue (albiet with perhaps only a bit
more tact than you're showing now) or if there is some sort of bad
blood here that I'm not aware of.   Whatever it is sure has you
bugged.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com