[rec.music.gaffa] T'Pau

YOUNG_MI@CTSTATEU.BITNET (04/25/91)

Can anyone tell me if there are any other albums by T'Pau besides 'Bridge of
Spies' and 'Rage'?  (thanks Woj, for making me a copy!!!!!)  =)  I absolutely
love the lead vocalists' voice and when I was in Tower Records this past week-
end, all they had in stock was 'BOS'.

"We think you are incredible"

('you' being the Venerable KaTe, of course!!)

Michele

scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.UK (Scott Telford) (04/26/91)

In article <9104242323.AA11184@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> YOUNG_MI@CTSTATEU.BITNET writes:
>Can anyone tell me if there are any other albums by T'Pau besides 'Bridge of
>Spies' and 'Rage'?  (thanks Woj, for making me a copy!!!!!)  =)  I absolutely
>love the lead vocalists' voice and when I was in Tower Records this past week-
>end, all they had in stock was 'BOS'.

WOW! Another KaTefan who likes T'pau too! (does that make two of us?)

T'pau have released two albums (in the UK at least): "Bridge of Spies"
(which I heard was just called "T'pau" in the US coz somebody screwed up
the artwork between here and there) and "Rage". The good news is that
after more than two year's silence, a new T'pau album ("Promise") will
be released in the UK on June 3rd. Dunno if/when it will be released in
the US.

Despite the fact I've got five KaTe albums, on as purely subjective and
personal basis, my favorite album is still "Bridge of Spies". Carol
Decker (lead vocalist) isn't (of course) in the same league as KaTe,
but she makes up for it with her wonderful energy and power. And I
always thought T'pau's production was always great - nothing like as
imaginative as KaTe's (again, of course) but very competent indeed.

"Now, right or wrong they never walk alone,
 How lucky are the few who know where they belong"
 - T'pau, "Friends Like These".
| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

chryses@xurilka.UUCP (Phong Co) (06/08/91)

Hi folks,

As the subject line says, I'd like some opinions/comments on T'Pau
(the band, not Spock's mother!).  I know they have two albums out,
that the lead singer is supposed to have a great voice (she sure is
pretty...).  I heard a song off their first album, but that was a
long time ago, and I'd like to know how the rest of their stuff
stacks up.

Thanks!
Phong.

Phong T. Co		|
chryses@xurilka.UUCP	|	Nice girls don't explode.
dada Indugu Inc.	|			-- Dave Sim (Cerebus #110)
Montreal, CANADA	|

tcb@silver.mintaka.lcs.mit.edu (Ted Beatie) (06/09/91)

I remember T'Pau, I liked their song, what was it, heart and soul?
Haven't heard much of them since, though.  Yet another band, like
Innocence Mission, that comes, makes an album, and goes...

The Superstructure is crumbling!			EIT!
Hey Look!  There's Santa!
Ted Beatie
(617) 628-9619                      tcb@silver.lcs.mit.edu / tcb@gnu.ai.mit.edu

tcb@silver.mintaka.lcs.mit.edu (Ted Beatie) (06/09/91)

By the way, T'Pau is not Spock's mother (Amanda), she is the Vulcan
High Preistess :)
No..., naw, I'm not a Trekkie...

scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.UK (Scott Telford) (06/10/91)

In article <28508339@xurilka.UUCP> chryses@xurilka.UUCP (Phong Co) writes:
>As the subject line says, I'd like some opinions/comments on T'Pau
>(the band, not Spock's mother!).  I know they have two albums out,
>that the lead singer is supposed to have a great voice (she sure is
>pretty...).  I heard a song off their first album, but that was a
>long time ago, and I'd like to know how the rest of their stuff
>stacks up.

OK, here goes again....

Albums:
- "Bridge of Spies" or "T'pau" depending on what side of the puddle
you're on. (1987)

- 1988: "Rage" (1988)

- One more due out in the UK last week ("Promise") but I haven't seen it
yet. (first single from it ("Whenever you need me") released a few weeks
ago, got to #20 in UK chart).

Lead singer: Carol Decker, 'bout same age as KaTe, not quite as pretty
(IMHO 8^), nice powerful voice, but not too expressive.

IMHO, "BoS" is great, "Rage" slightly less so, there's a new producer on
the new album and I don't think he's quite got the same touch as the
last one (Roy Thomas Baker).

Dunno 'bout US release, wouldn't be too optimistic though...

In article <9106081244.aa02270@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> news@lcs.mit.EDU writes:
>I remember T'Pau, I liked their song, what was it, heart and soul?
>Haven't heard much of them since, though.  Yet another band, like
>Innocence Mission, that comes, makes an album, and goes...

Not quite. Maybe they came and went in America, but actually they came,
made an album, made another one the next year, went (for a couple of
years) came back and made another one...