[rec.music.gaffa] GIFs

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (the evil one) (04/08/90)

well, i was waiting for this to happen: the sysadm trashed the KaTeGIF
directory here, so i think i'm going to put them all up on gaffa for the
time being...i'll let you all know when that time is and what GIFs are
up there (i'll also include a README on gaffa once they're all there...).

umm, i lost a few, such as dream4.gif and the ones that eric france converted
for me, so it'll be a bit before it's completely reconstructed...but event-
ually, they'll all be there again...

(note: it's not gaffa that got trashed, but *clutx*, so don't go freaking
to doug or anything in a frenzy just yet! ;)

an annoyed woj

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU (01/27/91)

Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

i join jeff burka in commending mike for his work in expanding the
vital KTgif stores.  it is therefore with the utmost humility that
i suggest that the best way to distribute large files like gifs is to
archive them on "eddie.mit.edu" for anonymous ftp access.  admittedly,
some people don't have ftp capability, but then again many people
can't display gifs... and between the newsgroup and the mailing list
these files can eat up a lot of bandwidth...

i am hardly an expert on these matters -- please forgive if i am
incorrect in this assertion.

!hatoof
-greg -- gb10@gte.com

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU (01/27/91)

Really-From: graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham)

I'm glad you liked it! There may be more to come...I also scanned the cover
of TWS and TD...I don't have many photos of her. + the color album covers
don't turn as nice because I donn't have a color scanner.

Bye for now,

mike

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU (01/28/91)

Really-From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)

I connected to eddie.whatever last night and couldn't find anything.
where is all of the Kate stuff?

mike

Love-Hounds-request@gaffa.MIT.EDU (01/28/91)

This message is empty.

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (04/15/91)

I tried to get the gifs out of the .../gif directory but permission was
denied.??????

confused,
mike

Ken.Saintjohn@samba.acs.unc.EDU (05/21/91)

Ron Hill writes:
>there are already a set of Cathy Gifs, with several small pics on each
>GIF for a total of about 10, these were done by Ken SaintJohn whom
>everybody I know will welcome back!!!!

Thanks Ron it's good to be back. The above mentioned Gifs are available
Richard's  "The Big Sky" bbs 614-864-1194

Richard Caldwell writes:
>Now I'll let you answer questions about why your KaTe GIFs are in
>such a strange aspect ratio.

I don't know what to tell ya Richard, the aspect ratio is a simple 640x400.
As you know I'm doing them on an Amiga and converting them to the GIF format,
every PC I have seen them on handles them just fine, no distortion etc.
You have any software control over your display modes? I know that on
Steve's (KAOS) PC the hardware/software looks at a GIF and decides the
most suited display mode and defults to it.
 The whole point of my converting my KaTe scans from the IFF format to the
GIF format is so that all of you PC folks can enjoy them, if there is
any such thing as a _standard_ PC screen format that everyone would like to
see them in please let me know...

                                    Ken SaintJohn
                              Ken.Saintjohn@bbs.oit.unc.edu
                  "I think quotes are very dangerous things!" KaTe Bush...

gb10@gte.COM (Gregory Bossert) (06/08/91)

hi!  it's just GIF mania up there on hayes.ims.alaska.edu.  i've
taken the liberty of adding a few more pictures to the collection,
all scanned from the original tour program i picked up at the KonvenTion.

the files are greyscale GIF format, with no more than 128 colors.
i used Adobe Photoshop on the Mac to clean the scans up -- nonetheless
there are still a few artifacts due to the glossy/bumpy texture
ot the program.

i have scanned every page of the program booklet, plus the enclosing
folder and a page of the stationary.  sadly, my program is lacking the
poster included in the original package...

the pages marked * are photos of KaTe (and generally of high quality);
those not so marked are text, pictures of the band, etc, and are
of more scholarly interest...  i wish i could have gotten the pastel
artwork on the folder (folder.gif) in color -- it's really gorgeous.

these GIFs (and this message) are in the directory:

	pub/love-hounds/kb/pix/gif_tour_program

* folder.gif		-- pastel artwork of a faun-like KaTe face.  big.
  folder_inside_l.gif	-- list of concert dates
* folder_inside_r.gif	-- lionhearty portrait

  cover.gif		-- same as folder.gif plus handwritten message
* back_cover.gif	-- slightly odd portrait (a bit blurred)

  stationary.gif	-- was lilac!  similar to folder.gif + photo

* page_1.gif	-- black leotard photo
  page_2.gif	-- act one blurb
* page_3.gif	-- amazing portrait
  page_4.gif	-- act two blurb
* page_5.gif	-- wuthering heights/lace portrait (with some of the border)
  page_6.gif	-- act three blurb
  page_7.gif	-- band portraits (inc. Paddy and Del)
  page_8.gif	-- band portraits (inc. the dancers and Simon Drake)
  page_9.gif	-- credits
  page_10.gif	-- adverts and credits

* lionheart.gif	-- the logo from page_9

i hope to write up a detailed description of the program to go with
these pictures -- i'll place in the same directory when it's done.
any interesting facts or trivia about the program would be appreciated!

feel free to comment on the worth of these GIFs -- pages 9 and
10, for example, could be summarized in far less space than the
GIF files take...

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com --
        "a woman drew her long black hair out tight
         and fiddled whisper music on those strings
         and bats with baby faces in the violet light
         whistled, and beat their wings" -- T.S. Eliot

Ken.Saintjohn@samba.acs.unc.EDU (06/10/91)

Ron Hill writes:

>Wait until you see my cathy gifs.  They've been done for a long time,
>but I want to add the text from the book to the sides.

 Gee Ron I almost sense some kind of competitiveness in your message.
If thats the case I'm sorry but that was never my intent, I did after
all send you my scans in the mail ages ago.  I could have easily added
all of the text with these scans but even I need to draw the line at some
point, what I'm trying to say is I feel strange enough for copying all
the previously _virtually_ (some have been seen on tv thats why I went
ahead and made them available) unpublished photos and would not dare
reproduce the _entire_ book without permission.  That to me would seem
to constitute just out and out copyright infringement.  Good luck.

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (06/12/91)

In article <9106080041.AA13193@bunny.gte.com>, gb10@gte.COM (Gregory Bossert) writes:

> hi!  it's just GIF mania up there on hayes.ims.alaska.edu.  i've
> taken the liberty of adding a few more pictures to the collection,
> all scanned from the original tour program i picked up at the KonvenTion.

Many thanks, Greg.  This was very interesting.  I haven't seen the
whole thing yet but it looks like a great find.  How much did you
pay for it? (If you don't mind me asking).

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com