[rec.music.gaffa] Love and Anger

chris@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) (12/27/89)

This should stir'em up some. Here is our interpretation of the Video for
"Love And Anger". Just the video.

The parts in {}'s are from Chris. The Parts in []'s are from Vickie.

Video starts with a:
BLURRY SHOT
    {Not much meaning here. Just a blurry shot of the skirts of the Sufis.}

Next Kate is:
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
     {This is it. The record that's going to "break her" in America. All eyes
are upon her.}

In her hands are:
JEWELRY
     {Could it be a rosary? She is on her knees, is she praying? For what?}

She is:
SHOWERED WITH GOLD
    {As she will be, metaphoricaly, if she succeeds in America, the last
holdout in the "civilized" world. We feel this video is the direct result of
a conversation with CBS record executives.}

She drops her:
JEWELERY
    [Possibly "pearls before swine"?]

She spins with her:
HEAD DOWN, ARMS OUTSTRETCHED
   ["Here I am, do what you will"]

She is handed the:
CROWN JEWELS
    {Not all the crown jewels, just the Orb and Septre, but definitely the
British Crown Jewels, symbolic of her Britishness.}

In come the:
BALLET DANCERS
     {The Ballet Dancers may represent what CBS thinks of her recent videos,
serious and hoity-toity. They may have told her to "loosen up" and stop taking
herself so seriously.}

And she:
STANDS THERE
   {As everyone knows, in American rock videos, she singer just stands there
while dancers rush around, trying desperatly to create the illusion that the
singer is dancing, as in videos by Kim Karnes, Rod Stewart, Elton John and
others. God forbid that the singer actually try to dance, as in Sting's "We'll
Be Together". Kate, as we all know, can dance very well, but she tried that
with "Running Up That Hill" and that video was bumped in favor of a TV show
in which she was safely behind a podium.}

Then the ballet dancers:
FADE AWAY

Then Sufi Dancers or:
WHIRLING DEVERISHS
     {Don't you just love them. I do.} [ditto]

The ballet dancers come back and:
TAKE THE CROWN JEWELS
     {Or her Britishness, as CBS may be trying to do.}

Causing Kate to:
VIBRATE VIOLENTLY
     [Free & easy, loose, "Americanized"]

And start:
GOING BACKWARDS
     {Being told to pander to the American market would no doubt be a
[huge] step backwards for Kate at this point in her career.}

The camera pans left to a:
ARCH-TYPICAL "AMERICAN ROCK VIDEO"
     {Dave Guilmor with a wind machine in his face. This video is exclusivly
for the American market. Peter Fitzgerald-Morris tells us it hasn't been shown
in England. Near as we can tell CBS picked this song as the first single and
asked her for "a video for the American market" and she must have thought "Hmm..
a video for America? Well I guess we'll just have to make an American video."
So she made as American a video as she could.}

Our heroine gets:
CARRIED IN FEET FIRST
      {As she well would have to be. This type of video is known the well-known,
and much dreaded, "Band-in-a-Box"}

And starts to:
GYRATE WILDLY
    {Near as I can tell this is something between The Pony and The Frug. I think
Joey Heatherton invented this one on Hullaballoo.}
[no one has commented on the "hullaballoo" dance moves she made in in the
Dreaming video-same influences at work]

Surrounded by:
CLICHED SHOTS OF BAND MEMBERS
     {Possible award winner for Most-Cliched Visuals on the MTV Music Video
Awards (a hotly contested catagory). The worst lighting I've seen in years.
Par lamps on a straight truss on a chase!! This *cannot* be anything other
than a JOKE, the lighting equivilent of a guitarist running his/her hand up
and down the neck of his/her gee-tar (Kate called this action "obviously wanking
away up there")(see: Heart or any Heavy Metal). Take it from me, the lighting is
dumber than a box of rocks. On purpose. Kate's videos are always well and
subtly lit.}

Until she:
THROWS THE GOLD GLITTER AT THE CAMERA
     {With a manical grin on her face. Watch it in slow motion.}

Thus ends Kate's funniest video. I've broken it down for ease of commenting
by other Love-Hounds. We've run this past Doctor of Katebusholigy Peter David
Fitzgerald-Morris of "Homeground" and he found it amusing and very likely given
Kate's sense of humor. Remember this is Kate we are talking about, Our Lady of
the Oblique Reference, the one who puts lyrics in her songs that even her most
ardent fans cannot decipher, the one who hides secret symbols on her records,
the one who once answered a simple question, "what kind of makeup do you use?",
with, "oh, I don't use makeup anymore, I use latex!". Comments welcome.

                                  Love,
                                      Chris'n'Vickie
                                      [or Vickie'n'Chris]

[notice how the title can be turned into Love an' Danger? No special
significance, I just think it's neat]

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (12/28/89)

In article <8912270931.AA03247@world.std.com> chris@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) writes:
>This should stir'em up some. Here is our interpretation of the Video for
>"Love And Anger". Just the video.

Interesting article.  I laughed until I stopped.

>BLURRY SHOT
>    {Not much meaning here. Just a blurry shot of the skirts of the Sufis.}

Oh please.  EVERYTHING has meaning to the trained mind.  It has to do with
Kate's ambiguous interpretation of her creation.  How many bloody interviews
has she said "I don't know what this song really means" in it.  How else do
you start the video but with a blurry shot?  Oh, well, I suppose it could
just mean that Kate is full of cliched ideas about how to start videos,
since she also started Experiment IV with a blurry fade in to focus...

>She is:
>SHOWERED WITH GOLD
>    {As she will be, metaphoricaly, if she succeeds in America, the last
>holdout in the "civilized" world. We feel this video is the direct result of
>a conversation with CBS record executives.}

As she will be, literally, by all the people who think that she's turned
into a lame, middle-aged old fool.  Whoa, that was a bitter comment...
I think you were right actually, since this album has done very well in
the civilized parts of America, at least comparatively.

>And she:
>STANDS THERE
>   {As everyone knows, in American rock videos, she singer just stands there
>while dancers rush around, trying desperatly to create the illusion that the
>singer is dancing, as in videos by Kim Karnes, Rod Stewart, Elton John and
>others. God forbid that the singer actually try to dance, as in Sting's "We'll
>Be Together". Kate, as we all know, can dance very well, but she tried that
>with "Running Up That Hill" and that video was bumped in favor of a TV show
>in which she was safely behind a podium.}

Of course, you load your interpretation with facts that fit your own
parochial outlook.  There are some damn good dancers in the video
market today.  Of course, they are all uniformly terrible
singers/songwriters/producers.  Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul and Madonna
all spring (repulsively) to mind.

>Then Sufi Dancers or:
>WHIRLING DEVERISHS
>     {Don't you just love them. I do.} [ditto]

I really do.  What do they represent, in the Sufi tradition?  I'm
geniunely curious.

>The ballet dancers come back and:
>TAKE THE CROWN JEWELS
>     {Or her Britishness, as CBS may be trying to do.}

They're succeeding really well.

>Causing Kate to:
>VIBRATE VIOLENTLY
>     [Free & easy, loose, "Americanized"]

Maybe that's because that's when the song takes off into the realm of
"Americanized" rock 'n' roll.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |

kudla@PAWL.RPI.EDU (Robert J. Kudla) (01/01/90)

>Interesting article.  I laughed until I stopped.

I, regretfully, have only seen the video once, and then only the last
thirty seconds of it. As a result, I thought it was supposed to be
Kate making a covert parody of American rock videos. I am glad to see
that I was somewhat right....

One thing though.

>There are some damn good dancers in the video market today.  Of
>course, they are all uniformly terrible
>singers/songwriters/producers.  Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul and
>Madonna all spring (repulsively) to mind.
 ^^^^^^^

Now, the other two are more or less horrible and even Madonna's no
Kate when it comes to songwriting department, but I think she deserves
a bit better of an adjective than "repulsive". I even sort of like her
last album.

I haven't the foggiest idea, however, where you got the notion that
she can dance. She can writhe much as I do when I wake up feeling
particularly uninspired to face the world, and do it on many surfaces
such as concrete or astroturf, but she can't *dance*.

Anyway, back to Our Lady and the world at hand.
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (01/04/90)

In article <|-G2W_@rpi.edu> kudla@PAWL.RPI.EDU (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>One thing though.
>
>>There are some damn good dancers in the video market today.  Of
>>course, they are all uniformly terrible
>>singers/songwriters/producers.  Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul and
>>Madonna all spring (repulsively) to mind.
> ^^^^^^^
>
>Now, the other two are more or less horrible and even Madonna's no
>Kate when it comes to songwriting department, but I think she deserves
>a bit better of an adjective than "repulsive". I even sort of like her
>last album.

Gee, a better adjective than "repulsive" huh?  How about "hellspawn"?
How about "sludgy"?  How about "unbelievably appalling"?  I dunno, I
guess in terms of obnoxiousness there are far more stunning examples
of No Redeeming Social Value, but Madonna is just covered in slime...
Everything she touches turns to shit.

>I haven't the foggiest idea, however, where you got the notion that
>she can dance. She can writhe much as I do when I wake up feeling
>particularly uninspired to face the world, and do it on many surfaces
>such as concrete or astroturf, but she can't *dance*.

Well, then she's a good twitcher or writher.  I find it eye pleasing.
Even more so than the Kate Hammersmith Odeon show...  (Ooh, I can hear
the flame guns warming up already...)
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (woj) (01/04/90)

Jon Drukman will no doubt deny writing:
>>Now, the other two are more or less horrible and even Madonna's no
>>Kate when it comes to songwriting department, but I think she deserves
>>a bit better of an adjective than "repulsive". I even sort of like her
>>last album.

> Gee, a better adjective than "repulsive" huh?  How about "hellspawn"?
> How about "sludgy"?  How about "unbelievably appalling"?  I dunno, I
> guess in terms of obnoxiousness there are far more stunning examples
> of No Redeeming Social Value, but Madonna is just covered in slime...
> Everything she touches turns to shit.

While I agree with you regarding the questionable social value, she does
have a few decent songs. The only though that springs to mind is "Tale to
Tell" that is just plain eerie. _Like_A_Virgin_ and the latest album, though,
are trash imho.

>>I haven't the foggiest idea, however, where you got the notion that
>>she can dance. She can writhe much as I do when I wake up feeling
>>particularly uninspired to face the world, and do it on many surfaces
>>such as concrete or astroturf, but she can't *dance*.
>
> Well, then she's a good twitcher or writher.  I find it eye pleasing.
> Even more so than the Kate Hammersmith Odeon show...  (Ooh, I can hear
> the flame guns warming up already...)

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

woj

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams) (04/19/91)

Chris here,

Judi McKernan posted:

>  Well, I picked up my copy of The Sensual World Videos, and have watched it
> about 6 times now. Just wanted to share what I thought/felt about them, and
> am curious to know if anyone else agrees/disagrees with me.
> <deleted>
>  Anyway- while I greatly enjoyed the video for "Love and Anger", as of yet
> I don't find anything truly outstanding about it. Am I missing something?
> I couldn't find any real relationship between the dancers and what I
> perceive the meaning of the song to be. The scepter was a nice touch,
> tho- made "The Great Goddess KaTe" appear very regal, even in the simple
> black jumpsuit.
> Also, while I greatly enjoyed the appearance by Dave Gilmour (another
> favorite of mine- coincidence?), I found the scenes of KaTe dancing before > the band to be missing something. Don't get me wrong- the woman has a very > sensual power when she moves. It's just that this video didn't really
> connect for me. If I'm missing something obvious (or even not-so-obvious), > somebody please clue me in!
>
>                                    judi

    Last year Vickie and I came up with a theory. Here's what we posted...

[...]

    There were a few comments from |>oug and Jon Drukman, but otherwise
folks seemed to like it.

                                Chris Williams of
                                    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

P.S. Sorry if any of our recent postings are behind the times, and answer
     questions that have already been answered. We have to get our mail else-
     where, create replies at home, and go to still another place to send
     mail.

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (04/23/91)

From article <m0jTgwH-0003CmC@chinet.chi.il.us>, by katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams):
> Chris here,

[stuff left out]

> This should stir'em up some. Here is our interpretation of the Video for
> "Love And Anger". Just the video.
>
> The parts in {}'s are from Chris. The Parts in []'s are from Vickie.
>
> Video starts with a:
> BLURRY SHOT
>     {Not much meaning here. Just a blurry shot of the skirts of the Sufis.}

[stuff left out]

> The camera pans left to a:
> ARCH-TYPICAL "AMERICAN ROCK VIDEO"
>      {Dave Guilmor with a wind machine in his face. This video is exclusivly
> for the American market. Peter Fitzgerald-Morris tells us it hasn't been
> shown in England. Near as we can tell CBS picked this song as the first
> single and asked her for "a video for the American market" and she must have
> thought "Hmm.. a video for America? Well I guess we'll just have to make an
> American video." So she made as American a video as she could.}

The _Love_And_Anger_ video was shown in the UK on ITV's "Chart Show" on
Saturday Feb 24 1990, the single having been released the week before.
There may have been other showings but that but this one was reported
by Steve Wallis here on Love-Hounds.

>     There were a few comments from |>oug and Jon Drukman, but otherwise
> folks seemed to like it.

As I think I remarked at the time I think of it as a just a bunch of
contrasting pairs like "love and anger", the orb and scepter, the
dervishes and ballet dancers and the first and second parts of the
video.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/24/91)

>From article <m0jTgwH-0003CmC@chinet.chi.il.us>, by katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams):
>> The camera pans left to a:
>> ARCH-TYPICAL "AMERICAN ROCK VIDEO"
>>      {Dave Guilmor with a wind machine in his face. This video is exclusivly
>> for the American market. Peter Fitzgerald-Morris tells us it hasn't been
>> shown in England. Near as we can tell CBS picked this song as the first
>> single and asked her for "a video for the American market" and she must have
>> thought "Hmm.. a video for America? Well I guess we'll just have to make an
>> American video." So she made as American a video as she could.}
>
>The _Love_And_Anger_ video was shown in the UK on ITV's "Chart Show" on
>Saturday Feb 24 1990, the single having been released the week before.
>There may have been other showings but that but this one was reported
>by Steve Wallis here on Love-Hounds.
>"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell

Hi, Richard!  I hope there's no hard feelings about the spat we're
having -- I mean nothing personal towards anyone, I assure you.

In any case, as I'm sure you know "Love and Anger" was the first
American single, and she made the video for it long before there
was any thought of releasing it as a single in Britain.  So Chris's
(tongue-in-cheek?) remarks are still vailid.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (04/24/91)

From article <9104231925.AA01120@das.llnl.gov>, by ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi):

> Hi, Richard!  I hope there's no hard feelings about the spat we're
> having -- I mean nothing personal towards anyone, I assure you.

No problem, Ed.  You've been completely reasonable.

> In any case, as I'm sure you know "Love and Anger" was the first
> American single, and she made the video for it long before there
> was any thought of releasing it as a single in Britain.  So Chris's
> (tongue-in-cheek?) remarks are still vailid.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean to imply that _Love &
Anger_ wasn't chosen for the American market.  It clearly was.  My
only intention was to correct the mistaken statement that the L&A
video was never shown in the UK.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

graham@UG.CS.DAL.CA (Michael Graham) (04/24/91)

I'm pretty sure that TSW was the first canadian single, then L&A, then TWW.

mike the lazy typist (sorry you have to keep seeing my .sig - I'll rename it)

--
Michael Graham          |"Say you were going to sing in a club tomorrow -
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     | what kind of stuff would you sing?"

KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU (06/13/91)

Towards the end of Love and Anger, Kate says something that I can't make
out.  It's about 7 or 8 seconds before she says "Yeah!" and it sounds
like "Only in Jest".  She says it in the video as well.  Does anyone
else have a better idea of what she's saying?

Bob

krovetz@cs.umass.edu

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (06/15/91)

>From article <5F585A78339F20C030@cs.umass.EDU>, by KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU:
> Towards the end of Love and Anger, Kate says something that I can't make
> out.  It's about 7 or 8 seconds before she says "Yeah!" and it sounds
> like "Only in Jest".  She says it in the video as well.  Does anyone
> else have a better idea of what she's saying?

Yeah, we were looking at that on the laser disc the other night.  I
had never noticed that she actually lip syncs that ad-lib but that's
typical of her attention to detail.

Unfortunately after looping it through several times we're no closer
to an answer even after watching her lips carefully (not exactly a
bothersome thing to do).  For a while I thought it might have been
something along the lines of "pause for the jet" but it looks like
the "f" sound should come sooner in the phrase. I don't remember
anything that looked or sounded like "Only", we'll have to check that
one again.  It looks like the last word is something along the lines
of "jet", "yet" or "jest".

Any other ideas, folks?  How about _Heads We're Dancing_?  Has anyone
else detected what sounds like barely audible background vocals during
the chorus?  It always gets my attention but I can't make out a single
word or even be sure it's there.  Maybe I shouldn't play it so loud.