[rec.music.gaffa] Happy Rhodes...

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (02/06/91)

Hmmm.  I posted this a few days ago and it never showed up (that I saw),
so let's try again...  If any of you are suffering through it again, my
apologies are tendered.

----------------2/4/91-------------

<grin>

Charlotte Stern just posted some comments on Happy Rhodes, which I find
humorous, as I just logged into with the express purpose of posting on
the same subject.

Vicki:  thankythankyouthankyouthankyou.  I know I've said that to you before,
especially wrt Happy (I was one of the luckies early enough on the SiG - 118
mailing to get copies).  I finally got around to ordering the four Happy
Rhodes tapes from AG, and they've just arrived!

To anyone familliar with Happy:

a) the leaflets credit Happy with the cover art.  One of the photos looks
like it may just be a massively unfocused close-up of a face.  The other
three appear to be paintings.  Am I to assume that Happy is a visual artist
as well--did she paint these?  (I particularly like the _Vol. I_ cover)

b) Piffle.  The insert to my copy of _Rearmament_, despite saying _Rearmament)
on the cover and having the correct cover art, has the paste-in from _Vol. I_,
which means I have no idea what the names of the songs are!  Could someone
please send me a track list for this?

c) Has anybody ever taken the time to transcribe any of the lyrics?  Over
the summer I did "Don't Want to Hear It" (there were a couple of words I
couldn't figure) and "Ode" and I think I may have done another one or
two.

Charlotte:  Agreed, there are times that Happy's synth has a little well, I
guess it might be called casio-tone. Sure, the Fairlight is a great machine,
but it's bloody expensive.  And if nothing else, the lower quality of the
synth emphasizes the beauty of Happy's voice.  Speaking of her voice,
I have friends who say that they can't distinguish KaTe's and Happy's high
ends.  I think they're fairly distinct, but the similarity can get scary at
times.

|3ill:  Thanks for taking over the mailing list/pseudo-moderation job!  A
few days ago I was trying to figure out what we could use as a nifty
first-letter for your name, and came up with what everyone else seems to
have come up with...  In any event, thanks again!

For those interested:  Kevin Bartlett included a short note with my tapes,
apologizing for the delay in sending them to me.  He also mentioned, in
said note, that Happy and he would be in Boston on 1/24 to master the CD of
"Warpaint," Happy's new album.  Hopefully this means it'll be out RSN.

For those not interested:  You should be.  Happy Rhodes is not to be missed.
I know it's been posted before, but, hell, another testimonial won't hurt.
The address to order the tapes is:

	Aural Gratification
	Box 8658 Academy Station
	Albany, NY  12208

The four albums (_Rhodes Volumes I and II_, _Rearmament_, and _Ecto_) are
$9.95 each, postage is 1.50; add 7% sales tax if you're in NY.

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |

mas@bucsf.bu.EDU (Mark A. Semich) (02/07/91)

In article <9102061442.AA18385@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU writes:
>b) Piffle.  The insert to my copy of _Rearmament_, despite saying _Rearmament)
>on the cover and having the correct cover art, has the paste-in from _Vol. I_,
>which means I have no idea what the names of the songs are!  Could someone
>please send me a track list for this?

Well, since I happen to have a copy of the tape right here, I figured
I'd post the track listing as there's always the small chance that the
names of the songs alone may spur someone on to buy the tape... :-)

	A		REARMAMENT		B
1. The Perfect Irony			1. Box H.A.P.
2. For We Believe			2. I Have a Heart
3. I Am a Legend			3. Crystal Orbs
4. 'Til the Dawn Breaks			4. Because I Learn
5. The Issue Is				5. Baby Don't Go
6. Friend You'll Be			6. Rhodes Waltz
7. Dreams Are				7. Ally Ally Oxenfree

		1986 by Happy Rhodes
	Cover Art by Happy Rhodes
		ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (02/19/91)

>Vickie here.
>

>Yes, she painted the covers of Vol. I & II. Yes, Rearmament is a photo. It's
>Happy. I think Ecto is a photo too, I can't remember the details about it.
>I & II are "demons that lurk."

Now I'm even more impressed with her...;-)

>> c) Has anybody ever taken the time to transcribe any of the lyrics?  Over
>> the summer I did "Don't Want to Hear It" (there were a couple of words I
>> couldn't figure) and "Ode" and I think I may have done another one or
>> two.
>
>Happy sent me the lyrics to Ecto but has never herself sat down and trans-
>cribed the lyrics of the first three. I've never done it myself. It needs
>to be done because on so many songs there are so many voices that it's
>hard to pick out lyrics. Anyone who's willing to help work on it? We
>could get them to a point where we only have a few words missing and I
>could send a semi-final version to Happy for her to finish up. She'd be
>willing to do that.

YES!

I'd already started working on transcribing bunches of the songs anyway.

I don't know how we'd want to coordinate something like this--I'm sure the
mailing-list part of Love-Hounds doesn't want to see billions of copies
half-completed Happy lyrics showing up in their mailboxes.  I'm willing to
try coordinating an effort...something along the lines of I'd keep a list
of people willing to work on lyrics.  As I work on or receive copies of
lyrics from people, I can mail them out to those on the list.  People can
then send me corrections/suggestions.  After a few days of nothing new, I
can send out our "final" version.

Anyone willing to help on this?

I've currently got partial lyrics to:  "Possessed," "Given In," "Moonbeam
Friends," "Step Inside," "The Wretches Gone Awry," "Noone Here," "To the
Funny Farm," "The Perfect Irony," "I Am A Legend," and "Crystal Orbs."

The only one I'm at all sure of my accuracy on is "Possessed" (possibly
my favorite song by her!).  I still haven't decided if the first word
is 'paralyzed' or 'tantalized' but...

Jeff
(who's been working on lyrics to _Rearmament_, but has completely given
up on "For We Believe")

|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    | the rain and the cold."  --Happy Rhodes|

stern@chem.nwu.EDU (Charlotte Stern) (03/09/91)

If you have not yet taken the time and put aside the money to
attain Happy Rhodes collection of tapes, you are undoubtedly missing out
on something that you will kick yourself for forever when you finally attain
them (and you will).  After listening to the first 2 volumes repeatedly
every day for a couple of weeks, I feel compelled to once again beat all
serious Kate fans and music lovers over the head about this woman.

This music really grows on you and the evolutionary process is reminiscent of
the spiritual journey on which I came to know Kate.

I cannot fathom that these volumes will *never* be on CD.  Or that they
will no longer be available on cassette pretty soon.  It is impossible.
They are too good.  Some day they will be available on CD, I am certain.

Perhaps, Vickie, you can explain why you believe that they will not be.

Multiple vats of thank to Mr. Burka for the transcriptions which I have yet
to critique seriously, but which on first glance appear to be on the whole
quite accurate.

Some songs from the first two volumes that are now indispensible to my life
are:  I'll Let You Go, Moonbeam Friends, The Wretches Gone Awry (ohmygodthis
isgreat), Noone Here (and I don't even like cats!), and my current fave,
The Chase.

You don't know what you're missing.

-seriouspostmjm (mike mendelson)

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (03/09/91)

mjm writes:

[stuff telling people to buy the Happy stuff]

Yeah.  What he said.

>They are too good.  Some day they will be available on CD, I am certain.

Yeah.  What he said again.

>Multiple vats of thank to Mr. Burka for the transcriptions which I have yet
>to critique seriously...

As KaTe would say, "I'm waiting..."

But in any event, I'm glad you like what I've done so far; the accuracy
is questionable in a lot of places, but hey...what can ya do?  <grin>

>Some songs from the first two volumes that are now indispensible to my life
>are:  I'll Let You Go, Moonbeam Friends, The Wretches Gone Awry (ohmygodthis
>isgreat), Noone Here (and I don't even like cats!

:-)  Moonbeam Friends and WGA are two of my favorite songs.  By anyone.
My first exposure to "I'll Let You Go" was on my copy of Vicki's "SiG 118,"
where it follows "Ecto."  I used to not like the song.  I used to fast
forward through it.    Then I transcribed it.  Wow.  "The pain will come and
eat away at my soul."  Wow.

Volume II is on the way.  If anybody wants to see the lyrics-in-progress,
drop me a line and I'll send ya a copy.

Now if we can only get Vicki to send out the lyrics to _Ecto_, which she
said she had.  I'm *dying* to see the full lyrics to "Would That I Could."

Jeff
- --
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    | the rain and the cold."  --Happy Rhodes|

------- End of Forwarded Message

hargieka@clutx.clarkson.EDU ("K. Alexandra Hargie") (04/19/91)

     Well just received _Warpaint_ in the mail...I love iT
of course....listened to it at least four times already!
Now I can really say that this is a brilliant albums.  In
fact I can't wait to get the tapes now....Thanks Jeff ofr
the lyrics....they are amazing!!!
     If you love Kate you will probably like Happy, she's
a fantastic writer, and as the most unusual vocal range...
anywhere from Kate to Annie Lennox to Sarah McLachlan.
Planning on giving Happy plenty of air time up here in
unappreciative Potsdam....but heck I try!

Kirstin "Harg"ie a.k.a. Alexandra - a witch of Eastwick.
hargieka@clutx.clarkson.edu
hargieka@clutx.bitnet
"Anyway!"

stevev@greylady.uoregon.EDU (Steve VanDevender) (05/03/91)

Well, I've been listening to my new Happy Rhodes tapes for the
past several days with brief Kate breaks, and I agree with
Vickie, Charlotte, and Jeff that she is indeed a musical genius.

I think that in some dreary alternative history Kate Bush might
have had to struggle for recognition like Happy is doing, if she
hadn't got her leg up into the business.  You should all go out
and buy Happy tapes, since even if you don't like her you'll have
given her the money and recognition she needs to be heard by
everyone who does and will like her music.

My favorites?  From _Rhodes Vol. I_, "Oh the Drears", "I'll Let
You Go", "Case of Glass", "Moonbeam Friends", "The First to Cry",
"The Wretches Gone Awry".  From _Rhodes Vol. II_, "The
Revelation", "Under and Over the Brink", "Not For Me", "One
Alien", and "To the FunnyFarm".  At least those are the ones that
stand out in my mind when I just looked over the titles on the
tape.

I've been waiting to see how Happy would sing "I've lost my way
through this world of profanities/ I thrive on the wind and the
rain and the cold" since Jeff Burka's signature drilled the line
into my brain.  It was certainly more beautiful than I could
imagine ahead of time.

For those of you willing to buy Happy Rhodes's music based on
just our recommendations, the best way I can describe it is that
it's very simple, light-sounding music on the first listen, but
the lyrics are complex and often dark.  Vickie's example quote
from "To the FunnyFarm": "And when I go I'll be efficient at
making ashtrays" not only looks rather chilling in print, but the
delivery is subtly amazing.  "The First To Cry" is another song
that sounds like some sort of romantic tearjerker if you don't
pay attention, but which seems to be a song about suicide to me.
And knowing that Happy is a Wendy Carlos fan makes her very
simple and primitive-sounding synthesizer sounds understandable
and easier to appreciate.  I'll probably be sending off for
_Rearmament_ and _Ecto_ next week.

I forget who was trying to compile lyrics, but I'd be willing to
help out, as long as you keep in mind that I have a full-time job
and a full-time hobby so I may not crank them out very quickly.
Although at this point I think all I can do is get some of them
hilariously wrong, rather like the bit about "my oxy and my toe"
instead of "my oxy and nitro."  I swear Happy sings "I'm not a
peapod, but someday I will pass on through" in "The Wretches Gone
Awry".

I could go on for longer, but I have to finish packing to take a
weekend trip to Spokane for Bloomsday this weekend.  Any
Love-Hounds in Spokane?  Look for my black racing wheelchair with
the electric blue steering handles on the Bloomsday course.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."

JLUECK@NUACVM.BITNET (Jeff Lueck) (05/24/91)

I just got a copy of Warpaint at Rose Records in Evanston.  I can't wait
to get home to hear it!!!

A couple of KaTe questions:

1)  In the _Army Dreamers_ video, KaTe's gun has "KT8" on it.  I don't
    ever remember reading anything about "KT8".  Any significance for the
    8?

2)  Did KaTe actually cut her hair for the _Cloudbusting_ video, or was
    there some move-magic involved?  The hair was perfect for the video,
    but I love her long hair and couldn't imagine her for months without
    it.  (not that I see her on a regular basis to even care, but...)

|           JEFF LUECK              | OFFICE PHONE: (708) 491-3786     |
|HUMAN RESOURCES, NORTHWESTERN UNIV.| EMAIL: JLUECK@NUACVM.ACNS.NWU.EDU|
|720 UNIV. PL, EVANSTON, IL 60208   | *INSERT CLEVER MESSAGE HERE*     |

ed@DAS.LLNL.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (05/24/91)

>2)  Did KaTe actually cut her hair for the _Cloudbusting_ video, or was
>    there some move-magic involved?  The hair was perfect for the video,
>    but I love her long hair and couldn't imagine her for months without
>    it.  (not that I see her on a regular basis to even care, but...)
>
>|           JEFF LUECK              | OFFICE PHONE: (708) 491-3786     |

It was a wig.  But you're not the only person who thought Kate had cut
her hair.  When Vickie met Kate at the airport in New York on her 1985
promotional visit, the first thing Vickie said was, "I thought you cut
your hair!"

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

cboyer@chatham.UUCP (Charles Boyer) (06/10/91)

Could some Mac owner out there that happens to have the Happy Rhodes
elpees be kind enough to aurally digitize excerpts of it and mail it back
to me?  I cannot find the discs here in North Carolina and because of
everyone's reccomendations, I'm very interested in seeing what the fuss
is all about...

Thanks...

                        charles

barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) (06/12/91)

Charles Boyer asks:
>Could some Mac owner out there that happens to have the Happy Rhodes
>elpees be kind enough to aurally digitize excerpts of it and mail it
>back to me?

Waaall, I guess so.  It'll be a coupla days, though.  So anybody else who
wants 'em send me a request.  I also have the mystery line from X4: "I
think my mum's back-slapping for listening to destruct...(?)"   It's 60k,
and completely baffling, even sonogrammed.

What Happy shall I do? (not elpees, beeteewee: ceedee 'n' cassesses)
1) "I want to go back to the trees where my art was born..."
2) "I think I need to find the key..."
3) "You cannot defy their will..."
4) "The woman just stared while the cat lay dying (uh!)..."
5) "Lay me down-- encompass me with violets..."

I have to say that these moments are exquisite... but that there are other
places on Warpaint that turn me off.  And that bugs me, and keeps me from
listening as often as I otherwise would.

Re the Happy/UnHappy question, I wish the lyrics-whiners would just plug
it-- you all had many many warnings that they were coming, and said not a
peep, and now it's over and done and won't be repeated so what's the
point???????????

barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) (06/12/91)

In article <9106121311.AA18251@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> I shrieked:

> Re the Happy/UnHappy question, I wish the lyrics-whiners would just plug
> it-- you all had many many warnings that they were coming, and said not a
> peep, and now it's over and done and won't be repeated so what's the
> point???????????

Please I hope everyone understands that I love you all, without qualifi-
cations, and don't mean to sound otherwise.  Maybe we should all take a
deep breath, hold hands, and chant "Om" or something...

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.EDU (Kenneth R Brownfield) (06/17/91)

barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) writes:
>Re the Happy/UnHappy question, I wish the lyrics-whiners would just plug
>it-- you all had many many warnings that they were coming, and said not a
>peep, and now it's over and done and won't be repeated so what's the
>point???????????

     I wasn't aware that anyone was whining about the lyrics.
     That's not the problem.
     On to a more flame-retardant subject:
     Is the address to subscribe to the love-hounds mailing list still
gaffa-request@eddie.mit.edu?  Is this more than just absolutely wrong?  I've
never needed to know, using rec.music.gaffa all the time.
     Thanks much!
							Ken.
--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu

ed@vsattui.llnl.GOV (Ed Suranyi) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.153153.28991@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.EDU (Kenneth R Brownfield) writes:
>     Is the address to subscribe to the love-hounds mailing list still
>gaffa-request@eddie.mit.edu?  Is this more than just absolutely wrong?

It's absolutely wrong.  The address you want is
love-hounds-request@eddie.mit.edu

--
Ed Suranyi
ed@wente.llnl.gov  <---- Note new e-mail address