[rec.music.gaffa] GIFs on your display

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (06/14/91)

How do my new gifs look on your display - they look so-so on a 24 bit, 100 dpi
Iris screen. Are they ok on a regular PC?

I might scan some stuff from _AVD_ but I don't know if the binding will hold
up.
--
Michael Graham         |   "Well she's not really my half sister...err...
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca    |    more like 2/5ths"

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.COM (Michael Portuesi) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.151432.25861@cs.dal.ca>, graham@ug.cs.dal.ca
(Michael Graham) writes:
|> How do my new gifs look on your display - they look so-so on a 24
|> bit, 100 dpi
|> Iris screen. Are they ok on a regular PC?

They look so-so on my 24-bit, 100 dpi Iris screen too.  For a while, I
was trying to put together my own lyrics booklet for
_This_)Woman's_Work_ incorporating color scanned images, but most of
the pictures in the archives don't cut it when viewed on anything but
the screen.

I would take the time to scan in some hi-res, 24-bit TIFF files for
the archives, but unfortunately I don't have anything special to scan,
such as back issues of the _Kate_Bush_Club_Newsletter_ or the
Convention programme.  I also don't know if the archive has enough
disk space to hold them.

Is there any demand for high-res, true-color scans of KT pics?  Keep
in mind that they will be large, and in TIFF instead of GIF format
(GIF can only handle 8-bit pictures).

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

gb10@gte.COM (Gregory Bossert) (06/20/91)

Michael Portuesi says:

> Is there any demand for high-res, true-color scans of KT pics?  Keep
>in mind that they will be large, and in TIFF instead of GIF format
>^C
(Interrupt -- one more to kill letter)
^CInterrupt
& mail lh
Subject: Re: GIFs on your display

Michael Portuesi says:

> Is there any demand for high-res, true-color scans of KT pics?  Keep
> in mind that they will be large, and in TIFF instead of GIF format
> (GIF can only handle 8-bit pictures).

*sigh*  i was just musing on the graphics limitations of my equipment,
and wondering how i could channel some money from the Mac to upgrade
the Amiga, when along comes Michael from Silicon Graphics...

envy aside, as far as i'm concerned, the more scans the better.
my greyscale scans of the KBC newsletters and the tour program are
disappointing compared to the color originals.  i don't know how
much room we have left for the archives, but i'd say that color
TIFFs (and companion high quality GIFs) would be most welcome.

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com --
	"a woman drew her long black hair out tight
	 and fiddled whisper music on those strings
	 and bats with baby faces in the violet light
	 whistled, and beat their wings" -- T.S. Eliot