[rec.music.gaffa] Kirsty MacColl

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/17/89)

Really-From: Norvald Stol <stol%vax.elab.unit.uninett@nac.no>

Quote from "You and me baby" (from K. MacColls "Kite") :

       "Rosebud, oh Rosebud
        He turned to me and wept
        A vaguely coded message
        I could never intercept"

Seems that KT is not the only one with references to Houdini.
Can't find other Houdini-related text in the song, however.

Norvald.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/17/89)

Really-From: genrad!rbt@seismo.css.gov (Robert B. Tufts)

In article <314*stol@vax.elab.unit.uninett> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Norvald Stol <stol%vax.elab.unit.uninett@nac.no>
>
>Quote from "You and me baby" (from K. MacColls "Kite") :
>
>       "Rosebud, oh Rosebud
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	He turned to me and wept
>        A vaguely coded message
>        I could never intercept"
>
>Seems that KT is not the only one with references to Houdini.
>Can't find other Houdini-related text in the song, however.
>
>Norvald.

Seems to me I remember KT words as "Rosabel believe"

I also remember "Rosebud" was the name of Citizen Kanes' sled

I'm no authority on Houdini, so maybe someone else could clear this up.

-Bob T.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/18/89)

Really-From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)

>Really-From: Norvald Stol <stol%vax.elab.unit.uninett@nac.no>
>
>Quote from "You and me baby" (from K. MacColls "Kite") :
>
>       "Rosebud, oh Rosebud
>        He turned to me and wept
>        A vaguely coded message
>        I could never intercept"
>
>Seems that KT is not the only one with references to Houdini.
>Can't find other Houdini-related text in the song, however.

I'm not surprised.  What does that have to do with "Houdini"??  Or
even Houdini (sans quotes)?  "Rosebud" is the "big secret" in the
movie "Citizen Kane."  Perhaps Ms. MacColl is referring to that
particular film when she mentions "a vaguely coded message"?
If you haven't seen "Citizen Kane" yet, you probably should because
it is supposedly one of the all-time classic American films.  I wasn't
too impressed with it, probably because I had to see it in a class at
school, and they almost always manage to ruin the magic of movies -
except for when I saw "Zardoz" in SF Lit class: that film had no
magic to ruin.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |

colm@MATHCS.EMORY.EDU (Colm Mulcahy) (02/25/90)

In article <11900.9002241446@r5.cs.man.ac.uk> stevew@mushroom.COMputer-science.manchester.ac.UK (Steve Wallis) writes:
>Nice to see Colm Mulcahy's article on Kirsty MacColl.  I've quite liked her
>since _A_New_England_ but her new stuff is really good.  May I add a little
>more information...
>
>She released another album imaginatively titled "Kirsty MacColl" in 1985.  It

no, no, no - POLYDOR released this album in the UK to cash in on the interest
generated by A New England.    She was bored Stiff with it by then :-)

>consisted of ten tracks from "Desperate Character" plus three more (_Annie_,

they left off the best track: Mexican Sofa ....

>_Roman_Gardens_ and _Berlin_).  A strange but interesting fact is that she

Berlin had been a single in 1983 or so.  The other two new songs may have been
its B-sides (there was a 12").  While decent enough cuts, they cetairnly don't
belong jumbled up wth the harder edged Desparate Characters tracks.

>sings _There's_A_Guy_Down_The_Chip_Shop_Swears_He's_Elvis_ twice as fast on
>the album than the single.

hold on: the original album had BOTH the fast and slow versions.  the reissue
dropped one - the slow one I think.

If you're from Manchester you'll know about Kirsty's work with both Marr &
Morrisey ....... and may be interested in the "new" Clive Gregson & Christine
Collister release.

--
Colm Mulcahy           | email address:                 |  The younger bums
Dept. of Math & CS,    | colm@mathcs.emory.edu          |  will likely

@EDDIE.MIT.EDU:REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET (06/19/91)

dan kozak sez:
>Ah, yes the wonderful cover of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby"

eh. it's okay. but not nearly as good as:

>"They Don't Know About Us"

which i consider to be one the true pop gems of all time.

>Now the question: does anyone know how to get hold of "They Don't Know
>About Us" or any of her other early singles?

there is a promotional cd called _the real maccoll_ that has five tracks
on it (the guilt mix of "innocence", "tread lightly", "they don't know",
"a new england" (yes the billy bragg tune) and "you just haven't earned
it yet") floating around the various swapmeets. i think it might have
faded by now though as it was released to radio stations sometime last
summer (when you couldn't got a swapmeet without tripping over a few of
'em). not sure about early singles or discography. sorry.

btw, kirsty maccoll's original of "they don't know" is much better than
tracy ullman's cover. mega-light years ahead of it.

woj

markp@serpens.sbi.COM (Mark P*) (06/20/91)

Tue, 18 Jun 1991 10:28:28 -0800
stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern) writes:

>I got this off of some FTP site with discographies that dave datta
>talks about every now and then... it is very complete... but I have
>still been unable to find any pre-Kite Kirsty.  I *wish* they'd
>put out *everything* on cd.  Damn those record companies.

Discography follows.

It seems perhaps that many Kirsty MacColl fans are blissfully unaware
of her earlier efforts with U.K. Punk band 'The Drug Addicts', who
later shortened their name to 'The Addix', this is probably because
she used the pseudonym 'Mandy Doubt' (mandied out, geddit?).

She is featured on an EP called 'The Drug Addicts make a record'
which includes four tracks. The only one I can remember is called
'Gay Boys in Bondage' which had a chorus like:

Gay Boys in Bondage - Feel the pleasure and the pain
Gay Boys in Bondage - won't you beat me again!

and was recorded at RMS studios in Croydon sometime in the late seventies/early eighties.

and she still owes me a beer.

Marc Power.

stern@chem.nwu.EDU (Charlotte Stern) (06/20/91)

wow.
You should sent that info to Dave Datta so he can update his discography.
Or to the original author of the thing.
-mjm

larryy@Apple.COM (Larry Yaeger) (06/23/91)

I just had to share this... on alt.music.exotic, someone inquired about a
source of didgeridu music, got a few answers, and then later responded:

>As far as the music, I purchased the Kate Bush album "the dreaming" it didn't
>feature the didjeri as much as I liked, and the music was, well, really odd.

:-)

Also thought I'd use this opportunity to note that our local r.m.g has
received no postings whatsoever for the last several days.  Probably a
result of the moderator being away... but if you get this via netnews
within a couple of days of 6/22 (and hence postings are getting *out* in
a timely fashion), perhaps you could let me know by email?  <Gulps loudly
hoping not to see 275 messages next time he checks his email!>
--
-larryy@apple.com

"You wouldn't recognize a *subtle plan* if it painted itself purple,
and danced naked upon a harpsichord, singing, 'Subtle Plans are Here Again'."
                        -  Edmund Blackadder