[rec.music.gaffa] Brevity is the essence of wit..

bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft) (06/22/91)

I'm quite sure that we all like lots of muscians, and that is quite an
admirable quality to have..  But, might I enquire, can't all of this be a
bit more moderated? It is very annoying to be seeing double posts running
rampant, only to be quoted fully again and again when they are debated
endlessly later.. Could we at least agree to urge the weeding out of these
offending double-posts and make references to previous posts without quoting
the post verbatim ad nausea? This is really a magazine, of sorts, and as
such, we should issue a certain discretion to make sure that what we write
isn't too redundant. Keep Happy, Kate, Caterwaul, LPD (by all means), and
hell, seeing others like them, even T'pau. Just keep it informative, to the
point, and entertaining. We shouldn't try to be excessively American in our
hit & run viewpoint of entertainment, but it would be nice to see more
information and a tad less bickerring.
Bullroar@darkside.com ... now go and sin no more... :)

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.EDU (Kenneth R Brownfield) (06/26/91)

bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft) writes:

>I'm quite sure that we all like lots of muscians, and that is quite an
>admirable quality to have..  But, might I enquire, can't all of this be a
>bit more moderated? It is very annoying to be seeing double posts running
>rampant, only to be quoted fully again and again when they are debated
>endlessly later.. Could we at least agree to urge the weeding out of these
>offending double-posts and make references to previous posts without quoting
>the post verbatim ad nausea? This is really a magazine, of sorts, and as
>such, we should issue a certain discretion to make sure that what we write
>isn't too redundant. Keep Happy, Kate, Caterwaul, LPD (by all means), and
>hell, seeing others like them, even T'pau. Just keep it informative, to the
>point, and entertaining. We shouldn't try to be excessively American in our
>hit & run viewpoint of entertainment, but it would be nice to see more
>information and a tad less bickerring.

     Moderation is a Bad Thing, IMO.  The joy of this group (and something
that needs to grow) is the ability to express _any_ opinion.  Double posts
are not worth it for Bill to go through _every single post_ and verify it's
originality.  As for referencing other posts, it's a required part of netnews,
to be able to follow an article and it's responses over a period of several
days.  At least it's required for me.  Context is a good thing.
     Argumentation is a lot different than bickering.  You might even learn
something.  :-)
     American?  Huh?

--
                                                        Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield                            brownfld@uiuc.edu

larry@csccat.cs.COM (Larry Spence) (06/26/91)

In article <XmoX42w164w@darkside.com> bullroar@darkside.COM (Mark Kraft) writes:
>I'm quite sure that we all like lots of muscians, and that is quite an
>admirable quality to have..                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apparently you haven't read the post in r.m.music by the girl who would
"give [her] very life to see Morrissey."  %) %)

>Could we at least agree to urge the weeding out of these
>offending double-posts and make references to previous posts without quoting
>the post verbatim ad nausea?

When people are engaged in an argument where they're disagreeing about what
various parties have said/implied, we're going to see old posts quoted.  To
the extent that I follow things like the AATHP/LL flames (not much), I don't
want someone to make unsupported accusations.  Quoting the other side's exact
words can be tedious, but necessary.

>This is really a magazine, of sorts, and as
>such, we should issue a certain discretion to make sure that what we write
>isn't too redundant.

Another factor is that people all over the world see a post within maybe a
few hours of each other, and many reply within hours of each other.  So we
end up with a bunch of posts that all quote the same posting.  I can't see
how this could be avoided without heavy moderation and a considerable delay.
I would prefer to get everything ASAP and do my own editing.  Subscribe to
Homeground or whatever if you want it all neat and tidy (and boring)...

>Just keep it informative, to the
>point, and entertaining. We shouldn't try to be excessively American in our
>hit & run viewpoint of entertainment,
Oh, I see, that's all Kate is to you, _entertainment_, huh?!?  %)

>but it would be nice to see more
>information and a tad less bickerring.

There's not that much going on, Kate-wise, thus the various arguments & etc.
Do you have some Tour O' Life Mark II info for us, hmm? %)

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com