[rec.music.gaffa] sTuff

nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (06/24/89)

> From: peter@xal (Peter Freeman)

> What I'd like to know is where these tapes came from?  I mean in the
> beginning.  How many tapes were originally made, one for KT, one for
> Dave Gilmour, ones for who else?  How did the original bootlegger come
> across this?  At the EMI vaults?  I'm curious to know the chronology
> of a bootleg tape like this.  Any example would be appreciated, even
> if it does not involve KT.

Rumor says that when Kate was just a wee girl (actually an early
teenager), she recorded many of her songs (not in a fancy studio or
anything -- just with whatever equipment her family had lying around)
and sent tapes off to many a record company.  At this time, none the
record comapnies showed any interest, saying that her music was marose
and uncommercial.  It has always seemed to me likely that some day or
another, one of these tapes might show up.  It seems likely to me now
that the tape that has surfaced is one of these early, amateur demo
tapes.

> From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

> After reading the nth letter on this subject, I had a brainstorm.
> Why don't we include some extra cash for KB herself, say an extra
> $3.50 to make the cost an even $10.  That way, we'd get our tapes,
> Kate would get paid, and I'd venture that %35 is more than she makes
> on her regular album sales anyway.  The only people who would lose
> are the lower-than-lawyer bootleggers.  Yeah, I know, there are one
> thousand reasons why this scheme won't work.  Just an idea.

I guarantee you that Kate gives not a hoot about the money.  What she
does care about is that she doesn't want anyone to hear this early
material.  Sending her a few bucks isn't going to change her mind
about this.

> From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)

> Yes, precisely like IED's letter to me.  Mine was a straight parody
> of his style, right down to inappropriate pronouns, overblown
> modifiers, exagerrated analogies, specious transcendentalism, and
> tangled sentence structures.  Sorry that your grasp of English prose
> styling wasn't up to the challenge.

Your parody of IED falls kind of flat because his overblown style is
purposely already a parody.  He self-admitedly is writing in a
pseudo-Reichian style to poke fun at himself.  It's awfully
difficult to parody and parody....

|>oug

"I love you, I love you, I love you.
 I just want to fuck you.... up."

MACGOWAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Douglas MacGowan) (07/14/89)

>Now for a real controversial question: Why do people on this net worship
>this woman. I'll grant that she writes interesting music and poetry, and
>that she is attractive, but seriously, why all the dedication?

Because she goes beyond songs and poetry and speaks of the things that
live in my mind that I am not fully aware of - she just hits a special
nerve.

>the only Emily I know of that would have any sort of interest for
>the very literary Kate would be Emily Dickinson

What about Emily Bronte who wrote "Wuthering Heights"??

If she doesn't die in The Ninth Wave, she must at least have caught
the sniffles.  Maybe if Kate had gone ahead with The Ninth Wave video
project we'd know for sure.  But then she might have made the video as
obscure and open to controversy as the audio.

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA
-------

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/09/89)

Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

Just some general notes that might be of interest
to love-hounds at large:

To Jon Drukman: Your comments about Max Headroom
were absolutely correct. I changed the
reference to "Brigitte Nielson" in the "clean"
version I sent to Andrew for possible _Homeground_
release.  Hope that your anger was purely facetious.

To David Hsu: Sorry I got the KT disk ownership
wrong, but I'm still glad you showed up.
They always said writing was difficult ...

To Andrew and Tracy:  When attempting to reach
me directly, try the address "lofdahl@ide.com".
Hope that works.

			--Corey

A well adjusted person is one who makes the
same mistake twice without getting nervous.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/10/89)

Really-From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)

In article <8908090122.AA18202@ide.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
>
>To Jon Drukman: [...]  Hope that your anger was purely facetious.

Everything I do ever is purely facetious.  I find it's the only way.
Besides, Andy Marvick is quite right - this place is definitely
"chummier" than it has been in past years.  I trust we're all doing
our parts to rectify that.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: John Precedo <jp@doc.ic.ac.uk>

In article <626462@mac.Dartmouth.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
>>>" The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. "
>>>                                            attribution, anyone?
>> L. P. Hartley, of course.  Hasn't every Love-Hound read _The Go-Between_?
>> (Or at least seen Harold Pinter's great screenplay)  Surely you didn't
>expect
>> that one to stump us!  :) :)
>> Jimmy Liberato
>Actually, I asked because I didn't know!  So evidently _not_ every
>Love-Hound has read _The_Go-Between_.  I guess I will.

I didn't know it either, but it sure sounds good. Maybe I should read it too?

>>_Just_Like_a_Prayer_ are considered "subversive".
>That song is titled _Like_a_Prayer_.  (Big whoop.)

You mean you've actually listened too it?!? I though Love-Hounds only
listen to GOOD music :-)       <--notice the smiley, Madonna lovers.

>--------------------------------------Julian-----------------
>  "the past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"
>                               -- l p hartley

--John (who still likes the quote. Can I go there?)

John Precedo		| 		JANET: jp@doc.ic.ac.uk
Imperial College	|
Huxley Building		|	...Its been such a long week...
London Sw7 2BZ		|

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

Hey love-dudes & dudettes:

Just got back from vacation and rifled through
130+ messages so if some of this is dated, please
exhibit the customary tolerance.

First off: Count me in for the SJ Bush-Fire Tracy.
This is exciting news, I can hardly wait.
Excellent organizational job too, I must say.

Secondly, if Julian can find no one to champion
Deb and Tiff, just tell me what to defend them
from and I'll be there.  I know this is a serious
responsibility, and I want love-hounds to know it
is not undertaken lightly.

Finally, to my friend Brian: CHUD means
"Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller".
This neologism comes from the fabulous mega-hit
movie of several ago.  I think Deb did the
soundtrack. (or was it Tiff?)  To avoid being
called "CHUD-bait" in the future, do not submit
postings that are simplisticly antagonistic to
news-groups anymore, especially love-hounds.
Really, what do you expect?

		--Corey

p.s.  I'm also very excited about the ...

        BAY AREA WORLD SERIES !!!!!!!!

Subway series? HA! Fogetaboutit! Getoutahea!
GIANTS!As!GIANTS!As!GIANTS!As!GIANTS!As!GIANTS!As!
But mostly the GIANTS!  All this and a KATE ALBUM?
Is this a great country or what? Yeah! Wooo! Gnarly!

p.s.p.s. The preceding p.s. has nothing whatsoever
         to do with Kate Bush, who must henceforth
         share God-like status with Will Clark and
         Joe "Deity" Montana

KTWCJMRGOD-KTWCJMRGOD-KTWCJMRGOD-KTWCJMRGOD-KTWCJMRGOD

pwh@bucc2.UUCP (Pete Hartman) (12/15/89)

>IED continually insulted Tim Maroney, so that he's no longer seen in this
>newsgrope any more.  This is a shame.

You're entitled to your (obviously WRONG :-) opinion, but I'm much
happier without Maroney's moronic invective continually making him
out to be the best most moral wonderful guy on the net.  IED may be
close-minded, but at least I agree with him.

				...uiucdcs\
	Pete Hartman		......noao >!bradley!bucc2!pwh
				......cepu/

		INTERNET: bradley!bucc2!pwh@a.cs.uiuc.edu
		ARPA: cepu!bradley!bucc2!pwh@seas.ucla.edu
		IF ALL ELSE FAILS: bradley!bucc2!pwh@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/18/90)

Really-From: woj <woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu>

evening folks...

first a warning to KolleKTors: do NOT buy the cd called _burning desires_!
it's a real bad transfer from the tape of the hammersmith film to cd that
sounds as if it was dubbed from the speakers of the tv. not even in stereo.
the boot cd that you want to find is called _kate bush live_ and is on the
label neutral zone. _burning desires_ is on singing pig recorsd out of
luxemborg. again, *avoid* that cd!

a KorreKTion: eric has asked me to let everyone know that, in fact, *he*
has ticket #1 for suzanne in poughkeepsie and that i have number two. ah
well, i got a little over anxious. :)

music: vickie has been remonstrating about edith piaf for a few months/years
whatever, so when i found her greatest hits (!) cd a few days ago in a local
store, i grabbed it. she's right: it's gripping. i know absolutely zero french,
 that's not a requirement for enjoying her voice. it's "showtuneish" (for
lack of a better word - don't shoot me vickie, please :) so mayhap, fans
of hard rock may want to avoid if they can't stomach it, but everyone might
want to gander a listen. her voice is pensive and the music just kinda gets
you. very nice. and a welcome change from "boyz with guitarz" anyday...

more music: picked up the new grace pool cd called _where we live_. pretty
decent, easy-going, unoffensive pop. good fall music (which always makes
me happy). mixed by kevin killen. features david van tieghem on percussion
and luka bloom singing and playing guitar on a few tracks. anton sanko (in
suzanne vega's band) loaned them his s-1000. useless trivia. i like it,
but it's not outstanding.

yet more music: ac marius' _one of our girls_. yow. very nice. i listened
to it after listening to _garlands_ byt he twins and, while the two are
distinctively different, there are many similarities as well. anyone who
likes the twins should like her as well. she's on restless/mute so it's
available domesticly (same label as diamanda galas...heh heh heh :).

um, lessee, anythign else? nah...don't think so...

untillater...

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/02/90)

Really-From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>

Hello people :-),
        I very rarely post to Love-hounds, prefering to sit back and read what
everybody else has got to say. But theres been some things over the last few
weeks that I want to comment on.

On Vickie - Sorry Vickie, but I really think that when you say -

        KATE IS         NOT      INTO GURDJIEFF !!!!!!!!!!

are'nt you trying to say -

   I DONT _WANT_ KATE TO BE INTO GURDJIEFF !!!!!!!!!!

The way it comes accross is that you are trying to fit Kate in with your own
ideals.
        No flames please. Not an opinion, just an observation.

On EMI - Ne'mind Andy, the letter may not have been successful, but it was
definately the only thing to do.

On Outback - Ed.. how the hell did you get to here about OUTBACK ????
These guys live about three miles down the road from me ! They were playing
at my local pub not three months ago.
Isn't life strange.

On Sinead - Hmm.. I think one of the major problems is how the US national
anthem is viewed outside of the US. It is seen (by myself and people that I
know) to be an aggressive and threatening thing. Again, mostly because of
ignorance, the US is in general seen as an aggressive and threatening
country. If you ask some people over here to summarise the US, the major
images are McCarthyism, KKK, Dallas, and 'The Presidents Brain is Missing'.
Still, thats ignorance for you. I used to think that, until I started
reading newsletters like this, and actually listening to people like yourselves.
If you bear that in mind when condemning Sinead, then it might help to
see things from her point of view, whether it is wrong or right.
Anyway, enough of me...
        Jem,
                < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >
disclaimer : everything is a figment of your own imagination.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/90)

Really-From: abvax!iccgcc.decnet.ab.com!lieser@uunet.UU.NET

In article <26B755A880FFC03F5F@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>
>
> On Outback - Ed.. how the hell did you get to here about OUTBACK ????
> These guys live about three miles down the road from me ! They were playing
> at my local pub not three months ago.
> Isn't life strange.

I walked into a little record store in the Cleveland area and they were playing
the "Baka" CD.  So I bought a copy.  It's on Hannibal Records, released 1990.
The blurb on the jacket says "No preconception can prepare you for the joyfully
infectious sound of Outback.  The combination of guitar and the driving power
of the didgeridoo [sic?] is unique, very danceable, and surprising at every
turn."  I guess they're not small-time anymore, eh?

Ed Lieser

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/30/90)

Really-From: woj <woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu>

tom coleman asks about some KaTe items:

bird in the hand - a transfer of the hammersmith odeon film that is in poor
stereo. not a recommended purchase unless you can't find the video and you
can't find _KaTe bush: live_ which is a cd transfer of the japanese laserdisc
of the same show.

cathy's album too - the rest of the cathy demos not on _cathy's album_ (ex-
cepting "organic acid"). this is a good buy (tm) since it completes the set
of demos (as we know it now) and also features the demos from the tki sessions,
including the otherwhere unavailable "scares me silly".

"experiment iv" 12" - if you are buying the box set, don't bother. if you are
not, consider it. this has the long version of "experiment iv", the new vocal
of "wuthering heights" (also found on _the whole story_) and "december will
be magic again".

someone asks about rec.music.4ad:

um - don't bother. there already is a mailing list for the label. you can join
it by sending the following line to <listserv@jhuvm.bitnet>:

	sub 4ad-l <your full name>

and you can post to it by sending mail to <4ad-l@jhuvm.bitnet>. i really feel
that special interest groups devoted to single artists or a small group of
artists should not have their own newsgroup (KaTe included, but i guess it's
a bit too late to stop that from happening).

tippi: thanks for clearing up that bit with the possible canadian pressing
of the box set - i was getting real confused about where it might be appear-
ing and this is one less piece of the puzzle - though it is disheartening
that the set might not be gotten somewhat less cheaply than having to import
it from the uk...perhaps ied and derek should write a nice long letter to
rykodisc and see what they think of an american pressing of a KaTe KolleKTion
(kudos to vickie for that idea).

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/09/90)

Really-From: woj <woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu>

val nozick asks about his name is alive.

hnia is made up of warren defever providing instrumentation and two friends
of his doing vocals: karin oliver and angela carozzo. also, for shows, two
other folks, known only as jymn and melissa, help out too.

they started out as warren and angela recording a cassette in 1987 that
was pretty much ignored. this was in high school. in college, he met karin,
recorded some more which was also ignored. finally, they were noticed by
ivo watts-russell who eventually took it upon himself to remix their work
himself since warren was pretty much a technical know-nothing at the time.

warren says "it's like a fucked up minimal orchestra trying to play really
ethnic foreign folk music, arranged classically by an irresponsible youth,
and performed sloppily with guitars, voices and tape loops in a suburban
home in the middle of america."

he also adds "i mean, he took it all apart and didn't put it back together
again, i guess", with regards to ivo's remixing methods...

i guess they do shows in the michigan area on a random kind of basis. it'd
be nice if they did a real kind of tour though - i don't feel like going
to the american heartland to see them...

discography:

	"righteousness and apostrophe"		cassette	1987
	"his name is alive"			cassette	1987
	"i had sex with god"			cassette	1988
	"eutectic" (collaboration with fishcats on comission from
		harbringer dance company, detroit)		1989
	_livonia_				lp/cd/cass	1990

-----

on the prefab sprout debate. i picked up the new one about a month ago
and listened to it once. maybe i should listen again - yeah, i think i'll
go do that now...

-----

for those of you in the nyc area into 4ad bands, lush will be playing at
maxwell's on the 28th and the pixies will be playing at the ritz on the 30th.
see you all there - well, at maxweel's for certain...

maxwell's that is.

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/19/90)

Really-From: The Holy Lunching Friars of Voondoon <CARROLLJ%ALCBAN@KRDC.INT.Alcan.CA>

Well,
        What can I say. I guess that you will have heard about the con. by
now - but if you havent...I guess the one most important event being the
anouncement by KT (god She's incredible in real life!) that there is A
POSSIBILITY OF SOME SHOWS AT THE END OF NEXT YEAR!!! ARRGH!YEEOOOW! thankyou.
*IF* everything goes according to plan, that is - that was definitely stressed
I think the nicest bit is that she said 'We will be announcing it in January,
but I wanted to tell you first' (something like that).
Sketchy details I know, but you will here more about it over the next few days.
        Love,
                Jem xx
                < carrollj%alcban@krdc.int.alcan.ca >

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/09/90)

Really-From: the element of laughter <woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu>

ken asked about a few bootleg albums of KaTe's:

_if you could see me fly_ - assuming you are talking about the lp and not the
cd of the same name, this is a recording of some songs from the bill duffield
benefit show that KaTe organized and performed with steve harley and peter
gabriel.

_passing through air_ - a collection of b-sides dubbed from the singles. not
worth buying unless you don't have the box set or can't find someone to record
the b-sides discs from the box set for you. this does have "dreamtime" though
as well as the performance of "let it be" from the duffield show and "the
wedding list" from the prince's trust show.

i got three pictures in the mail of KaTe at the KonvenTion today from
meredith: getting the platinum tsw disc, reclining on the couch getting
a present and answering a question. while they are a bit small, they
are clear. seems at least one person got decent pictures. i'm guessing
that i now also have portraits of the backs of head of some love-hounds,
but i don't know for sure. :)

could someone please remind me what was on jorn's tape that he won?

a big welcome to another derek...

and that's it for now...

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (12/13/90)

Really-From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

Larry Spence positz:
> Wasn't there a posting here a while ago to the effect that each store was
> _assigned_ a certain quantity of Boxed Sets, implying that the distribution
> may have been "official," i.e., sanctioned by EMI and CBS?

oi! that was me. to be blunt, no. this "assigning" business was more a case
of how the imports were distributed to american stores initially, or at least
that is my understanding.

as far as i know, this has nothing to do with cbs, but has to do with whomever
handled the importing of the set. (the official importing anyways ;)

-=-=-=-

um, yeah, meredith did write a bit arout the KaTevenTion. i'll, um, edit it
a bit and post her experiences tomorrow - i don't think she'll mind.

-=-=-=-

greg: clarkson...clarkson...parting was such sweet sorrow. :)

-=-=-=-

if somebody kind with access to a postscript printer would be kind enough
to mail me a copy of the _tww_ booKleT when it is finished, i'd be most
appreciative as i do not have said access. anymore anyways.

woj

(who should be asleep, but is not)

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (02/04/91)

What IS the picture on the back of The Dreaming single???

About the lyric books - what format are they in? Were they made on a Mac
perchance?

mike
|         Michael Graham            |   We're two doctors...two big doctors - |
|       graham@ug.cs.dal.ca         |   we're not imposters.  - Woody Allen   |
|        mgraham@ac.dal.ca          |                               Sleeper   |

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (02/06/91)

um...

KaTe is, what, 5'1"? i forget the actual number, but she's *short*. and
she looks so *big* on that poster on the wall. :)

that interview picdisc i mentioned: this a record, not a cd and did not
come with an insert - just a clear plastic sleeve. the picture on the front
is KaTe in a white blouse, black blazer-like thing, one of bonnie or clyde
(the dogs on the _hol_ cover_) has its head in her lap and she has this
ridiculous "now what?" look of exasperation on her face. priceless. :) the
number on the back is "bush 7s".

incidentially, if anyone would like me to repost that interview, i gladly
will. not many people were on the list over the summer - and i don't think
|>oug was archiving articles (just the bulk list as a whole).

the picture on the back of "the dreaming" single is a fuzzy portrait of KaTe
with her hair all poofed. the print is also real grainy so she looks a little
bit stoned. it's a beautiful shot anyways. :)

does anybody have a copy of the london palladium show that appears on the
_dreamtime_ bootleg they are willing to trade a copy of to me? that's about
the only one that i'm missing (from the readily available shows) and i be-
lieve it also the one with the best audio.

woj

woiccare@PEBBLES.SCT.CLARKSON.EDU (02/16/91)

not much tonight...

i have a copy of _the garden_ if anyone wants it. if enought requests
come though, i'll post it to the list - but it *is* big, so it might
be better just to stick to personal requests rather than flooding the
world with it.

somebody asked about hex. greg summed them up pretty well. no, they
don't tour. however, on the acoustic tour that steve kilbey did last
fall, he did do a number of hex songs. like greg, i am quite partial
to the first release. the second, well, it just hasn't hit me yet. i
have tried about three times to listen to it and i just never quite
get past the first few songs.

somebody else asked about comparing box set sound with other cds of
the same album. well, i shall let derek and the "comparing contin-
gent" do that work - i have not even opened the non-b-sides jewel
boxes yet! :)

and finally: after being separated from a vcr for about six months,
during which time i had _the collection_, i finally was able to view
that cassette. the only new clips for me were the snl performance,
the performance of "suspended in gaffa", the "babooshka" with the
cloak and "them heavy people" ala tuxedo. not to bad - though the
video quality is pretty rotten. to be expected i suppose...but one
always wants the picture to look sharp. also, i recently got a copy
of an interview with victoria (or is it laura?) brown from a pro-
gram called "the new music" (canadian). interesting interview from
the time of _the whole story_. nothing terribly new, but KaTe sure
did seem more political than i had ever heard her when she talked o
of "experiment iv" and practically downright criticized the military
for exploiting the postive creations of science for destructive pur-
poses. while she didn't seem angry, i think she was a bit agitated
by the question...most intriguing. she also tied "cloudbusting" into
that theme as well. has anybody else (besides richard locke) seen
this interview?

woj

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (02/21/91)

re: the garden. i'd like to point out that what i have been calling _the
garden_ is only excepts of the original document wirtten by peter fitz-
gerald morris collated into a list of KaTe's knowm musical output by ied
and others over the past few years. it is also an old version dating from
jan of 1990. i'll still send people copies who request them though.. hope-
fully soon we will be able to get an updated version into the archives
perhaps.

re: hammersmith. i watched that three times over the weekend while i was inpossession of previously described

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (02/21/91)

the perils of using two different mailers is that sometimes you send off
letters when you think you are just going to edit them. where was i? oh
yes, hammersmith...

like i was saying, while i had the vcr over the weekend, i watched it three
times in rapid-fire succession. wowowowowow. i'll only deign to agree with
you all about the power of it. all i can say is that whenever she does tour,
i am going to become a palpitating mass of jelly when i see her. knowing
what a *video* does to me, i can't even imagine what the real thing will do
to my ability to talk cohesively and stand up. :)

um, i guess that's all i was going to say. for now.

woj

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (03/02/91)

neil calton sez:
> [hmv] had several copies of Vol. II of the rarities on sale separately
> for #24-99. At this outrageous price I assume they are imports.

imports from where? japan? was it in a longbox? or just the jewel box?
hmmm...perhaps this price reflects the high price of the boxed set? just
spouting off ideas (if nobody minds... :)

> They also had a boxed interview disc (two copies numbered 588 and 589)

that might have been me. i have seen that item in a shop in nyc (it's only
rock and roll" was the place i think). it was pricey there as well, so i
skipped it. i *think* this interview is the abbey road interview, but i am
probably wrong on that account...

Michael Graham sez:
> Nope, there is the T< symbol, and to the left is the Venus? symbol ( circle
> on top with down arrow attached). There is also a "1" in the circle.
> Take another look at the album (Somewhere in Time) - bottom left on the
> window...

(un)fortunately, i can't - my brother was the iron maiden fanatic in the
family (though i did see a concert of theirs and was most impressed) so i
can't look at the cover. the "venus" symbol you describe is derek riggs'
mark and jeff corroborates the KT symbol being there...weird...next time i
am in a mainstream record shop, i'll see if i can find the record...

goddess, that is trivial... :)

a million thanks to ron hill for the pix...no i know what a bunch of
love-hounds look like and none of you know what i look like (nyah nyah!!
no wait - some of you do, but...it's friday - i can be goofy :)

woj

woiccare@PEBBLES.SCT.CLARKSON.EDU (03/22/91)

hello all - and welcome to the many new faces...due to a few problems
with the dialups here, i have been a bit cut off from the net as far
news and mail goes, but it seems that the problem has been remedied.

so without further ado, a few responses.

mjm sez:
> does anyone out there remember Vickie's new email address?

if i recall correctly, chris and vickie had to disconnect their
phone service, so they can not longer access the net, but for the
record, it was <katefans@chinet.chi.il.us>.

hargie sez:
> Now now all - let's look at this closely!  How can any of us say ONE album
> is best

agreed. KaTe's albums are so varied in their style and mood that i do not
feel that any comparison is valid - except for personal ones. if _the dream-
ing does more for *you*, thatn fine - just don't go saying that one is "bet-
ter" than the other. i consider *that* the real heresay.

Joel Antipuesto sez:
> I just picked up this CD yesterday and was wondering if these recordings
> are the Cathy Demos I've heard about.  Are there more than these (there
> are 18 tracks on the CD - isn't there supposed to thrity-some-odd demos
> out)?

yes...the _if you could see me fly_ cd subsumes the tracks from the
cathy demos that were on the lp _cathy's album_. these tracks can also
be found on volumes 2-4 of the _cathy demos_ series of eps. there are
more demos available on the _passing through air_ cd, the _cathy's album
too_ lp, a cassette called either _the sensual woman_ or _fiddle_ and
the other two volumes of the _cathy demos_ eps (1 and 5 - which includes
the psychotic "duet" with her brother john, "organic acid", more properly
titled "before the fall").

incidentially, the two demos for "babooshka" that appear on the _if you
could see me fly_ cd are not part of the cathy demos.

um, i have some other tidbits, but they will have to wait for now...off to
hoboken to catch ride.

woj

woiccare@PEBBLES.SCT.CLARKSON.EDU (the element of laughter) (03/23/91)

lush and ride are touring separately, though occasionally their shows will
coincide in the same place at the same time (give or take an hour) as in
boston. i saw ride last night and they were mighty good. my ears are still
ringing.

KaTe did not perform in ireland during the tour of life.

arson garden might be around. i'm not sure. i remember them saying that
they would be working on a new album sometime, but i've no clue if it is
going to happen or not.

speaking of new albums, caterwaul is currently in the process of creating
their fourth (or so i've heard). looking forward to that. they are working
with producer david oglivie again. should be interesting.

woj

(a KontenTless posT if i ever saw one)

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (03/25/91)

Judi McKernan sez:
>   What is "Under The Ivy"?

the b-side to the single for "the big sky". also available on the misc-
ellaneous cds in the box set.

>   There was a reference to a KaTe Bush World tour in 91-92. Is this a joke,
> or what?

at the KonvenTion this past fall, KaTe made mention that there was the
possibility of some live dates in the future. no one knows for sure whe-
ther she was being definite or not, but i gather that it was a bit more
positive than the usual "i'd like to do live shows again", so perhaps...

>   I have "The Kick Inside," "Never For Ever", "Lionheart", "The Dreaming",
> "Hounds Of Love", "The Sensual World", and "The Whole Story" on CD; and
> "The Mini-4 LP" on tape. Are there other releases I should know about, and if
> so, where/how can I get them?

the only album you have not listed is _never for ever_. it should be easy
to find in your local average record store. if it is not in the racks, thay
should be able to order it. if not, then go to another record store. :)

there is also the aforementioned box set which includes all six studio
albums and two cds (or three lps) that sum together that majority of
her b-sides (sans a few). this is only for the truly dediKaTed or the
hopelessly addiKTed as it is a steep price to pay to double up albums
and to get the b-sides.

ther are also a number of illegitimate releases that include early demo
recordings, live performaces (from her only tour and various radio and
tv performaces) and interviews. these are also only for the hopelessly
addiKTed or the fanaTiK KolleKTor.

woj

woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.EDU (the element of laughter) (04/09/91)

hi ho, kermit the frog here reporting...well not really, but...

yeah, KaTe did a *whole bunch* of station ids back during the _hol_ period.
i have one of her iding whrw in binghamton, ny (home for me). it's quite
silly actually since she mis-pronounces the name of the city "bing-hamp-ton"
(in typical fashion - *everybody* mucks up the name of that city). unfortu-
nately, the tape that i had it on self-destructed a few months ago, but not
before i dubbed it. however, that tape that it is on is now in germany...i'll
be joining it next week though for a week long vacation visiting meredith in
munich, so i should be able to get it back soon. and i'll bring all hello's
and hi's from the love-hounds to her as well...

ed: just wear the damn KaTe shirt. if you want to, wear it. who cares what
edie thinks of it if you like wearing it. :)

skinnerbox: hmmm...how to describe? well, hang on a bit and let me put it on
the stereo...alright. darkish sounding, very dramatic (or perhaps theatrical).
if you like hugo largo or hetch hetchy, you'll probably like skinnerbox as
well. they have two albums: an eponymous debut and the latest (from last sum-
mer) called _the playhouse_. i like them. quite a bit (disclaimer: those com-
praisons are *approximate!* :)

the machine: they play alot in the new york/new england area. as deb sez, they
are worth checking out if you are a floyd fan.

i'm a bit behiond the times, but bear with me...

fave KaTe album: called me a heretic, but i like _never for ever_. i con-
sider it, as many others do, the bridge between the pop "old" KaTe and the
intricate "new" KaTe. and as far as i'm concerned, it's perfect. it captures
both essences of her sensuality and her creativity. neither of which i can
do without...

fave KaTe tune: "the morning fog" followed closely by "my lagan love", "unde
the ivy" and "burning bridge".

thoughts on _lionheart_: it seems i like this album more than the average
love-hound as well. hoever, where detractors can identify what it is about
it that they don't like, i have *no idea* what it is that attracts me to it.
but every once in a while, i get consumed by a need to hear "symphony in blue"
and "fullhouse". _lionheart_ is a "continuation" of _tki_ in some ways, but
the songs are distinctly different, darker in many ways and more maniacal i
think. perhaps that is what attracts me to this album...i am not sure.

michael: tell me more about this (probably) bootleg cd that you ordered. from
who? was there any additional information? my guess (and this is just con-
jecture!) is that this will be the demos in a different format. similar things
have happened with the hammersmith film's audio track. there are two cds of
the hammersmith show: _burning desires_ (which is a poor quality transfer from
the video) and _KaTe bush live_ which is transfered from the laserdisc.

also, just a warning to KolleKTors: there are *two* covers for _if you could
see me fly_. one is the closeup that bears resemblance to the back of the
_lionheart_ cd and the other is the red sundress shot with the double bass.

woj

ed@das.llnl.GOV (Edward J. Suranyi) (04/10/91)

>ed: just wear the damn KaTe shirt. if you want to, wear it. who cares what
>edie thinks of it if you like wearing it. :)

All right, you people have me convinced!  Say, is there anybody else
going to their show in Berkeley?

>fave KaTe album: called me a heretic, but i like _never for ever_.
>woj

Call you a heretic?  No way!  That's been MY favorite album as well,
for the last few months.  I mean:  "Egypt", "The Infant Kiss",
"Army Dreamers", "Breathing", and parts of "Blow Away" and "All We
Ever Look For":  What more needs to be said?

Ed
ed@@das.llnl.gov

REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET (woj) (05/22/91)

richard caldwell sez:
>Was this first album on the same record label?  If so why is it being
>released on CD after they've lost their record contract?  I've never
>seen _The Nature of Things_ in any format.

no - _the nature of things_ was released on some small label located in
pheonix, arizona whose name i can never remember (valerie, if you're
reading this, help me out). it is them who are releasing the cd, not irs
records.

>It does seem that they were moving towards a harder edge between _Pin &
>Web_ and _Portent Hue_ and I actually like that.

um...the differences i see between _pin and web_ and _portent hue_ are more
in the area of style and production, as opposed to hardness. _portent hue_
has a quality to the sound which seems to my ear to be smoother and easier
to swallow actually. while i don't know yet if i like that change, i know
i like the album lots and lots (parse that).

>In fact, one person
>warned me away from their earlier stuff saying it was a bit too light.

au contrare! even if it was "too light" in the perspective of this person,
that should not disaude you from searching for this rare slab'o'vinyl (and
soon to be someday cd). in my view though, it is as maniacal at the other
two...and betsy is even harder to understand and, ahem, caterwauls better
than ever.

>In any case please keep us notified of further developments.

will do. i'm gonna send them a note soon and find out from them what is going
on with their situation.

greg say:
>saturday, july 27th does seem to be the ideal day to hold a KaTemas
>party;  unless anyone has an objection this will be the boston area
>date as well.

sounds marvy to me - i'll be there (and greg: i have a door prize for
the party as well - somehow or another, i ended up with an extra copy
of the _if you could see me fly_ cd which i think would be a keen gift
of sorts).

you know, if i had been birthed on time (instead of two days early), i'd
be sharing a b-day with her...

>keep the dreams coming!

alright...i've had two, but only can remember sketchy details of the second
one. for some reason or another, i was in england. it was gray and cloudy,
but i suppose that was to be expected. anyways, it was summer and i had been
invited to visit her at her parents' summer home. so i hoped on my bicycle
and trundled off to where the directions that they had given me indicated.
i got lost once, when i missed the wooded lane that lead up to their drive,
but a quick turnabout in the next intersection remedied that. and as i was
heading back towards the turn, KaTe drove by, waved and continued on. being
on a bike, i took a bit longer to get there, but i did. unfortunately, i
woke up as i was knocking on the door of the house.

i do know that when i dream, i tend to be more awake than most people, so
the active part of my brain that was all excited about this visit apparently
got over-excited and woke me up! :)

>it would be much easier to go via TIFF or PICT format and skip the
>EPS editing, but tifftopgm is rejecting the imagestudio TIFF files.
>sorry for bothering y'all with this stuff, but surely there is an
>old GIFer out there who has some suggestions...?

hmmm...when i did my scans last year, i converted them from the amiga iff
format to gifs by the pbm package written by jef poskanzer. worked liked
a charm (once i got the damn thing to compile on a really old 3b2, ie.
pebbles). i'm fairly certain that pbm supports tiff, but i haven't looked
at that stuff in almost a year (and i don't have access to said amiga
anymore - it's about 400 miles away from me now).

>repeat question:  is there a KaTe.gif index?  (Ron?)

did i make one for the gifs i created? i don't remember...it might be in
the 00readme file i put in /love-hounds/kb/pix/gif.new, but i don't recall
if i ever made it. tonight though, i'll check and if there isn't one, i
will create an index for the gifs i have done at least.

angelos sez:
>BTW In Greek 'gafa' means blunder...Could it be that THAT is what gaffa really
>means?

i've always wondered about this. i once (long ago) made the suggestion that
it was a pun (of sorts) on the word "gaffe", which is akin to a social faux
pas. so suspended in gaffa would mean something like "eternally goofing up"
(or something like that). i'm not sure how this fits into the rest of the
song, but "can i have it all?" surely seems to me like a possible candidate
for a faux pas.

ray peck sez:
>With all this FrippTalk, I thought I'd contribute:
>On MTV Music News this past weekend, there was an item that said:
>"Robert Fripp, leader of arguably the most powerful Art-rock band
>of the 70's, King Crimson, plans to form a new version of that band
>this fall."  They also mentioned the new Fripp/Toyah disk.

two weeks ago, i listened to an interview with fripp and toyah on a local
radio station down here in nj. as i recall, there was no mention of a king
crimson reunion, but that would be welcome news if there was. they did play
a number of tracks from the fripp/toyah release. pretty snazzy (at least
what i heard and remember was pretty snazzy).
--
woj   zengineer/dj for hire/goofball      "one of the band told me last
work: rewoicc@erenj.bitnet                 night that music was all that

rhill@pnet01.cts.COM (Ronald Hill) (05/29/91)

Well, a sychronisity (whatever) for me was at the kate con when I happened to
be standing next to some else from San Diego, who has become the only Kate fan
I know in person!

I don't know why Richard Frost would think I would know Kate's address!!! But
the next time she calls me I'll be sure and ask her!!! :-)  I was at Kate's
farm, and could probably figure out that adress if needed, but I think IED has
it.  Count me in on the flowers!!! Though I do has something else I hope to
send to Kate for her birthday, details later...

Boy do my ears hurt from straining to here whats on these tapes!!

Oh, and thanks to Richard Frost for the Cloudbusting encouragent.  It'll be
done REAL SOON NOW!  :-)

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com

rhill@pnet01.cts.COM (Ronald Hill) (06/01/91)

     Well, Steve Williams got me going with his "experiment IV" question so I
tried sampling the area on my Amiga.  I haven't as yet found out anything more
about the "secret message", however I did find a backwards sound I wasn't
aware of.  Right at the end of "it could feel so good" line at 2:29 in the
song you can hear in the background a sound rising up.  What this sound is is
the sound of a Jet engine reversing its engines played backards!  Ray Russell
noticed it when we were tring to find anything backwards.

        Also, American Movie Classic, a cable channel, is going to show
"Wuthering Heights" at  4pm and 11pm on Sunday.  I assume it's the same time
all accross the country.  I can't wait as I haven't actually seen it.
[embaressed look].

        I hope everybodies enjoying the interviews I have been typing in.
Here's another - see next message.

Ron "Happyless" Hill

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com

REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET (a long kebab through your ovaries) (06/04/91)

Charles Boyer asks:
>I hope that folks don't find this question heretical, but I was wondering
>if the Penssylvania band The Innocence Mission had come out with a second
>disk...

so far, nope. sad to say.

>Last year, when People magazine reviewed the debut album for TIM, they
>made strong comparisons between Perris and Kate's vocal structures.

the reason for this was the accompanying hype sheet that came with the
promotional 12" of "black sheep wall". a&m records claimed (much to my
annoyance) that karen sounded just like KaTe. what they should have
sated was that karen attributed to KaTe much of her inspiration to be
a singer.

R.L. McMillin informs us:
>But... did you also know that
>the Firesign Theater used that same speech in the end of their album,
>"How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?"?
>Of course, the effect is slightly *different*... the speaker is that
>perpetual flimflam artist cum used-car salesman, Ralph Spoilsport...
>I don't know if this one made it to CD, but it's definitely worth a
>listen.

"i know - let's stand him on his head!"

thud.

"awww, he's no fun. he fell down."

not on cd as far as i know (are there any firesign theatre releases on
cd for that matter?).

i spell my name w..w..woj

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU (Jeff Burka) (06/04/91)

w..w..woj asks:

>not on cd as far as i know (are there any firesign theatre releases on
>cd for that matter?).

Yes...a friend of mine was playing one (damn! can't remember the title)
for me a week ago...it's one o' of the MFS gold CDs.

Did anybody ever think to complain that Mobile Fidelity, with their great
line of "classic" albums on gold CD, has never released any KaTe albums?

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |

kkluge@MATERNA.DE (Klaus Kluge) (06/06/91)

___ some days ago _Vickie_ (Hi Vickie!) wrote _____________________________

> All of us had come up with some very inventive words that were as wrong
> as could possibly be. I think Happy had a grand time with it all. In the

And I thought I didn't get it all because it's not my native tongue.
Reading now that I'm not the only one is a great relief (the "hundred
billion bottles washed upon the shore" surprise).

> sounded like "I put on my traveling suit" and it was logical, so I sang
> it that way to myself. Getting the lyrics and finding out the line was

Just try to imagine what I am singing to myself (only in my head of course).
When there is a word or phrase I don't understand I accept the sound as a
word. And because of my limited vocabulary it's very likely to be a word
which doesn't exist or has a completely different meaning. Reading the
lyrics later is a great source of amazement.

> continued to sing it my way. Happy said "wait a minute, you mean she's NOT
> singing 'traveling suit'?" She had heard it that way too and had never
> checked the lyric sheet to correct it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Well, don't trust lyric sheets! You really can't rely on them. How often
have you found differences between the words on the paper and the words in
your ears? Probably some lyrics are printed before the final recording is
done, or an earlier version goes to print. So maybe you are right? Maybe
KaTe was singing 'travelling suit' and the lyrics are wrong. Just keep
singing 'travelling'.

___ later, _John Grigutis_ (Hi John!) wrote _______________________________

> season's hurricanes, I came upon one that particularly caught my eye:
> Kate!  Wouldn't it be a great omen if with the coming of Hurricane
> Kate, also came the real Kate? Say with her "upcoming" "world" "tour"

Let's hope that our hopes for a tour aren't blown away by it.

___ a lot of folks (Hi all!) wrote ________________________________________

> ... curmudgeon ...

So I finally had to look it up in my dictionary.
... So that's what it means!
...... It's a _Brummbar_ (with 2 dots above the 'a')!  ;-)

 He thought he was gonna die. But he didn't.   | Klaus Kluge
 She thought she could never cope but she did. | kkluge@Materna.DE
 We thought it was all over. But it wasn't     |----------------------
 ...... it hadn't started yet.         (KaTe)  | (Unicornuus Marinus)

REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET (the jersey devil) (06/10/91)

ted beatie laments that t'pau is "another band that makes an album and
goes". well, i'd like to inform him that this is not necessarily the case.
previous to _bridge of spies_ (the album that contained the single "heart
and soul"), there was a release called _rage_ which, as far as i know,
has not been released in america. furthermore, there is a forthcoming
record to be released within a few weeks. so lament not. and visit your
local record store.

with regards to the flap over the rec.music.gaffa/rec.music.happy trans-
formation, spawning a mailing list for her might not be a bad idea - it's
already happened with the siberry mailing list (which has been mucho quiet
as of late, but no matter) as the major complaint seems to be one more
related to volume than anything else (the prosyletizing aside, which is
easily ignored).

michael graham (re)asks about the lines "running up that road..." from
"ruth". perhaps the reason that nobody has answered your question is that
nobody has a clue as to what it means. i know i don't...
--
woj   zengineer/dj for hire/goofball      "one of the band told me last
work: rewoicc@erenj.bitnet                 night that music was all that
play: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu    he's got in his life" -KT
 - society of dark birds: fegmaniax-request@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu -

REWOICC@ERENJ.BITNET (walking toast) (06/28/91)

andrew russ sez:
>the mumbling at the end of "Love and Anger", etc. etc.?

i was listening to that over and over again two nights ago and still
can't decipher it, though to my ear, it sounds like she's saying "it's
born in jersey" or "let's call it jersey". you go figure.

Shane wrote:
>>>I found the similarity between Happy and Kate striking

Jon replied:
>>I still don't see more than a passing similarity in Happy's higher voice.

jeffy added:
>That's 'cause you know KaTe's voice too well.

well, i'd like to think that know KaTe's voice pretty well. still, my
head snapped around the first time i heard happy's higher register much
in the same way that my head snapped around the first time i heard roy
harper's "once" when KaTe sings the b-vox (without knowing that she did).
i think the initial listen, when your not ready for it, will catch you
you off guard, but a careful listen or repeated listens will reveal the
differences.

larry spence sez:
>Hey, I heard KERA-FM (Dallas public radio: mellow new folk, lounge jazz, and
>non-threatening world muzak) play "Watching You Without Me" last night (I was
>driving, about the only time I hear any radio).  This is a station that almost
>_never_ plays anything that might put listeners on edge... I was pleasantly
>surprised. %)

i wonder if any listeners were hooked...

finally remembered my camera while driving through pennsylvania last
weekend and snapped a shot of the KT's truck stop sign. methinks i'll
send homeground a copy.

woj@work (a little bit anyways - it *is* friday)